2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I was just referring to the fact that he said prediction.  It's not a prediction if you leave 20% of the thing unaccounted for.  

I'm going to predict that Texas is up 8 at the 12:32 mark of the 4th quarter this Saturday.  Whaaaaaa?

You actually think that's not a prediction?

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

On this board- certainly.  In the real world?  Tomorrow- 45% +/- of your fellow American's are going to go out and vote for them. There's not a single bit of representation of that on this site.  not a centrist position. I'm willing to hear arguments that it's the correct position, but not that it's the centrist position.  

I mean we are forced into prioritizing getting rid of an insane science denier who has promised to throw out the most important piece of legislation since the civil rights act with no plans for a replacement, who actively mocks his foremost experts in infectious diseases while 1000 Americans a day die from Covid-19, and who has effectively orphaned 550 child refugees, over policies we would like to be making a case for. 

so my centrist position is get this maniac the fuck out of here and then we can re assess things

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

City people get told a story by a farmer whose combine burnt to the ground. He blames those nasty Antifa fuckers of arson because of his Trump flags.

And she calls them out for being rubes

I actually know there farmer in question. What's far more likely in this case than antifa or insurance fraud, is that either some guys were high on meth and decided to raise some hell (had that happen to one of my clients a few years ago, or it was a revenge type deal over a land deal(had that happen to another client). From the farmers perspective, it's easier to believe that it was traveling antifa than come to terms with the fact that somebody in your local community fucked you. (This is in an Mennonite community) The thread trying to blame it on a combine fire is pretty baseless speculation, because while it's been a banner year for combine fires, it's pretty obvious that the equipment was set on fire indivdually, and not from the initial combine fire. In addition, it's not insurance fraud if your shit burns down accidentally either. That why you have insurance. 

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We're all human and our emotions can get the best of us. I'm sure we've all done things we wish we could take back. Everyone needs to practice taking a breath and counting to 10. Especially in a time when any of us could become internet famous in the next 10 minutes.

True, but that guy had also been harassing and bullying people online in that area for years.  That’s why he was yelling at her that ‘You should know who I am’.

He also went to an early voting site and was harassing people there as well and was forced to leave.
 His case wasn’t  a temporary lapse in judgement.  That dude is just a full time asshole.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

anyone else getting election anxiety bout now

It's about that time of day.  Keeping the booze corked until tomorrow...of course, I say that now, but that will probably change when I get home and see that my lovely wife has has started.  Picked the wrong year to quit day drinking.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

I actually know there farmer in question. What's far more likely in this case than antifa or insurance fraud, is that either some guys were high on meth and decided to raise some hell (had that happen to one of my clients a few years ago, or it was a revenge type deal over a land deal(had that happen to another client). From the farmers perspective, it's easier to believe that it was traveling antifa than come to terms with the fact that somebody in your local community fucked you. (This is in an Mennonite community) The thread trying to blame it on a combine fire is pretty baseless speculation, because while it's been a banner year for combine fires, it's pretty obvious that the equipment was set on fire indivdually, and not from the initial combine fire. In addition, it's not insurance fraud if your shit burns down accidentally either. That why you have insurance. 

I swear the reach of this place doesn't quit.

Amazeballs.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, SimonBolivar said:

Has anyone else seen some "mission creep" into their beliefs where the D platform seems a bit better than it would have before Trumpism? Being Anti-Trump has led me far down the progressive path that I never would've imagined 4 years ago.

Here.  I fully support court packing now.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Hopefully the Dems turn out in PA tomorrow. because with 1.5 million votes cast by mail, and 65% of Dems saying they intend to vote by mail, 2.4 million votes will not be enough to win the state. 

It’s gonna take at least 3 million, probably closer to 3.2 or 3.3 to win the state. 

Edited by heso

32 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

One thing possibly worth noting is that I've seen a handful of polls recently that show Biden with extremely similar margins to what Clinton pulled in places like CA, NY, IL...etc.

Suggests that if Biden really does end up winning the PV by 6+, then it won't have been the result of simply running up the score with a couple extra million votes in the solid blue bastions, but rather from actively cutting into Trump's vote share in red and swing states.

yep.

the polls that i'm continually interested in are the big red state polls.  when trump has leads in montana, alaska, west virginia, oklahoma, etc that are comfortable, but a fraction of his margin from 2016, that tells me plenty, without the news of the actual flipping of a state.  nobody pays attention to these polls, but there's a lot of information contained there (that mississippi one might be similar too).

all signs are pointing towards an 8-10 point woodshed beating (which would be 12-16mm votes).  we've been told time and time again that anything higher than ~5 points makes the math on the electoral side pretty much moot (while mathematically possible, it really isn't). 

if and when biden wins by 7.9 points or something, trump will scream, his people will yell, and all the pollsters will sigh, and say, "see?"

