Things not going well for James Franklin

Parliament

He seems like such an upstanding good guy and not a total piece of shit. 

From 2014

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/10858666/james-franklin-contacted-alleged-rape-victim-vanderbilt-commodores

In the filing, the defense says Franklin and strength coach Dwight Galt -- who left Vanderbilt for the same jobs at Penn State this winter -- talked to the accuser during a medical examination four days after the rape.

Franklin and Galt told the woman "that they cared about her because she assisted them with recruiting," according to the filing. Later, the defense said, "Coach Franklin called her in for a private meeting and told her he wanted her to get 15 pretty girls together and form a team to assist with the recruiting even though he knew it was against the rules."

According to The Tennessean, Franklin "added that all the other colleges did it."

5 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

There's probably no greater recruiting killer than a finding that you were pressing your team doctor to clear injured players.  To the players, that's about the worst thing a coach can do.  It shows he's not concerned with you at all.   He's got to leave if this proves true. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I always kinda got a douchebag vibe from James Franklin but couldn’t quite put my thumb on it. For some reason this doesn’t surprise me.

He dropped a pretty big hint when he admitted in an interview that he looks at how hot assistant coaches' wives are when making hiring decisions. (Reflects on their recruiting/closing abilities) 

Not necessarily against this in theory, but it takes a douchebag to boast about it in an interview.

• Like 1

This year is critical for Penn State's recruiting going forward (more so than each season is for every school). They've been taking a ton of backup plans for 2020, and they'll miss out on top in state recruits (and ones from NJ, MD, VA, DC) to Bama, tOSU, Clemson, etc. again in 2021 if they go 9-3 or worse. I think Franklin will be able to deflect this on the recruiting trail without much of a negative effect. 

4 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

There's probably no greater recruiting killer than a finding that you were pressing your team doctor to clear injured players. 

Apparently, raping little boys wasn't enough to kill recruiting. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

It still makes me cringe when I’m with someone who says they went to Penn State.

Part of the collateral damage...but it’s there.

When we were hiring a few years ago, I personally blackballed an applicant who had a PSU degree and I still feel OK about it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

When we were hiring a few years ago, I personally blackballed an applicant who had a PSU degree and I still feel OK about it. 

So you prevented someone, that more than likely is disgusted by what happened, from getting a job because members of the administration and athletic staff at that school were pieces of shit and you like to hold a grudge against the school for it? You seem like a pretty level headed person outside of this so I’m going to assume that they were otherwise unqualified for the job and you just like to claim that this is the reason they  were cut from the running. If not, you’re a piece of shit. But no doubt you’ll get plenty of pats on the back for it in here. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, heso said:

So you prevented someone, that more than likely is disgusted by what happened, from getting a job because members of the administration and athletic staff at that school were pieces of shit and you like to hold a grudge against the school for it? You seem like a pretty level headed person outside of this so I’m going to assume that they were otherwise unqualified for the job and you just like to claim that this is the reason they  were cut from the running. If not, you’re a piece of shit. But no doubt you’ll get plenty of pats on the back for it in here. 

Yeah, this is horrible management behavior, but it's also a great example of the collateral damage that can result from such a massive tragedy. Like I'm sure a lot of people will never eat at Subway again regardless of the chain's behavior or quality post-Jared. And if Beau Vine is a POS, which I kind of doubt, then that applicant is better off not working there.

I can actually understand his sentiment more than the tOSU and Pitt fans trying to propagate anti-PSU threads on a Texas board year after year. So many links to the derpiest of PSU boards, or toothless "scandals" like the one to start this thread.

But since we're here, I think PSU loses at least 3 games this year, and Franklin will skate into a lower pressure job rather than keep treading water as the 3rd-5th best team in the league.

I guess not many people here had the misfortune of running into groups of Penn State fans after what came out in Happy Valley with Paterno, or in the following years. I had the misfortune on several occasions. To a person they were all in denial, and as time went on more and more of them that I've encountered have dismissed it entirely and gone back to canonizing a child rape enabling Joe Paterno. If you bring it up, they get real aggressive. Which suits me fine. 

I haven't yet, NOT ONCE, met a Baylor alum that has shown any embarrassment, contrition, or even acceptance of any wrongdoing that takes place at Baylor. Not even the women, although I'm sure there are PLENTY of women that do feel that way, considering that statistically there's a great chance many of them were victims of a culture designed to marginalize and attack women. But I haven't met one yet, and I live and work in Houston and I run into a lot of them. 

I can pick an aggy out of a a crowd at 50 paces, and aggy jokes exist for a reason. If you don't think that there are consistent traits that more often than not exist across different people because of a common cultural environment, then I don't know what the fuck to tell you. Maybe stop by the Zach Smith thread and ask Parliament to tell you how he feels about Courtney Smith. 

What I do know, is that if I have two candidates for a position and they are both similarly qualified, guess what, I'm going to err on the side of caution and hire the one that doesn't have ties to a fucking amoral institution that willingly and repeatedly allows innocent people to be victimized, and specifically raped. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2