Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

28 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Also, as bad as the Pelosi meeting was for Trump, he absolutely needed something in the media to demonstrate he’s still the president and not just a criminal awaiting justice. 

It distracted from the story that Ivanka and Donnie jr had contact with the Russians as well.

I don’t see any winners from the video clips being posted of that meeting.

It was just talking points vs talking points. Both sides will find their positives and continue to talk past each other.

I assume eventually additional continuing resolutions will be passed to punt this to the next legislature. Though that might be after a partial shutdown over Xmas

^^^
True. Pelosi appears over the moon that Trump said he will be responsible for the shutdown.

That’s nice for a political win that will last the lifespan of nano second. His base doesn’t care. Maybe independents care, but the next election is lifetimes away.

How does the country move forward from a legislation/budget perspective?

53 minutes ago, NowThis said:

if the government is shutdown over no border security, meaning the Border Patrol doesn't work those days, wouldn't that defeat the purpose? 

Border patrol will work (LEO has to during shut downs), and will get all their back pay (special bill will be passed to get the heroes their pay).

34 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Honestly I'm not sure if it was the right move for him. Democrats are never going to like him so playing it like a normal politician like he did just makes him come off to the Trump base as weak and not supportive. Kind of a damned if you do and damned if you don't moment.

He probably didn’t have a choice in the matter and on paper it does make sense for him to be there to support the president’s position. But the contempt in the room being palpable, along with the lack of decorum, made it reasonable to bow out. Sheesh, what an absolute shit show. 

8 minutes ago, swraith said:

^^^
True. Pelosi appears over the moon that Trump said he will be responsible for the shutdown.

That’s nice for a political win that will last the lifespan of nano second. His base doesn’t care. Maybe independents care, but the next election is lifetimes away.

Obamacare?

Everyone still remembers that Cruz caused a shutdown, even his own party.

3 minutes ago, swraith said:

^^^

his base don't care, that is true.

but branding it "trump's shutdown" and getting him to own bad things could be the beginning of a trend. they played him like a fiddle. what's next? "trump's economy," "trump's trade war," "trump's war?"

two years is not a long time away. i know we live in a compacted news cycle where big news seems insignificant, but if they can play him so easily, then they absolutely should.

in fact, the republican leadership should have been doing the same, except behind closed doors at first. when that doesn't work, then you do it in the press. 

but you know why they didn't?

<engage tin foil russia nra money conspiracy theory>

2 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

She should have just said "Why should we have a vote for funding the wall in the U.S. Congress when Mexico is going to pay for it? That makes no sense, Mr. President. If Mexico is going to pay for the wall, shouldn't their Congress be voting on it?"

This.  Pelosi and Schumer missed the layup.  They Chuck Todd'd that development of narrative.  It didn't even have to be combative.  They could've asked where he was on his progress with having Mexico pay or even slightly fund the wall so they could take Mexico's portion into account.  Then mention how helpful it would be considering the massive deficit.  Then eventually ask him on live television if he had completely abandoned that notion and at what exact moment he lost all hope with Mexico.

The cheap narrative could've easily been "the U.S. Government will shut down because Mexico isn't going to pay for the wall."  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chooky said:

This.  Pelosi and Schumer missed the layup.  They Chuck Todd'd that development of narrative.  It didn't even have to be combative.  They could've asked where he was on his progress with having Mexico pay or even slightly fund the wall so they could take Mexico's portion into account.  Then mention how helpful it would be considering the massive deficit.  Then eventually ask him on live television if he had completely abandoned that notion and at what exact moment he lost all hope with Mexico.

The cheap narrative could've easily been "the U.S. Government will shut down because Mexico isn't going to pay for the wall."  

I thought he already moved the goalposts on that to “they’re going to reimburse us.”

1 minute ago, Nope said:

I thought he already moved the goalposts on that to “they’re going to reimburse us.”

He should've been forced to reiterate that at least twice today and then explain how. 

