Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

46 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Whoever is in charge of that fund is fucked.

Was quite concerned when I first saw that, as my wife's retirement is directly impacted, but their total assets are >$28 billion, so $13 million isn't so concerning. Very odd though.

Edited by KYHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

I can't keep up with this thread and keep my job, so I can't look back to see if someone already posited this, but I've been trying to think why would Putin attack a nuclear power plant.  How can it either help his cause or hurt the Ukraine's?  I am starting to think it's just a terror tactic.  Get the word "nuclear" into the reporting about the conflict, which inspires a level of angst in all of us children of the Cold War.  It inspires fear and dread without actually introducing nuclear arms into the conflict.  That fear of nukes is about all Putin has to keep the rest of the world in check, so keeping it at the forefront of everyone's thinking is probably to his advantage.  I could obviously be wrong, but if that's what this is, I wonder if it is a tell that Putin really does not want this to escalate further.

It looked to me like he attacked the administrative areas so he could capture it, which he did. There were reports that the fire was not near the reactors.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, KYHorn said:

Was quite concerned when I first saw that, as my wife's retirement is directly implicated, but their total assets are >$28 billion, so $13 million isn't so concerning. Very odd though.

Good news, didn't really think $13 million would be much more than a drop in the bucket, still does raise a question or two.  I would imagine this was something along the line of a group index fund buy, without really any one person making the decision.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Was quite concerned when I first saw that, as my wife's retirement is directly impacted, but their total assets are >$28 billion, so $13 million isn't so concerning. Very odd though.

With that attitude, we'd like you to join us in the Surly Stonks thread.

Come for the bad advice, stay for the bad advice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

And you can bet that Laura Schneider is counting on the fact that the fund won't be missing $13 million.

74D69195-53D3-4B0F-9F9F-AB45F9EEB9E2.jpeg

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

With that attitude, we'd like you to join us in the Surly Stonks thread.

Come for the bad advice, stay for the bad advice.

Thanks, but I'm already a proud member (assuming holding IBRX is sufficient for membership)

23 minutes ago, Lobo said:

No CR.  But look up a few of their names with regard to political donations.  Very telling.  Fake news!!!

Oh enchuben, sorry for offending you. These are all strong patriots.  Sorry.  God bless you and your beloved cunts 

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Yesterday the president and prime minister in the Czech Republic announced that no one who went to fight for Ukraine would be prosecuted under laws outlawing service in foreign militaries.  It’s really hard for me to capture the mood in Central Europe now. Glum, angry, sad, scared, disbelief, anger.  They have been magnificent in their response. 

One Czech told me “we heard the same things Putin is saying now in 1939 and 1968. The same words.  We all wish we had fought harder and we are in awe of Ukrainians.”

My dad's grandmother immigrated to the U.S. from Czechoslovakia, and my grandma once made us borscht, so this post hits close to home.

5 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Do you really need an explanation?

Well, yeah obviously I was being facetious but with all that considered it still seems, just, out of character. Packing yourself in a shipping container would be about as risky as trying to cross the desert. Idk.

The people who are really good at human trafficking are the Armenians, Ukrainians, Montenegrins, Russians etc. 

10 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

How incompetent or on edge seeing the boogieman are RU forces?

https://twitter.com/AVindman/status/1499753688478494721?s=20&t=sCy6tOdzeNnl93ZbAKrCug

Since it did not convert here is the TLDR:

Two Russian units ran into each other and because of bad comms, training, or fear of the boogeyman they started firing no each other resulting in the loss of 9 tanks and 4 Armored Fighting vehicles.  All friendly fire.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, South Austin said:

And you can bet that Laura Schneider is counting on the fact that the fund won't be missing $13 million.

74D69195-53D3-4B0F-9F9F-AB45F9EEB9E2.jpeg

I'm going to have to ask that you cease defaming Christine Baskets (RIP.) She was a good American, who loved nothing more than hatin' Ruskies and Sunday trips to Costco.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Since it did not convert here is the TLDR:

Two Russian units ran into each other and because of bad comms, training, or fear of the boogeyman they started firing no each other resulting in the loss of 9 tanks and 4 Armored Fighting vehicles.  All friendly fire.

Another possibility - one unit wanted to retreat and was told not to and instead was fired upon by the other to keep them from retreating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1499849754897010694?s=20&t=lHX5RrUXT07lbUqXcDTHdA

Bellingcat investigator Christo Grozev says that #Russia has resources left for the war until Sunday, after which they will collapse. Also next week, Russia is facing sanctions, the scale of which “we have not seen before”, and they will also affect Putin

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Russians at the US/Mex boarders?

Why? Why?? Why in the fuck would you do that? 

So you don't have to order a Russian/Ukrainian bride by mail any longer, just drive down to Del Rio and pick you one out.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

Reports that Kentucky's pension system for teachers is one of the top shareholders in the largest Russian bank are "completely false," the system's lawyer said Friday. 

At the close of 2021, the Kentucky Teachers Retirement System was listed as the second largest institutional shareholder of Sberbank of Russia, whose stock prices are tanking amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. 

Beau Barnes, TRS' general counsel, said Friday TRS sold off its direct investments Feb. 23, losing $3.2 million of its initial $15.6 million investment. Russia invaded Ukraine the next day. 

"We actually got out at a very good time because we were able to sell on the 23rd, when you could still get some good value on your Sberbank shares," Barnes said.

Barnes said the timing of the sale was a tactical decision by their external investment manager in response to the publicized threat of sanctions against Russia should it invade Ukraine.

TRS continues to have "de minimus, indirect exposure through two international funds managed by outside investment managers," Barnes said. 

"TRS’s remaining exposure to holdings in Russia is proportionately negligible in a portfolio of about $26 billion," Barnes said in a statement Friday.

About $30 million of TRS's $26 billion investment portfolio — around 0.12% — is in Russian investments, Barnes previously said. 

The Kentucky Public Pension Authority holds around $51 million in Russian investments, a spokeswoman for the state treasurer's office said. The funds, which equal around 0.23% of its overall $22 billion portfolio, include direct and indirectly managed investments.

David Eager, KPPA's executive director, said they're trying to determine the best financial strategy. He noted they're legally bound to manage assets from the best investment perspective, not for political reasons.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/education/2022/03/04/amid-russia-invading-ukraine-kentucky-teachers-pension-system-caught-middle/9373911002/

Sounds like they use an external investment manager, which is probably a good thing, because if left up to Laura Schneider, they would have yolo'd the entire portfolio in Krispy Kreme stock 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

37 minutes ago, Smax said:

Easy to say when its not your country at stake

I chewed on the conversation from earlier regarding the Ukrainien people giving up because the cost for victory is too high. I knew how I felt about it, but wasn’t sure how to say it. All I could come up with is a quote from the movie Open Range:

“Well you may not know this, but there’s things that gnaw at a man worse than dying.” 

I hope the people of Ukraine fight until the last man. 

Edited by Constant
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

Breaking the other thread out into it's own thread, because it was interesting to see the everyday Russian perspective. The propaganda runs deep:

If an unknown person in Russia started filming me and asked my opinion about stuff I could get arrested for protesting, I might give some bland Putin-knows-best answer myself.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Dictators have a naturally unstable rule over their country. History shows that if you let a small revolution continue, it can lead to something much bigger.  Gotta quash it while you can.

If you get to the point that you're asking your police or army to fire on citizens, you might lose your power within hours.

• Haha 1