Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's Evans. It's been chronicled on here at length for a few weeks now. 

Sorry -- I missed that. Last I heard of Evans was when there was discussion about how disinterested he appeared in North Shore's ESPN-televised loss. Was unaware what happened next. Was that the only game he played in?

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Sorry -- I missed that. Last I heard of Evans was when there was discussion about how disinterested he appeared in North Shore's ESPN-televised loss. Was unaware what happened next. Was that the only game he played in?

If Evan's actually lands at A&M it will only be because options A-Z did not want him. This appears to be what is starting to happen. Talk about a kid doubling down on stupid, and of course aggy will be beating their chest for years about that one. 

The more likely scenario is that one of the blue bloods has a late recruitment fall through and pulls the trigger on Evans. Maybe that is Bama or Georgia or maybe LSU, Michigan, or tOSU enters the mix late. All of those options >>>>>>>>>>> aggy

21 minutes ago, C-Man said:

the rumor is that he mouthed off to his coach after/during that game and was suspended, then cussed the coach out again in practice and had a game added to his suspension causing him to quit the team. I thought someone said he was on the sidelines last week though, so maybe he didn't quit, or maybe he came back and apologized and rejoined the team. 

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

the rumor is that he mouthed off to his coach after/during that game and was suspended, then cussed the coach out again in practice and had a game added to his suspension causing him to quit the team. I thought someone said he was on the sidelines last week though, so maybe he didn't quit, or maybe he came back and apologized and rejoined the team. 

Weird that there's not even a blurb in the Houston Chronicle or whatever local rag Galena Park may have stating that the #1 running back in the nation hasn't played since Opening Night. Or maybe I'm a poor Googler.

Edited by C-Man

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

We have one on campus that you might have written off, but shouldn't have.

Texas has 20 commitments. They'll take 2 more WRs, hold out for Ringo, and might take a flyer on a late riser at any position or a juco LB. 

Deleted-Redundant 

Edited by Babytime

54 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

or tOSU enters the mix late

I wonder if they feel the pressure with no takes at RB thus far. I bet they convince EJ Smith to join the class, and boy would it be fun if Evans wound up there. If he really did get turned down by Georgia and he really is who we think he is, I'm sure throwing tOSU back in uga's collective face would be more satisfying for him than aggy. 

47 minutes ago, Viper said:

I heard (cough, cough), that his head was so big that his team did not have a helmet to fit it....cough.

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I wonder if they feel the pressure with no takes at RB thus far. I bet they convince EJ Smith to join the class, and boy would it be fun if Evans wound up there. If he really did get turned down by Georgia and he really is who we think he is, I'm sure throwing tOSU back in uga's collective face would be more satisfying for him than aggy. 

Are they still after Kevontre Bradford? His only CB is still for tOSU.

From the Houston Chronicle, Sept. 11th:

Westfield vs. North Shore, 7 p.m. Friday, Galena Park ISD Stadium
Another week, another matchup of top-five teams in the Chronicle's 6A media poll. This time it's No. 2 North Shore taking on a Westfield team that moved into the top five in Week 3, checking in at No. 4 after another impressive defensive performance in a 30-2 win over Alief Taylor. In fact, Westfield's Mustangs (2-0) have yet to allow an offensive score this season since they shutout Lamar 14-0 in Week 1. Taylor managed only 78 total yards, and only 44 yards on 35 rushes (1.3 yards per carry). The only points North Shore (1-1) surrendered last week came on a fourth-quarter kickoff return after its 38-7 win over Ridge Point already was well in hand. And while Westfield's offense still is rounding into shape – they produced only 178 total yards against Taylor – North Shore's attack was on point despite missing two key offensive players last week thanks to dual-threat QB Dematrius Davis (10-14, 194 yards, 3 TDs passing; 15-191, 2 TDs rushing). WR Shadrach Banks (leg) is expected to sit out again this week, and RB Zach Evans, suspended last week, is questionable.

Ain't shit going on right now so let's speculate. Who do you think will be, and then rank, the final top-5 players in the state. Some including ctj have speculated that Evans and Demas will both drop a bit due to being a dumbass/not playing this year. I think King drops because he looked pretty unimpressive in his nationally-televised game. Maybe it ends up like this:

1) Drew Sanders

2) Demand Demas

3) Jaylon Jones

4) Jace McClelland

5) Zach Evans

I don't think Drew Sanders is the best recruit in the state, but he may just end up there by default. Right now our highest-rated recruit in the state according to 247 (not composite) is Jaylon Garth who is 11. Would be weird to end up with a class ranked in the top 6 but without any of the top-10 players in state. Also, it's kind of absurd that Garrett Hayes and Nate Anderson are rated ahead of guys like JQJ and Collins. But what the hell do I know....

