Dedicated Stranger Things Series Thread

Baboontyme

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I can't figure out the purpose of adding Munson to the cast. It would seem that they could have had one of the gang get falsely accused of murder and go on the run. I assume that he serves some purpose (like dying) that they don't want to waste on the long term cast.

I think they're just trying to force in so-called "Satanic Panic," so they need the prerequisite metalhead ... a bunch of nerds don't really do it.

Edited by Harrison Bergeron

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Episode seven is outstanding, and probably the best episode of the series, and made sticking with the show worth it for me 

It helped that the weakest and most annoying thread of this season wasn’t in it

• Like 1

Just finished 7.  I'm glad I'm watching it, I think the production value is fantastic.  My complaint is that it's too fat imo.  

There's too much going on.  They spend too much time in the lab and there's a few too many characters.  Its lost it's charm for me.  Probably because the kids are older.

I'm probably in the minority on this.  I'll watch the second half though.  

This season is like an After School Special written after school by 6th graders. It plods. It uses the same dialogue tricks for "humor" over and over. It's a blah. A blah. What the fuck is a blah? Oh no, go go go go go! What? DRIVE!!! (Wheels screech)

The Duffer Brothers ran out of gas, evidently had enough sway to write and direct the first four episodes so they could explore just how little was left in their imaginations. 

There'll be a haunted house and a monster. Wait, that's not enough, it's tired. Okay, okay, we'll reference a lot of movies from the 70s and 80s to look like we're really being clever. But we're not clever. What? We are not clever. How can you say that? We've got a deadline, brother. A what? WRITE!!!!!!

I would have abandoned it after episode 2, but I just discovered that I opened the Hacks thread on this board when I thought it was for this shit. "Great episode 4." (All true.) I hung in there because of that. Now we're into episode 7, but I can't bail because my beloved has just enough interest to see it through.

I feel like Eleven. Trapped.

spacer.png

Let me go!

On 5/30/2022 at 4:15 PM, austingirl said:

Re: Will

Hide contents

I definitely got the “Will might be gay” vibe last season. They were much more subtle about it, but it was there. Like when he’s trying to get the other guys to play D&D and Mike gets mad and yells something like “I’m sorry you’re not interested in girls!”

Spoiler

That is definitely a viable interpretation and I rewatched last season after I vaguely heard the theory Will might be gay (haven't looked into it at all just randomly heard about it) but at the time and even in rewatch, I'm not sold on that being the best clue. That line alone could also easily apply to one kid out of the group just not being "as mature" as his group of friends. Little kids learn of "adult" things at different rates and for every kid that found his older bro's stash of playboys, there was one kid who still wanted to play with GI Joes and toy cars instead. 

No clue if the writers have said one way or the other but just saying. 

In general the episodes are long-ish but I think the last three (from the one with the song ending) to the last episode, I thought were all well done. Very suspenseful the last 5-10 minutes at least. Can't wait for the last set of episodes.

On 6/1/2022 at 10:23 AM, Pato del Muerto said:
  Hide contents

I’m trying to figure out if anyone besides the audience knows that vecna is one at this time. Doesn’t seem like a memory that ele would have, as that transformation happened on the other side of the gate. Was it part of what Nancy was seeing?  (And why was she seeing that btw?)

I think Eleven, Papa, and Nancy all know that Vecna is 1 at this juncture.  Eleven didn't know until she went deep into her mind while in the tank and trying to regain her powers.  She's reliving the past and is now realizing that she didn't kill all the kids/guards/etc in the lab, 1 did.  Then, in realizing the true potential of her powers, she "defeats" 1 in this realm, but simultaneously opens the spice/time gate into which 1 is banished.  Nancy is putting it all together with her "investigative abilities" as she's currently in a trance, but her trance is in the Upside Down, not on the right side.  She's seeing what Eleven is remembering and into what Peter/1/Vecna has become, and how it happened.  

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

88d79c237c2aa31e2ea78367176bc966.jpg

Was ready for Kate in 1985, am ready for Kate in 2022 and all years in between.  HoL  is a great album to listen all the way through every 3 or 4  months.  The Ninth Wave side  is fantastic!  

