Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

50 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I agree.  But if the goal is Big 12 survival they have to expand which inevitably means getting the networks to the table to negotiate this issue.  I just don't how publicly going to war with ESPN in any way is the best strategy for survival and/or the best deal to the extent they are able to survive.   I have zero issue with the threat and "cease and desist" message assuming a basis for it. I just think it should have been back channeled.   

Agree

Publicly throwing a hissy fit over this is a bad look for Bowlsby. Of course the networks are actively involved in discreetly brokering these deals. That's been true for every move made.

* Or maybe not, since I don't remember if ESPN/CBS ponied up much additional coin for aggy and mizery

Edited by DFW Horn
mistake?

It's actually not how conferences work. Healthy, long term conferences don't have this problem and when they do they relentlessly pick on the less fortunate (see B1G and Rutgers). Is there a perfect balance? no, but don't try to come in here and bullshit us that if MICH and OSU left that the B1G would implode like the Big XII did. They have Wiscy, Mich st, PSU, etc etc basically everyone but shit ass rutgers has a very substantial fanbase and a big portion of eyes would still watch those games. Michigan has been dogshit the last 15 years and they are nowhere near the Brand that Texas is financially when they are bad. 
I think it was actually Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou, A&M, UT, and OU leaving that did in the Big 12. Not sure any conference could survive that.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, hook me said:

I hail from a city that is home to one of the left behind schools. I hate the potential negative impact this move will have on this city and area. These schools aren't worthless, they're just not worth as much as they think they are, & usually not even close to what they think they are. They've been attached to UT & OU so long that they've acquired a false sense of worth that would rival aggy if they were compared side by side. OSU is the 3rd best option of the left behind and they're not worth what the Pac 12 is distributing. Add to that the fact that OSU will make the Pac 12 uneven & they'll need to add another school and that makes the dilution even worse. Don't worry though, the Pac 12 has terrible leadership so there's no telling what they'll do & whatever school you're hoping will backdoor its way into a P4 conference certainly has a chance.

Whichever town that is will still be hosting the same number of football games and other athletic events. I don’t know that visitor travel will be all that different if the opponents are Houston and Tulsa instead of Baylor and Texas. 

maybe the university can’t afford the same things as before, but maintenance of current facilities shouldn’t be a budget buster. 

so how much will it really affect this town?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Whichever town that is will still be hosting the same number of football games and other athletic events. I don’t know that visitor travel will be all that different if the opponents are Houston and Tulsa instead of Baylor and Texas. 

maybe the university can’t afford the same things as before, but maintenance of current facilities shouldn’t be a budget buster. 

so how much will it really affect this town?

Exactly, if your city can't handle being in another conference for college athletics than UT and OU, then your city sucks.

Why should Tech, Baylor, and TCU benefit in perpetuity from UT's largesse?  Is it not equally important that UT is held back by those schools, or is it only that we help prop them up that matters?

Rice is doing fine.  Hell, Rice is still the best school in Texas, and from time to time they actually have a sports program or two that don't completely suck.  What exactly is the point of a university, anyway?

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Agree

Publicly throwing a hissy fit over this is a bad look for Bowlsby. Of course the networks are actively involved in discreetly brokering these deals. That's been true for every move made.

* Or maybe not, since I don't remember if ESPN/CBS ponied up much additional coin for aggy and mizery

Right.  Are we to believe Bob wasn't crunching numbers with ESPN/Fox when he was trying to push for expansion a few years back?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Okie State said:
2 hours ago, immamac said:
It's actually not how conferences work. Healthy, long term conferences don't have this problem and when they do they relentlessly pick on the less fortunate (see B1G and Rutgers). Is there a perfect balance? no, but don't try to come in here and bullshit us that if MICH and OSU left that the B1G would implode like the Big XII did. They have Wiscy, Mich st, PSU, etc etc basically everyone but shit ass rutgers has a very substantial fanbase and a big portion of eyes would still watch those games. Michigan has been dogshit the last 15 years and they are nowhere near the Brand that Texas is financially when they are bad. 

I think it was actually Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou, A&M, UT, and OU leaving that did in the Big 12. Not sure any conference could survive that.

Yup, it's why the old Big East died.

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yup.  Texas and OU risk doing more damage to their prospects the longer they stay as lame ducks in the B12.  They know this.  They're not going to stick around.  

This is all just the posturing leading up to the negotiations and the settlements.  It's playing out exactly the same way as every other school that's left a conference in the past decade.

Nebraska said they're leaving, lots of B12 posturing, lots of threats of lawsuits, lots of talk of huge exit penalties, ultimately Nebraska settles for a fraction of the contractual exit penalty.

Texas A&M said they're leaving, lots of B12 posturing, lots of claims of TI from the B12 about the SEC, Baylor lawyers up and threatens lawsuits, articles are written about the terrible economic impact to the state of Texas if the ags leave, ultimately A&M settles for a fraction of the contractual exit penalty.

And then there was Maryland exiting the ACC.  That one got REALLY nasty.  The ACC actually did sue Maryland.  And Maryland countersued the ACC.  But the end result?  Maryland settles for a bit over half of the contractual exit penalty.  

This is the dance and it's 100% expected.

The one difference is that ESPN and Fox kept the TV contracts the same after the change of members.  Will they do that for 3 years without OU and UT?  If so, UT and OU forfeit one year's revenues, about $40 million each.  If not, then that's when it gets nasty.

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

I'm only posting the full letter because the casual "dear bob," at the beginning is so fucking funny to me.

E7fNAtIXMAMFZTN?format=png&name=medium

There's probably some innuendo there if Bob and Burke are on a first name basis.

"You've done exactly what you're accusing The American of doing, Bob. STFU"

ESPN basically told Bob to put up or shut the fuck up.   Seriously, what bottom tier slap dick midwest law firm did Bowlsby engage to advise him sending that letter and talking to any reporter that would take your call was the right move.  It's embarrassing.

For a moment giving Bob the slimmest benefit of the doubt that he wasn't simply going full Looch and throwing shit against the wall and actually got some piece of intel or evidence from a member school or schools did he even stop to consider that just because they gave him the info doesn't mean they want to publicly be outed as the snitch, which would almost be a requirement to producing any evidence (email, recorded phone call, what have you)

You aren't Woodward and Bernstein here Bob, your implication indicates a school or school that was reached out to would have to be exposed....what a fucking idiot.

Edited by Surly Bevo

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

ESPN basically told Bob to put up or shut the fuck up.   Seriously, what bottom tier slap dick midwest law firm did Bowlsby engage to advise him sending that letter and talking to any reporter that would take your call was the right move.  It's Aggie embarrassing.

fify