Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The problem is that cable news needed a lot of filler throughout the day, and elevated local stories to "national news", and presented opinions as news, which is still with us today.  It helped to instill fear, anger, etc. into people, even if that was not originally the intent (I'd argue it is the intent for many of the true crime shows today).

For me, as a kid, the Adam Walsh murder, the Halloween candy scares, the Tylenol stuff, these were all very isolated incidents that were blown into these huge stories that scared a lot of people, who had no reason to be scared.  From the time of the Walsh murder on, you have a shitload of parents to this day (and many who weren't alive, even as kids, when Walsh was murdered), who are scared their kids will be kidnapped if they leave them alone, even though the stats say complete strangers kidnapping kids is extremely rare (arguably even more rare in today's age of smart phones and cameras everywhere).  Instead, it's going to be a noncustodial parent or an acquaintance more often than not.

Once we began taking stories that affected few people, and blew them up through cable news, and personalities started developing who presented their opinions as facts, well that was the proverbial barn door being thrown wide open.  That led directly to Fox News.

To that end. https://www.niemanlab.org/2020/12/defund-the-crime-beat/

“Let’s be honest: Crime coverage is terrible. It’s racist, classist, fear-based clickbait masking as journalism.”

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

LOL, not sure which thread it should be in, but enjoy the butthurt.

I can still be surprised I guess. I thought at the end of that video there would be a call to action from Trump. A pathetic appeal to Congressmen, a message to the Supreme Court, something. Not even a “do something”. It was literally like he read 3 Texags posts out loud and that’s it. He doesn’t even suggest that there is a path to keeping the WH. Lol. 

20 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

I can still be surprised I guess. I thought at the end of that video there would be a call to action from Trump. A pathetic appeal to Congressmen, a message to the Supreme Court, something. Not even a “do something”. It was literally like he read 3 Texags posts out loud and that’s it. He doesn’t even suggest that there is a path to keeping the WH. Lol. 

Gotta keep it open-ended if you are fundraising.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RPM said:

I still haven't cracked the wax on the bottle of Maker's Mark 46 yet. I'm waiting for the inauguration just to be safe. Don't want to jinx this.

Go ahead and crack that 46 for Christmas then go get a much better bottle of Makers Private Select or Weller Special Reserve for the 20th

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Go ahead and crack that 46 for Christmas then go get a much better bottle of Makers Private Select or Weller Special Reserve for the 20th

I’m gonna destroy a whole Pappy vertical.  Will have a few buddies sign the dated bottles and it will be a great memory.  If he ever has a statue put up, I’ll piss in one of those bottles and smash it on said travesty.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Irieguy said:

God willing.

6 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Just read a whole string of comments bitching about the USPS being completely overwhelmed by packages this Christmas with most of them referencing fake ballots and what not. Hey morons, your fucking guy did this!

I wouldn't put it past some of them.  

Spoiler

do you have any link to something? That would be out of character for the religious right supporting trump. if the the christian right and trump have split or are splitting, . . . wow

Fuck the poor, part 174378537964:

"
A new regulation rolled out in the final days of the Trump administration will allow restaurants to pull tips from their waitstaff to pay cooks in the back, putting more cash in the pockets of ownership while forcing front-of-the-house staff to do more work for less money.
"

https://www.businessinsider.com/restaurants-can-take-now-take-more-of-thier-workers-tips-2020-12

30 minutes ago, elfenix said:

A new regulation rolled out in the final days of the Trump administration will allow restaurants to pull tips from their waitstaff to pay cooks in the back, putting more cash in the pockets of ownership while forcing front-of-the-house staff to do more work for less money.
https://www.businessinsider.com/restaurants-can-take-now-take-more-of-thier-workers-tips-2020-12

That's not okay. Completely different pay-structure. 

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

"
"

This is fine and good actually because waiters are scum who don’t declare their tips #JohnnySack.

I kind of wish that whole system would go away. Living wages for all restaurant employees. Yes, some shitty restaurants would close, some cheapasses would have to eat at home more, and some bad waiters would be out of work, but once again, this is American exceptionalism that isn't so exceptional IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

State Dept.: "Mr. President.  After Cambodia, you should really change your remark to Myanmar, not Burma."  

Trump: "It'll always be Burma to me."

State Dept.: "Why Burma?" 

Trump:  "Why indeed?"  

hangs up phone on resolute desk, looks outside towards the Rose Garden

Trump:  "You there on the motobike, sell me one of your melons!"  

----------------

If that exchange happened, I wouldn't be any more shocked than I already am about this week. 

(3:50 mark)  "Or else the next administration will have to deliver a Covid relief package.  And maybe that administration will be me.  And we will get it done."   All I could think of was Dean Wormer, "It's time for someone to put their foot down.  And that foot is me."  

Edited by Lobo

I'm guessing every single Trump-appointed EOP employee will conveniently miss their 'Ethics Debriefing' because they were too busy cleaning the microwaves.  

"That's alright, Mr. Kushner.  We can push it to tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?  Ooof, that's gonna be tough.  I'm cleaning out the refrigerator all day tomorrow.  Lot of salmon, if you know what I mean."  

Edited by Lobo

Friend of the family graduated from U. of Chicago with an economics degree in the last year or so (I lose track). Anyway, her junior year, she interned at the White House. We all assumed she'd have interesting stories to tell. Not so much. Just another shitty office job. I'm guessing most of the folk packing their shit in the next week or so are going to be more than happy to get the hell out of there.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

All the Trumpers have posted their outrage on Facebook about the foreign aid vs stimulus check, all while not realizing that the people they voted for are the reason for it. Such morons.

I'm seeing an explosion of angry furrowed brows and BOTH SIDES!

2 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

My trumper friends have been really quiet over the past several weeks. A few complaints here and there but in general I think they have accepted the outcome of the election.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

They’re plotting against you....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

My trumper friends have been really quiet over the past several weeks. A few complaints here and there but in general I think they have accepted the outcome of the election.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

They're just bitching about being left out of CFP instead.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Only time you worry about a Trumper, is when he quits bitching. 

Most of the Trumpster friends on my time line have gone to posting what they're baking for Christmas or just being silent.  The "it's a fraud!" folks seem to have hit peak crazy about two weeks after the election.  At least that's how it is in my world.