A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

6 hours ago, Red Five said:

Does he even vacation? Besides golf?

If you had to say.... who has had the more worthwhile post-presidency? Dotard, or Jimmy Carter? I think it's a coin flip. Both have done truly great things and helped many people.

WTH does he need to vacation from. He hasn't worked a day in years. Surly not when he was president. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't have kids, so I don't know how this works, but you are telling me they are charging $2500 for a spot to pick up and drop off your kid?

Well, what you have to realize is that lil Parker, Emma, Kendall, and Trevor get chauffered to school every day.  EVERY DAY, not rainy days, not cold days, not extreme heat days.  Every. Fucking.  Day.

Riding bikes, walking, and carpooling are so gauche and plebeian.

And this means that there are astonishing lines for pickup and dropoff of kids every day.  It's a royal fucking pain in the ass for surrounding neighborhoods, too.

So, going to the head of the line in your Range Rover or S-Class is just more of what you and your spawn deserve.  Or really, what your nanny and your spawn deserve, and nanny probably doesn't drive a luxobarge.

Searching for a new house, I crossed off anything within a block of a school for this reason (collateral traffic becomes fubar), also parks.  My realtor asked me if I was a sex offender, jokingly. 

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

They auction a whole bunch of other shit and put the money raised back into the school.  I don’t pay a whole lot of attention to what things sell for, because I’m not bidding, but the parents have a lot of disposable income and don’t seem to mind spending it to make their kids school a better place.  The wife took a kid and three of their friends out bowling and to a pizza place one year and that went for $1500.

And that's fine for an underfunded public school, yes even in a ritzy hood, the public schools are probably scraping for most pennies because of equalization.

Doing it at a private school is kinda nasty.  Id think one of the premises/advantages of a private school is that the exorbitant tuition keeps things from being underfunded so parents don't have to donate school supplies and such.  Certainly to pay teacher salaries and bonuses.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/13/2023 at 6:55 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Searching for a new house, I crossed off anything within a block of a school for this reason (collateral traffic becomes fubar), also parks.  My realtor asked me if I was a sex offender, jokingly. 

The awkward part was when you answered "yes," not jokingly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Let’s not forget, Dude, that 45 was ineffectual. He is a ROUS in the Swamp.

To be fair, Foxconn is an incredibly self-interested corporation.  Anyone that makes any deal dependent on Foxconn's good faith or desire to do anything for any reason other that profit, does so at their peril.

That's like Trump making a deal with Trump. It's a self-fucking ouroboros.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

To be fair, Foxconn is an incredibly self-interested corporation.  Anyone that makes any deal dependent on Foxconn's good faith or desire to do anything for any reason other that profit, does so at their peril.

image.thumb.png.972020bc283e55f52b444416820c6348.png

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Look I am a self important self aggrandizing member of the protectionist Import Substitution wing, IS can be a massive failure when done wrong, making a monitor panel factory in Wisconsin, is a failure, you are wasting good money for electoral propaganda, this is terrible IS.

The CHIPS act on the other hand is not, this is smart IS because it identifies a gargantuan blindspot (bleeding edge node lithography) AND the only place this is manufactured is Taiwan a country that can be invaded or blockaded.

Intel, TSMC, Foxconn et al are the greedy same, the difference is the incompetent orange leadership at top that wanted a photo op holding a golden shovel.

Edited by linux
  • Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, linux said:

Look I am a self important self aggrandizing member of the protectionist Import Substitution wing, IS can be a massive failure when done wrong, making a monitor panel factory in Wisconsin, is a failure, you are wasting good money for electoral propaganda, this is terrible IS.

The CHIPS act on the other hand is not, this is smart IS because it identifies a gargantuan blindspot (bleeding edge node lithography) AND the only place this is manufactured is Taiwan a country that can be invaded or blockaded.

Intel, TSMC, Foxconn et al are the greedy same, the difference is the incompetent orange leadership at top that wanted a photo op holding a golden shovel.

I agree about the CHIPs act being a great and important piece of legislation.  Possibly the most significant of its kind in I don't know how long.

And, in the sense that I mentioned, corporations are more similar than dissimilar.  But I and my clients have had dealings with both TMSC and Foxconn, not Intel, but Intel's domestic competitors, e.g TI, AMD, others.

And Foxconn, at least as of about 10 years ago, was a whole order of magnitude worse.  One contributing factor to all of this, though, is the Asian resistance to being bound by a contract.  As a general proposition, they see contracts as commitments to ongoing negotiations rather than a culmination of ongoing negotiations in a final commitment that defines the obligations of the parties for a period of time.

So, Asians tend to be kind of irritating in their desire to renegotiate everything as soon as something becomes temporarily unfavorable.

Foxconn, though, takes that to a whole nother level.  They generally have few qualms about just walking away from a commitment if it is no longer in their best interest.  And their best interest is extremely focused solely on the bottom line.  They make American corporations look like absolute pikers in that regard.

And, one reason they are able to get away with it is that Chinese, even Taiwanese entities, are often able to insulate themselves from consequences of the American legal system.  Japan, Inc. was similar several decades ago, but decided it was in their best interests long term to participate in the legal system of their best customers.  China Inc. is slowly coming around, to some degree, but has a long way to go.

I made that post, and this one, out of a lack of respect for Foxconn's business ethics, moreso than any attempt to defend Trump.  But I verily believe that anyone that tries to make a deal like that with Foxconn will regret it.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

image.thumb.png.972020bc283e55f52b444416820c6348.png

You know, one of the side issues I've enjoyed watching the most is how the same subset of people loves to vote for GQP candidates because "ThY're sUccESSful aT buSsinnEsS!"....and then those candidates prove over, and over, and over, and over....to be FUCKING TERRIBLE AT BUSINESS.