The video of that exchange today didn't move the needle for anyone.  Good theater, but two sides threatening ultimatums is a mutual win for ideological diehards.  It's being way overblown.  MSNBC will ejaculate over it for the next two weeks.  So will Fox News.    

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Chooky said:

He should've been forced to reiterate that at least twice today and then explain how. 

The video of that exchange today didn't move the needle for anyone.  Good theater, but two sides threatening ultimatums is a mutual win for ideological diehards.  It's being way overblown.  MSNBC will ejaculate over it for the next two weeks.  So will Fox News.    

The needle has been moving in the direction of the Democrats for two years and is continuing to move that way.

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The needle has been moving in the direction of the Democrats for two years and is continuing to move that way.

That's not the point.  Pelosi and Schumer missed a huge opportunity to initiate derision from Trump's most ardent supporters about Mexico paying for the wall.  They had a chance to use the words "deficit" and "Mexico/wall" while sitting in the same frame of Trump and Pence.  They could've dropped a nuke right in his lap and they tossed gravel at a window instead.  

33 minutes ago, Chooky said:

That's not the point.  Pelosi and Schumer missed a huge opportunity to initiate derision from Trump's most ardent supporters about Mexico paying for the wall.  They had a chance to use the words "deficit" and "Mexico/wall" while sitting in the same frame of Trump and Pence.  They could've dropped a nuke right in his lap and they tossed gravel at a window instead.  

I kinda disagree.  Trump’s most ardent supporters don’t give a shit about Mexico paying for the wall, deficits, or anything involving policy really.  

What they want to see is Trump put those left coast democrats in their place.  

Pelosi didn’t need to go on the offensive, she just needed to backhand all the bullshit Trump served. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TornACL said:

Who in Trump's camp agreed to put this in front of cameras? 

Horrible decision. 

What Trump wants, Trump gets.  There's no one in his camp who can stop him if he wants to go on tv. Can you imagine Sarah Huckabee Sanders or Kellyanne Conway trying to tell him no?

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I kinda disagree.  Trump’s most ardent supporters don’t give a shit about Mexico paying for the wall, deficits, or anything involving policy really.  

What they want to see is Trump put those left coast democrats in their place.  

Pelosi didn’t need to go on the offensive, she just needed to backhand all the bullshit Trump served. 

Pelosi should go on the offensive 24/7.  It's ludicrous to define strategy in terms of its lack of effects on the unreachable.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2018 at 6:06 PM, Ghost of LL said:

I think I understand what Lobo is saying, even if I don't agree with the first half of it.

Here's the bottom line--and it's a bottom line you can see from Hatch's remarks: we've got a coalition that will continue to win in the Senate so long as there's a decent economy, and we're not going to fuck with it.

But here's the postscript: what happens when we don't have a decent economy?  And you only need to look at the bond market and the latest jobs report to see cause for concern.  

Trump has a 40% approval rating with an outstanding economy.  What is his approval rating with a poor economy?  That question is even more pointed after the 2016 realignment, when the Republican base is now made up of voters who are more sensitive to economic downturns.  It's not to say that in the post-2016 alignment Youngstown is going to go Democratic.  But it is to wonder whether those people who were so enthusiastic about voting for Trump in 2016 will be so eager to vote for him (or any Republican) in 2020 after being unemployed for 24 months.  And if those people aren't enthusiastic about voting, is there any way for the Republicans to offset the suburban middle classes who are eager to vote against the Republicans?

I think the next period of time is even more dangerous.  The Democrats are going to regain power in 2020.  And when they do, they're going to come with a justified sense of grievance and vengeance.  

The biggest task facing the next president is going to be the restoration of our norms, traditions, and institutions.  But if he saw his primary task to be ensuring that Republicans never again hold power, I would certainly understand that position.  But that position, as attractive and justified as it may be, would be very bad for our democratic form of government.

