Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

3 minutes ago, jinx said:

At least he got the flagship part right. I remember all of the transparency of the Aggie move so well.

The replies are outstanding to Leach's tweet. Then you have Billy Liucci dive bombing every twitter feed he can find with "Big 12 sucks. Texas is admitting Big 12 is inferior and a dumpster fire." 

bill murray GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Who knew the University of Texas was a much cooler setting for the movie.

And he gave us this gem: "Reynolds was quoted as saying that "Kevin Costner should only star in movies he directs. That way, he can work with his favorite actor and favorite director". 

1 minute ago, MillerEP said:

From Facebook:

May be an image of text that says 'I texted him, saying "I bet your phone's blowing up". He responded and said the SEC and TX/OU have been talking for a while. He said today's leak was A&M's attempt to kill UT's addition. In short, they've spent weeks trying to get support to oppose, but the financial numbers are so big, there aren't enough votes to kill it. So this was A&M's petty, last ditch effort to kill it by leaking it and hoping the TX or OK legislatures are able to end the move. If either doesn't kill it, the move is going to happen.'

Ahhh yes, random FB poster news szn

That said, seems pretty clear this was an Aggy leak to try to kill it. The Chron reporter breaking it covers A&M and on the same day their AD just happened to be at SEC Media Day ready to oppose this, despite no other schools' ADs showing up all week.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexasBeta said:

If it does go down.. I will never watch his show.. ever.. He's an ass. On the SECRANT boards they are all up in arms about Texas and our gameday program on LHN. It would be great if we could keep that.. I don't like it but ... just a finger in the farmers eye is all I ask for. 

You underestimate the amount of nut sucking he will have for Texas the instant they are in the SEC.

Plus real Texas fans will be able to call into his show with a fake hillbilly accent like all his other fake callers.

2 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

FUCK the Pac 12, would be the dumbest choice of all; those pricks might not even play football again this year or if they do might not have fans. Big 10 only if Delaney steps down. But in the end, nothing will happen.

You might want to take a seat because a lot has happened in a year. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, cyatheart said:

100% correct, the writing has been on the wall.  Could not agree more.  That's why ISU built up the stadium, paying our coach 5M, paying assistants 1M.  I mean they built a top ten team the last two years and won the Fiesta Bowl.  Not much more you can do.  Again, I don't think it is anybody's fault, Texas is doing what they should do.  Texas has no responsibility to any university other than themselves.  There is only so much you can do.  It's just reality of being a smaller market team smacking us in the face finally.  But again, the issue that kills us is, so many really crappy teams that did nothing, did not try to compete, and are riding coat tails in EVERY SINGLE CONFERNECE....those teams are in and we are going to be out. 

I am yelling at the wind here.  I get it, nobody cares, I am going through he mourning process for my Cyclones here today, but I live in Austin.  And have come to really like the Longhorns over the years.  And it's a huge bummer.

giphy.gif

You can be a Longhorn and Cyclones fan

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Ahhh yes, random FB poster news szn

That said, seems pretty clear this was an Aggy leak to try to kill it. The Chron reporter breaking it covers A&M and on the same day their AD just happened to be at SEC Media Day ready to oppose this, despite no other schools' ADs showing up all week.

On top of that I believe Bjork was the only AD to make an appearance at SEC media days. It was 1000% a last ditch effort to stop the move. Pathetic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Football can remain national with marquee OOC matchups. I'm a Pac 12 fan but that is not going to get a high profile recruit to come to Texas over Alabama, LSU, and even aggy. They want to play in the best conference that puts you in the NFL. That's not the Pac 12. They are not relevant in football. Sure, us and OU could go and make that happen or we would just further the gap between us and the SEC teams. 

I loved the Ole Miss road game. But it’s very inconvenient to get there. With cancelled DFW flights, we rented a car from ABIA and drove to Houston, then Memphis, then Oxford, where there are no hotel rooms and stayed at a friend of a friends. Give me Phoenix, LA, SLC, and Denver. You know, Civilization.

Upgrading the Pac-12 with Texas and OU would be best for college football. Bring Tech and Lite with us.

Pac12 East would be mountain and central time. You’d have 1 pacific road game a year.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

But you know that was Texas driven and the others were to make it make sense regionally and get past any objections. Come on. 

Nope. Every single conference realized that super conferences were the future and every single school knew that something g would need to be done. So Texas and OU taking the lead to explore options is exactly what should happen. You can’t blame conference leaders for acting like leaders. That’s ridiculous. 

5 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

I loved the Ole Miss road game. But it’s very inconvenient to get there. With cancelled DFW flights, we rented a car from ABIA and drove to Houston, then Memphis, then Oxford, where there are no hotel rooms and stayed at a friend of a friends. Give me Phoenix, LA, SLC, and Denver. You know, Civilization.

Upgrading the Pac-12 with Texas and OU would be best for college football. Bring Tech and Lite with us.

Pac12 East would be mountain and central time. You’d have 1 pacific road game a year.

Your ease of getting to an away game is not why UT would look at moving conferences. It's about money and power and the Pac 12 has neither. 

You PAC people are more worried about vacations. I’m not excited about playing any team in the PAC, except USC. Nothing else really moves the needle

Unfortunately this is true now. Wasn’t so much a couple years ago when we almost bolted for the pac. Bummer though. I don’t care for the SEC. can’t help but think out gross ineptitude over the last decade helped cause this.

