Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

49 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Doesn't Norway produce a ton of natural gas? Surprised to see Finland so high, but I guess it makes sense geographically when Russia isn't trying to take over another fucking country.

Norway extracts oil from the North Sea, I don't know what they do with the Gas but it is possible.

50 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It's a good thing those Russian rockets have a very shitty detonation rate.  A whole bunch of them are just big lawn darts.

I am behind but that is the housing of a cluster bomb. So likely evidence of what we would consider a war crime. Pootin evidently doesn't care. 

2 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Just remember using gas is against the Geneva conventions, farting monk. 

At this point I will take my chances and get a good lawyer to argue my case in the Hague with the tribunal.  I gave them my assurance that I wasn't going to use gas but I never gave my guarantee.  

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Following Zelenskyy’s Twitter (the replies) it looks like a few thousand people are so are taking up the call to join his foreign fighters deal. Hopefully, they can hold off that convoy because it will become much harder to join that fight if not impossible for those trying to get in to fight. 

Nope.  Russian troops encircling Kyiv?  AWESOME.   Look at all the places on that circle I can attack from OUTSIDE the circle (hint: it's ALL of them):

circle-clipart-small-2_imagelarge.png

31 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Title is its own content warning:

1 -- propaganda and stories of atrocities will be flying fast and furious.  There's no way to tell if any one of them is true, or is just flat propaganda.

2 -- that said.....ask any eastern German who had grandparents there in the war how grandma felt about Russian soldiers.  It's SOP.

23 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

As a Marine Reservist in 1980, I was issued C rations packed in 1942.  

Spoiled bastards.  Did they run out of crayons?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Hey did anyone respond to what the thread title translates to yet?

Also - to the comment earlier about the sanctions impact.  Under what scenario would those be withdrawn?  If Putin were to actually control Ukraine - I can't imagine any of the western countries choosing to remove them. But even if somehow someway - Putin accepted defeat and withdrew all forces, why would we let up?  He very well could just attack again in the future.  I'd argue they should stick until he is disposed of and the actions condemned by the replacement government/leader.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Also - to the comment earlier about the sanctions impact.  Under what scenario would those be withdrawn?  If Putin were to actually control Ukraine - I can't imagine any of the western countries choosing to remove them. But even if somehow someway - Putin accepted defeat and withdrew all forces, why would we let up?  He very well could just attack again in the future.  I'd argue they should stick until he is disposed of and the actions condemned by the replacement government/leader.

I believe that's exactly what will happen.  Regardless of what happens in Ukraine, there is no resolution or end to the sanctions that involves Putin remaining in power.  He just ended his career.

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Ah, afternoons after school. These non-binaries underneath their dart-free woke skies will never know true fun.

I never got hit. We’d play until someone got nailed pretty hard. The shrieks of pain meant we had to stop, no matter how many times we called the guy a pussy. Never saw one get embedded, but plenty of broken skin and bruises that lasted for days. Those things were pretty heavy, too. The pictures don’t do them justice. Those weighted heads were serious business. Just stupid in retrospect, but unfortunately not even remotely the stupidest things we ever did. 

16 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Russian Ship, go fuck yourself

17 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

george-c-scott-as-patton-bettmann.jpg

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

firework wars. 

My second year at UVA we had a firework war with the guys in the other side of the duplex where we lived.  Not. The. Smartest. Thing.

War ended when I got a call from one of them saying the police were at his door with guns drawn.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

No bueno.  

These thermobaric weapons are the second most powerful option next to nukes.  

No NUKES on UKES!

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

To forestall the impact that this is going to have on Russian society, Putin needs to win this war in the next month and convince the West to rescind all sanctions.  And that's just not going to happen.

These two posts are why I believe Russia will move into protracted occupation with escalating artillery and shelling with the intent to get favorable cease fire agreement with lifted sanctions.  Putin wants control of a mostly intact Ukraine.  Since that it not an option due to Ukraine's fierce resistance, his best course of action is to get out while showing as much strength as possible and getting sanctions lifted.  So parade around some impressive artillery and launch a few thermobaric bombs to grab attention and use as leverage to let the world know they can and will level Ukraine if they choose to do so.  Negotiate from there.

Regardless of recent displays of ineptitude, Russia does have essentially unblockable ballistic missiles and heavy artillery that can level Ukraine.  Of course a leveled Ukraine is not much value to Russia and even worse means they will be permanently sanctioned/isolated from the west.  Putin only goes this route if he wants Ukraine dead or alive at any and all costs.  If that is the case then Ukraine is going to get leveled.  But I don't think he's there yet, otherwise there would be more than the few isolated thermobaric bombs, and I think there will be enough sane people in Russian leadership that don't want to become glorified North Korea.         

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I never got hit. We’d play until someone got nailed pretty hard. The shrieks of pain meant we had to stop, no matter how many times we called the guy a pussy. Never saw one get embedded, but plenty of broken skin and bruises that lasted for days. Those things were pretty heavy, too. The pictures don’t do them justice. Those weighted heads were serious business. Just stupid in retrospect, but unfortunately not even remotely the stupidest things we ever did. 

I cliff jumped blindly from a 30 ft cliff in high school and landed in less than 5 ft of water.  Very thankful I went feet first and only had to deal with my orthopedic doc.  We also played with lawn darts.