Next period?! We haven’t even escaped this nightmare scenario, and you are already saying dems will be worse. Laughable. Did you hold your nose and vote Trump or Cruz too?

Next period?! We haven’t even escaped this nightmare scenario, and you are already saying dems will be worse. Laughable. Did you hold your nose and vote Trump or Cruz too?

I imagine the notion that I voted for either Trump or Cruz is going to make some people on here laugh. It sure did me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BREAKING: An Associated Press investigation finds President Donald Trump’s daughter and son-in law stand to benefit from a program they pushed that offers massive tax breaks to developers who invest in downtrodden American areas.

I'm sure slum lord Hannity will be getting in on this action.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

WHY THE FUCK CANT SOMEONE CONCISELY ARTICULATE THE FOLLOWING QUESTION TO DOTARD:

”Mr President:  i’m going to ask you a very direct question so I would appreciate a direct response. How did we go from your campaign promise that Mexico would pay for your wall to your demand today that the American taxpayers pay for the wall or you will shut down the government?“

Because you, me, and every other reasonable person knows it was a bull shit promise from the start, and no response from him to that question would move the needle for everyone else. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

When you get a friend to ask a girl out for you and she cannot retreat fast enough...

This is fucking great. 

We saw you at a football game so decided to offer you the job on air and let you give the most awkward decline ever for the job that you were never offered but we saw you at a football game together so it seemed like maybe we should offer you the job. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We were watching the midterm results come in on CNN and suddenly, Santorum was on there. 

My spouse, who I'm sure doesn't recognize Santorum by face, immediately got a weird look on her face.

Me: "What?"

Her:  "That guy. Ugh.... look at him. He looks like he's wearing an adult diaper."

Me: "Huh??"

Her:  "Adult diaper. I'm not kidding. Like, for a fetish or something."  

True story

Edited by ChuckNorrisActionJeans
santorum'd
  • Like 2

Funny how all these republican traitors keep speaking about how great trump is yet not a single one is willing to take the most prestigious position in his administration. 

Every American in the future should have it hammered into their heads on a daily basis for the first 30 years of their lives: "words are bullshit. Believe nothing you hear. Only look at actions"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

This is fucking great. 

We saw you at a football game so decided to offer you the job on air and let you give the most awkward decline ever for the job that you were never offered but we saw you at a football game together so it seemed like maybe we should offer you the job. 

The small circle of people (certainly not friends) he can draw on started out very small. Now it's down to a golf hole. 

That Jew that managed Ivanka's wedding was pretty sharp. Tell Kush to feel him out. He was half a fag, so tell Kush, who's also half a fag himself, not to take that literally. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This showdown today again makes me long for us to have the equivalent of a weekly "Question Time," like the Brits and the Aussies. Trump would have been forced to clown himself every week since his inauguration. He would have been at the mercy of not just Pelosi and Schumer but also Schiff, Harris, Warren, and [your favorite D inquisitor here]. Shit, even old farts like Leahy would shred him like an angry terrier's chew toy. Not only would it be must-see TV, but it would also demonstrate his idiocy and inability to think on his feet and create new stars in the opposition. We'd have a clearer view of who should be running in 2020. And, like, it would like bring in some accountability, man. We shouldn't have to rely on the White House press corps for that, and our president should not be able to hide behind shills like Spicer and Huckaby Sanders. Direct combat. That's what we need. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Funny how all these republican traitors keep speaking about how great trump is yet not a single one is willing to take the most prestigious position in his administration. 

Every American in the future should have it hammered into their heads on a daily basis for the first 30 years of their lives: "words are bullshit. Believe nothing you hear. Only look at actions"

In fairness, no one credible in DC is going to say they want a job until it’s offered to them.   For example, no one publicly says they want to be the VP candidate until the presidential candidate asks them to run with them.  

The next CoS walks into too many unknowns and potentially gets pulled into a criminal conspiracy.  And what’s the upside that goes along with that.