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

Has anyone else seen some "mission creep" into their beliefs where the D platform seems a bit better than it would have before Trumpism? Being Anti-Trump has led me far down the progressive path that I never would've imagined 4 years ago.

Undoubtedly.

4 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Many moons ago I won a race in Henderson so this hits close to home. During the offseason used to run a lot of those small town/city races particularly in the central and eastern sections. Ran one in Hooper right before what was later thought to be a F1 tornado. Fun times. Sounds like the towns maybe struggling with the meth? Sad to hear that.

4 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

This X 1000

11 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah, for me Trump was a pretty huge wake up call that our shit is really fucked up.  My first questions were how and why did this happen and what can be done to prevent it in the future? The most disappointing thing is there aren’t many competing ideas on how to solve our big problems.

The progressive movement seems to be the only one with some political power trying to fix broken shit and everyone else is on the fence without offering many solutions. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The SoS of Texas and Harris County addressed this early on by agreeing that the mobile structures need to be attached to a building. And be attached, they meant adjacent or on the same property. The Drive Thru voting location a mile from my house is a huge set of tents with flaps, and it's operated at a normal polling location. NRG is the same way. It's all bullshit.

Every car wash in Houston needs to be converted into a voting “structure” tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Dude- anyone who is right of center is run off of this sub forum.  Look around. Other than a very occasional drive by there's basically nobody here who isn't totally and completely in lockstep with being 100% all dem all the time, and to the extent where that position takes any fire it's from the commie section of the board in bad_teammate.  This board is completely a left wing echo chamber.  100% total and complete. Like- put up a poll on anything you want (should the GOP be locked up, should they be tarred and feathered- or just summarily executed) and you will find the response here about 38 points to the left of America as a whole.  44-47% of the population tomorrow is going to vote for Trump and the left wing has made that so toxic on here that there's literally not a single Trump voter to be found b/c if you vote for Trump you are a terrible human being, beyond any shot of redemption, and you should, as a good American, totally and completely disavow anyone you know who has the audacity to vote for that guy.

I don't mind this board for a bit of time during election season b/c I'm fundamentally a contrarian, I try to live in a world of reality, and I also recognize the fact that you nut jobs are pretty smart on balance, and occasionally funny.  I balance any time spent here with RCP (usually reading both articles on any subject as that's what they do- post a point- counterpoint everywhere on their site) and as much red state as I can take until the stupid starts to really burn and I have to eject when I just want partisan filled fever dreams from the GOP instead of people singing in tune to the International.

In case you didn't get this- I'm saying this, "with all due respect" and b/c other than a couple of yall I like yall and hope for a world where we can be friends again, someday.

Also- when I say I'm fundamentally a contrarian that's not the same as a troll. I've never posted anything that wasn't true (even when it was talking about how I don't like barbecue or guns), I just like to push back where I see a shitty or undeveloped argument- and it's not particularly fun or interesting to me to nod my head.  It also doesn't advance the conversation too much to simply say "agree" but every now and again there's a post good enough where I just want to say- yep- this is right- and move on.     

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Dude, most of us are right of center.

Here is one issue that I think crystallizes how this board is not nearly as “right of center” as it declares itself to be. 

RBG death/ACB appointment. 

A lot of right of center voters have for years pulled the lever in large part because of an emphasis on the composition of the Supreme Court. When the opportunity presented itself for the Senate to follow through on its mandate, almost everyone here acted like it was the end of the Republic.

Almost unanimous disapproval here of a move that ended up polling relatively well (I shared a poll then that showed plurality of voters approved of her appointment).  

The Democratic response has been to threaten packing the Court. Judging the room from my experience, that would have overwhelming approval here, from this “right of center” group. 🙄🙄🙄

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 10

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

Honest question: why?

I'll field that one for myself. Because it's obvious that the judiciary has been politicized by one party in particular, and the partisan nature of politics these days makes the possibility of a completely neutral judiciary seem implausible. I firmly believe in the separation of powers of the branches, but with Congress being too much pussies, the senate rubber stamping the executive, and now the judiciary being stacked with far right conservatives, I believe the judiciary needs a reset. You can't unfuck all the federal judges Trump has appointed overnight, or even over the course of a decade. It will take a generation. Be resetting the court to even levels so there's a "chance" that the lawyers will debate the law on their merits as opposed to just rubber stamping partisan decision-making is a start. That, and you introduce limits on SC justices immediately in an effort to prevent this bullshit from happening ever again. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Just now, GRHorn said:

Here is one issue that I think crystallizes how this board is not nearly as “right of center” as it declares itself to be. 