4 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Ain't shit going on right now so let's speculate. Who do you think will be, and then rank, the final top-5 players in the state. Some including ctj have speculated that Evans and Demas will both drop a bit due to being a dumbass/not playing this year. I think King drops because he looked pretty unimpressive in his nationally-televised game. Maybe it ends up like this:

1) Drew Sanders

2) Demand Demas

3) Jaylon Jones

4) Jace McClelland

5) Zach Evans

I don't think Drew Sanders is the best recruit in the state, but he may just end up there by default. Right now our highest-rated recruit in the state according to 247 (not composite) is Jaylon Garth who is 11. Would be weird to end up with a class ranked in the top 6 but without any of the top-10 players in state. Also, it's kind of absurd that Garrett Hayes and Nate Anderson are rated ahead of guys like JQJ and Collins. But what the hell do I know....

Darius Terrell posted his top 25 today. This is what he had:

1. Drew Sanders

2. Demond Demas

3. Ja'Quinden Jackson

4. Vernon Broughton

5. Jase McClellan

6. Zach Evans

7. Quentin Johnston

8. Ty'kieast Crawford

9. Nathan Anderson

10. Jaxon Smith-Njigba

11. Alfred Collins

12. Garrett Hayes

13. Bryson Washington

14. Xavion Alford

15. Jaylon Jones

16. Haynes King

17. Jalin Conyers

18. Troy Omeire

19. Kitan Crawford

20. Hudson Card

21. Kevontre Bradford

22. Prince Dorbah

23. Josh White

24. Chad Lindberg

25. Seth McGowan

• Like 1

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

We have one on campus that you might have written off, but shouldn't have?

Jacobi?  Floyd?  What's up with Hobbs - he certainly looks the part.

I realize katfid was joking further down the thread but Luke Brockermeyer received a lot of off-season awards.  I already love that guy.  Great guy to have as a 2nd/3rd stringer and we need to get better PWOs. 3rd string makes 2nd string better and so on.

Bobby Burton: Tuesday

With the commitment of West Mesquite skill athlete Ty Jordan on Sunday, it would appear that Texas is getting ever closer to finishing up its 2020 recruiting class that is set to sign in December. There are only a few blue chippers known to still be on the board, like Bastrop’s Alfred Collins, California’s LV Bunkley, Scottsdale’s Kelee Ringo, Midland’s Luic Fonoji and Houston’s Josh White.

White, a linebacker, is committed to LSU even though Texas continues to recruit him. The other four have yet to make their decisions. While that list seems small, there’s more going on behind the scenes than many realize. My educated guess is that Texas is actually recruiting and evaluating several other players from senior film right now, some of whom we will eventually learn of.

As I have mentioned in this column previously and restated in last week’s podcast with Gerry Hamilton, the singular thing that strikes me most about this Texas staff when it comes to recruiting is their thoroughness. Whether it’s finding someone like Juwan Mitchell late in the recruiting process, going hard after Parker Braun as a grad transfer, getting a QB like Sam Saxton to accept a walk-ok spot over Power 5 offers or simply evaluating and recruiting the next generation of high school seniors, this Texas personnel department is relentless and thorough.

So while everyone thinks Texas is whittling down its list of players - and they are because signing day is nearing - I suspect there is more going on than most might realize. And I bet we’ll hear of a couple more prospects before all is said and done. This Texas personnel staff simply doesn’t stand pat, they’re always busy trying to find ways to improve the team. And like I’ve said, I think that’s a quality that had been long missing from Texas and a primary reason why the Horns are setting themselves up for long-term continued success.

After watching LSU players “cramp” multiple times during the Texas game, only to return later in the same series, a rule change is necessary to legislate fairness to the team whose momentum is stunted. My proposed rule:

If a player goes down with an injury, any injury, they are not allowed to return during that series. If they attempt to return, it would be a 15-yard penalty and automatic first down. If a team wants to get that player back into the game, they would have to call a timeout to get him back in. But here’s a slight tweak to the rule that I think is important. This rule would only apply to defensive players since defensive injuries are the ones changing the flow and timing of the game.

Not sure if many of you have heard this, but the Oklahoma State-Kansas State contest next weekend will not be televised. It will only be streamed. We’ll probably be able to see Idaho play Weber State somewhere on the TV but not a good match-up between the Cowboys and Wildcats. The two teams, with wins this weekend, could both be ranked by this time next week. It’s absurd and part of the reason why the Big 12 needs a different TV deal moving forward. And I think the Big 12 probably needs new leadership to boot.

Any specific longer-form recruiting questions you have for Mike Roach or myself for this week’s podcast? We tape the weekly show tomorrow morning, so please let us know if there’s anything you’d like to hear addressed.

18 minutes ago, The Whistler said:

Jacobi?  Floyd?  What's up with Hobbs - he certainly looks the part.

I realize katfid was joking further down the thread but Luke Brockermeyer received a lot of off-season awards.  I already love that guy.  Great guy to have as a 2nd/3rd stringer and we need to get better PWOs. 3rd string makes 2nd string better and so on.

