Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I am growing more concerned at the lack of seriousness that many people are approaching this with, even at this point.  I am talking very highly educated people who should know better.  Mostly lawyers actually, so maybe check that. Family vacations over spring break to Disney, and the Caribbean, etc. Plunging right ahead. Most of the medical professionals I interact with are locking things down, but seems like we are in for a world of shit. 

Meanwhile on Texags

annie88 said:
Jet Black said:

Doesn't fit the mass hysteria narrative. Ignore.

This. And when the mass death panic didn't work, they quickly moved the goal post to the US health care system cannot handle it if socialized healthcare systems can't.

Posting positive stuff like this just sends the panic patrol out into the twitter verse to find anything else they can throw out there.

This virus has not changed. The panic around it has. It's seeped into corporations and organizations minds now to go into CYA mode.

Update on Mrs CL. She didn't like it but I put my foot down and told her that we needed to come home, where we are now after the 6 hour drive up from South Padre. 

She isn't happy at all about ending her vacation early, but her parents both convinced her earlier this afternoon that it was probably the right thing to do rather than check in to a hotel with other guests from who knows where and possibly bring the virus home with her ahead of schedule. She's slowly getting less mad about it, but I'll be the target of some ire for a few days I am sure. 

All that being said, I do think it was the right thing to do. This is about to get real bad real fast and the best thing anyone can do is hunker down and try to avoid contact with as many people as possible, including masses of strangers in a hotels and tourist attractions. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Update on Mrs CL. She didn't like it but I put my foot down and told her that we needed to come home, where we are now after the 6 hour drive up from South Padre. 

She isn't happy at all about ending her vacation early, but her parents both convinced her earlier this afternoon that it was probably the right thing to do rather than check in to a hotel with other guests from who knows where and possibly bring the virus home with her ahead of schedule. She's slowly getting less mad about it, but I'll be the target of some ire for a few days I am sure. 

All that being said, I do think it was the right thing to do. This is about to get real bad real fast and the best thing anyone can do is hunker down and try to avoid contact with as many people as possible, including masses of strangers in a hotels and tourist attractions. 

If you'd stayed and she got it, she'd have been mad at you, too. "Why didn't you tell me how serious this was!!!" 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RayDog said:

He is also ending travel of people from countries with community transmission,  which ends most foreign travel. So I am stuck here for the duration. My calculation is that there will be 10 million cases in metro Manila in 4 to 5 weeks with illnesses peaking there a couple weeks after. Angeles won't be far behind. I just got a DM from my most recent ex asking about treating a fever. I will tell her don't,  since that is how the body fights off a virus.

I have not gone out the past two nights but I am not changing my habits yet. I still go out to eat breakfast and dinner with my best friend  here. I am resigned to getting it and hope I survive.

hello from some thousands of miles south of you. yeah same boat of emotions for me. just keeping my wife a bit more careful and home as she gets the bronch easily, chest colds and shit. 

the reality is this shit is always around and we have tons of instances that go unnoticed. this one is just designed a bit better to transmit and cause damage. just gotta wait it out. sleep, exercise, don't drink much at all, eat ok and maintain good mental health. and unfortunately don't hang out with too many people but what ya gonna do. play some video games and do some work here and there

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I am growing more concerned at the lack of seriousness that many people are approaching this with, even at this point.  I am talking very highly educated people who should know better.  Mostly lawyers actually, so maybe check that. Family vacations over spring break to Disney, and the Caribbean, etc. Plunging right ahead. Most of the medical professionals I interact with are locking things down, but seems like we are in for a world of shit. 

It's almost like the leader of our country has been downplaying it for weeks, and we are seeing the effect of that effort. People are just listening to the highest authority, and earlier this week he said nothing was going to change and the economy would be fine. 

Reasonable people have a reasonable reason to be laissez faire. That's definitely part of the problem. 

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

It's almost like the leader of our country has been downplaying it for weeks, and we are seeing the effect of that effort. People are just listening to the highest authority, and earlier this week he said nothing was going to change and the economy would be fine. 

Reasonable people have a reasonable reason to be laissez faire. That's definitely part of the problem. 