A lot of right of center voters have for years pulled the lever in large part because of an emphasis on the composition of the Supreme Court. When the opportunity presented itself for the Senate to follow through on its mandate, almost everyone here acted like it was the end of the Republic.

Almost unanimous disapproval here of a move that ended up polling relatively well (I shared a poll then that showed plurality of voters approved of her appointment).  

The Democratic response has been to threaten packing the Court. Judging the room from my experience, that would have overwhelming approval here, from this “right of center” group. 🙄🙄🙄

Disingenuous troll is disingenuous 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

A lot of right of center voters have for years pulled the lever in large part because of an emphasis on the composition of the Supreme Court.

And this is the crux of it. The far right sees itself as center right

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Mrs.LL just learned last night that her parents voted for Trump.  She had real hopes and expectations that they would flip this year, particularly because of the COVID thing.  But her father, in particular, is a racist at his core.  And he's just not going to get over that.

She has always kind of idolized her father, in particular.  It's amazing to watch someone's respect for her parents evaporate in the span of a few minutes.

It's especially tough to sit there and just be supportive.  Of course, I want to yell "fuck them in their stupid racist asses."  But those are her parents, and that's not productive.  So there was just a lot of "I know" and "I'm sorry" and "I can't imagine how disappointed you are."

I don't even think they have the first clue about how disappointed and disguised she is.  They really should be praying for a Biden victory.  If Biden wins, then I think she'll get over it.  But if Trump somehow wins, that relationship may be irreparably damaged.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Some, but on the big-ticket issues, it was already about done before Trump.  Couple of examples:

1 -- I support universal healthcare.  I'm open to mutliple different visions of it, but between looking at the hard data of our costs, outcomes, and how much of a bitch it is to find coverage for many people, and how hard it is to navigate as a business owner trying to find plans for your employees (I'm a business owner now), it just makes a metric shit ton of sense.   It's actually the fiscally responsible path.  And hey, it just so happens to be the decent thing to do.  It's remarkable how often those interests intersect, if you look at things objectively.

2 -- I know for a fact that trickle-down economics is garbage.  For a long time, it made sense to me.  But having watched multiple stabs as it over the years, I'm not dumb.  We keep touching that hot stove, and it keeps burning us.  We shouldn't keep touching it.

On other things, I have always felt strongly -- equal rights, anti-racism, anti-destruction of the 4th amendment, etc. -- a lot of ideals that used to be embodied by at least a faction of the GOP.  But now, seeing those things utterly drummed out of the GOP makes opposing the GOP super easy.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

keanu reeves film GIF

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Many moons ago I won a race in Henderson so this hits close to home. During the offseason used to run a lot of those small town/city races particularly in the central and eastern sections. Ran one in Hooper right before what was later thought to be a F1 tornado. Fun times. Sounds like the towns maybe struggling with the meth? Sad to hear that.

Henderson sits on top of some the best farm ground in the United States, while the population might be down a bit, it's pretty fairly stacked with cash especially with recent price rally. There's a bit of meth everywhere in Nebraska, and getting lit up and burning things is a time honored tradition, especially when you have the clash between repressed Mennonite community, and a number of youth treatment homes to keep local school enrollment up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

You left out the minor detail of the unjust process when taken hand in hand with the GOP strategy with Merrick Garland.  Convenient.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The Supreme Court should have more sanctity.  It should be fixed at 9.

I don't see the court being packed. However I think Biden/Harris are being cagey about it to scare the judges but nothing more. Because it is one thing to talk about this kind of thing but it is another to actually vote to do it. I mean unless it suddenly looks incredibly popular but I doubt that happens.

Seems like we need some amendments to better define how the Supreme Court works though. I wish our government was still functional enough to do that.

Edited by Valmy77

7 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Definitely. And reading some of the discussions here have pointed me to sources where I can understand other perspectives as well. It's been a good thing.

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The Supreme Court should have more sanctity.  It should be fixed at 9.

Why?  There's nothing in the constitution that says this.  It expanded to 9 justices when the federal circuit expanded to 9.  Now there are 13 circuits. 

What could possibly give "sanctity" to the number 9?  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1