Paul Ryan is reported as NOT seeking re-election.

ROFL BOX

27 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm not sure, and I'm not going to look it up, but I have some vague recollection that the federal statute allows a quo warranto suit to be brought directly to the Supreme Court, and I don't think the Supreme Court has discretion not to take it (as it does in other appeals, which require a writ of certiorari).  

Regardless, I can't imagine the court would refuse to take it up even if they had the discretion not to. It would be one of the most impactful rulings in our nation's history. The only way I could see them passing would be "this is too big for us because the judiciary would essentially be picking the President" (or at least narrowing it to a very small pool).

32 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Watch out for woke Paul Ryan.

If no woke Paul Ryan, he still has political aspirations. 

If woke Paul Ryan, he's hanging it up and trying to improve his overall public image. 

Paul Ryan is a spineless weasel. Come on, man. 

5 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Regardless, I can't imagine the court would refuse to take it up even if they had the discretion not to. It would be one of the most impactful rulings in our nation's history. The only way I could see them passing would be "this is too big for us because the judiciary would essentially be picking the President" (or at least narrowing it to a very small pool).

We would never do that! /rehnquist. 

Edited by SuingToGetAMessageBoard?

25 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I don't know if "political" is the best description. It should be a plain-reading question. But I would expect it to come down to a determination of "intent," which is a woefully inadequate word for this particular issue. One one side you have what GoLL said, that it doesn't jive with separation of powers. On the other, it seems contrary to our country's basic ideals for a non-elected official (i.e., a political appointee) to sit the office of President. I'm nowhere near familiar enough with the leanings of the current SC to say which way I expect it to go.

Didn't Gerald Ford sit as VP and POTUS without being elected to either office?

7 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I didn't realize that Paul Ryan took SS survivor's benefits as a teenager when his father died.  He would go on to make it his life's mission to cut SS.

It's about as bad as Abbott campaigning on tort reform.

Shit man, don't you know he was doing keg stands in college while dreaming about cutting Medicaid?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/20/paul-ryan-has-wanted-to-reform-medicaid-since-his-frat-days.html

"So Medicaid, sending it back to the states, capping its growth rate, we've been dreaming of this since I've been around — since you and I were drinking at a keg. ... I've been thinking about this stuff for a long time," Ryan said. "We're on the cusp of doing something we've long believed in."

I didn't realize that Paul Ryan took SS survivor's benefits as a teenager when his father died.  He would go on to make it his life's mission to cut SS.

It’s much worse given the breadth and scope of a federal welfare benefit program hanging in the balance of his hypocrisy

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Have you met Swam?  Most R’s are complete hypocrites.  Ryan and Trump are the perfect leaders for the deplorables.  

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Have you met Swam?  Most R’s are complete hypocrites.  Ryan and Trump are the perfect leaders for the deplorables.  

you know, this is an interesting example, and it's one of cognitive dissonance. there are many people who are republican who massively undervalue the role of the government in their own lives. we know swam takes disability from his truncated military service. we know he did cash for clunkers. i know people in my family who hated obamacare while on the ACA. farmers take massive incentives from the government and largely vote republican, who are largely ostensibly against such entitlements.

it's like approval ratings of congress as compared with the success of incumbents in elections. everyone hates congress, but not their own congress critter. of course, many republicans will not have the benefit of voting for incumbents, as they seem to keep stepping down.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The GOP is the party of doublethink and now after running up a trillion dollar debt, Ryan is gonna peace out. Classic fucking PaRtY oF fInAcIaL rEsPoNsIbIlItY

Probably sees the writing on the wall and realizes the Dems are taking power back and doesn't want to watch everything he worked so hard to destroy be brought back to life.

Again, he's a fucking pussy.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

you know, this is an interesting example, and it's one of cognitive dissonance. there are many people who are republican who massively undervalue the role of the government in their own lives. we know swam takes disability from his truncated military service. we know he did cash for clunkers. i know people in my family who hated obamacare while on the ACA. farmers take massive incentives from the government and largely vote republican, who are largely ostensibly against such entitlements.
it's like approval ratings of congress as compared with the success of incumbents in elections. everyone hates congress, but not their own congress critter. of course, many republicans will not have the benefit of voting for incumbents, as they seem to keep stepping down.

IIRC, he also went to school through a masters with the government footing the bill through athletic scholarships and GI bill.

Ha.  It's like my grandfather.  Raised 12 kids who went to public schools.  Meanwhile, retired from his postal service job at age 60 and lived off the government pension for years, with the government providing benefits to him and his family of 14 for decades both before and after his retirement.  Railed ad nauseum about how Obama voters just wanted free stuff and goddamn government paying for healthcare and how dare those teachers get pensions.