“It will never affect me” is the american motto until it does, in fact, affect you 

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

We've scaled back plans. I cancelled the Puerto Rico trip. We are currently booked into the JW Hill Country, but depending on how things look monday we may just drive out to west Texas Sarah Connor style.

Yeah, we were looking at maybe some college visits in Colorado.....but I kept pushing back against booking anything.  The wife is grumpily resigned to the fact that we aren't going anywhere soon.  I told her that if we want to find a not-very-popular park in the sticks and go hiking and such, we can do that.  Outdoors, away from crowds.  Sorry, it sucks, but that's life.

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I’m currently engaging in a pointless conversation with a former coworker analytical chemist who keeps stating on social media that this is all being overblown by the media. She better hope she’s right, because she has 2 older parents and a young nephew who is an organ transplant recipient and I imagine that doesn’t help. 

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, we were looking at maybe some college visits in Colorado.....but I kept pushing back against booking anything.  The wife is grumpily resigned to the fact that we aren't going anywhere soon.  I told her that if we want to find a not-very-popular park in the sticks and go hiking and such, we can do that.  Outdoors, away from crowds.  Sorry, it sucks, but that's life.

Terlingua just had its first case today  (jk)

BTW, why do people create shit like the screenshot Greenspoint posted? Is it the thrill?

Edited by Bevo

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Terlingua just had its first case today  (jk)

BTW, why do people create shit like the screenshot Greenspoint posted? Is it the thrill?

That quarantine described in the text is what China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, and SK did and its working. 

But I still think that text is bogus. 

Yes, my ex has a 100.4 degree fever. I last saw her on Monday (but no boom-boom) so she had probably been infected then. She works in a bar and all her friends work  in bars so if she has the coronavirus it is already everywhere here.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I think DFW has something like 8 or so confirmed cases.  Frisco 3-4, Ft. Worth 1-2, Dallas 3.  We're on Spring Break this week.  I don't want to be out of school; however, I'm cool with whatever is decided.  

Whew, I have to go to Richardson this weekend, glad to hear no confirmed cases there. LoI I like to look for the bright side of things. I believe the virus will actually save more people than it will kill. Texas averages around 300 auto deaths a month, so with fewer people driving that number has to go down a bit.

11 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yes, yes, fuck you, yes, and maybe. 

yeah man the no drinking thing is rough. i did not follow that last night, fortunately then and unfortunately now. 

maybe i will just shift to rain water and pure grain alcohol 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

I cancelled my trip to Port A next week. When I called the homeaway people, I asked if it was too late to cancel my reservation. "Oh no, you can still cancel."

"Oh yeah? That's good."

"You can't get any of your money refunded though".

"Then why the hell would I give a shit if I can cancel or not?"

So they can keep your money and rent it to someone else. They're the ones who give a shit you dumbass.

4 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

That quarantine described in the text is what China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, and SK did and its working. 

But I still think that text is bogus. 

I could find out from my dad, but it isn't worth the time. I already know it is bs. Plus, I live in Austin and I'll see him next week in Seadrift.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

spacer.png

maintains social distancing, and any fluids are going to result from serious injury to one or more limbs, so cv will be far down the list of worries.  

Also this maintains social distancing between athletes   

spacer.png

Shit, be creative. World's Strongest Man... With Coronavirus!

Surefire hit, I tell you. 

Brother in law’s wife who pilots for a major freight company just got back from her East Asian route:

“Several people have asked “what it’s like” to fly over in Asia with the current world situation. I was lucky to only lay over in Narita (Tokyo) this trip, flying down to Shanghai and back during the day. You start feeling sort of like a “hot potato”, because once you’ve hit one country, the next one doesn’t want anything to do with you. China was particularly challenging, and way more challenging for our crews actually staying there vs. passing through. Chinese airspace was so quiet, it truly was eerie. Japan seemed a little more “normal” on the ground...except it’s not. Schools are closed, many public venues are shut down. Annual Sakura celebrations cancelled, tourist attractions such as museums and Disney are closed. I really don’t suggest traveling to Japan or anyplace else over here unless you have to.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

189c9983b9813ed950dc83e1e1dd610f.jpg

I work in an operating room here in houston and this is the 3rd time ive heard this today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re a fucking doctor? Shit you’re as dumb and as annoying as my fucking brother. Wait are you him?

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away