Still wish she would release a dvd/blueray/stream of the shows she did a few years back.  This is a video she did to project on a backdrop at the beginning of T9W 

• Hook 'Em 1

Finally got through them all. Christ those episodes are long. Episode 4 & 7 are pretty great. Good for Kate Bush to get some run 35+ years after that song came out. I really like the Vecna storyline. Not sure I like that once again El unintentionally caused something bad to happen. The Hopper story must be like some Rambo 2 homage where they can't let him sit in the Russian prison. Glad to see Jaqen H'ghar get a nice role in this season. A man is a prison guard. I agree with some of the above comments, the Hopper/Joyce storyline and Will, Mike, and Jonathan seems like the writers really not knowing what to do with them as they're fairly superfluous characters now. The real meat of the team is Lucas, Max, and Dustin. That said, the shootout in Joyce's house was pretty badass. Feel like Eddie is our dedicated nice character who's destined to die to move the plot along and rally our heroes when they're at their lowest point. It's a good season so far.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

Really enjoyed the season and agree with a lot of the above.

Also, didn’t realize this: 2b8dfc6e042aafd72ada7d15cf4a1225.jpg

Noticed it immediately, and thought it was a clever casting decision (given the whole nightmare/visions aspect of Vecna).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

SIAP. Stranger Things super fans noted how in season one that Will's birthday is mentioned as March 22nd.  In this season, when Will, Mike and Eleven were at the roller rink, the image from the camcorder indicated it was March 22nd.  The fans were wondering if the characters forgot it was Will's birthday ala Sixteen Candles. 

The creators admitted it was a coincidence and their mistake. They're unsure if they're going to fix the camcorder image, or just let it stay as a sad reminder that no one cares about Will.

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2022 at 9:04 PM, Mdhorn said:

Hot damn episode 4. Have a few questions like why did peeps stay in this town after the first three events, much less after one event?  Despite a few holes, I'm hooked.  

You ever read ‘It’?  As expected the book delves much further into set/setting and the history of Derry, where arguably the town town turns a blind eye to the horrors in a sad commentary on small town ‘charming on the outside, rotten to the core’.  The book is almost as much about the collective soul of the town as it is about Pennywise and the gang.  

Given ST is a loving homage to the characteristically veiled ‘spiritually feel and show in limited quantities, don’t outright tell’ horror of late 70’s to early 80’s it wouldn’t surprise me if final season implies an uncaring core of the town towards the death of children.  Then again it may just be necessary to having multiple seasons of the show.  

We are on episode 6 now of season 4, and agree the characters are too numerous and physically divergent.  Then again I like tighter scripts that leave a lot to your imagination, in the exulted vein of Jaws and Alien (which were sited by the brothers as inspiration).  However it’s still a unique show and I enjoy it, especially since we are currently in a villa in Costa Rica where the howling monkeys at night scare provide a fitting background. 

• Hook 'Em 2

LOL at all the bitching on this thread. This has been a great season so far. Very much more like a good 80's teenage horror flick which is obviously what they were going for (brilliant move with the Englund casting). 

I love the whole "there's too many different storylines going on" complaining. You're a fucking idiot if you don't think they'll all converge nicely. 

Also the trailer for the last half looks intense, but I wish I hadn't watched it. Seems a bit spoilery. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

LOL at all the bitching on this thread. This has been a great season so far. Very much more like a good 80's teenage horror flick which is obviously what they were going for (brilliant move with the Englund casting). 

I love the whole "there's too many different storylines going on" complaining. You're a fucking idiot if you don't think they'll all converge nicely. 

Also the trailer for the last half looks intense, but I wish I hadn't watched it. Seems a bit spoilery. 

8 hours ago, Viper said:

I thought the season has been great. Yeah there's a lot of different stories but the central theme of dealing with loss and resulting depression really ties them all together well. 

I've really enjoyed this season, probably as much as I enjoyed Season1.

Bitching about stuff is what surly does, but for me this show just keeps bringing it.

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

I haven't seen an episode of this show but with how much it's been shoved down my throat through advertisements, promotions, and memes that I've seen on social media I felt like I was qualified to join the discussion here. 

Hey look we got a cool guy here 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3