2019 ATH Bru McCoy

texifornia

TFloss from last night late

Spoiler

From The Football Brainiacs on WR Bru McCoy...they are being told Texas has attempted to file his paperwork with the NCAA for a waiver to play immediately, but McCoy has been hesitant to give his signature and still hasn't done so.

They weren't specific on what date this happened, or if UT has tried to get him to sign on more than one occasion.

8 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Eh, not as bad as advertised.

I suppose it depends on the tone you use to read my comment. The likes suggest there's some truth to all the rumors/reports, but don't really indicate that a final decision has been made.

Edited by KYHorn

Would a normal (non-athlete) student be allowed to transfer in and out of the same school in less than a semester? Aren’t there rules about admission and application periods?

I get that USC is private so can probably do whatever they want. But this seems pretty unusual.

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Given all the smoke, there’s zero chance he’s on campus today. Best case is that’s he’s still listening to us. 

I think I read Bru went back to California for the holiday weekend. I haven't heard that he has returned. Does anyone know anyone who knows anyone who knows someone on campus who can verify if he ever returned? 

22 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I think I read Bru went back to California for the holiday weekend. I haven't heard that he has returned. Does anyone know anyone who knows anyone who knows someone on campus who can verify if he ever returned? 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkbYkrEwAXirKyHTQ8tQW

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Super K basically saying its a done deal at this point and it was nothing about Texas, all about being home in California

just a wild ass story all across the board. did he say going back to USC?

42 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

He has been in ca since the semester ended I believe 

Super K on Bru

A few things here to add to my report from yesterday morning…

***I did reach out to someone I know quite well in the McCoy family. I did not hear back. Given the connection I have with said person, the fact that I didn’t hear back tells me all I need to know. Namely, again, that what we noted yesterday regarding the veracity of the rumors is true.

***At this point a number of outlets are reporting that Bru isn’t going to return. I have not been told that by anyone in the McCoy family but I spoke to a person close to the situation and said person spoke on the matter as if it is a forgone conclusion. But again, I haven’t received that direct from the family.

***Source said that Bru has actually been contemplating the return to USC for quite some time. It sounds like it may have been within the first few weeks of arriving at Texas that Bru decided he wanted to return. Source said that Bru didn’t know, “100% but it was a really rough adjustment”.

***Also, was told that USC does have a scholarship for Bru. I only point that out because I know we had heard they didn’t have one for Chris Steele. For clarification, I’m told that they now have a spot for both Bru and Steele though, as you know, Steele appears headed to Oregon.

***I think an important point to note here is that this has, in my opinion, nothing to do with Texas. I’ve been to Mater Dei. I’ve seen the environment Bru was in. It’s the best of Southern California. It’s an affluent community that is very tightly knit. You’ll recall that once I returned from my trip to California in the fall, I really started to feel the chances of Texas landing Bru were slim. The reason I felt that way is having been to the game and to the school, I could tell it was a type of life/community that would be very hard to leave.

***Bru in fact did sign with USC but ultimately did leave. I remember speaking to his family member around that time and was told that Bru felt USC was too much like high school. I think it turns out that perhaps it took him going away to realize just how good things were in that bubble, for lack of a better word.

***Again, I don’t think it would matter if Bru had been at Texas, Alabama, Florida or anywhere else. If Bru does indeed return to USC, my sense is it will be because of what he loves about where he’s from and not due to anything he dislikes about Texas, in particular.

• Like 4

IT on Bru

BRU MCCOY, PORTAL POSTER CHILD

Like everyone else, we were surprised by the discussion that arose late Sunday, early Monday of Bru McCoy wanting to transfer back to USC. My first reaction was that it was similar to his first transfer in that there was much more information coming out of the destination side of the "recruitment." And what a dumb recruitment it is.

When I say everyone was surprised I mean every team source we have was blind-sided as well. We often check just to see if there are any malcontents, especially around the end of a semester. We often hear of stuff that never materializes but with Bru we never heard anything negative.

In fact, a couple of my queries were the first time sources heard of anything being wrong. If he's really homesick, and still that's the only credible reason we've heard, he hid it very well.

The fact that this caught UT so off guard puts to bed the rumor of Bru being upset regarding his waiver situation. I also don't believe it has anything to do with playing time. He wasn't going to start but he would have played if granted the waiver. We would have heard of him being upset if the waiver situation and playing time were factors. Besides, by transferring back to USC, he'd assuredly miss the next season unless USC digs up the OJ team.

Likely what happened was he went home after the semester and realized he wanted to remain in Southern California. How he came to realize that we may never know.

Expectations are that he'll enter the portal but until his name pops up who knows? If he does enter the portal and transfers there's still the chance he returns for August practice.

From the Texas perspective they don't want to lose him and I'm sure the coaches will be on the phone with him a lot today. Herman should probably let Mehringer handle that.

But also in talking to a few sources the sentiment is similar to some fans...if he leaves, [shrug emoticon]. A player's level of drama you're willing to tolerate directly correlates to his ability and Bru McCoy was only a five-star.

I took a couple days off with the family during what is normally a very quiet time. I'll have recruiting notes either later today or early tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have a team update as well. The team resumed workouts this morning.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT on Bru

Hide contents

BRU MCCOY, PORTAL POSTER CHILD

Like everyone else, we were surprised by the discussion that arose late Sunday, early Monday of Bru McCoy wanting to transfer back to USC. My first reaction was that it was similar to his first transfer in that there was much more information coming out of the destination side of the "recruitment." And what a dumb recruitment it is.

