2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

He will protest the results no matter what.  But if Biden gets 350+, there’s no way the courts or Senate give him the election.  People will abandon him.

And it all crashes down
And you break your crown
And you point your finger, but there's no one around
Just want one thing, just to play the King
But the castle crumbled and you're left with just a name
Where's your crown, King Nothing?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

They make good ads.

I know it's going to bother some of the hard-core Democrats on this board, but don't be surprised if you see someone like Steve Schmidt running a Democratic campaign for president within the next few cycles.

Yup. And that is why I am donating repeatedly to LP.  I don’t give a shit if they supported pubs in the past.  They are money whores but right now they are on the right side of the fight and I will do my part to make it it lucrative to be a money whore for those trying to make the country better.  The Dems need some cut throat motherfuckers fighting on their side for a change instead of “what about the decorum” pussies that have been running the show for decades

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

https://www.axios.com/trump-advisers-brace-for-loss-02d6b688-4d15-46f8-a28c-efdf2a5640c3.html?utm_campaign=organic&utm_medium=socialshare&utm_source=twitter

Three senior Trump advisers who recently talked to campaign manager Bill Stepien walked away believing he thinks they will lose.

The big picture: The Trump campaign is filled with internal blaming and pre-spinning of a potential loss, accelerating a dire mood that's driven by a daily barrage of bleak headlines, campaign and White House officials tell me.

"A lot of this is the president himself," one adviser said. "You can't heal a patient who doesn't want to take the diagnosis."

In weekly pep talks, Stepien tells staff members why they shouldn't pay attention to the perennially horrible public polls — and how they can "win the week" and the campaign.

But in other private conversations, described by multiple sources, Stepien can seem darkly pessimistic. He likens the campaign to an airplane flying through turbulence, saying: "It's our job to safely land the plane." 

Three sources who have heard Stepien use variations of the airplane analogy say they sensed he was deeply, perhaps irretrievably pessimistic about the state of the race.

"It's not a great feeling when you get the sense the campaign manager doesn't deep down think we're going to win," one campaign source said.

Stepien pushed back strongly on that, telling me on Friday morning: "With each day closer to November 3, our campaign data presents a clear pathway to 270 for the President that provides me more confidence than ever in President Trump's re-election."

"Our campaign knows how President Trump was elected in 2016 and more importantly, we know exactly how he's going to do it 

Spoiler

Trump can still win. But make no mistake: Even his most loyal supporters, including those paid to believe, keep telling us he's toast — and could bring Republican control of the Senate down with him. 

Between the lines: Stepien's critics say he is in CYA mode, refusing to make tough decisions that might incur Trump's wrath while setting up excuses for what polls suggest could be a shellacking by Joe Biden.

But Stepien's defenders tell me the campaign sees several remaining paths to victory, and note that it's hardly his fault when the president insists on actions like taking a joyride with the Secret Service while infected by COVID-19.

They added that it's also hardly Stepien's fault that Trump continues to attack his public health officials and present views that are out of step with public opinion — such as his denigration of the basic safety act of wearing a mask.

He's also dealing with a money shortage, driven by heavy early spending by his predecessor, Brad Parscale, who was demoted this summer.

Several campaign officials say they don't have a clear sense what Stepien's strategy is to get to 270 electoral votes.

In internal conversations, Stepien and other senior officials often use the word "optionality" to describe the decision to keep dabbling in every Rust Belt battleground and preserve multiple paths to 270.

Critics hear "optionality" as a cover for indecision, keeping small pots of money spread across numerous states rather than picking a path and committing to it.

One campaign adviser pointed to a "half-assed" advertising buy in Wisconsin this week, around $130,000 according to Advertising Analytics data, which two campaign sources said seemed pointless given it's too small to move the needle.

Ditto the decision to stay on the air in Minnesota, a state that no one I spoke to sees as part of Trump's path to 270.

