Sen. Feinstein dies at age 90

Gil Bang

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

One of her "spokespeople" on NPR said she had a "deeply personal reason" for not retiring.  He then explained that this "deeply personal reason" was that she didn't know what else to do with herself.

Sounds deeply selfish to me.

fuck her, selfish cunt 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Yeah I didn't think so.

There is no Senate rule allowing for substituting a different Dem on committee during an absence (i.e., Dems wanting to move Feinstein off Judiciary temporarily and replacing her with Cardin), but allowing the minority to block a vacancy on the committee makes no sense at all.  Even if at a minimum, you put her successor on Judiciary to just rubber stamp Biden's nominees out of committee. 

There's been long absences before (Mark Kirk, Tim Johnson) but in both those cases, the Senate was not as closely divided as it is now.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

I DONT GET IT.

I don't want to work at 34, let alone 90. What do you do with yourself as a retired Senator? 

Write a book, get paid to speak, appear on TV to pontificate, lobby, spend time with your family? 

I know several personally who retired, and died within months.   At her age, I could see that being a concern.  And if that was a real concern, I don’t see it as selfish in that case.  She had certainly missed the window of retiring old but still having some life to live. 

1 hour ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Harsh, but fair.

My Father is most likely going out the same way.  Luckily he only affects a small company in a small town, and I'm pretty sure he's been relegated to a busy work type position.  Edit:  come to think of it, I'm probably never retiring either.  But I'm aiming for friendly barista and/or liftie on the mountain.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 3

Back in the Paterno scandal days, we were bullshitting about it at our poker game after he was suspended (I think in November). I made the comment that he would probably make it through the holidays, but would go tits up by the time the next spring practice rolled around. He didnt even make it out of January. What the fuck else was he going to do without the sounds of whistles and rhythmic slapping. And fuck that guy. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Also truly hope whoever her successor is, temporarily, shit cans her whole DC staff. 

Why?  They appear to have effectively run the office entirely bereft of supervision and actually performed better when she was at home recoveries from shingles.  Imagine what they could do with a senator that was cogent and alert.  

30 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I know several personally who retired, and died within months.   At her age, I could see that being a concern.  And if that was a real concern, I don’t see it as selfish in that case.  She had certainly missed the window of retiring old but still having some life to live. 

that's fine if you run a discount carpet store, still extremely selfish if you are a US senator, supreme court justice, etc

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

How is that NOT the definition of selfish? Newsflash: We all die. Work does not make one immortal.

We all know people who died shortly after retirement. They wouldn't have lived any longer if they'd continued to work. They just sacrificed time they could have spent living a more carefree existence.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

that's fine if you run a discount carpet store, still extremely selfish if you are a US senator, supreme court justice, etc

True, but counterpoint-  "extremely selfish" is essentially a prerequisite to hold those positions these days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

How is that NOT the definition of selfish? Newsflash: We all die. Work does not make one immortal.

We all know people who died shortly after retirement. They wouldn't have lived any longer if they'd continued to work. They just sacrificed time they could have spent living a more carefree existence.

Yeah, If she has resigned 6 months ago would we be adding her to the list of people that retired and dies soon after?

She was not long for this earth either way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

dont insult discount carpet store managers by associating them with the dishonest scum or the supreme court.

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Newsom promised to appoint an African American woman.  It would be hard to go against what he promised without pissing off a very important voting bloc.  He reiterated this promise back to March on MSBC

Lee - most unlikely, puts the thumb on the primary scale and pisses off Porter/Schiff supporters
Cohen/Breed - both pretty young, probably don't want to just sit in a seat for 15 months and hand it off to someone else this early in their careers.  Cohen was just elected as state controller in 2022
Bass - was just elected mayor of LA last year, so probably doesn't want to give that up already
Weber - appointed to replace Padilla as SOS when he was appointed to Harris' seat, and was elected to a full term as SOS in 2022. She's 75
Maxine Waters - idk, fuck it, she's 85 and might want to finish off her illustrious career in the Senate and ride off into retirement. 

You left out Kamala Harris :)

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

Why?  They appear to have effectively run the office entirely bereft of supervision and actually performed better when she was at home recoveries from shingles.  Imagine what they could do with a senator that was cogent and alert.  

I mean, I’ve found them very pleasant to work with. But I have a vested interest in them continuing on.  

