2024 Solar Eclipse - never too early to get ready

Wally Fairway

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

With regards to the "temperatures drop" claim, my nerd self recorded the air temperature off KXAN every five minutes from the start to well past totality.  Conclusion?  Eh.  Maybe temperature didn't rise as much as it might have in a normal day, but it wasn't like a cold front blew through.  I suspect what people are perceiving is a reduced level of radiative heating, even though the air, which is a giant thermal "capacitor", doesn't cool off:

image.png.c34b38727d795f729b4a29b1163fb9b0.png

During the partial eclipse last fall, it was a 10 degree drop.  Today, in totality, it wasn't as drastic, and we didn't get the big wind shifts we got during the partial event last fall.  But what a show.  I'm so glad the clouds broke for us.

12 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yep, I listened to a guy on NPR a month or so ago talking about how you should do whatever you can to get in the path of totality, and as deep into it as you can get. He emphasized how precious it is and how you should try to get as much time in totality as possible. He was right.

I could’ve stayed home, gone to the northernmost part of Dublin and seen 1:23 of totality. I could’ve stopped in Delaware and seen 2:35 of totality. Instead I drove on to Marion and got 3:34 of totality. Every extra second of jaw-dropping wonder was worth it. I’m so lucky that I could leave a little after noon and be back around 5:00. 

1000%

We listened to The Daily on the way out there and "Mr Eclipse" was talking about how impactful his first total eclipse was on the rest of his life. I honestly thought it was a little much and maybe he was just a wackadoodle. Nope. I get it now. All three of my kids really enjoyed it too. My middle son is skeptical of pretty much everything and I could tell leading up to today that he was happy to get out of school and was humoring me with his interest, but that shit went out the window the moment totality hit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/08/podcasts/the-daily/mr-eclipse.html

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Yep. There was a huge one at about 5 o'clock.

CHIEF

i was wondering what that was. 

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

someone smarter than me needs to capture this series of images and make a .gif

load it right now and you can see the giant 1000-mile wide blob of darkness travel through texas

pretty incredible

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector_band.php?sat=G16&sector=sp&band=01&length=24

going in, i thought this was way overhyped.  but i get it now.  that was amazing.

Eclipse(1).gif

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

1000%

We listened to The Daily on the way out there and "Mr Eclipse" was talking about how impactful his first total eclipse was on the rest of his life. I honestly thought it was a little much and maybe he was just a wackadoodle. Nope. I get it now. All three of my kids really enjoyed it too. My middle son is skeptical of pretty much everything and I could tell leading up to today that he was happy to get out of school and was humoring me with his interest, but that shit went out the window the moment totality hit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/08/podcasts/the-daily/mr-eclipse.html

I see that now.  This was my first and it was breathtaking.  The crowd audibly gasped.  Some cheered.  A woman next to me "My God.  Look at it.  It's awesome."

Easily one of my top 5 experiences ever.

• Hook 'Em 3

We watched it out in the sticks between Bracketville and Eagle Pass, right on the line. Cloudy, but we did get glimpses leading up to totality, and then maybe 2 or 2.5 minutes of totality (out of 4.5). I tore the lenses out of a pair of eclipse glasses and taped them over a pair of binoculars. Pretty spectacular. 

Birds shut down, insects disappeared, could see what I guessed was Venus, and apparently I was right. 

Even my 13 yr old was all like: 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, George said:

What’s the little red dot around 5:00? I noticed that with naked eye but had no clue what it was. 

I believe the are solar flares. My friend got a better view of them with his longer lens.

FB_IMG_1712619153563.thumb.jpg.29a43691a39676f0dfd524e36b6c1f58.jpg

FB_IMG_1712619147758.thumb.jpg.c0848da06ceae8a05916d8c36fa9077c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

July 22, 2028 there’s a total eclipse for Australia with Sydney smack in the middle of it with an estimated time of totality of over an hour. That would be insane. My BFF and his wife live in Brissie, looks like I may need to head down unda for it

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, SubliminalHorn said:

July 22, 2028 there’s a total eclipse for Australia with Sydney smack in the middle of it with an estimated time of totality of over an hour. That would be insane. My BFF and his wife live in Brissie, looks like I may need to head down unda for it

Going to hang out at Marubra all day

• Hook 'Em 1

Went out to the Hill Country where the in-laws live. Lots of clouds during totality, but it was cool to see how dark it got.

Honestly, the 3.5 hours it took to get home instead of the normal two hours made the event seem like it wasn't worth it. Maybe I would have felt different it it wasn't cloudy?

4 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

An hour?

Furk, I'm in. Let's get a shaggy group together. 

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Similar story for me.  My best bud lives about an hour north of Sydney.  If his gig is still going then, I'm there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yea no

The longest known totality was 7 minutes and 28 seconds in 743 B.C. However, NASA says this record will be broken in 2186 with a 7 minute, 29 second total solar eclipse. The next total solar eclipse visible from parts of the U.S. won't happen until Aug. 23, 2044.6

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Yea no

The longest known totality was 7 minutes and 28 seconds in 743 B.C. However, NASA says this record will be broken in 2186 with a 7 minute, 29 second total solar eclipse. The next total solar eclipse visible from parts of the U.S. won't happen until Aug. 23, 2044.6

Are you saying the internet is a liar sometimes 

regardless, still wanna go to Sydney for it

Edited by SubliminalHorn

34 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

That eclipse will not be longer than 5 min 15 seconds anywhere. A little bit longer than this one. That doesn't mean you should miss it though!

35 minutes ago, speed817 said:

I believe the are solar flares. My friend got a better view of them with his longer lens.

FB_IMG_1712619153563.thumb.jpg.29a43691a39676f0dfd524e36b6c1f58.jpg

FB_IMG_1712619147758.thumb.jpg.c0848da06ceae8a05916d8c36fa9077c.jpg

I think these are called solar prominences? I saw an orange dot and did not realize what it was until you posted these photos. Thanks!

I'm not sure why they are red/orange though.

46 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Went out to the Hill Country where the in-laws live. Lots of clouds during totality, but it was cool to see how dark it got.

Honestly, the 3.5 hours it took to get home instead of the normal two hours made the event seem like it wasn't worth it. Maybe I would have felt different it it wasn't cloudy?

Sorry about your luck. If you don't get a good look at totality, you miss the good part. A total eclipse is like nothing else you have ever seen. That includes any pictures you have seen before, which just don't capture how unreal it looks. All the leadup where the sun turns crescent, things get dark, is cool but not unreal like the eclipsed sun.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

Sorry about your luck. If you don't get a good look at totality, you miss the good part. A total eclipse is like nothing else you have ever seen. That includes any pictures you have seen before, which just don't capture how unreal it looks. All the leadup where the sun turns crescent, things get dark, is cool but not unreal like the eclipsed sun.

We were in same boat. Damn, didn’t realize how bad we missed it.  Guess I might get a reunion trip to Oz in a few years.  

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Sydney will get a total eclipse for about 3 minutes 50 seconds, at about 2 pm.

We got really lucky in Mason.  Mostly clear and got to see all of totality.  10 minutes after it clouded up and we only got occasional glimpses going the other way.  So glad we stuck it out and went.  Traffic getting home was real shitty, but still worth it.  We saw stars during totality which was badass.

• Hook 'Em 1