But Stepien's dilemma, as described by several advisers, is that Trump would inevitably blow up at him if he were to read newspaper stories that he was going off the air in a Rust Belt battleground.

The other side: Defending Stepien, two senior officials said he was staying on air in Wisconsin and Minnesota because their data are still showing them these states could turn in Trump's favor.

"The notion will be, probably at some point in the next week we'll be making some decisions on where we place our bets and how we do it," one of the senior officials said.

"But the cool thing about the president is he's going to be everywhere in the last two weeks" — and family members like Don Junior and Ivanka are "also going to be everywhere."

What's new: In reporting out this story, Axios learned that Stepien has described to some colleagues that he sees at least three pathways to 270 electoral votes. 

Stepien tells them the "easy part” is winning Ohio, Florida, Georgia, Iowa and Maine’s second congressional district. From there, the first pathway, and the one he views as most likely, is for Trump to win Arizona, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania. 

His second pathway would be for Trump to win Arizona, North Carolina and Michigan.

And pathway three — the one Stepien views as least likely of the options — does not include Arizona but involves Trump winning North Carolina, Michigan and Nevada.

Those states are where Trump will be spending the vast bulk of his time between now and Nov. 3, and where the Trump campaign is spending most of its money.

The states in none of Stepien's three scenarios: Wisconsin or Minnesota.

Senior officials' defense of continuing to spend money in Wisconsin and Minnesota is that staying on air with small buys in these states preserves their options, recognizing that, as in 2016, votes can move quickly in the final days.

What's next: Over the past two weeks, Jared Kushner has been casting about outside of the campaign for fresh ideas on tactics, strategy and messaging. A senior campaign source said he always does this, and that nothing should be read into it beyond him gathering the best information and trying to bring everyone together.

During the past week, Trump asked at least one confidant whether they think he needs to make any changes on his campaign.

But nobody I've spoken to seriously thinks any major personnel changes will be made at this late stage in the race.

The bottom line: "In terms of really changing the trajectory of the race," said one campaign source, "there's only one person, from either side, who can do that. And that's Trump."

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

image.png.98a04192fbb9c4d3ca636c7c6d3b3a8b.png

And here is a beautiful illustration of the fact that the EC is garbage.  Biden has to win the popular vote and hopefully by a large margin to ensure he wins the EC.  Trump could give a fuck about the popular vote as it relates to his path to EC victory.

Edited by TexEx15
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Please please do Trump.

ohio is too fucking red. It still qualifies as a swing state, but republicans have 12 congressman to democrats 4. What the hell is that shit?  It should at least be 10 repub to 6 democrats.

I hoping that the Ohio bribery scandal well help the Dems this cycle.  It's like something straight out of a movie - corrupt politicians taking bribes to direct taxpayer money to nuke and coal plants, at the expense of renewable energies. Disgust with corruption is a fairly bipartisan issue, and this one is pretty easy to digest. 

Householder, the former Speaker of the Ohio House of Representatives, is the last of five men to be arraigned in what U.S. Attorney David DeVillers called the biggest public bribery scheme in Ohio history.

The other members of the Ohio House voted to remove Householder as speaker on July 30, shortly after FBI agents arrested him and searched his property in Perry County. But House Republicans opted not to eject Householder from his state representative seat, saying the Ohio Constitution allows removal only once for the same conduct. Householder is running unopposed for re-election in November, though some challengers are trying to mount write-in campaigns. He represents a district in rural Perry County, southeast of Columbus.

Householder, lobbyists Neil Clark and Juan Cespedes, former Ohio GOP chairman Matt Borges and political strategist Jeff Longstreth are accused of running a criminal enterprise. Federal charges allege the group took $60 million in bribe money and used it to elect pro-Householder legislators, get Householder re-elected as speaker and in 2019 to pass and defend a controversial energy bailout law known as House Bill 6.

