The US Capitol has been Breached [Action and Developing stories]

immamac

5 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Read somewhere that Congress is in recess since they certified the vote and managed to escape the Capitol with their lives, and that moving forward with articles of impeachment would require the House to reconvene.  So that's one likely obstacle/cause of delay.

Well I'm sure it's super tough, but I'm betting they all have smart phones and can probably organize a meet up time.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Read somewhere that Congress is in recess since they certified the vote and managed to escape the Capitol with their lives, and that moving forward with articles of impeachment would require the House to reconvene.  So that's one likely obstacle/cause of delay.

Pelosi said theyre having a call at noon tomorrow (her and her caucus) to see how serious they are about impeachment. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Pelosi said theyre having a call at noon tomorrow (her and her caucus) to see how serious they are about impeachment. 

House recessed until the 11th, Liu intends to introduce the articles on Monday. 

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Somebody who has sunk $6 million into your campaign, and is royally pissed at you.  That's somebody that would happily dump $6 million or $12 million into your opponent's campaign.  Pissing off the BMDs to please the plebes is not good for Presidential aspirations.

I know that all the Congress folk went out of their way to thank the cops last night as they did their grandstanding, but I wonder if now that they’ve likely seen what went on outside the Capitol building they’ve changed their tune. 
I mean the cops either were on the side of the insurrection or they, as they’ve done countless times before, decided to keep themselves safe at the expense and potentially lives of those around them. 
I assume secret service brass isn’t all that pleased with the cap pol performance either. 

politicans can’t come out and rail on cops though. Calling for resignations as a result of “mistakes” made like Nancy did is about the public extent of it. 

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Somebody who has sunk $6 million into your campaign, and is royally pissed at you.  That's somebody that would happily dump $6 million or $12 million into your opponent's campaign.  Pissing off the BMDs to please the plebes is not good for Presidential aspirations.

Yep. These are the type of BMDs you expect to drop a fat check into your presidential exploratory committee - this guy will either sit out or back a different 2024 horse. And get their friends to do it too. 

11 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

House recessed until the 11th, Liu intends to introduce the articles on Monday. 

Nancy/Whoever:  Hi, I know you just got home.

Congress member:  Yep, just walked in the door, was a long night and a crazy day yesterday.

Nancy/Whoever:  What do you think about turning around and heading out the door and coming back to impeach Donald.

Congress member:  tenor.gif?itemid=4905604

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I know that all the Congress folk went out of their way to thank the cops last night as they did their grandstanding, but I wonder if now that they’ve likely seen what went on outside the Capitol building they’ve changed their tune. 
I mean the cops either were on the side of the insurrection or they, as they’ve done countless times before, decided to keep themselves safe at the expense and potentially lives of those around them. 
I assume secret service brass isn’t all that pleased with the cap pol performance either. 

politicans can’t come out and rail on cops though. Calling for resignations as a result of “mistakes” made like Nancy did is about the public extent of it. 

Well the House Sergeant-at-Arms had to resign (which has to be a huge blow, as that's a prestigious position), as did the Capitol Police Chief, and I've heard they are going to nail those police who were taking selfies and/or fucking around.

But for a lot of the members of Congress, it comes down to:  Did the Capitol Police get me safely out of a fucking scary situation?

And that answer is yes, even if the police didn't help with keeping the situation from getting out of hand.   Pictures of "patriot" with zip ties didn't help.

We don't know how much went on behind the scenes, but from all accounts, the members and their aides (and the ballots) were hustled out to safe areas quickly and quietly.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well I'm sure it's super tough, but I'm betting they all have smart phones and can probably organize a meet up time.  

C'mon man, they all stayed up super late last night. Cut them some slack. They'll get to it at 11:30 on the 20th.

• Rage+1 1

During his speech, trump was behind a very thick layer of plexiglass. Thought it was unusual at the time. Especially since firearms are illegal in DC. Now I realize he expected his supporters to be armed before they stormed the Capitol and that nobody would have checked. Trump wanted pence and some senators dead.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/after-capitol-riot-trump-officials-rush-to-keep-him-from-sparking-another-conflictat-home-or-abroad?ref=home?ref=home

High-ranking national security officials have spent the last 24 hours scrambling to figure out how to keep their commander-in-chief, Donald Trump, from inciting further violence at home to spilling national secrets to sparking last-minute confrontations with international foes.

