2020 PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES: Joe Biden vs Donald Trump

Mrs Whiggins

On 9/30/2020 at 10:26 AM, Brisketexan said:

And we fight so, so, so hard to avoid admitting it.

Surely you've done something at some point in your life you're genuinely ashamed of, because it was genuinely bad -- you cheated on a partner, you stole something from someone, whatever.  If you've ever done something like that, and THEN you confessed your wrongdoing....you know how amazing, and cleansing that is.  Once it is done, you realize that you, and those you have wronged, can genuinely move forward and eventually move beyond the original wrong.

Slavery and racism are our original sins.  And they aren't just incidental/products of circumstance.  They were woven in from the very beginning; they were embedded in our founding document; even after a Civil War over the legal status of black people (slaves or free?), we then spent a century fighting to insure that, even if free, they had a status that was less than fully American, less than fully free.  These weren't bugs of our system - they were features.

ACKNOWLEDGE IT.  ADMIT IT.  CONFRONT IT.  Only once you do those things can you heal.  We are doing everything we can to PREVENT healing.  We wrap ourselves in the flag and crow about how exceptional we are, and just shout over any mention of our sin.  We do everything we can to avoid the one thing that can actually make us better: admit the wrong, and seek healing.

Truth.  Until this takes place this country will never be whole.

On 9/30/2020 at 3:15 PM, Born to Run said:

Secondly, last night galvanized me to do everything I can in the coming weeks.  I I will vote early and encourage others to do so in person, and I am signing up to be a poll monitor.  Let the magats try to intimidate people at the polls.

I'm working a polling location on election day for the first time.  Also voting early.  

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Pancho said:

' Even Secret Service is sick of his shit:

On 9/29/2020 at 9:07 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

Name one law enforcement group that supports you... Biden should have just made something up.

On 9/29/2020 at 9:09 PM, Huckleberry said:

"The Secret Service"

I win again. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is probably a best-case scenario for Biden. A virtual debate allows for a less chaotic setting, which will be good for him, as he was a little flustered last time around. And if/when Trump refuses to participate, that's just as good, as Biden is really in a run-the-clock-out situation anyway. Biden can just get on there and answer questions for 90 minutes if he wants. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

This is probably a best-case scenario for Biden. A virtual debate allows for a less chaotic setting, which will be good for him, as he was a little flustered last time around. And if/when Trump refuses to participate, that's just as good, as Biden is really in a run-the-clock-out situation anyway. Biden can just get on there and answer questions for 90 minutes if he wants. 

I’m hoping if Trump actually drops, Biden can organize with the debate producers and revert to an in person town hall. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Bateshorn said:

Let’s be honest: does anybody really want another debate?  

Old school? Sure. But that's not going to happen, so no. I was actually interested in the town hall questions from the public, but the last two debates have been more reality tv and I don't care for that. The two reality shows I watch are GBB because I enjoy baking and Planet Earth, (which isn't the same genre technically, but nature knows real.)

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Dear Lincoln Project - Ad idea

Debating policies that affect millions of people

Trump - "I'm not going to waste my time"

They have a contact form--why not send in your idea, I think it's a good one!

https://lincolnproject.us/contact/

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
add link
  • Hook 'Em 2

Trump would obviously hate a virtual debate because they would use tech to prevent interruptions. 

Of course refusing to debate is most likely a off the cuff decision from Trump. I doubt his campaigns leaders believe its a good idea for a trailing candidate to reject an opportunity to get in front of 10s of millions of voters. 

And btw, Trump refusing to go doesn't mean that Biden won't still be given an free 90 minute opportunity to talk to the American people. And it's possible that the networks are locked into showing the debate regardless of the participants. Ratings would be much lower with just one candidate but the opportunity could be priceless for Biden. My bet is that Trump participates after his handlers speak with him. 

1 hour ago, Texaspython said:

Trump needs this debate. No way he drops out.

agree. he is a whiny little baby who will be a whiny little baby all the way to the point of attending next week.

NO ONE will fault Biden for not wanting to be in the same proximately of this guy. There is already conjecture that Trump knew he had covid-19 or covid-19 symptoms during the last debate, putting Biden at risk.

Edited by yoladu

22 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Covid patient insists on being around as many people as possible. 

right! and no one would fault Trunp for saying, i am not up to a debate at all. He has fucking covid-19, right?! The American people would get it.

but he painted himself into a corner with all this "i am superman" stuff and this "rush to recovery". I think there is concern within in his campaign that his illness will be on full display during a 90 min event - one they cannot completely control the optics.

so, what can they do?! Their only tact is to say they really, really want to debate (Superman is good to go!), but that they dont agree with the rules and will opt out.

Edited by yoladu