House Bill 6 provided a $1.3 billion bailout for FirstEnergy Solutions. It also included so-called ’decoupling’ language that benefited FirstEnergy and included subsidies for coal-fired power plants operated by Ohio Valley Electric Corp., in which Dayton Power & Light holds an ownership interest. It also stripped away energy efficiency programs and renewable energy standards that had been in Ohio law for a decade.

Dayton Times

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

They make good ads.

I know it's going to bother some of the hard-core Democrats on this board, but don't be surprised if you see someone like Steve Schmidt running a Democratic campaign for president within the next few cycles.

i guess my question is who is seeing these ads and where? Are the getting to the right target audience?

I love 'em and all, but I am not the one who needs convincing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I don’t know which states to late registration, and I don’t know how long this has been there, but I walked into my son’s room yesterday and he had his xbox home screen up on his tv. On it, one of the tiles said “press pause, register to vote” or “press pause, go vote.”  Don’t know if that was clickable to find out how/where to do that, but I think it’s a great way to get out the youth vote. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i guess my question is who is seeing these ads and where? Are the getting to the right target audience?

I love 'em and all, but I am not the one who needs convincing.

That depends on us. Those ads are made to be shared. We decide who sees them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Y'all need to get ready for Trump to protest the results, even if Biden gets 400 EVs. 

Why. He’s hated by republican politicians, nobody is going to give him cover, and if need be he’d be frog matched out of the White House. 
unless by protest the results you mean cry like a little bitch in which case sure- that’s a guarantee. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Why. He’s hated by republican politicians, nobody is going to give him cover, and if need be he’d be frog matched out of the White House. 
unless by protest the results you mean cry like a little bitch in which case sure- that’s a guarantee. 

Yes. I expect him to give a victory speech on election night, and then challenge the results. I don't think he'll be successful. 

7 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

That depends on us. Those ads are made to be shared. We decide who sees them. 

That's why I have been sharing them on FB. It pisses off the Trumpsters, emboldens the Dems, and provides some sort of counterpoint to the shitty memes of the first group for the indecisive. 

I'd do it just to piss off the Trumpsters, the other parts are a bonus. 

3 hours ago, Tuco said:

It's simple, but costly.  Opposing Trump means losing the Trumpkin vote, which means losing elections.  They just want the problem to go away without sacrificing anything. Which is pretty much how they approach any problem - global warming, deadly pandemics, national debt, etc..

Edited to add: and yeah, fuck them.  They are cowards and pussies masquerading as leaders, patriots, and Christians.  Fuck all of them.  

A few politicians make decisions that they know will lose them elections. A very few. And usually that’s after extracting a concession of a lucrative lobbying job to be lined up as a soft landing after said loss. 
most politicians, of any stripe and flavor, don’t dot things they know will cause them to lose. 
I know everyone on here hates Paul Ryan but that’s why I like him- he basically never endorsed Trump and then quit rather than work with him. The Romney/ryan ticket had moral courage. It got buttfucked at the ballot box. Seems like that’s a bad lesson for other politicians to show moral courage. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, BradInATX said:

- Look at how crazy Wisconsin is. Biden is up by 6.3% but Trump outperformed polls by a huge 7.2% last time. I don't trust Wisconsin at all.

4 hours ago, The Dog said:

@BradInATX regarding Wisconsin: The question I have is can Trump out-perform his 2016 vote share? If not then he's likely to lose Wisconsin.

I cannot fathom how Trump can come anywhere close to what he did in Wisconsin four-years ago. First, he's a known quantity now. "Drain the swamp" doesn't resonate quite as much when the person saying it is a known Swamp Thing. Second, COVID. Wisconsin is getting hammered right now. I heard a report today that they are out of intensive care and ER space altogether in cities like Green Bay. Third, white suburban housewives in Milwaukee are all in for Biden (or all in against Trump) and will be more inclined to just stay home if they can't stomach voting for either. My point is that I have more faith in Wisconsin than other states like Pennsylvania or Florida.

