Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't think you were the bad guy in the past, but you clearly are here.  The other Big 12 schools have been pretty supportive of Texas and OU since the last round of realignment and it's gotten us absolutely nowhere.  Gun to the head.

It's not the fans fault, and I'm not blaming any posters here obviously, but this shit is old and not one poster here has responded to my question as to why other blue bloods don't act this way.  Because there isn't a good answer; you know I'm right on that.

I just want this over fast.  I'm sure you guys do too.

Because the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must. Welcome to life. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I really hope we keep our non conference schedule as we have it set up now for future years.   I don’t want us to be playing the Tarletons, ACU, UIWs etc like aggy will be doing in future years.  Find away to keep UTSAs and ULs which are up and coming programs on there along with a PAC12, Big10 or ACC and throw in a Mountain West or Conference USA 

Texas isn’t going to be ditching marquee non conference series. Again, this is all about money, and those juice the value of broadcasting rights. Assuming the SEC move to nine games, 7 in division and two cross, I think Texas keeps scheduling one P5(4?) OOC per year with a couple cupcakes.

4 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I'm not saying it couldn't happen but, I was told by a good friend who played for WVU that he was told, by the AD, that WVU was told by the ACC that their fan's behavior would forever keep them out of the ACC.

That would be fucking stupid.  WV would be a decent football program to add and an elite MBB and solid WBB to add to as well.  They're no threat to Clemson's playoff path and the ACC would relish another top 10-15 basketball program. 

However, all of this happening right now if Texas and OU jump to the SEC - ACC will suddenly get over their issue with the fanbase. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, cyatheart said:

Cyclone fan living in Austin here.  For me this is brutal, no Clones in Texas anymore.  Was looking forward to watching them with my sons as they grew up.  Now we will have Tulsa rolling into Ames, can't even watch it here.

I don't blame Texas or OU, not their fault.  (I do hate Nebraska and Aggy though.)  It's really bad for ISU though (and the other orphans).  We did everything we could with the stadium upgrades and increased donations and throwing money at coaches.  The stadium is 65K now and probably was going to 70K, student undergrad is  30K now.   Now our TV revenue probably goes from 40M to like AAC level or like 10M.  (Current AAC is like 7m).  So we can't pay the coach that got us to the top 10 (which is what OU and TX always said we had to do), can't pay the debt off, the enrollment will decline, the local economy gets devastated.  Our best recruiting class ever will all decommit.  Last time this happened it destroyed 2 classes.

We finally got to the top of the heap and had our guy locked up for 5 more years, and now it is over.

For us it can't be worse, this destroys Iowa State, and not just athletics, it destroys everything we struggled to do the last 25 years.    Not blaming anyone here for not realizing this since maybe you don't realize the dynamics in the state, but we will never, ever be in the Big 10.  It's not an option.

It's AAC for us or something like that.  I know you guys will do well in the SEC, will be rooting for the old Big 12 teams (except Aggy).

Y'all need to step of the ledge. CFB has been hurtling towards 4 - 16 team power conferences for awhile. You don't think ISU is a top 64 brand? I do. You'll find a landing spot that's better than the current big12.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ohio State and Michigan would make more $ joining the SEC.  Clemson and Florida State would too.  None of them would remotely entertain the idea.

I bet Ohio State and Michigan might consider the SEC if Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Purdue had already left the Big Ten.

Texas wouldn't be joining the SEC if A&M, Nebraska, Colorado, and Mizzou were still here.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

After sleeping on this, if it happens fucking good.  It will be good for us in more ways than revenue, recruiting, competition.  We will finally be a big fish in a big pond.  If Texas, OU or even any of the other members down the line of a bigger SEC started intimating about striking out on their own, sure the conference would not be thrilled and would work to retain but at the end of the day they would think "yea our future isn't dependent on these one or two teams we will be fine".  Right now all I see is all the little heel nippers who will bite our shins every fucking chance they get (see 2008 for a big example) now bitching and moaning that we finally got sick of that shit.  It requires a mindset change on our end as well, we will now be a valued and important partner no longer the end all be all rock that everybody relies on but shits on every chance they get.  Hopefully we have the right leadership to see that through....I think we do.  

