2018 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

Night #3 of no furnace, here I come!  This sucks so bad.  Guy today came, replaced two parts, and left 5 hours later having fixed nothing.  They're stumped.  If I didn't have a gas fireplace I'd be so hosed.

At least I managed to fix the dishwasher that died yesterday. It sits against an exterior wall. When I pulled it out (heh, heh) there was frost on the wall and the pipe had frozen.  Thawed it out and we're good to go.

My furnace died out Monday morning.   I need a whole new system.  They're installing it Saturday.  Thankfully I'm in Arlington and while it's cold it's not below zero.  It was however 57 Tuesday morning and 58 this morning, in the house.  The two space heaters make a difference and the weather here is warming up.  TexasHooch's problem makes me feel much better about mine though I've got to drop $4500 to replace everything including the ducts.

Night #3 of no furnace, here I come!  This sucks so bad.  Guy today came, replaced two parts, and left 5 hours later having fixed nothing.  They're stumped.  If I didn't have a gas fireplace I'd be so hosed.
At least I managed to fix the dishwasher that died yesterday. It sits against an exterior wall. When I pulled it out (heh, heh) there was frost on the wall and the pipe had frozen.  Thawed it out and we're good to go.

Wow...a little relief this weekend temperature wise but still...I hope you don't have any little ones running around

Fixed!  3rd crew in 3 days came first thing this morning and had it diagnosed and fixed within an hour.  The PVC drain pipe that runs along the wall from the unit to the drain pipe froze up.  That's it... 16 man hours and 2 expensive (and completely unnecessary) part replacements later, they determined that it was a 10 minute replacement of $10 worth of PVC.  

As frustrating as it's been, it really wasn't that bad in the grand scheme of things.  With a gas fireplace and 4 space heaters, we've been able to keep most of the house at a fairly comfortable temp.  For the kids, the boredom of being locked in the house was a far bigger problem than the temperature within it.  As or the repair, it didn't cost us a dime.  Parts and labor were warrantied and the placement of the drain pipe so close to an exterior wall was deemed an installation error.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Fixed!  3rd crew in 3 days came first thing this morning and had it diagnosed and fixed within an hour.  The PVC drain pipe that runs along the wall from the unit to the drain pipe froze up.  That's it... 16 man hours and 2 expensive (and completely unnecessary) part replacements later, they determined that it was a 10 minute replacement of $10 worth of PVC.  

As frustrating as it's been, it really wasn't that bad in the grand scheme of things.  With a gas fireplace and 4 space heaters, we've been able to keep most of the house at a fairly comfortable temp.  For the kids, the boredom of being locked in the house was a far bigger problem than the temperature within it.  As or the repair, it didn't cost us a dime.  Parts and labor were warrantied and the placement of the drain pipe so close to an exterior wall was deemed an installation error.

hate to ask, but what's to keep the drain pipe from freezing again?

25 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

hate to ask, but what's to keep the drain pipe from freezing again?

They rerouted the pvc pipe that led from the furnace, across the floor, to the floor drain. It now travels away from the exterior wall instead of along it.  That minor temperature differential will make all the difference the next time it gets -25 degrees outside.  Even if it does freeze up again, now that I know, I'll just warm up the pipe.

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Record low temperatures and they didn't think ice might be the problem?  Some real scientific rockets there.

Reminds me of when I walked into the ER on a landscaping job, wasp stung me in the upper lip and it swelled up like a cantaloupe.   Go up to the window, looking fairly like the Elephant Man's mouth, and without even blinking, completely emotionless, droll old lady looks at me and says (and being 100% serious), "What are you here for?"

So we're in soupy but warm conditions for the next 3-4 days... Mon and Tues are going to get near 80°.  The lows on Monday and Tuesday nights are going to be almost the daytime normal.   Then that "cold" cold front that was expected on Wednesday has moderated into a "cool" cold front - temps in the mid-50's, not barely 40°.  Winter will be back, but a kinder, gentler winter.

That's the way uh huh, uh huh, I like it...

Stupid question alert,
To people who live in weather with Highs of 25 degrees and lows of -4 on the regular
What's the daily get up for clothing? Are we talking long johns? 
I dont spend ample amounts outside...carhartt socks,Columbia boots,jeans tshirt hoodie jacket stocking cap and gloves.

Now if I'm blowing snow...face mask,goggles, snow pants get added to the mix. Ain't nobody got time to get that shit thrown in your face
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Stupid question alert,

To people who live in weather with Highs of 25 degrees and lows of -4 on the regular

Just a heavy jacket, and I make sure I have hat and gloves in the vehicle, if you're talking just going about daily commuting (going to work, out to dinner, shopping).

If I'm spending significant time outside, it's multiple layers.  I have workout clothes built for cold weather, that I'll use down to about that -5 mark.  Several layers of dry fit type material, with a Nike jacket designed to buffer the wind and trap heat.  Heavy socks, gloves, and a balaclava (face mask/head wrap combo) if it's real windy.  If I'm outside for an extended period of time in that weather, but not exercising, than it's jeans and a sweat shirt underneath my Carhartt overalls, and a Carhartt coat.  I don't use long johns all that much these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Just a heavy jacket, and I make sure I have hat and gloves in the vehicle, if you're talking just going about daily commuting (going to work, out to dinner, shopping).

If I'm spending significant time outside, it's multiple layers.  I have workout clothes built for cold weather, that I'll use down to about that -5 mark.  Several layers of dry fit type material, with a Nike jacket designed to buffer the wind and trap heat.  Heavy socks, gloves, and a balaclava (face mask/head wrap combo) if it's real windy.  If I'm outside for an extended period of time in that weather, but not exercising, than it's jeans and a sweat shirt underneath my Carhartt overalls, and a Carhartt coat.  I don't use long johns all that much these days.

Appreciate the feedback. Yeah just daily commute. I just didn’t want to be the dumbass not prepared. 

We've been below zero since Saturday night and wont get back above it until Friday afternoon (forecast highs Friday - Sunday only around 4 above).  But I'm not hearing anyone whining like a bitch like everyone from Minnesota (not counting you @MNLonghornFUKM) and points east did last week when it was cold there for a couple of days. 

Stupid question alert,
A coat, gloves and other survival gear in the pickup. Just walk fast when you're going to Walmart.

When you gotta work outside (blowing snow, etc), good gloves, and toboggan cap and coat. You'll be surprised how much moderate exercise keeps you warm.

Some other pointers:
1) Wool socks are a miracle. Not sure why it took me so long to figure it out.
2) You lose a lot of heat from your head, and don't neglect your neck. A scarf is good, but when you gotta get serious, get you a neck gaitor.
3) Modern long underwear; that "waffle stuff," under something that keeps the wind out.
4) Wind chill is real, and it's scary. I got frostbite on my hands last week. First time in my life.

Lastly, don't be afraid, and don't use it as an excuse. I see people out jogging in negative temps. Dress accordingly and get after it.

Conversely, heat. How do you guys handle it? Anything above 85 and I'm rendering.