Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

12 minutes ago, Kanly said:

EJ came out to louisville to watch rondale moore just after he committed to us. On his next podcast he described Louisville as a shitty town with no ice cream. There is a graeter's about a block from trinity high school. What a douchebag.

I mean Louisville is a shitty town but not due to a lack of ice cream

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

That’s your takeaway from that episode? His lack of ice cream knowledge? How about the fact that EJ thought Moore was a poor evaluation by the staff and a bad football prospect? 

EJ should have retired after the Rondale Moore "evaluation". 

Credit to the kid for outkicking his coverage. His wife is on her way to becoming a doctor, and she's attractive. 

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah. 

EJ Holland wrote about it, which is part of what made it even more absurd, but yeah, it sounded ... like quite the occasion. 

I can’t remember all the details and haven’t spoken to SLX in years. It seems like the premise was he invited them to dinner - he is a connector type and that’s not unusual if he’s interested in understanding something. He gave them a choice to eat wherever they’d like and he’d buy. 

Roach and Holland pushed for Appleby’s while SLX was thinking a steakhouse or sushi. 

They show up and Roach starts ordering food immediately. Holland starts talking. That continued to be the theme. Roach ran through every appetizer on the menu, some sort of steak with cheese on top and a dessert while guzzling a coke of some sort. Holland, meanwhile, proceeds to lament the utter lack of knowledge about the game of football among the UT fanbase. He drinks like 4 shakes and never stops talking about himself, clothes, or his career aspirations as a serious novelist. He couldn’t remember SLX’s real name at the end of the meal when they depart. 

SLX tells @SydneyCarton, the “Greg Davis on 3rd and 5” graphic guy, and me about the experience and it sounded predictable yet surreal. He was left with a dim but favorable view of Roach and considered EJ Holland a useless dipshit that knew almost as little as he cared in regard to the sport or UT. 

I despise Holland and used to run him over on 247 and he’d go cry to Burton and then appeal to sycophants on that board who would then bitch at me for being a meanie. I thought the guy was trash and too far in the bag for the trainers and their agendas, so I never let up. In one breakdown of one of his idiotic positions, he froze my posting ability while he proceeded to rebut me and let cronies defend him as well, without addressing any facts or merit, for like an hour. So I unsubscribed and moved on. 

Months later he wrote his write-up of meeting me and describing me as some other worldly weirdo, I started getting texts in mockery from my asshole friends who knew the deal while I was overseas, and then the premise became a running joke on Shaggy. Shortly thereafter, EJ ran off to cover Notre Dame, immediately ran over the Texas fanbase, and hasn’t been seen since as far as I know. 

You forgot EJ asked the restaurant to make him avocado toast

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Kanly said:

EJ came out to louisville to watch rondale moore just after he committed to us. On his next podcast he described Louisville as a shitty town with no ice cream. There is a graeter's about a block from trinity high school. What a douchebag.

14 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

That’s your takeaway from that episode? His lack of ice cream knowledge? How about the fact that EJ thought Moore was a poor evaluation by the staff and a bad football prospect? 

I think the lesson is that EJ sucks at evaluating everything but marital prospects.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Just confirmation that everyone wants to interview Arnett but no one wants to offer him the job:

Zach Arnett: Last night we reported LSU does not plan to offer Zach Arnett their defensive coordinator job (per source). Today, we can add that Oregon does not plan to either (per source). Arnett interviewed for the jobs over the past two days.

https://footballscoop.com/the-scoop-2/the-scoop-wednesday-january-13-2021/

One thing I forgot to add on the guys covering this stuff is that Jeff Howe is one of the good guys. He’s nice, he pays attention and has a good bullshit filter for what he’s being fed by recruits/street agents/he coaches, he gives a shit, he does leg work regarding watching guys and talking to folks, you name it. I will be surprised if he’s not at whatever Burton and crew are building before the end of 2021. 

• Hook 'Em 9

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

EJ should have retired after the Rondale Moore "evaluation". 

Credit to the kid for outkicking his coverage. His wife is on her way to becoming a doctor, and she's attractive. 

This is probably part of the reason he’s a douche professionally. In the back of his mind he’s thinking “I don’t need this shit. I’m set down the road.” Then his wife picks family practice and he’s not really balling to the level he’s expected. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Joe Brady is apparently making a move on the inside rail for title of “Shittiest Interviewee.” 

And remember the guy who had that tag the longest? “He’s a great coach, just doesn’t interview well, if he ever got his shot, he’d be an amazing head coach!” Then we hired him, and figured out he needed Urban Meyer or Teddy Bridgewater. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah. 

EJ Holland wrote about it, which is part of what made it even more absurd, but yeah, it sounded ... like quite the occasion. 

I can’t remember all the details and haven’t spoken to SLX in years. It seems like the premise was he invited them to dinner - he is a connector type and that’s not unusual if he’s interested in understanding something. He gave them a choice to eat wherever they’d like and he’d buy. 

Roach and Holland pushed for Appleby’s while SLX was thinking a steakhouse or sushi. 

They show up and Roach starts ordering food immediately. Holland starts talking. That continued to be the theme. Roach ran through every appetizer on the menu, some sort of steak with cheese on top and a dessert while guzzling a coke of some sort. Holland, meanwhile, proceeds to lament the utter lack of knowledge about the game of football among the UT fanbase. He drinks like 4 shakes and never stops talking about himself, clothes, or his career aspirations as a serious novelist. He couldn’t remember SLX’s real name at the end of the meal when they depart. 

