Running thread of white people calling cops on people of color for everyday stuff...

Pancho

16 hours ago, Hairy Biped said:

Hmmmm . . . not to get too political here, but isn't Boulder the fascist city that's trying to unconstitutionally ban guns?  Interesting.

Boulder's completely fucked.  They definitely are smug from sniffing their own farts.

• Like 1

On March 8, 2019 at 12:01 AM, Kyle said:

Praise the Lord. I was starting to shake - need an anecdotal outrage fix.

You've got your anecdotal outrage in your exception-to-the-rule Smollett theread, dummy. That's like a Baylor fan using the story about how that one girl falsely accused a USC football player of rape, sending him to jail and forfeiting his career, to convince yourself that the Baylor football players and Art Briles were innocent. 

Are you Ken Starr?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You've got your anecdotal outrage in your exception-to-the-rule Smollett theread, dummy. That's like a Baylor fan using the story about how that one girl falsely accused a USC football player of rape, sending him to jail and forfeiting his career, to convince yourself that the Baylor football players and Art Briles were innocent. 

Are you Ken Starr?

Do you think there have only been one case of fake hate crimes and one false rape claim? Project much?

• 3 weeks later...

Lawyering while black. Lawyer enters appearance, interacts with Judge on behalf of client, Judge enters order. Common occurrence in a courtroom. Super cop pulls him aside outside the courtroom; has questions. 

https://abovethelaw.com/2019/03/black-lawyer-detained-at-courthouse-pretty-much-for-being-black/?fbclid=IwAR1JyXrMQtGfzPAWVrEwrFGUmaIkOYbGhypfpfXhPi5H_xtb-tep8BQ1hc4

Edited by 'stache

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Lawyering while black. Lawyer enters appearance, interacts with Judge on behalf of client, Judge enters order. Common occurrence in a courtroom. Super cop pulls him aside outside the courtroom; has questions. 

https://abovethelaw.com/2019/03/black-lawyer-detained-at-courthouse-pretty-much-for-being-black/?fbclid=IwAR1JyXrMQtGfzPAWVrEwrFGUmaIkOYbGhypfpfXhPi5H_xtb-tep8BQ1hc4

that cop is big time 'tarded.  it was maryland.  my guess is the local bar has a ton of black people.   i don't get it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cop who pulled gun on black dude for cleaning up trash outside of his dorm room has resigned. There's is 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/colorado-cop-who-pulled-gun-man-picking-trash-outside-his-n1006851

Colorado cop who pulled gun on man picking up trash outside his home resigns
“You’re on my property with a gun in your hand, threatening to shoot me because I’m picking up trash,” the man said to the officer.

The police officer who pulled a gun on a man picking up trash outside his own home in Boulder, Colorado, has resigned, city officials said Thursday.

Boulder officials conducted an investigation of the March incident of officer John Smyly confronting Zayd Atkinson outside his home.

Smyly attempted to detain Atkinson, a student at Naropa University in Boulder, asking him to prove he lived on the property.

Atkinson, who is black and said after the incident that he felt he was racially profiled, showed Smyly, who is white, his student identification card, but the officer said he needed needed further proof.

On body-camera footage the city released Thursday, Atkinson can be heard saying, “I’m a student, I live here ... I’m doing my job.”

As Atkinson attempted to continue to pick up trash, Smyly told him, “You’re probably going to get tased,” and eventually pulled out his gun, claiming Atkinson’s trash grabber could be used as a weapon.

“You’re on my property with a gun in your hand, threatening to shoot me because I’m picking up trash,” Atkinson said. "I don't have a weapon. This is a bucket. This is a clamp.”

On Thursday, the city announced the conclusion of an internal investigation, saying it found Smyly violated two department policies could not substantiate claims of racial bias. However, Smyly resigned before the investigation concluded. He will be on the city payroll until February 2020.

“The exchange between Officer Smyly and Mr. Atkinson does not represent the professionalism of the Boulder Police Department nor the community Boulder desires to be,” City Attorney Tom Carr said in a statement.

Atkinson’s attorney, Siddhartha Rathod, said he thinks Smyly is getting off too easy. "Boulder is essentially saying, 'We're going to pay this officer and let him resign for threatening Zayd's life, for racially profiling Zayd,'" Rathod told The Associated Press. "If you or I were to do this, we would be criminally charged. We would immediately lose our jobs."

Here's the bodycam footage

On Thursday, the city announced the conclusion of an internal investigation, saying it found Smyly violated two department policies could not substantiate claims of racial bias. However, Smyly resigned before the investigation concluded. He will be on the city payroll until February 2020.

Almost a year free pay for violating two departmental policies.

• 1 month later...

https://www.rrstar.com/news/20190617/man-arrested-while-attached-to-iv-machine-says-he-was-racially-profiled

"The security officer, who has not been named, demanded that Dukes and his companions walk over to his vehicle parked on the side of the street. The security guard, employed by FHN, then accused Dukes of attempting to steal the hospital equipment, according to Dukes.