Just now, Dbeasy said:

Nope. Every single conference realized that super conferences were the future and every single school knew that something g would need to be done. So Texas and OU taking the lead to explore options is exactly what should happen. You can’t blame conference leaders for acting like leaders. That’s ridiculous. 

Yeah, it's clear with playoff expansion coming that four superconferences is the future.  So, either the Big 12 or the ACC will get ripped apart.  We can sit around and argue that it ought to be the ACC and not the Big 12, or we can be proactive and choose to be the first domino.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

You PAC people are more worried about vacations. I’m not excited about playing any team in the PAC, except USC. Nothing else really moves the needle

No shit  I can take a long weekend in Pac 12 country anytime.  It's not worth that one awesome road trip to see a game at U Dub to be tied with that conference for several years.

• Hook 'Em 1

TX/OU banding together here is a pretty strong move bc they're really the kingmakers in the whole future superconference setup. ND is the only other big potential free agent out there and they'd only be ACC or Big 10. SEC has more to lose by saying no than casual fans probably realize. 

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

No shit  I can take a long weekend in Pac 12 country anytime.  It's not worth that one awesome road trip to see a game at U Dub to be tied with that conference for several years.

It is also a pretty damn good recruiting ground. Remember a dude named Ricky? 

If this is going to happen, it needs to happen right.  

Four pods or two divisions with “implicit” pods   

Pods:

West 1
Texas
OU
Missouri
Miss St.

West 2
A&M
LSU
Ark
Ole Miss

East 1
Auburn
Florida
South Carolina
Vandy

East 2
Alabama
Georgia
Kentucky
Tennessee

You play your pod, a rival in other pod on your side of conference (should be obvious above other then Kentucky/South Carolina), one other team from same side pod and one whole pod from other side each year, rotating. 

That’s 9 games, three non cons, an SEC semis and finals and then playoff.  Profit!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Vacations, academics, and cultural fit (not that it's really a fit either, but very different from the slimy/backwards SEC). Also an easier schedule.

SEC is the obvious choice for $$, recruiting and likely overall relevance (assuming we can win)

I can see both sides tbh

Edited by Tex-19

Someone explain to me how  the aggie "get the legislature to stop this" strategy  is supposed to work?   Which one of these is supposed to happen?

1.  Let the state congress to pass a law making it illegal  for UT to go to SEC,  even though ATM did just that and get the governor, a UT grad, to sign that law ?   

2.  Get the legislature to take away UT's funding in order to protect 2 private school's athletic programs?   Really?  And even if this were to occur, how long do they suppose that will remain in place?   If I was UT admin and was threatened with this, I would call their bluff, announce a  tuition system-wide tuition hike of  100% titled the "Protect Baylor, TCU and ATM Tuition Hike" and watch that get reversed in days. 

3.  If UT is going, Okies state government is not going to prevent OU from going.  Period.

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

You think Alabama doesn't reach into the West Coast to grab recruits like Bryce Young? We got a CA recruit coming in without playing a game in CA. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

You may be right with regards to what's best for cfb, but it's just not Texas' responsibility to prop up college football or any other program. The SEC move is the best move for Texas.

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I don't think an SEC move does anything to hurt West Coast recruiting, and probably helps. Austin and the University of Texas sure makes a lot sense for a recruit from SoCal who wants to play in the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Vacations, academics, and cultural fit (not that it's really a fit either, but very different from the slimy/backwards SEC). Also an easier schedule.

SEC is the obvious choice for $$, recruiting and likely overall relevance (assuming we can win)

I can see both sides tbh

There is only one side if you truly care about football. Arguing for the PAC is stupid. SEC has better baseball programs, just as good of quality basketball programs, just as good quality softball programs, volleyball programs are slightly worse but defending national champ is Kentucky. 

Arguing for the PAC, arguably a worse conference than big 12 with more members is once again stupid.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Someone explain to me how  the aggie "get the legislature to stop this" strategy  is supposed to work?   Which one of these is supposed to happen?

1.  Let the state congress to pass a law making it illegal  for UT to go to SEC,  even though ATM did just that and get the governor, a UT grad, to sign that law ?   

2.  Get the legislature to take away UT's funding in order to protect 2 private school's athletic programs?   Really?  And even if this were to occur, how long do they suppose that will remain in place?   If I was UT admin and was threatened with this, I would call their bluff, announce a  tuition system-wide tuition hike of  100% titled the "Protect Baylor, TCU and ATM Tuition Hike" and watch that get reversed in days. 

3.  If UT is going, Okies state government is not going to prevent OU from going.  Period.

Aggy is relying on all the other Texas schools to intercede and not just them.  

Edited by Mdhorn

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, it's clear with playoff expansion coming that four superconferences is the future.  So, either the Big 12 or the ACC will get ripped apart.  We can sit around and argue that it ought to be the ACC and not the Big 12, or we can be proactive and choose to be the first domino.

The ACC has double the playoff appearances (8) as the Big 12 and 3x as many participants (3) (yes, you have to count 2020 ND as part of the ACC).  So yeah, the Big 12 was the more natural target to rip apart - both based on results and geography. 

It's easy for the ACC to grab WV (if ND won't budge) and the B1G to pull from the Kansas schools/Iowa State to hit 16 (or WV if ND jumps to the ACC first).  Our central location means the Pac 12 can expand their territory to hit 16. 

12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

i'm worried about recruits.  they don't want to play on the West Coast.  they want to play in the SEC.

• Like 1