The concerns in the upper echelons of the administration’s national security community range from fears inside the Pentagon that the president will do or say something that effectively throws the U.S. into a military confrontation with another country to anxieties in the intelligence apparatus that Trump will divulge classified intelligence on his way out, according to four officials who spoke with The Daily Beast about the matter. All requested to remain anonymous in order to speak more openly about the discussions.

“This isn’t a hypothetical anymore,” said one senior administration official. “This is real. What happened yesterday changed the calculus. People are concerned about [the president’s] state of mind.”

After a pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol building Wednesday, several high-ranking national security and White House officials were on the edge of resigning, according to two sources familiar with the matter. Officials called and texted one another, probing whether they would call it quits. Several did step down, including deputy national security adviser Matt Pottinger. But after a series of calls from prominent GOP lawmakers, including Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY), leading national security officials decided to stay in office, at least for the time being, in order to preserve cohesiveness but also to provide safeguards in the coming weeks. One of those individuals asked to stay on is national security adviser Robert O’Brien. Officials inside the State Department close to the secretary say they are unaware of any plans by Mike Pompeo to step down.

Spoiler

For those who have decided to stay on, their main focus is preventing President Trump from pushing the country further into chaos. The fears, some of which were laid out by Axios Thursday, have grown so intense over the last day that officials have contacted leading lawmakers on Capitol Hill to informally brief them about the situation, according to two congressional aides familiar with the matter.

“The president was trying to stage a coup. There was little chance of it happening, but there was enough chance that the former defense secretaries had to put out that letter, which was the final nail through that effort. They prevented the military from being involved in any coup attempt. But instead, Trump tried to incite it himself,” said Fiona Hill, Trump’s former top Russia adviser. “This could have turned into a full-blown coup had he had any of those key institutions following him. Just because it failed or didn’t succeed doesn’t mean it wasn’t real.”

Defense and intelligence officials have discussed attempting to prevent the president and his loyalists at the Pentagon—especially Kash Patel, the chief of staff to Acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller—from tampering with classified information or carrying out their own political agendas that could threaten the security of the United States, three currently-serving senior officials told The Daily Beast.

“I am worried about DOD [Department of Defense]. I do not trust the political appointees,” one former senior national security official said.

“I’m worried about the relationships with nations that we consider foreign adversaries,” the former official added. “I wouldn’t put it past him to share intelligence. There are a number of ways he could cause grave damage in the name of a burn-it-all-down mentality.”

Part of the problem, officials said, is that Trump’s inner circle has been even further cut off from the rest of the administration. And those who are left and are still communicating with him are “not going to rock the boat,” one senior official said.

“There is no one to tell the truth to him at all anymore,” another former senior national security official said. “That’s the problem. Even if they did, he wouldn’t listen.”

White House Counsel Pat Cipollone has already cautioned the president that he could be in potential legal jeopardy for egging on the rioters, a person familiar with the warning said. (This was previously reported by The New York Times.) The White House lawyer’s warning was viewed by some close to Trump as one of the ways that could maybe, perhaps, sort of deter making matters worse. This president is famously litigious, after all, the logic goes. “It’s a language he speaks,” the source said, but added that it was abundantly unclear how effective Cipollone’s warning would be.

Officials have also discussed other strategies for how to limit Trump’s capacity to do harm—from limiting the flow of some information to the president's desk to slow-walking certain geopolitically sensitive decisions.

On Capitol Hill, both Democratic and Republican lawmakers have voiced concerns about the president’s state of mind and whether he is still fit for office. Several members of the House Judiciary Committee have circulated draft articles of impeachment. Others, including Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY), called for the president’s removal via the 25th amendment. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) told reporters Thursday that if the executive branch did not remove the president via the 25th amendment, the House would move toward impeachment.

In the past 24 hours, several senior administration officials have quietly sought to tamp down internal chatter of invoking the 25th Amendment to force Trump’s removal from office, according to three people with knowledge of the conversations. These sources say that the efforts are motivated in part by the fear that his removal, though unlikely to begin with, could cause further violent uprisings by Trump supporters in Washington, D.C. and elsewhere in the United States, and also by concerns that more talk, even if fleeting, of the 25th amendment could further enrage Trump and cause him to tweet or announce to his extremist fans that they should fight against that as well.