Putting my desire to make my client happy aside: it can go either way. Some interim’s kee staff on, some don’t. Tina Smith shitcanned Al Frankens whole office like 6 weeks after swearing in .

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Fucking Boomers.  The generation of "nope, no, no fucking way we can let go of anything and pass the torch."  They're the fucking worst.

And yeah, this is a shitload more than a FN to her legacy.  It's an entire chapter, and it's a really, really bad one.  You ran for re-election for a 6 year term when you were EIGHTY FIVE FUCKING YEARS OLD.  No.  Just, NO.  LET.  THE FUCK.  GO.

At 85, I assure you that I will not be taking on a new 6-year project.  I'll be focused on popping a little blue pill and having a fun weekend with my 35 yr old mistress and my 85 year old wife, because I sure as shit don't know if I'll live to see the next weekend.  But if I DO live until that next weekend....gonna do the pill and mistress thing again.  Because you should enjoy your golden years.

My Brother in Christ--Diane Feinstein was born in 1933.  She is definitely not a Boomer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

My Brother in Christ--Diane Feinstein was born in 1933.  She is definitely not a Boomer.

The Late Silent Gen types are just as shitty in that respect.  And remember, we're Gen-X, we get to shit on EVERY other generation, because why the fuck not, what are they gonna do, fuck us over/ignore us?  Gee, how ever will we survive such treatment?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The Late Silent Gen types are just as shitty in that respect.  And remember, we're Gen-X, we get to shit on EVERY other generation, because why the fuck not, what are they gonna do, fuck us over/ignore us?  Gee, how ever will we survive such treatment?

They’ll take away your key so you have to wait outside!

• Haha 1

I worked for someone like this last year. He’s wealthy beyond his wildest dreams and yet still at 93 or so he comes into the office to pretty much just complain. If he stops working I would estimate he’d be dead within 6 months because he would have nothing left to live for. 

Mandatory retirement age should be a law for our politicians though. What age we can agree upon I don’t know, but this is a clear example of what happens when you overstay your welcome. 

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, my dad is technically Silent Gen (born in 1040), but he's got Boomer written all over him.

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Don't forget the house down the block with a beer fridge in the garage that was always open.

I never would.

Just now, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, my dad is technically Silent Gen (born in 1040), but he's got Boomer written all over him.

Wow--your dad is as old as @Armybrat?

Does he also have some cool stories about the Battle of Hastings?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

57 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Mandatory retirement age should be a law for our politicians though. 

Nah people that aren't fat are going to live longer than ever as medicine gets better and restriction leaves the ability for an ever-aging population to be unrepresented. We all know what happens when Americans feel that they're unrepresented...

image.jpeg.76d1fa50e5b78bf7ea2f5540d2e0fb3e.jpeg

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

In my ideal world, I would say that if winning an election would take you past the age of 74, you can't run.

If you were in your 20s when we landed on the moon, you shouldn’t be able to run. Feinstein was in her mid-30s. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I talked to my mother earlier today. She is 74 and while she said she liked the Senator when she was younger she felt that 80 should have been enough. Her reasoning was that she wants to see far younger people in government because the world is so vastly different now and someone Feinstein’s age cannot relate to the issues they are facing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

You mean, the outside where we stashed some dirty magazines and a coupla packs of smokes?  Okay.  We're cool with that.

We'll just start a fire in our fire ring at our secret camp in the woods, skim our stash of girlie mags, and drink the warm beers we had stashed  that we stole from someone's older brother. Might even dip a little cope. 

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

We'll just start a fire in our fire ring at our secret camp in the woods, skim our stash of girlie mags, and drink the warm beers we had stashed  that we stole from someone's older brother. Might even dip a little cope. 

That's a pretty solid afternoon.

Shit, man....I'd be down for that, like, TODAY.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Should be lower than 80, for sure.  I've seen significant cognitive decline in both of my parents from ages 70-80.  By 80 they are both shells of what they used to be.  Still functional, no dementia, etc, just nowhere near as 'with it' as they were.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Should be lower than 80, for sure.  I've seen significant cognitive decline in both of my parents from ages 70-80.  By 80 they are both shells of what they used to be.  Still functional, no dementia, etc, just nowhere near as 'with it' as they were.

I was going for the high end so as not to offend some posters. In reality, I would like 70 or maybe even 65. Not sure why retirement age doesn’t apply to politicians.