the trump election lawsuit thread of dominance

henrygandorf

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

Nope. Sadly, if it bleeds it leads. There will be blood and fire and bombs.

Donald Trump is doing everything he can to encourage it. But let's not impeach the fucker because it will just get everybody riled up.

I think we should probably separate violence from insane right wingers from the attempted coup by insane right wingers. The former may happen on an ongoing basis. Nobody will give a shit about the latter by the Super Bowl.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

On a side note, Jeffrey Toobin screwed up big time by jerking off in a work zoom meeting. He would have been on CNN hours per day over the last 6 weeks tracking all of the Trump lawsuits and legal options.

That's a bit presumptuous. You have no idea how gratifying that particular jerk off sesh was for him to compare it to how much he liked his job. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

It’ll be California as they are 55 votes and the second to last to vote. At 5:30 ET, California’s 55 will be added to Biden’s 247 and put him over. 

Biden will speak right after 

Yup.  California.  Biden won California by a single vote.  

You are welcome.  Glad I could help.

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

It is beyond the time for the courts to start issuing sanctions on the lawyers filing this crap. 

At least the voting tech companies are starting to go after those who are making shit up about them.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/14/media/smartmatic-fox-news-newsmax-oan/index.html

A voting technology company swept up in baseless conspiracy theories about the 2020 election said on Monday that it had sent legal notices to Fox News and two other right-wing media companies for participating in a "disinformation campaign" aimed at damaging it.

The company, Smartmatic, said that Fox News, One America News, and Newsmax have helped spread false and defamatory claims that are not supported by real evidence and could easily have been debunked with basic research.

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

So, can we find out who those 34 embarrassments are and publicly deride them?  Silly fucks.

Yes. Go to the top of page 3 to see this list of fine electors, featuring that imbecile Briscoe Cain, and remember that 34 of the 38 still today do not accept the outcome of the election. Damn, it makes me so proud to be a Texan.

https://www.archives.gov/files/electoral-college/2020/ascertainment-texas.pdf

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Yes. Go to the top of page 3 to see this list of fine electors, featuring that imbecile Briscoe Cain, and remember that 34 of the 38 still today do not accept the outcome of the election. Damn, it makes me so proud to be a Texan.

https://www.archives.gov/files/electoral-college/2020/ascertainment-texas.pdf

Edit: I have to include this snippet about their resolution today.

The Electoral College on Monday affirmed former Vice President Joe Biden’s victory in the 2020 presidential election, but not before Texas’ 38 electors delivered their votes for Donald Trump and defiantly urged the legislatures of the swing states of Pennsylvania, Georgia, Michigan and Wisconsin to overrule the will of their voters and appoint their own electors.

The call from the Texas electors came in the form of a resolution they passed 34-4, but it had no impact on the results. The four states had already cast their votes by that time, and soon after California cast its 55 votes for Biden and pushed him over the 270 number he needed to win the presidency. But the resolution continued the practice of many Texas Republicans of baselessly questioning Biden’s victory and claiming fraud.

The resolution also “condemn[ed] the lack of action by the U.S. Supreme Court” to overturn the election results. There was a brief debate among electors over whether they should keep language in the resolution denouncing members of the U.S. Supreme Court for “moral cowardice.” On Friday, the high court briskly rejected a lawsuit filed by Attorney General Ken Paxton that sought to overturn the election results and had become a vehicle for Republicans across the country to contest Biden’s victory.

One elector said the inclusion of the Supreme Court language would make Texas appear “childish, impertinent and angry.” An amendment deleting the language eventually prevailed.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

At least the voting tech companies are starting to go after those who are making shit up about them.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/14/media/smartmatic-fox-news-newsmax-oan/index.html

Don’t know much about it but seems like this company has a pretty strong case unless Fox retracts it all.

I'm going to laugh my ass off if Pence finds himself in the same dilemma that Trump has put many other Republicans in. The Parler-dwellers and Qanon folks demand that Pence "do something", whatever that is, in January. Pence must decide between doing something illegal and that literally can't be done and makes no sense, or facing the wrath of Trumpers and ruining whatever future chance he has of being POTUS.

"Pence must stand in front of congress and sing "Donald Trump Won" at the top of his lungs to the tune of the Muppets "ma na ma na" song for 24 hours. Doing that is the final Kraken gambit and will put Trump back into the White House. If he doesn't do that, he's a deep state RINO and he's dead to us!"

It seems almost inevitable that he's about to face the Truck Nutz meat grinder of Trumpland.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Don’t know much about it but seems like this company has a pretty strong case unless Fox retracts it all.

I wonder if NewsMax or OAN would be willing to spend the money on challenging it in court?  I think not.

I think all three would try and retract it in some way - I don't know that OAN and NewsMax really want an expensive fight (and potential costly loss) in court.

Fox News's. problem is that they would retract it, probably on the website and the morning and afternoon shows that not many watch, but then either Hannity or Laura will fuck it all up, or they'll have a guest on that will fuck it all up.

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 12/13/2020 at 5:17 PM, aggie08 said:

Pretty impressive. It was so well-organized and seamless across state and party lines without a single pair of loose lips. This shows such great coordination and planning, in fact, that I think these people should be running our government!

And they surgically removed Trump without losing the precious balance of power in the Senate.  Some serious precision.

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Did we ever figure out if Texas' election process changes were similar enough to those Paxton sued over that we get to call him a giant hypocrite?  I mean, even more giant than before?

Him suing Hotwheels for the extra week of EV was the leadup to this case, absolving him of hypocrisy. 

5 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Pretty bold for the Clinton's to come out of hiding just for this.  I assume Trump's DOJ was waiting outside to arrest them right? 

They sent in the clones.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

So now their plan is to have Pence do... something, on January 6? 

As far as I can tell, due to rampant disinformation and intentional ignorance of the election process, MAGA faithful are convinced that the following is feasible:

All it takes is one member of the House and one Senator to object to a state's electors, and then Pence can reject electors from states whose results are disputed, thus preventing any candidate from receiving the necessary 270 EV, meaning the presidential election gets thrown to the House in a "1 vote per state" election. Given that more states have a GOP majority than a DEM majority, Trump would win such a vote.

This ignores several important steps, mainly that Pence's role as VP/President of Senate is limited to verifying that an objection to a state's electors has been properly lodged (i..e submitted in writing by a member of both chambers.) At that point, each chamber adjourns for a maximum 2 hour debate regarding the acceptance or rejection of the objection. Then each chamber votes on whether to sustain or dismiss the objection. This vote is among the full membership, not "1 per state." Both House and Senate have to vote to sustain an objection in order to set aside the electors. Odds of that happening with a DEM house and narrow GOP Senate are 0.0%.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1