“It could easily lead to the president inspiring people to act out even more, with the message being that [MAGA’s enemies] are stealing more from you,” said another senior Trump administration official, who added it could, in Trump and his diehard followers’ eyes, vindicate the “‘Deep State’ rhetoric.”

Amid a growing slate of high-profile Trump administration resignations since Wednesday, several former top Trump lieutenants and key allies have come out publicly to trash the president’s actions this week, and to state that this week will likely live on as a defining moment of Trump’s legacy. 

On Thursday afternoon, Joe Grogan, who was the top White House domestic policy adviser to Trump until May of last year, went as far as to tell The Daily Beast that “yesterday was the worst day for the Republican Party since Lincoln’s assassination.”

The former senior aide continued, “It was a disgrace and a tragedy…[Trump] had plenty of opportunities to off-ramp before this—and should have conceded before it came to this.” Grogan also didn’t exude confidence about certain former colleagues who are still advising the president during this crisis, bluntly describing some current aides surrounding Trump as “psycho[s].”

51 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Playing Gloria in the background is the chef's kiss

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Unfortunately, that is from the rally that was before the insurrection. But yeah, they all suck.

Yeah, that sure looks like he’s about to go on for his start the terrorist attack speech.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

simon schuster going to fuck around and find out what happens when MAGA NATION stops reading books

MAGA can’t read anyway.  Simon and Schuster won’t lose much, unless most of the book is filled with pictures.

The real reason Hawley’s contract was cancelled is because his editor heard him use the non-word “irregardless” in his argument on the Senate floor last night.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

“This isn’t a hypothetical anymore,” said one senior administration official. “This is real. What happened yesterday changed the calculus. People are concerned about [the president’s] state of mind.”

Weird how we’ve been able to see this from DAY FUCKING ONE. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

So because of the Becky's Flowers thing I dug a bit on the PPP database and found some interesting tidbits. Check out the 10,000,000 club from Texas.

image.thumb.png.307c170a309786a4609ade929853d35f.png

I can tell you right now there is now fucking way Rosa's Cafe shut down any of their stores in Midland, TX. The town would riot.

• Hook 'Em 1

TexAgs apparently believes Trump is a martyr, Jesus, and Rocky Balboa all rolled into one:

"He took more hits than any other human on the planet could have endured and came closer to taking down the swamp than anyone could have expected. Who knew it ran so deep? I'm afraid he was the last realistic shot at it.

I appreciate President Trump for taking on the impossible and putting himself, his family, and his fortune at risk."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, LTbear said:

TexAgs apparently believes Trump is a martyr, Jesus, and Rocky Balboa all rolled into one:

"He took more hits than any other human on the planet could have endured and came closer to taking down the swamp than anyone could have expected. Who knew it ran so deep? I'm afraid he was the last realistic shot at it.

I appreciate President Trump for taking on the impossible and putting himself, his family, and his fortune at risk."

Does that mean that they won't vote in the future because the swamp won for good? That would be cool

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

The profit from a lot of "political books" comes from the party and related organization purchases.  Self-publishing might actually be a good deal for that.  Otherwise, I suppose the promotion that comes from a publishing house might be worthwhile.

He's a guy writing about the perils of Big Tech.  Now he'll have to use Big Tech.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

What was the price of that trump video?

did we leverage the 25th against him?

did we make promises of no investigation/indictments?

Pardon from Biden?

Biden says he would not pardon Trump or block investigations
By BILL BARROW
May 15, 2020

9 minutes ago, LTbear said:

I can’t even fathom the mindset it takes to believe this. 

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

Playing Gloria in the background is the chef's kiss

Say what you will, but that’s a great fucking song. 

32 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Something to mull over and pay attention to in the days, weeks, and months to come:

I agree that’s the real risk

35 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

During his speech, trump was behind a very thick layer of plexiglass. Thought it was unusual at the time. Especially since firearms are illegal in DC. Now I realize he expected his supporters to be armed before they stormed the Capitol and that nobody would have checked. Trump wanted pence and some senators dead.

You think there were people with weapons at the president's speech? You do know the Secret Service kinda frowns on that, right?