• Hook 'Em 4

Cyclone fan living in Austin here.  For me this is brutal, no Clones in Texas anymore.  Was looking forward to watching them with my sons as they grew up.  Now we will have Tulsa rolling into Ames, can't even watch it here.

I don't blame Texas or OU, not their fault.  (I do hate Nebraska and Aggy though.)  It's really bad for ISU though (and the other orphans).  We did everything we could with the stadium upgrades and increased donations and throwing money at coaches.  The stadium is 65K now and probably was going to 70K, student undergrad is  30K now.   Now our TV revenue probably goes from 40M to like AAC level or like 10M.  (Current AAC is like 7m).  So we can't pay the coach that got us to the top 10 (which is what OU and TX always said we had to do), can't pay the debt off, the enrollment will decline, the local economy gets devastated.  Our best recruiting class ever will all decommit.  Last time this happened it destroyed 2 classes.
We finally got to the top of the heap and had our guy locked up for 5 more years, and now it is over.
For us it can't be worse, this destroys Iowa State, and not just athletics, it destroys everything we struggled to do the last 25 years.    Not blaming anyone here for not realizing this since maybe you don't realize the dynamics in the state, but we will never, ever be in the Big 10.  It's not an option.
It's AAC for us or something like that.  I know you guys will do well in the SEC, will be rooting for the old Big 12 teams (except Aggy).

The silver lining is that it’s happening at the best possible time for y’all. Say the Big Ten counters by trying to add Kansas basketball, probably the most valuable thing left in the B12. Who among the B12 makes more than ISU for that 16th spot?

10 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Abbott would veto any PUF funding bill aggy/tech and other could send up even if they did.  Also aggy has been asking for a 50/50 split for decades and you think they’ll throw away all the arguments they been making for that money on athletics?

Yeah you’re probably right…

Agreed 

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

What is the logic for having Texas and atm in separate pods?

I think the biggest issue for the pod system is what to do with LSU, and this is one way to deal with it and not put LSU in a group that doesn't include any close regional teams.

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The B1G sure is shit isn't going to have the most lucrative TV contract if/when TX and OU join the SEC. You are delusional if you don't think this is going to blow the B1G contract out of the fucking water.

That remains to be seen.  The B1G still has a huge population base.  The other thing is that TV contracts as we know them are likely to change.  We're already seeing the mothership with huge layoffs.  ESPN isn't going to remain the cash cow for conferences that they have been in the past.

It going to be interesting to see how conference realignment part two unfolds and what contracts become with streaming services likely to enter the bidding.

36 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I actually hope the end result of all this is the blue bloods splitting off into their own league. This would allow them to live out their junior NFL fantasy while eliminating the rest of us leaches from the picture so we can continue to play something that more closely resembles college football as we used to know it. Win-win all around.

"I can't wait for my hot, smart, funny, and wealthy girlfriend to leave me so I can get with Fitlump."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I can't wait for my hot, smart, funny, and wealthy girlfriend to leave me so I can get with Fitlump."
Yet another stupid take. It makes no difference what we want. Texas will do what is best for Texas as they should. Just get it over with so we can see where we land.

21 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I laugh at TCU.  If this passes, they just went back to being in an upgraded Mountain West, where they could win out and maybe still not have a shot.  Fuck Gary.  

Yup.  I've got lots of buddies that are rabid TCU fanbois.  I lobbed a few text mails around this morning and it's been crickets in response so far.  I wasn't even pointing and laughing either, just trying to check in on them.

Just now, Okie State said:
2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Yet another stupid take. It makes no difference what we want. Texas will do what is best for Texas as they should. Just get it over with so we can see where we land.

No, you said you couldn't wait for the blue bloods to leave. 

50 minutes ago, troph said:

If Texas is in the west playing arky, A&M, LSU, auburn, Bama on a regular basis I say fuck yeah and don’t look back. Non conference with old SWC/Big 12 foes and call it what it is, the highest possible entertainment value in CFB for the fans.  I’d feel terrible for Iowa state I grew to like them a lot, would miss oSu and assume Baylor and Tech would stay on the schedule.

But will Texas be required to schedule Prairie View for a November OOC scrimmage?

But I have little doubt that Texas and OU could stay put, make a ton of money, have elite recruiting classes, and make the playoffs at a regular clip.  Obviously Prestige Worldwide is what you guys want.  Enjoy.