20 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

A few politicians make decisions that they know will lose them elections. A very few. And usually that’s after extracting a concession of a lucrative lobbying job to be lined up as a soft landing after said loss. 
most politicians, of any stripe and flavor, don’t dot things they know will cause them to lose. 
I know everyone on here hates Paul Ryan but that’s why I like him- he basically never endorsed Trump and then quit rather than work with him. The Romney/ryan ticket had moral courage. It got buttfucked at the ballot box. Seems like that’s a bad lesson for other politicians to show moral courage. 

Paul Ryan?

Slow down there.

On Ryan's legislative prowess

“So I get a text from 43 about a month ago, maybe six weeks ago.” Boehner’s close friend Ed, who joined our nightcap, interjects: “Off the record?” Boehner waves him off: “It doesn’t matter.” He lets out a thick cough, smoke escaping his mouth, and continues. “So 43 says, ‘Hey, are you talking to Ryan? Are you giving him advice?’ I said, ‘Yeah, if he calls I give him advice.’” Boehner takes a long, satisfied drag. “And he texts me back: ‘He needs to call you more.’”

Yeah, he got out because he's smart enough to realize that Trump was going to fry the GOP.

3 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Paul Ryan?

Slow down there.

On Ryan's legislative prowess

“So I get a text from 43 about a month ago, maybe six weeks ago.” Boehner’s close friend Ed, who joined our nightcap, interjects: “Off the record?” Boehner waves him off: “It doesn’t matter.” He lets out a thick cough, smoke escaping his mouth, and continues. “So 43 says, ‘Hey, are you talking to Ryan? Are you giving him advice?’ I said, ‘Yeah, if he calls I give him advice.’” Boehner takes a long, satisfied drag. “And he texts me back: ‘He needs to call you more.’”

Yeah, he got out because he's smart enough to realize that Trump was going to fry the GOP.

As I said- I know everyone here hates Paul ryan. I don’t. I have one thing I will vote on in the future- did you bend and scrape for trump. He passes that test for me so I’m good. 

Paul Ryan's jarring Trump sellout: Column

Evidently, Speaker of the House Paul Ryan was drinking too much Trump Vodka on Thursday, as The Donald absconded with Ryan's reputation as one of the few remaining conservatives of principle. Citing the need for party "unity" going into the fall election, Ryan ended his holdout and finally endorsed Donald Trump for president, Perhaps this endorsement was inevitable, but it was jarring to see the sellout executed for free. Trump today is just as unfit to hold public office as he was when Ryan announced his pyrite protest. Perhaps Trump is the master negotiator he claims to be — he actually made Ryan tear down the wall between them, and Republicans are ultimately going to pay for it.

During Ryan's holdout, Trump made no progress toward the goals Ryan said he needed to see from the presumptive GOP nominee — in fact, just in the 10 days before the endorsement, Trump floated discredited conspiracy theories about former Clinton adviser Vince Foster's death and attacked the ethnicity of a judge overseeing the Trump University case. Are these what pushed Ryan toward capitulation?

Now Ryan becomes like San Francisco Giants fans who cheered on Barry Bonds during his desecration of America's pastime. Normally sane fans defended Bonds simply because he wore the right color jersey.

Now that Trump is wearing the Republican jersey — one that still has the price tag on it, incidentally — conscious conservatives are losing their minds defending someone who is uniquely unqualified to lead the nation. If there existed an organization called "People Named Donald Trump," Trump wouldn't be cognitively stable enough to serve as its president.

USA today opinion piece from 2016

Edited by Tuco

19 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

On the road to Yellowstone, there’s a ranch on the south side that in 2016 and again this year has a homemade wooden trump sign at the corner of the property. White background, Trump in red. Occasionally when we drive by it, someone will have spray painted “fuck” above trump, or x’d it out. It’s always fixed within a day. 
much like Alaska, Wyoming isn’t really the place to be trespassing and vandalizing things. I’m a little surprised we’ve gone two election cycles now and nobody has been shot. 

• Hook 'Em 1