Jacoby Jones isn't a linebacker.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

fuck, that's right.  

how about Gbenda?  a few people in this thread mentioned his name but he was also getting snaps at RB just last week?  I think Herman indicated in his presser yesterday he's moving back to LB if Danny is healthy (shit, I dunno all this could be made up). 

normally, the less talented of a defensive group (LB/DL) gets transferred/co-trained to their couterpart on Offense (looking at you, Tope). maybe Gbenda's an exception.  

Edited by The Whistler

3 minutes ago, The Whistler said:

fuck, that's right.  

how about Gbenda?  a few people in this thread mentioned his name but he was also getting snaps at RB just last week?  I think Herman indicated in his presser today he's moving back to LB if Danny is healthy (shit, I dunno all this could be made up). 

normally, the less talented of a defensive group (LB/DL) gets transferred/co-trained to their couterpart on Offense (looking at you, Tope). maybe Gbenda's an exception.  

Gbenda was a freshman LB who doesn't figure to get snaps there this year just due to youth.  So they had him play RB in practice because we had 1 healthy RB and a backup QB at RB.  We simply needed a warm body at RB.  Don't judge his ability at LB based on that emergency move.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Bobby Burton: Tuesday

Hide contents

With the commitment of West Mesquite skill athlete Ty Jordan on Sunday, it would appear that Texas is getting ever closer to finishing up its 2020 recruiting class that is set to sign in December. There are only a few blue chippers known to still be on the board, like Bastrop’s Alfred Collins, California’s LV Bunkley, Scottsdale’s Kelee Ringo, Midland’s Luic Fonoji and Houston’s Josh White.

White, a linebacker, is committed to LSU even though Texas continues to recruit him. The other four have yet to make their decisions. While that list seems small, there’s more going on behind the scenes than many realize. My educated guess is that Texas is actually recruiting and evaluating several other players from senior film right now, some of whom we will eventually learn of.

As I have mentioned in this column previously and restated in last week’s podcast with Gerry Hamilton, the singular thing that strikes me most about this Texas staff when it comes to recruiting is their thoroughness. Whether it’s finding someone like Juwan Mitchell late in the recruiting process, going hard after Parker Braun as a grad transfer, getting a QB like Sam Saxton to accept a walk-ok spot over Power 5 offers or simply evaluating and recruiting the next generation of high school seniors, this Texas personnel department is relentless and thorough.

So while everyone thinks Texas is whittling down its list of players - and they are because signing day is nearing - I suspect there is more going on than most might realize. And I bet we’ll hear of a couple more prospects before all is said and done. This Texas personnel staff simply doesn’t stand pat, they’re always busy trying to find ways to improve the team. And like I’ve said, I think that’s a quality that had been long missing from Texas and a primary reason why the Horns are setting themselves up for long-term continued success.

After watching LSU players “cramp” multiple times during the Texas game, only to return later in the same series, a rule change is necessary to legislate fairness to the team whose momentum is stunted. My proposed rule:

If a player goes down with an injury, any injury, they are not allowed to return during that series. If they attempt to return, it would be a 15-yard penalty and automatic first down. If a team wants to get that player back into the game, they would have to call a timeout to get him back in. But here’s a slight tweak to the rule that I think is important. This rule would only apply to defensive players since defensive injuries are the ones changing the flow and timing of the game.

Not sure if many of you have heard this, but the Oklahoma State-Kansas State contest next weekend will not be televised. It will only be streamed. We’ll probably be able to see Idaho play Weber State somewhere on the TV but not a good match-up between the Cowboys and Wildcats. The two teams, with wins this weekend, could both be ranked by this time next week. It’s absurd and part of the reason why the Big 12 needs a different TV deal moving forward. And I think the Big 12 probably needs new leadership to boot.

Any specific longer-form recruiting questions you have for Mike Roach or myself for this week’s podcast? We tape the weekly show tomorrow morning, so please let us know if there’s anything you’d like to hear addressed.

Riveting stuff, Bobby 

"My educated guess is that Texas is actually recruiting and evaluating several other players from senior film right now"

Someone was trying to hit a word limit. Either that or I'm supposed to assume that the average person who pays to read his writing is stupid enough to think that this qualified as interesting insight.

• Like 1

fuck, that's right.  
how about Gbenda?  a few people in this thread mentioned his name but he was also getting snaps at RB just last week?  I think Herman indicated in his presser yesterday he's moving back to LB if Danny is healthy (shit, I dunno all this could be made up). 

Was it 12 minutes ago? I thought sure it was 14 minutes ago.

21 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

listening to "the  longhorn blitz " this morning. Mike Roach is hinting about some  "outside" something keeping Andrej Karics ranking down. 

anybody got anything on that?

i listened to it this morning as well.. wondering the same thing.  Was it the weight thing? Or maybe schools were nervous about one of the bodies he buried would turn up?

• Like 2