So, who takes Harris' seat?

Gil Bang

That's up to Governor Newsom. 

Article in the LA Times today about this.  It discusses all the "bold choices" he could make.  First Mexican Senator?  First Gay/Lesbian/ Trans Senator?  Another black woman to take the seat?

This Californian happens to hold a semi-favorable view of the CA Governor.  But WTF?   Here's an idea: How about the smartest motherfucker that he knows?  How about somebody that will kick ass and take names?

I'm leaning towards Katie Porter.   

Not only is it important to appoint somebody good, but a Dem Gov. also need to appoint somebody with a good chance of being re-elected. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Seriously, as a Latin American (Latin American-American?) please stop using Latinx. So, so dumb.

I cannot say I have ever used it. I heard it said a bunch during the protests I attended in DC and NYC though. If I run across someone, like a guy who stopped me here in my neighborhood to welcome me to El Barrio about 30 minutes ago who is from Mexico, I would refer to him as Mexican (Especially since that is how he referred to himself.)

I'd guess Padilla or Garcia.  Those would be the smart picks.  If he wanted to reward personal loyalty then I guess Becerra.  If he wanted to reward long careers then maybe Bass, but those last 2 are in their 60's with Bass being 67.  I think a smart choice would be a Latino (generally Mexican-American), not only making history but hopefully making inroads with a needed demographic.  All of these folks are pretty qualified with Garcia being the least experienced, but he's considered a rising star.

It should be an elder statesperson temporarily holding the position and then let the people elect whomever they want in a special election.

Also, Feinstein should step down sometime in the middle of the year, because her brain is shot.

I would love to see Ted Lieu run for one of the two future seats. He is an amazing representative. Smart legal mind with a strong sense of duty.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 2

Who are the Californians here? We probably outnumber the Texans.

Porter would be refreshing in the Senate, but that may be a wasting her talents in the House. The House will be leading reform investigations. Porter destroys witnesses with numbers that show malfeasance. How about she takes Nancy's spot and send Nancy to the Senate? 

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Seriously, as a Latin American (Latin American-American?) please stop using Latinx. So, so dumb.

As a gringo whose first girlfriend in 7th Grade was named Michelle Rodriguez, I agree on latinx  It has a sexual tension with the x at the end and that makes for poor work efficiency.

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I’ve mainly seen women use the phrase, as I assume they don’t want to be call Latino or Latinos when referring to a group. And I’m 100% certain that Hispanic men would be extremely upset if you referred to them as Latinas. I guess Latinx is supposed to bridge that divide.

or are you ok if a group of Hispanic men and women are called Latinas?

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

or are you ok if a group of Hispanic men and women are called Latinas?

I wouldn't say I'm okay with it, I would say I don't care. If that makes someone feel more represented then go for it. Do it enough and maybe they can change the accepted grammatical rules of the Spanish language. 

None of that has anything to do with how terrible the word Latinx is. Hell, just going with Latinu instead would have been so much better because it works with the language. 

Edited by Huckleberry

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I wouldn't say I'm okay with it, I would say I don't care. If that makes someone feel more represented then go for it. Do it enough and maybe they can change the accepted grammatical rules of the Spanish language. 

None of that has anything to do with how terrible the word Latinx is. Hell, just going with Latinu instead would have been so much better because it works with the language. 

You will now be called Huckleberrx.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Porter would be refreshing in the Senate, but that may be a wasting her talents in the House. The House will be leading reform investigations. Porter destroys witnesses with numbers that show malfeasance. How about she takes Nancy's spot and send Nancy to the Senate? 

168 combined years between Feinstein and Pelosi. No thank you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Agreed on Porter, plus she reps a traditionally beet-red district and I think they lose that seat if she goes to the Senate.

And I agree that it's best to start using "Latinas" universally when referring to groups of people from Latin America.

So why are we abandoning the term "Hispanic"?

I'll call someone whatever s/he wants to be called.  In Texas, very often that's "Mexican," because my experience is also that Mexicans are proud of their national origin and are happy for you to address them as such (kind of like when I'm abroad, I'm happy to be addressed as an "American," but I'd probably rather be recognized as a "Texan").  And very often in Texas, I think that term continues to be "Hispanic."  That's maybe especially true when speaking of immigrants, who you know damned well speak Spanish.

In any event, I do think it is important to appoint a Hispanic--and yes, I mean that in the sense that someone who speaks Spanish.  That's an enormous community in California that has been traditionally unrepresented.  And it is worth observing that it is a community that strayed somewhat from the Democratic Party in this election.

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

It should be an elder statesperson temporarily holding the position and then let the people elect whomever they want in a special election.

Also, Feinstein should step down sometime in the middle of the year, because her brain is shot.

I would love to see Ted Lieu run for one of the two future seats. He is an amazing representative. Smart legal mind with a strong sense of duty.

don't know much about California politics but big fan of Ted Lieu.

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'll take her seat, if you know what I mean.

(pound town)

You know--it is a mark of how old we have gotten as a board when you routinely get commentary on the hotness of the Vice President-elect, various state governors, and various secretaries of state.  Buncha goddamned oldsters on this board.

• Hook 'Em 1