Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Many of those European countries went back on pretty strict lockdown several weeks ago.  I question the assertion that seasonality is responsible rather than control measures.  If/when those control measures are removed, I thoroughly expect to see the numbers climb again, regardless of season.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, utee94 said:

Many of those European countries went back on pretty strict lockdown several weeks ago.  I question the assertion that seasonality is responsible rather than control measures.  If/when those control measures are removed, I thoroughly expect to see the numbers climb again, regardless of season.  

And we haven't even gotten in to real winter yet.  If it's seasonality driving the increase, why would the virus stop before conditions are at their most ideal for it's spread?  Spikes happen when people get too comfortable and start going out more.  Then they decline when people get scared back in to social distancing and/or lockdowns occur.

Edited by kevwun

15 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Some possibly, hopefully encouraging news from Europe, where cases are...declining precipitously.

I was looking at this yesterday.  sweden, france, etc all have similar curves.  we(US) started climbing about 10/20.  we are probably 2 weeks from the drop.

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I was looking at this yesterday.  sweden, france, etc all have similar curves.  we(US) started climbing about 10/20.  we are probably 2 weeks from the drop.

I don't know where you're coming up with this "two weeks from the drop" as we aren't closing anything down.  At least, not to the level that Europe has closed down.  Americans don't take this shit seriously. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

well wishful thinking has gotten this far, I guess...

Pearland beat me to it, but on what earth are Americans taking COVID as seriously as Europe? If anything, I'd expect us to go significantly longer with more deaths than we saw in Europe. Shit, we're about to have a big national holiday where tons of families are throwing caution to the wind because they think it's a hoax or just another flu.

But your sunshine pumping is nice, in an early season aggy sort of way

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

well wishful thinking has gotten this far, I guess...

Pearland beat me to it, but on what earth are Americans taking COVID as seriously as Europe? If anything, I'd expect us to go significantly longer with more deaths than we saw in Europe. Shit, we're about to have a big national holiday where tons of families are throwing caution to the wind because they think it's a hoax or just another flu.

But your sunshine pumping is nice, in an early season aggy sort of way

Yep.  Even my conservative father said he'd bet people will gather in large groups just to spite the recommendations.

And then followed up with confirming he and my stepmom are going to visit my 93 year old grandmother for Christmas.....

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Yep.  Even my conservative father said he'd bet people will gather in large groups just to spite the recommendations.

And then followed up with confirming he and my stepmom are going to visit my 93 year old grandmother for Christmas.....

Grandma has a substantial estate?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, sidis said:

kyle, i would encourage you to read closely some of the weaknesses of this study that have been discussed and linked in this thread over the last few days.

i suspect you won't follow up with your "digging up" non-existent studies but i will hope for the best.  closing business doesn't preclude you from writing four paragraphs here but it does from copying links from data and studies you are apparently intimately familiar with and pasting them.

LOL.

5 hours ago, kevwun said:

And we haven't even gotten in to real winter yet.  If it's seasonality driving the increase, why would the virus stop before conditions are at their most ideal for it's spread?  Spikes happen when people get too comfortable and start going out more.  Then they decline when people get scared back in to social distancing and/or lockdowns occur.

Shit, here in Austin, we are looking at upper 70s/80s into December.  A relative from outside the state was trying to tell me that we are seeing an uptick here in Austin because people are indoors more, and I was like "ummm, we're in the 60s in the morning and 70s in the afternoon, people are spending a lot more time outside than they were when it was over 100 this summer."

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Shit, here in Austin, we are looking at upper 70s/80s into December.  A relative from outside the state was trying to tell me that we are seeing an uptick here in Austin because people are indoors more, and I was like "ummm, we're in the 60s in the morning and 70s in the afternoon, people are spending a lot more time outside than they were when it was over 100 this summer."

Ah well nevertheless 

38 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yup.  I think people are just doing more intermingling than they have since June/July, and it's starting to show up in the numbers.  Again.

I don't know where you're coming up with this "two weeks from the drop" as we aren't closing anything down.  At least, not to the level that Europe has closed down.  Americans don't take this shit seriously. 
And Thanksgiving is next week. We''ll be >250K per day by 12/7 with ~10K deaths a day by the 12th day of Christmas. Likely doubling the present death total by mid February.

This is all seems weird for something that was to disappear 17 days ago.  I think the best thing for all of us to do is to forget mitigation and just not talk about it for about two weeks and that should about do it. 

I have a flight that departs morning the 21st.  It arrives at final destination on evening 22nd, using the shortest available routing offered by  United.

Today on the 20nd, United sends email saying

[Destination] requires proof that you’ve recently tested negative for COVID-19 before allowing you to enter.You’ll need to provide proof of a recent negative test result at the airport before receiving your boarding pass...if you can’t provide this documentation, you may not be allowed to board the aircraft.
Please ensure your test results meet the requirements below:

Destination: [final]
Test type: Molecular: PCR 
Timing: Test results must be dated no earlier than 3 days before your arrival in [destination]

Based on your itinerary, your test results must be dated no earlier than November 20, 2020.

Ignoring the fact that sentence #1 is factually untrue and contradicts the legislation at destination, consider the improbability of fulling this apparent requirement:

* All popular PCR testing sites only provide window of multiple days to receive results e.g. "3 to 4 days" (CVS, Walgreens) "Approximately 7 days" (Quest)

* Test results received on 19th is too early.  Test results received on 21st is too late (flight will have departed)

* The notice of this time-sensitive information being sent out on the evening of the 20th

Idiocy.

11 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I have a flight that departs morning the 21st.  It arrives at final destination on evening 22nd, using the shortest available routing offered by  United.

Today on the 20nd, United sends email saying

Ignoring the fact that sentence #1 is factually untrue and contradicts the legislation at destination, consider the improbability of fulling this apparent requirement:

* All popular PCR testing sites only provide window of multiple days to receive results e.g. "3 to 4 days" (CVS, Walgreens) "Approximately 7 days" (Quest)

* Test results received on 19th is too early.  Test results received on 21st is too late (flight will have departed)

* The notice of this time-sensitive information being sent out on the evening of the 20th

Idiocy.

Same day or 24 hour test results are possible. I'm hoping to travel to the Bahamas next month and they require a negative test result 5 days or less before arrival. There are a few labs that offer 24 hour results in Miami/Ft Lauderdale. The difference is that those labs are doing the test in-house vs CVS/Walgreens send them off to be tested elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, Viking said:

Same day or 24 hour test results are possible. I'm hoping to travel to the Bahamas next month and they require a negative test result 5 days or less before arrival. There are a few labs that offer 24 hour results in Miami/Ft Lauderdale. The difference is that those labs are doing the test in-house vs CVS/Walgreens send them off to be tested elsewhere.

When i was checking all the local centers, the appointments werent available (so need to really really plan ahead) or the fucking places didnt even reply. 

1 clinic wanted a fucking 5 page long quesationaire filled with my grandpa history and all that shit. 

like bro, i can pay cash or with insurance.  In and out.  I dont need you to be my PCP

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away