4 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Hahaha. Paul Ryan will never be woke. He is just bowing out to avoid scrutiny.  After Trump goes down, a Dem house will be investigating errbody, but they might not bother with those who already stepped down. 

Too late...they've already got him on tape @ the Republican Convention talking to Russian Ambassador Kislyak on how to launder russian money to support republican politicians.

All of these pussies in the GOP are bowing out because they allowed Trump to take over the GOP, and they still don't have the balls to call out Trump for the worthless piece of shit that he is. They are running scared but too spineless to do anything about the problem on the way out. Fuck Ryan, I hope he ends up in jail also. 

• Like 2

LOL at his Wikipedia bio, which includes this breathless fanboi section:  

Ryan attended St. Mary's Catholic School in Janesville, where he played on the seventh-grade basketball team,[20] then attended Joseph A. Craig High School,[21] where he was elected president of his junior class, and thus became prom king.[22] As class president Ryan was a representative of the student body on the school board.[23] Following his second year, Ryan took a job working the grill at McDonald's.[23] He was on his high school's ski, track, and varsity soccer teams and played basketball in a Catholic recreational league.[24][25][26] He participated in several academic and social clubs including the Model United Nations.[23][24] Ryan and his family often went on hiking and skiing trips to the Colorado Rocky Mountains.[27][19]

When he was 16, Ryan found his 55-year-old father lying dead in bed of a heart attack.[19][23] Following the death of his father, Ryan's grandmother moved in with the family. As she had Alzheimer's, Ryan helped care for her while his mother commuted to college in Madison, Wisconsin.[23] From the time of his father's death until his 18th birthday, Ryan received Social Security survivors benefits, which were saved for his college education.[28][29][30]His mother remarried, to Bruce Douglas.[13][31]

Ryan has a bachelor's degree in economics and political science from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio,[32] where he became interested in the writings of Friedrich Hayek, Ludwig von Mises, and Milton Friedman.[23] He often visited the office of libertarian professor Richard Hart to discuss the theories of these economists and of Ayn Rand.[23][33] Hart introduced Ryan to National Review,[23] and with Hart's recommendation Ryan began an internshipin the D.C. office of Wisconsin U.S. Senator Bob Kasten where he worked with Kasten's foreign affairs adviser.[23][34]

He attended the Washington Semester program at American University.[35] Ryan worked summers as a salesman for Oscar Mayer and once got to drive the Wienermobile.[19][33][36] Ryan was a member of the College Republicans,[37] and volunteered for the congressional campaign of John Boehner.[33] He was a member of the Delta Tau Delta social fraternity.[38]

2 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

Shit man, don't you know he was doing keg stands in college while dreaming about cutting Medicaid?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/20/paul-ryan-has-wanted-to-reform-medicaid-since-his-frat-days.html

Paul Ryan always struck me as a guy who learned his entire political ideology from the Young Republicans Club  in college. He never challenged it or compared it to facts and historical evidence, just accepted it as dogma. It's easy being an ideologue. And when your first priority is cutting the taxes of billionaires, there's good money in it too. 

When the House Intel Committee shut their investigation down, I wondered if Mueller, or someone affiliated, had discussed a few things with Paul Ryan. 

Will be interesting to see if this changes how Ryan handles Devin Nunes. Nunes is currently trying to force the FBI/DOJ to give him the unredacted FISA warrant application for Carter Page, which is another pretty clear attempt at obstructing justice. 

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

Ha.  It's like my grandfather.  Raised 12 kids who went to public schools.  Meanwhile, retired from his postal service job at age 60 and lived off the government pension for years, with the government providing benefits to him and his family of 14 for decades both before and after his retirement.  Railed ad nauseum about how Obama voters just wanted free stuff and goddamn government paying for healthcare and how dare those teachers get pensions.

I know a huge conservative who posts self-righteous shit on FB from time to time.  But when his kids were in school, he hid income from his business to qualify for free lunch aid.  I guess it’s only welfare when people who actually need help get free stuff.  

Another conservative who waxes poetic about the private sector and the ills of government but spends his entire life in government.  He's a Dick Cheney Republican.

The Democrats were gearing up to make Ryan's politics a nationwide issue this time.  Connor Lamb was the first one smart enough to actually make an issue of Ryan's wildly unpopular ideas.  Maybe Ryan didn't want to be Pelosi'ed.

Edited by Aqua Buddha

47 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I thought Paul Ryan was a good guy. In the end he showed he had no balls. The type of republican I can support is going extinct.

5697e1d5afeee73ffbd46710911fdc73.gif

Yes

Edited by Pods
Visualize me pushing glasses up the bridge of my nose for a second. Tyrannosaurus rex only has two fingers on each hand. This cartoon version has 3. 

3 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

that cartoon, Pods...is that true? 

The only dinosaurs the survived the asteroid impact and following extinction were birds, so I'm going to go with yes. 

Edited by Pods