“He had gotten out of his vehicle and said, ‘What are you going to do, steal that and sell it on eBay?’” Dukes said. “I told him, ‘This machine is pumping fluid into my veins as we speak.’”

After some banter back and forth, the security officer radioed Freeport police, who were dispatched to the hospital around 4:40 p.m. Dukes said his brother was arrested soon after police arrived and he was arrested a few minutes later. A third man, who recorded the arrests on video, was arrested later.

Dukes said he was told by police that he was under arrest for attempted theft, since he was off hospital property with the medical equipment. He contends that he only left hospital property to make his way to the security officer’s vehicle when ordered to do so."

I thought this was funny. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

On 5/22/2019 at 9:37 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm guessing unions.

Unions that protect the bad cops are the #1 reason we need a complete overhaul of the criminal justice system.  It all starts with public interactions.  

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 10:00 AM, irishtexan said:

Cop who pulled gun on black dude for cleaning up trash outside of his dorm room has resigned. There's is 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/colorado-cop-who-pulled-gun-man-picking-trash-outside-his-n1006851

Colorado cop who pulled gun on man picking up trash outside his home resigns
“You’re on my property with a gun in your hand, threatening to shoot me because I’m picking up trash,” the man said to the officer.

The police officer who pulled a gun on a man picking up trash outside his own home in Boulder, Colorado, has resigned, city officials said Thursday.

Boulder officials conducted an investigation of the March incident of officer John Smyly confronting Zayd Atkinson outside his home.

Smyly attempted to detain Atkinson, a student at Naropa University in Boulder, asking him to prove he lived on the property.

Atkinson, who is black and said after the incident that he felt he was racially profiled, showed Smyly, who is white, his student identification card, but the officer said he needed needed further proof.

On body-camera footage the city released Thursday, Atkinson can be heard saying, “I’m a student, I live here ... I’m doing my job.”

As Atkinson attempted to continue to pick up trash, Smyly told him, “You’re probably going to get tased,” and eventually pulled out his gun, claiming Atkinson’s trash grabber could be used as a weapon.

“You’re on my property with a gun in your hand, threatening to shoot me because I’m picking up trash,” Atkinson said. "I don't have a weapon. This is a bucket. This is a clamp.”

“The exchange between Officer Smyly and Mr. Atkinson does not represent the professionalism of the Boulder Police Department nor the community Boulder desires to be,” City Attorney Tom Carr said in a statement.

Atkinson’s attorney, Siddhartha Rathod, said he thinks Smyly is getting off too easy. "Boulder is essentially saying, 'We're going to pay this officer and let him resign for threatening Zayd's life, for racially profiling Zayd,'" Rathod told The Associated Press. "If you or I were to do this, we would be criminally charged. We would immediately lose our jobs."

Here's the bodycam footage

Sucks and is ridiculous.  That said once you are told you are being detained there should be some respect for the law even if the officer is abusing his position.

So you want a society that can determine, in the moment, when they can't or shouldn't be detained?   I'm not for dumb ass cops, which this guy is, but without respect for the law we're just another 3rd world country on the path to chaos.

Edited by RollLeft

So what started this disagreement?  A 35 year old software engineer is getting the cops called on him because he’s standing outside a building?

Or was he trying to get into the building without having a resident buzz him in?  If it’s the latter, another resident has the right to prevent a non-resident from entering.  Or call the cops if they don’t want to physically stop him. 

1 minute ago, pyrohornIII said:

Either way, once the guy's friend showed up, it should have been over.  Apologies made and life goes on.  But the guy keeps trying to justify his actions.  That is simply pride over civility.  'Murica.

Which guy are you saying is justifying his actions?  I can’t follow your point.

Regardless the twitter poster looks to be stirring up a controversy but not posting the full story.  And it’s never cool filming a child and putting that video on the internet.  Maybe the kid is in your way but you need to blur out the kid or not post those frames.

I agree with the kid thing. And I can see your point about the beginning. 

I was talking about the one making the cop call.  Not the one filming.  The one filming explained what he was doing there.  His friend showing up supported that.  Why continue the call to the police?    Her showing up should have been a de-escalation all the way around. 

Here's a pretty good article on it. 

https://heavy.com/news/2019/07/christopher-chris-cukor-san-francisco-video/amp/

Yeah the white guy should have ended the call to the cops but I can’t see any specific racism in this story or video. And I would assume that a YouTube exec wouldn’t be a racist but maybe he is. I don’t know. 

But it’s also convenient that a self described activist runs into a “racist” calling the cops on him, and the activist decides for himself and apparently the internet that the white guy is a racist abd deserves to be punished. 

I still can’t tell what the entire story or outrage is. 

And again the heavy.com story is wrong to bring the young child into it. 

42 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Either way, once the guy's friend showed up, it should have been over.  Apologies made and life goes on.  But the guy keeps trying to justify his actions.  That is simply pride over civility.  'Murica.

Pride over civility. You said it right there.

Our pride is what always does us in.