Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

this is going to just wreck the economy. your economy, mine, everyone's economy. its certainly already is where I am and it feels like a fucking slow death of cancel this, maybe work from home, hey lets all maybe try not to buy up all the toilet paper. the messaging from the gov ends up like a fucking death march. lord. 

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

My teenager just walked by and casually mentioned his girlfriend was at North Star mall this weekend.

spacer.png

Interesting to see the comeback that mall, Ingram, and South Park have made. All were magnets for gangs and mischief for a while but have gotten better in recent years. Now they only rarely see a shooting or stabbing.  La Cantera definitely raised the standard. 

Sorry about your family. Always enjoyed your posts on the baseball & high school football board. Vaya con dios.

• Like 1

Probably goes on the dumb question amnesty thread (and I already fucked up once but people keep asking this around me) but in regards to getting it twice, the doctor on the Saturday conference said no way.

but isn’t the common cold a coronavirus and we only know of 7 kinds of coronaviruses? So then how do people keep getting colds throughout the years? If we can’t get covid19 twice, then I’m definitely getting something wrong, but which part? Thanks in advance. 

1 minute ago, achooloco said:

Probably goes on the dumb question amnesty thread (and I already fucked up once but people keep asking this around me) but in regards to getting it twice, the doctor on the Saturday conference said no way.

but isn’t the common cold a coronavirus and we only know of 7 kinds of coronaviruses? So then how do people keep getting colds throughout the years? If we can’t get covid19 twice, then I’m definitely getting something wrong, but which part? Thanks in advance. 

Mutations.  Same virus not same.

• Like 1

I really like work travel and i'm always worried that my company will figure out that it's really only rarely needed.

Travelled weekly for 6 years. It was great going on 3-4 vacations a year and covering hotel and airfare with points. I do miss that but maybe 20% of that travel was actually useful.
  • Like 2

Reddit turns out the occasional gem

”Literally every country has had ages to prepare. But every country has made the exact same mistake, which is to churn out nothing but optimism until it was too late, because "economies must be kept running". To beat a virus with a one-week incubation period we need to act like it's two weeks later. If we act based on the data we see today, the virus is already one week ahead of us, and we are just playing catch-up.

When the news reports the first case in any country, most people, who are morons, think "oh just one case, no biggie". They don't realise that in Italy and Korea there was a time when there was also "just one case". Because of the long incubation period, the appearance of one case inevitably means that there are already other cases that have not developed symptoms yet. The other problem is that people don't think exponentially. This has been the case in every single country.”

• Like 1

My teenager just walked by and casually mentioned his girlfriend was at North Star mall this weekend.

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51ab36ba8bad6d5694cb92fa5b9f1ffac14ddd311f0&rid=giphy.gif

Oh my god! I was on the same message board thread as a guy whose son was at the same mall as a coronavirus victim. Am I infected?

22 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Interesting to see the comeback that mall, Ingram, and South Park have made. All were magnets for gangs and mischief for a while but have gotten better in recent years. Now they only rarely see a shooting or stabbing.  La Cantera definitely raised the standard. 

Sorry about your family. Always enjoyed your posts on the baseball & high school football board. Vaya con dios.

Yeah, that is interesting. At one point it looked like the box malls were doomed but they seemed to have bounced back. Might be weather related because La Cantera can be a beating when it's hot outside. Which is why I wonder why the hell not go to La Cantera this weekend, the weather was nice.

Just bleached the doorknobs, light switches, handles and surfaces in the house and mainlined elderberry extract. I should be good.

41 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Travelled weekly for 6 years. It was great going on 3-4 vacations a year and covering hotel and airfare with points. I do miss that but maybe 20% of that travel was actually useful.

Same. There were some trips where I spent a total of three hours out of a five day trip at a client's office. I went to a shit ton of MLB baseball games when I was on the road.

7 hours ago, achooloco said:

There are over 200 different viruses that cause the common cold. Only ~15% are coronaviruses. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Woke up, couldn't sleep.  Turned TV on, Alex Jones saying sources he has telling him 1% (3mil) in US dead in 6 months

Even if this crazy fucker is 99% wrong, that's still 33k dead

Alex Jones is on TV?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Woke up, couldn't sleep.  Turned TV on, Alex Jones saying sources he has telling him 1% (3mil) in US dead in 6 months

Lol. What?

How about this for "analysis"? 

"Alex Jones saying sources he has telling him 10% (30 mil) in US dead in 6 months. 

Even if this crazy fucker is 99% wrong, that's still 330k dead."

Or hey, let's change the number to 100% dead in 6 months....

10 hours ago, Txzen said:

As does Regeneron and many others. Still have to pick neutralizing antibodies. Still might want to affinity mature them. Even with high-throughput screens, this takes time before you have your thing.

But there are so few antibody therapeutics for infectious diseases (anthrax is the one that comes to mind). Most vaccines are not antibodies, but preparations of inactivated virus.

The kicker is, how many large pharmas even have infectious disease groups anymore? Wasn't sure Amgen did, and Novartis culled most of their work last year. It's going to come from someone smaller (or the CDC, who did the H1N1 vaccine in about 8 months). There'll certainly also be a few trials like this one which test existing antivirals drugs to treat infections. 

I was reading my response to you earlier and I forgot perhaps the biggest issue with using monoclonal antibodies against infectious disease, cost. Nobody is going to pay thousands for a drug against most infectious diseases. And a drug for this pandemic would almost need to be given away. With that said, there are probably only a few quick paths to developing a drug for COVID-19 assuming there isn't something already developed that can be repurposed.

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Who the fuck has blown the budget with two months in the books? Even I’m still close to forecast and I’m borderline incompetent. 

people who are bad at budgets or those who are impacted (already) by coronavirus?

but seriously, already blowing the budget 60 days into the year is...

asks russian GIF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Well, considering almost 3M people die each year.....

8 hours ago, WBT said:

At what point do people realize that this is already global and that the travel bans are pointless?

The good news is that if it has been circulating more than realized, lots more people have had it and recovered without even realizing it. That means the denominator is much higher so the mortality rate is way lower than the Chinese 2% everyone has been wetting their pants over. 

• Like 5

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away