SLX tells @SydneyCarton, the “Greg Davis on 3rd and 5” graphic guy, and me about the experience and it sounded predictable yet surreal. He was left with a dim but favorable view of Roach and considered EJ Holland a useless dipshit that knew almost as little as he cared in regard to the sport or UT. 

I despise Holland and used to run him over on 247 and he’d go cry to Burton and then appeal to sycophants on that board who would then bitch at me for being a meanie. I thought the guy was trash and too far in the bag for the trainers and their agendas, so I never let up. In one breakdown of one of his idiotic positions, he froze my posting ability while he proceeded to rebut me and let cronies defend him as well, without addressing any facts or merit, for like an hour. So I unsubscribed and moved on. 

Months later he wrote his write-up of meeting me and describing me as some other worldly weirdo, I started getting texts in mockery from my asshole friends who knew the deal while I was overseas, and then the premise became a running joke on Shaggy. Shortly thereafter, EJ ran off to cover Notre Dame, immediately ran over the Texas fanbase, and hasn’t been seen since as far as I know. 

2F082D66-6318-4776-AA92-37338CCF020C.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

All those keystrokes and you're not gonna tell us what Elko said or did?

Like I said- the part that stuck with me was my dad bc I know him, and that hit close. Even then- I only remember the big picture of sad making an ass of himself. 
the general take away was that given the opportunity to let dad off the hook graciously, like a public figure who has to deal with nitwits all the time should do and have a lot of practice doing, he instead was as ungracious as possible. Ok, fine, play it that way. He then proceeded to spend two hours digging the 16 year old volunteer umps, yelling at his kid nonstop, and giving the coach unsolicited advice. Which- since he’s in the business you’d think he’d realize just how douchey that is.  It apparently he ha no self awareness and no social graces. 
wish I could remember all the ins and outs of the story. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I would love a separate thread on stories about the $9.95 world and how it’s changed since the days when my dad used to get a dozen or so hand-typed newsletters in the mail each summer.  The CFB fan fiction world fascinates me. 

If only there were an entire subforum on this site for these discussions.  Oh well, can't expect @immamacto have thought of everything.  Maybe after this site gets shut down and we move to the next site, we can get this added.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One thing I forgot to add on the guys covering this stuff is that Jeff Howe is one of the good guys. He’s nice, he pays attention and has a good bullshit filter for what he’s being fed by recruits/street agents/he coaches, he gives a shit, he does leg work regarding watching guys and talking to folks, you name it. I will be surprised if he’s not at whatever Burton and crew are building before the end of 2021. 

I wouldn't be surprised by that either.

1 hour ago, GeoffE said:

@closetojumping keep the info coming. This is great morning reading for those of us who haven't been here very long.

I've been members of other 9.95 boards since around 2000 or 2001 but still love hearing the great tales about the various sites and their employees.

quit being a suckup.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

I don’t specifically hate Joe Cook, maybe because he doesn’t really pretend to be a reporter. His Twitter threads of plays after games are good. 

Joe also doesn’t get involved with things that he doesn’t have sources. He’s their only guy in Austin so that’s why he ends up covering football, basketball, and baseball games. 

1 hour ago, Daichee Bell said:

I need to go back and listen to the press conference, but FCB made a comment about already knowing Sark.  Wonder if that gave him an in. 

That was so weird.. hey u were a friend with a friend of mine..who's dead...

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

He also ran over basically every single one of his former co workers and bosses on the way out as well. Dude has stepped on too many toes to make it far at this point. Also is a complete fucking douche

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

He is on the Michigan beat for Rivals now

I wouldn't be surprised if he joins OB, he was kissing up to Geoff on twitter on his way out, think he called him the godfather or something.  Once his wife finishes med school or whatever, they probably comeback.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

I think the lesson is that EJ sucks at evaluating everything but marital prospects.

Of the few photos I have seen y'all post of him, if I saw him on the street and was forced to make an opinion, I would just assume he likes dudes. (NTTIAWWT). The attaractive wife was especially confusing to me.

So Bob Stoops groomed Lincoln Riley to be his replacement, allowing a seamless transition to a new HC. That's what Alabama was doing with Sark, but we stepped right into the middle of their plans. We hired the heir apparent to the hottest program in college football. Wouldn't be too surprised to find out that Alabama and Saban offered Sark the HC job if he would stay, but he opted for the Lone Star State. It probably didn't hurt that UT had two blowout wins to end the season. Like Sark said, paraphrasing, we'll get up to speed quicker than people think.

Every kid in our program just realized that if they want to keep (or get) starting jobs until they graduate, they'd better start working on it tomorrow. Put on those track shoes boys. Back to the weight room, tomorrow.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Roach ran through every appetizer on the menu, some sort of steak with cheese on top and a dessert while guzzling a coke of some sort.

He was left with a dim but favorable view of Roach

fuck, I need SLX handling my next job interview.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

I agree, he’s great. He needs to get away from Chip Brown ASAP

Roach has been at the forefront of the assistant coaching search over there so looks like he's already being groomed for Howe's role. 

• Hook 'Em 1