Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

20 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Reveal hidden contents
Liucci
Staff
AG
...and all is fairly quiet, which is a good thing for the Ags.

Jimbo FIsher and Co. are in the midst of yet another strong close, flipping four prospects previously committed elsewhere over the past couple of weeks, highlighted by El Campo RB Rueben Owens. But we've known for a while that momentum in '23 hasn't come close to matching what the Ags had cooking on the recruiting front last year, That said, the Ags are likely to wind up with a top-15 class following a 5-7 season and, with a couple of late adds, could push for top-10 honors and will do so with a couple of monster signees headlining the list. From there, you'll see Fisher and his staff aggressively attack the portal from now until mid-January, which will probably feel like a second Signing Period in and of itself.

So as we sit here around 10 pm on Tuesday night and the A&M coaches tirelessly work the phones, let's take a quick look at what's still out there for tomorrow in terms of remaining targets not currently committed to the Ags.

As of tonight, I"d say there are two prospects who are legitimately worth watching, Louisiana OT Caden Jones and Alabama five-star corner Tony Mitchell.

Jones told us this week he was planning to wait and announce later in the process and sign in February, but it's one worth watching because the Ags knocked his weekend visit out of the park. Now, Caden could ultimately turn out to be a guy who signs early, keeps it quiet until his announcement, he could wait things out as originally planned or could end up signing somewhere and letting it be known tomorrow. Regardless of how, sources in College Station and Gainesville are aligned in terms of believing this one has a lot of Maroon & White momentum to it.

Tony Mitchell was a one-time A&M lean and is a longtime Alabama commitment. However, recent buzz has had Hugh Freeze thrusting himself into the mix and Auburn suddenly becoming the most-likely destination for the lockdown cover man. However, as of this evening, the Ags were still very hard at work and chipping away at a young man who has always had quite the affinity for A&M and who Jimbo and D.J. Durkin have prioritized from wire to wire. I wasn't feeling great about the Ags' chances following his weekend OV (it went well but the behind-the-scenes buzz was saying Bama and then, over the past couple of days, War Eagle) but this one has the feel of a wild ride to tomorrow's finish line. Stay tuned, as momentum here will likely flip several times between now and when Mitchell signs.

And by the way, can we retire 'FlipSZN' and 'HIM' already? Two of the most overplayed, 'look at how cool I am on social media' phrases in the recruiting industry in years and I'd love to them go away for good in 2023.

Edit to add I still feel great about A&M's chances with both Oklahoma WR Micah Tease and UNC transfer corner Tony Grimes. 

I think I hit bingo after the second paragraph, I blacked out my whole card before I was half way through.  

I guess he doesn’t care if older Aggies get wise to his shtick as long as their acceptance rate continues to look like an MLM scam. 

34 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

It’s a really odd top 15 class.  I’m sure we would have taken the top two CB’s, in their class, but I’m not sure who else other than Hicks (that may flip to Ducks) and Hill (that already flipped to us) would be a take. 

Both of the good OL are strong takes. Bertrand's a JAG.

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

final (ish) rankings:

image.png.2ee191a7015261957d4ddaba99e2fd1d.png

Rivals and ESPN are like a binary star system, except instead of statrs it’s two drooling idiots taking turns slapping each other in the parking lot of a Circle K and giggling incessantly. It’s a Hold My Beer perpetual motion machine of dipshittery. One of them inevitably shows up on a recruit ranking with a big steamer of a rank in their draws. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, Enchubben said:

It’s a really odd top 15 class.  I’m sure we would have taken the top two CB’s, in their class, but I’m not sure who else other than Hicks (that may flip to Ducks) and Hill (that already flipped to us) would be a take. 

it's really top heavy, then there is a huge gap - literally they go from a guy ranked #56 (Thomasson) and #59 (Daymion Sanford) in Texas to guys outside the top 100 in Texas, then drop to guys outside the top 150 in Texas and then maybe the biggest piece of bread in their class with Bertrand.

• 2 top 50
  • 4 top 100
  • 7 top 200

then the bottom of it falls out and you have that huge NT (151 in Texas composite, 94 DL), Bertrand (who they should have processed, #78 composite OT), York (168 in Texas, #75 LB), Johnson (153 in TX, 70 LB), Rylan Kennedy (106 in TX) and the punter they picked up - who may be great, but really bones their average (#274 in TX, #1 punter overall)

missing out on Hicks would crush their class - which is why i doubt they do - but they have a ton of guys at the top even who are weird fits or have issues...Owens is known. Bisontis took one visit (UOV) total, to A&M between July and December 9th. Brooks did the same thing but he was locked in to A&M forever and as far as I can tell never visited anywhere else. Shanahan is a weird match/fit anyway and there are huge swings in what people thought of him before he got injured. Tease is a guy who wants to play WR but was recruited as a DB by basically everyone. Then you have Reed, who I know nothing about other than he thought a Jimbo offense was better fit wise than a Lane Kiffin offense. Platt was probably a good take, was committed to Stanford for a full year+.

if you want kind of a comparison on guys Texas has taken that ranked around York/Johnson/Kennedy/big NT, Donovan Duvernay (not Devin) was #114 in Texas in 2016. Rob Cummins was #203 in 2017, Cade Brewer was #136 in same year. Sawyer Goram-Welch was #152 in Texas in 2020. Charles Wright was #131 in Texas in 2021, Max Merril was #160 in same year. Savion Red was #203 last year (funky positional stuff impacted him + late riser.)

Working Oh No GIF by Billy Budgen

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pimphand said:

So what are the numbers for the gomers the 16 signees barely offsets the 15 people leaving for the draft. They got what 62 people on scholarship?

8 “Seniors”, 3 Transferred (Myles Jones, Brian George, Andrew White Jr). 5 have yet to declare if going to NFL, graduating, transferring, or staying (Max Wright, Jalen Preston, Ainias Smith, Chris Russell, Demani Richardson)

27 players have announced portal/NFL. 16 signed LOI. Hicks makes 17

85-27+17 = 75 - potential 5 “seniors” = 70.

Need 15 minimum to add from portal/NSD2

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

8 “Seniors”, 3 Transferred (Myles Jones, Brian George, Andrew White Jr). 5 have yet to declare if going to NFL, graduating, transferring, or staying (Max Wright, Jalen Preston, Ainias Smith, Chris Russell, Demani Richardson)

27 players have announced portal/NFL. 16 signed LOI. Hicks makes 17

85-27+17 = 75 - potential 5 “seniors” = 70.

Need 15 minimum to add from portal/NSD2

So their roster will be about the same as they had when they forfeit vs Wake Forest?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2