When I say everyone was surprised I mean every team source we have was blind-sided as well. We often check just to see if there are any malcontents, especially around the end of a semester. We often hear of stuff that never materializes but with Bru we never heard anything negative.

In fact, a couple of my queries were the first time sources heard of anything being wrong. If he's really homesick, and still that's the only credible reason we've heard, he hid it very well.

The fact that this caught UT so off guard puts to bed the rumor of Bru being upset regarding his waiver situation. I also don't believe it has anything to do with playing time. He wasn't going to start but he would have played if granted the waiver. We would have heard of him being upset if the waiver situation and playing time were factors. Besides, by transferring back to USC, he'd assuredly miss the next season unless USC digs up the OJ team.

Likely what happened was he went home after the semester and realized he wanted to remain in Southern California. How he came to realize that we may never know.

Expectations are that he'll enter the portal but until his name pops up who knows? If he does enter the portal and transfers there's still the chance he returns for August practice.

From the Texas perspective they don't want to lose him and I'm sure the coaches will be on the phone with him a lot today. Herman should probably let Mehringer handle that.

But also in talking to a few sources the sentiment is similar to some fans...if he leaves, [shrug emoticon]. A player's level of drama you're willing to tolerate directly correlates to his ability and Bru McCoy was only a five-star.

I took a couple days off with the family during what is normally a very quiet time. I'll have recruiting notes either later today or early tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have a team update as well. The team resumed workouts this morning.

that's all bullshit and way off. ask for your money back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It's pretty obviously UT sources trying to hammer home the point that he wasn't visibly unhappy, it wasn't the coaches' fault, and it was something out of their control.

If there was something bad about Bru's experience at Texas, with the coaches, playing time, etc., you would think the USC media wouldn't hold back.  Are they saying anything like that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

If there was something bad about Bru's experience at Texas, with the coaches, playing time, etc., you would think the USC media wouldn't hold back.  Are they saying anything like that?

Yeah I agree with you, if there was more to this, no way the SC sites would have kept it under wraps for this long.

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

4 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Which is true.  But whatever.

To be clear, I'm not necessarily agreeing with 4th_and_18, I have no idea what really went down.  I was just saying the purpose of the comments from whoever IT spoke to is pretty obvious, even if they are the truth.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Only thing I've seen from USC sites is that this has been in the works for a while, which corroborates with Super K, who said that Bru almost immediately regretted transferring from USC after doing so.

Home is where the heart is.  One of the problems with recruiting OOS.

1 minute ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Home is where the heart is.  One of the problems with recruiting OOS.

agreed but this is a SPECIAL case.. kid committed to his home/heart and wanted out...to only want to go back in a semester's time. Think this is a rare case.  Keep hitting CA hard

10 hours ago, TheGhost said:

He broke the news a few days ago. Says Texas knows about Bru and the coaching staff visited him in Rancho Palos Verdes last week. 

is he really from pv?  if so that explains a whole lot.  

Christ, anyone looking for a scapegoat on staff at UT is reaching.  Did we piss him off?  Maybe.  Is he a homesick 18 YO?  Far more likely.  

It could definitely be a cultural thing -- I don't know what Helton's approach is (other than "fading"), but Tom Herman talks culture more than anything.  High levels of personal accountability, a tough strength & conditioning program, a locker room fairly full of Texas kids, etc., all that is surely a shock for a kid out of Mater Dei.  Could a bunch of Mater Dei kids handle it?  No doubt.  Will EVERY Mater Dei kid handle it?  Probably not.  It doesn't by definition reflect badly on the coaching staff, or elite CA high schools, for that matter.  At some point the culture has to be something the 5-star can handle, and it certainly shouldn't be adapted to work for a few guys at the expense of many.

I hope Bru ends up at his dream school, wherever that is.  Sounds like it isn't UT.  We'll be fine.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Well, I'll take this opportunity to apologize to @Tex Pete for admonishing him when he said 'Fuck this guy' when he originally committed to USC.

Fuck this guy. 

That's big of you. I've noticed Junior Miller's posts before. His take is nearly always completely delusional. He's a fucktard.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Christ, anyone looking for a scapegoat on staff at UT is reaching.  Did we piss him off?  Maybe.  Is he a homesick 18 YO?  Far more likely.  

It could definitely be a cultural thing -- I don't know what Helton's approach is (other than "fading"), but Tom Herman talks culture more than anything.  High levels of personal accountability, a tough strength & conditioning program, a locker room fairly full of Texas kids, etc., all that is surely a shock for a kid out of Mater Dei.  Could a bunch of Mater Dei kids handle it?  No doubt.  Will EVERY Mater Dei kid handle it?  Probably not.  It doesn't by definition reflect badly on the coaching staff, or elite CA high schools, for that matter.  At some point the culture has to be something the 5-star can handle, and it certainly shouldn't be adapted to work for a few guys at the expense of many.

I hope Bru ends up at his dream school, wherever that is.  Sounds like it isn't UT.  We'll be fine.

I guess the only thing I would point out is that we were supposed to be recruiting players who we thought were a good cultural fit as well. Though I guess I understand if exceptions are made for five star guys.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Only thing I've seen from USC sites is that this has been in the works for a while, which corroborates with Super K, who said that Bru almost immediately regretted transferring from USC after doing so.

"If she cheats with you, she'll cheat on you." 😥

• Like 1