I understand you are upset and I get it, but this just isn't going to be true anymore with NIL. NIL will completely change the game, and I'm glad to see Texas for once being proactive about navigating the rapidly changing CFB landscape.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Mizzou is a shit program in a shitty part of the country that wants games in Norman and Austin to add to their Texas recruiting. 

Of course.  As far as I can tell, Mizzou's recruiting in Texas took a nose dive after it left the Big XII.  They never blew it up in this state, but usually got some decent talent from Texas (see, e.g., Chase Daniel).  Becoming a conference partner with Texas again is a very good thing for that program.

I don't foresee our OOC scheduling changing. We already moved to a 2 home games against LHN type regional opponents as part of our stock schedule. UTEP and UTSA are those for a while. Then we'll have one OOC left to bring in the big name like Michigan, tOSU, and others. 

32 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

and let's not forget that aggy were the ONLY SCHOOL that stole the Orphan 5 bailout share.  even corn gave up that money.  only aggy took the money, like a fat little veruca salt.

clones need to direct their ire at one school more than any other which caused all of this.

I think most Cyclone fans blame this whole mess on ourselves not going to the Big 10 in the 60s or 70s when it was possible.  In the modern era, I think most of us blame the people at A and M and Nebraska.  Especially Nebraska.

It's not your job to "save" the conference.  But why and the hell couldn't you guys and OU just act like every other blue blood?

Ohio State and Michigan would make more $ joining the SEC.  Clemson and Florida State would too.  None of them would remotely entertain the idea.

Maybe something better will materialize, and whatever comes, we won't be under your sword of Damocles.  Even if it's some quieter, lesser existence, it will be better than a gun to our head 24/7.

Every other blue blood?  No I’ll will toward you or ISU but this is a bad take.

There are only 8 blue bloods

Big 12 - UT/OU, SEC - Bama, B1G - Michigan/Ohio St/Neb, PAC - USC, and ND

USC has been complaining about their conference and TV money with UCLA and Oregon/Washington right behind them.  Just about everyone in the ACC not named Wake Forest has been rumored to be in discussions with the SEC and B1G over the last 30-40 years

Bama, Michigan, and Ohio St haven’t been involved in conference realignment. So only the 3 that are already in the biggest, most successful/prestigious conferences that print money.  And you are shocked by this? UM/tOSU get PSU/MSU/Wisc/Neb at home on the reg.  Our biggest home game this year is Oklahoma State which would be a good home game, but it’s shouldn’t be our best.

The former Big 12 would have been fine but the new ones and the dumb 9 game schedule play everyone twice is not working out.  Rotating in the Kansas schools on our fb schedule every year has been lucrative for them but not for us.

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I don't foresee our OOC scheduling changing. We already moved to a 2 home games against LHN type regional opponents as part of our stock schedule. UTEP and UTSA are those for a while. Then we'll have one OOC left to bring in the big name like Michigan, tOSU, and others. 

We should just fuck with the teams we are leaving behind and just schedule schools around/near them, but never them.

Tech - UTEP, New Mexico, New Mexico State
TCU - SMU
Baylor - UTSA
Iowa State - UNI
Kansas/Kansas State - Creighton
OK State - Tulsa

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Yup.  I've got lots of buddies that are rabid TCU fanbois.  I lobbed a few text mails around this morning and it's been crickets in response so far.  I wasn't even pointing and laughing either, just trying to check in on them.

The Southland is looking for teams!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This is true.  Iowa State has never been more marketable in my lifetime. 

Correct, but there is nowhere to go.  It's nobody's fault, it's just the reality of the situation.  The reason we are marketable at all is due to TX and OU (and others in the past) gravy train that after years of struggle we finally got the right people in place to compete.  But there just isn't anywhere to land that allows ISU to stay at this level.  

• Hook 'Em 1

@Al_4_ISU  @'stache  @Okie State and any of the fans of other teams:

I asked earlier but it got buried: can you please cite recent examples of what makes Texas a bad conference partner?  I've heard the stories about the formation of the Big 12 and obviously the LHN put a target on our back, but what have we done (as fans/university/whatever) over the past decade to validate the label that we have to hear about every time our name is brought up?  What do we do specifically to make the Big 12 biased towards us?

This is a genuine question., no snark.