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

BB gun and firework wars. 

All three here plus tennis ball wars.  We shot bottle rockets out of pipes at each other, threw lawn darts, and I still have a scar above my eye from a pellet gun my brother shot me with.  Slingshots were good too but we usually (not always) used erasers instead of marbles.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I think the problem is that this is kind of a world-scale grass roots movement to shun Russia.  There are alliances, individual countries, financial orgs, sports orgs, etc... all independently choosing to do what they can to eliminate their dealings with Russia.  It would be nice to be able to say, "All of this goes away if Russia leaves the Ukraine and you remove Putin from power" but there isn't a central body controlling what all these different entities are doing to goatass Russia.  For some, any end to the conflict would be enough to welcome Russia back.

Just now, BachelorTrek said:

Bottle-rocket and roman-candle wars. Good times.

The young Texans don't know what bottle-rockets are since they've been banned for decades. 

As a kid, we had a roman candle war and a kid was wearing a leather jacket.  The ball got inside his collar.  That was not pretty.

Another kid ended up with a BB in his foot for life from a point blank shot (accident)

4 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Bottle-rocket and roman-candle wars. Good times.

The young Texans don't know what bottle-rockets are since they've been banned for decades. 

We had small hand held things we called whispers (Silvadores). About 1 in 10 would blow up in your hand. And of course rotten egg fights on Halloween night.

People love their fireworks in El Salvador! That and shooting into the sky at midnight on Christmas Eve. 

image.png.a66f3c5748365f141681c3eefe990d0a.png

But one of the scariest nights in my life was in Bosnia. The national team scored against the Croatians and every MoFo with an AK let lose. 

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Nope.  Russian troops encircling Kyiv?  AWESOME.   Look at all the places on that circle I can attack from OUTSIDE the circle (hint: it's ALL of them):

circle-clipart-small-2_imagelarge.png

1 -- propaganda and stories of atrocities will be flying fast and furious.  There's no way to tell if any one of them is true, or is just flat propaganda.

2 -- that said.....ask any eastern German who had grandparents there in the war how grandma felt about Russian soldiers.  It's SOP.

Spoiled bastards.  Did they run out of crayons?

Thats is a horrible story. She has a lot to deal with and settle with when this is all over and i truly hope she can find some peace later. War is fucking awful. In the meantime however, there is one thing she can do that will help her come to terms with this: Kill as many Russians as you can. It wont take away the hurt, but it will help a little.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

As a kid, we had a roman candle war and a kid was wearing a leather jacket.  The ball got inside his collar.  That was not pretty.

Another kid ended up with a BB in his foot for life from a point blank shot (accident)

We did that too but with shot guns and we weren’t kids we were 17. Similar accidental shot from distance with same result but it was it was buddy’s arm.

Gotdamn we were fucking stupid

• Hook 'Em 2

non-paywalled article about new personal sanctions on the top top oligarch fucks. The oligarchs are already crying about it.

https://www.ft.com/content/85d76bd6-f585-4ac9-abae-b9abbf21e4bf

here's some of it

The EU has frozen the assets and imposed a travel ban on more than half a dozen of Russia’s most prominent oligarchs, many of them with close ties to President Vladimir Putin, as it penalises some of the country’s most powerful people following the invasion of Ukraine. The individuals hit by the measures include Mikhail Fridman, the founder of Alfa Group, and fellow shareholder Petr Aven; Igor Sechin and Nikolai Tokarev, the respective chief executives of oil companies Rosneft and Transneft; and financier Alisher Usmanov.

The blacklistings, which take immediate effect, are the latest in a round of increasingly punitive sanctions that the EU began implementing last week as it seeks ways of damaging the Russian economy and hampering Putin’s war effort. Measures imposed by the US and western allies against the Russian central bank led to a steep decline in the Russian rouble as well as frantic cash withdrawals by Russian citizens.

Among those hit by the restrictive measures, agreed by member states on Monday, is Fridman, who is described in the EU statement announcing the sanctions list as “a top Russian financier and enabler of Putin’s inner circle”. It added that Fridman “actively supported materially or financially and benefited from Russian decision makers responsible for the annexation of Crimea and the destabilisation of Ukraine”. His bank, Alfa-Bank, is already subject to EU sanctions on issuing bonds, shares and loans in the EU for refinancing, while the US has imposed debt and equity restrictions.

Aven, meanwhile, is described as one of the president’s “closest oligarchs”.

Putin’s longtime friend Gennady Timchenko, who is the founder and shareholder of Volga Group, is also on the EU list. He is a shareholder of Bank Rossiya, which is already under sanctions imposed by the EU and UK.

Rosneft chief Sechin is described as one of Putin’s “most trusted and closest advisers, as well as his personal friend”, who had been in contact with the president on a daily basis and has been receiving financial gains and “important assignments in return for subordination and loyalty”. Sechin is already subject to a travel ban and asset freeze by the US, as is his son. Tokarev, the chief executive of Russian oil and gas pipeline company Transneft, served with Putin in the KGB and is said by the EU to be “one of the state oligarchs who assumed control over large state assets in the 2000s as Putin consolidated power, and who operates in close partnership with the Russian state”.

• Hook 'Em 1