Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Polls again.

I respect your perspective, but this election itself( local vs national) supports that many in the GOP didn't align with Trump.  People who initially supported him in 2016  had had enough of the same bullshit that his  opponents  and enemies disdained.

He got a higher share of the Republican vote this year than in 2016. 

Of course, it’s more complicated than that. He helped push a lot of people out of the party too, so what was left was more likely to support him. And I haven’t seen good numbers on this yet, but I imagine the undecided vote broke for Biden.

I think the idea that Trump was never the GOP is in some respects obvious and in some respects completely wrong. Did he do what he does with everything else, meaning did he come along and slap his name on a thing that many other people spent literally decades building? Absolutely. But he was also more responsible than anyone else for spreading birtherism. He recognized what appealed to GOP voters and gave them what they wanted. He didn’t change the GOP because it was always this, he just turned up the volume.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, slorch said:

Polls again.

I respect your perspective, but this election itself( local vs national) supports that many in the GOP didn't align with Trump.  People who initially supported him in 2016  had had enough of the same bullshit that his  opponents  and enemies disdained.  Hell, even in Cornyn polled better than Trump in Texas, and he had an actual viable opponent.  It was far from the exception.

Fair enough.  I'll be surprised if the 2024 GOP nominee isn't a more polished, less unhinged version of Trump, still pushing conspiracies, white nationalism, isolationism, and things that appeal to Trump's base.  A Tucker Carlson type, if not Tucker himself who apparently has been encouraged already by some to run.

Fair enough.  I'll be surprised if the 2024 GOP nominee isn't a more polished, less unhinged version of Trump, still pushing conspiracies, white nationalism, isolationism, and things that appeal to Trump's base.  A Tucker Carlson type, if not Tucker himself who apparently has been encouraged already by some to run.

Tom Cotton

What makes anyone think that Trump can successfully run a media company? 
Is he just going to license his name and let adults run it for him?
It'll be like an athlete's restaurant. He'll get to run around, acting like a big shot, showing his ass, but it will be run by other people. The question is, if he couldn't find competent people to help him run the country, how's the sack of damaged goods going to find competent people to run a media outlet. I predict it fails miserably.

57 minutes ago, Tom said:

I was watching Kornacki this morning deep dive into PA and WI numbers, and 2 things jumped out:   Gary Johnson voters seem to have flipped to Biden as Trump numbers held and Johnson’s ~3% went to Biden in the counties he pulled up.  And Hilary’s total votes weren’t too far off Obama in 2012. But Trump got like 33% more votes than Romney in a lot of those counties.   So Trump engaged a voter that Romney, McCain were never able to.  I think we know which one.  

So questions are: (1) Does this mean a Trumpist is destined to win 2024 GOP nomination? And (2) if a more standard/socially moderate GOP candidate wins GOP nomination would the Trump voter not show up in November 2024?

Edited by A-Tex Devil

1 hour ago, Tom said:

This. Trump mostly just accelerated  where the Republican party was going anyway, in part at least - the racism, xenophobia, authoritarianism - and said the quiet parts out loud. You can make the argument that he didn't represent the party on economic issues - fiscal conservatism, trade - but you can also make the argument that the party was never really serious about those issues anyway, judging by the record, i.e., what they actually did when they were in power with respect to fiscal management. They only care about the deficit when a D is in office; they're about to rediscover their misplaced fear of government debt, just watch. Lots of Rs went along with Trump because he represented the base - that is, the baser impulses of the so-called conservative movement, as well as in the political sense of 'base.'

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

This. Trump mostly just accelerated  where the Republican party was going anyway, in part at least - the racism, xenophobia, authoritarianism - and said the quiet parts out loud. You can make the argument that he didn't represent the party on economic issues - fiscal conservatism, trade - but you can also make the argument that the party was never really serious about those issues anyway, judging by the record, i.e., what they actually did when they were in power with respect to fiscal management. They only care about the deficit when a D is in office; they're about to rediscover their misplaced fear of government debt, just watch. Lots of Rs went along with Trump because he represented the base - that is, the baser impulses of the so-called conservative movement, as well as in the political sense of 'base.'

The departure from those values you describe the party leaving before Trump is spot on.  Even 43 faced some pushback for not abiding by traditional fiscal conservatism. 

As for the racism/ xynophobia horseshit, that’s just namecalling and button punching.  Whatever..

I'm not AB old, but I'm old and I first started following Joe Biden during the run up to his first Presidential campaign in 1988 (and it was a disaster). But watching his interviews and biographies, I learned he was a good man when you got down to it. He had a soul. He was consistently one of the least wealthy Senators. After his wife and daughter were killed in a car wreck, he rode Amtrack home to Delaware every fucking night. Is he perfect? No. But he's a good man and we need a good man right fucking now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

He is. Because it’s an uncomfortable truth to acknowledge. 

Indeed.  Pandering and perpetual dependency are the hallmarks of Democratic Party concern with minorities.

What's not to like?

How dare anyone respect our country's borders and expect folks to carry their own weight?   I mean that shit is just off the chain...and focused on minorities only...

37 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Wait - are you denying it’s a thing? It was a huge part of the brand.

They were damned sure hallmarks of the comments of detractors.  Complete agreement here.

It's easy street, when there's so much more substance to glean.

Edited by slorch

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

They were damned sure hallmarks of the comments of detractors.  Complete agreement here.

It's easy street, when there's so much more substance to glean.

Stephen Miller

Steve Bannon

Come on Slorch. They weren't his top two advisers in 2016 for decorating.

• Hook 'Em 2

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, what's to stop the orange cheeto going scorched earth on the way out the door ?
what's to stop stephen miller burning down the immigration system ?

Not a lot. We’re on a dangerous phase now.

Well, that still might make him the kindest person in the admin, so....yeah.

2 hours ago, pacman said:

Stephen Miller

Steve Bannon

Come on Slorch. They weren't his top two advisers in 2016 for decorating.

I've tried for like 10 years to connect with this dude. his head is too far in the sand man. its sad and hilarious, but I do give him some respect for at least being here and trying

2020 america - shouting down racism makes you an intolerant asshole. 

looking forward to 2021

• Like 1

I've tried for like 10 years to connect with this dude. his head is too far in the sand man. its sad and hilarious, but I do give him some respect for at least being here and trying
2020 america - shouting down racism makes you an intolerant asshole. 
looking forward to 2021

They will all have the same take, they were just drunk, but now that they have sobered up, we need to listen to them about fiscal responsibility.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought she was exaggerating but my MIL has basically cut off the outside world and is acting like a mourning widow. We are celebrating my wife’s (her ONLY daughter) birthday tonight and she told us she was too upset to join.

Me:
24fd0f1c1a3ae0d8575c8cac5809378a.jpg
Ah, shit.... I just realized I'm going to my in-laws tomorrow and they are going to talk about this shit non-stop.

One of my best friends is in the hospital, dying (non-covid) and I'm going to listen to "Trump is stupid / Kamala is the greatest a car" talk all fucking day.

I mean... I'm glad we the people chose decency and a woman VP, but I do t want to hear it all fucking day.