It's right up there with "I vote GQP because I'm a deficit hawk."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, linux said:

Interesting, I have always wondered why TSMC has been on schedule in Arizona, it must be well written legislation and the enormous amount of money.

My theory is this.  As you may be aware, although ROC is hostilely independent of PRC, a lot of Taiwanese people still have very strong connections, political and otherwise, to PRC.  Hon Hai Precision Industries, Ltd., Foxconn's real name, is actually probably more PRC Chinese than ROC Chinese, although it is nominally a ROC entity.  And thus more resistant to "western ways."  Foxconn has long had many or most of its facilities in "mainland China" and places like Vietnam, etc.

TSMC is a more organically Taiwanese company than Foxconn as an outgrowth of ITRI, the ROC scientific research organization akin to DARPA..  So it is a bit more Western in its orientation from the get go.  Although it has one facility in PRC, it was for a time pretty exclusively Taiwanese.

In the interest of factual accuracy, Foxconn was founded in 1974 and was probably pretty organically ROC at that time, but by the time TSMC came along, had already opened its first facility in PRC, in 1988, quite some time before PRC "opened itself" seriously to quasi-capitalistic business.

TSMC was heavily sponsored or subsidized by the ROC government and so wasn't having any sort of sweetheart deals with PRC.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I don't necessarily believe this (it's too dangerous), but seems related.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/04/gop-republicans-2024-election-biden-trump/673856/

The Coming Biden Blowout

Republicans thought about running without Trump in 2024—but lost their nerve. They’re heading for electoral disaster again.

25 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

And half of them probably won't vote, so it'll be close, because fuck this country. Also, this says Americans, not republicans, so that means 36% of this country is still supportive of, or indifferent to, everything this fuck stain has done to destroy this country. That's somewhere close to Biden's approval rating that has hovered just aboute 40%. It's why he's still leading bigly in the primary, because 99% of that 36% are registered republicans, and more than 2/3s of American's are still supportive of or okay with him in general. It's disgusting. In any other version of the simulation, he'd have a handful of whackos supporting him, and everyone else would have moved on. It's just so infuriating we still have to deal with him in any context other than him going to fucking jail or offing himself. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

In any other version of the simulation, he'd have a handful of whackos supporting him, and everyone else would have moved on.

His support would be a few wackos, and the people who only recognize his name from his previous life and don't pay any attention at all to politics. It should top out at around 10%, which is about what I imagine the support is currently for things like AIDS and Barry Switzer. 

On 8/13/2023 at 12:29 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Churches do it too 

Yes a few years ago I was at a church fundraiser and they auctioned off your own parking space for Sunday. But nobody bid on it, because they were waiting for the next auction, which was for an AR-15.

• Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

On 8/13/2023 at 11:24 AM, Brisketexan said:

Bingo.
Same thing that happened when “student loans” were massively expanded. Even if it has the best of intentions, the laws of economics trump: massively increase the money supply, prices go up accordingly.
Of course, in the case of vouchers, the goal is to create a rigid caste system: those who can afford to educate their kids will raise educated children. Those who cannot will raise fungible wage slaves. This isn’t about giving poor families a choice (and it never has been). It’s about extinguishing all public education and all educational opportunities for the “out groups.”

Another way to put it. If poor people are given vouchers to afford Private School, the private school will raise tuition so they can't afford Private School. The whole purpose of Private School is not to get a better education (although that's the outward rationalization), it's solely designed to keep rich kids away from poor kids. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Another way to put it. If poor people are given vouchers to afford Private School, the private school will raise tuition so they can't afford Private School. The whole purpose of Private School is not to get a better education (although that's the outward rationalization), it's solely designed to keep rich kids away from poor kids. 

As someone who went to private schools, you succinctly stated the reason my wife and I sent our children to public schools. 

Edited to say our first daughter just received her UT diploma, and our youngest started her UT education yesterday.

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

As someone who went to private schools, you succinctly stated the reason my wife and I sent our children to public schools. 

Edited to say our first daughter just received her UT diploma, and our youngest started her UT education yesterday.

You need to edit to add pics, puto.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Dipshits still haven't figured out this was hacked, or just don't care.  Or can't do anything about it I guess.  I should send this to all my magat relatives.

https://patriotlegaldefensefund.com/

Perhaps it was a troll/ruse all along... ran it with the MAGA information for just long enough to then make the heel turn hilarious.

(or "heel-larious", if you will)

On 8/8/2023 at 11:38 PM, Degenerate Gardner said:

A. France wouldn’t want him

LePen and her Nouveau Vichy would hang out with him and laugh at his jokes. For a while. They're still French, so at some point they'd hear him say some more stupid shit and then they'd have to stop, argue, and analyze it all, y'know, for fun. Trump's mind would stand up under the pressure like a Jenga game being played by raccoons.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Like trying to make an HBO comedy series about 9/11.

"Okay, hear me out...It's called 'Towers' , and it follows the zainey antics of two young Lehman Bros IT analysts trying to make it back to their homes in Brooklyn after the towers fall. Kind of a Harold & Kumar survive 9/11 kind of thing...well, whadda you think??" 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

“In this episode, Derek tells everyone about his high school athletics past, and over-sharing his ‘successful high jump’ story leads to many misunderstandings.  Hilarity ensues. “

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

“In this episode, Derek tells everyone about his high school athletics past, and over-sharing his ‘successful high jump’ story leads to many misunderstandings.  Hilarity ensues. “

"And this other one, we see a flashback mad cap episode to how Maddie over slept, spilled coffee on herself at the cafe and was late to work so she wasn't in the building when the 1st plane hit.  Hilarity also ensues." 

9 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

LePen and her Nouveau Vichy would hang out with him and laugh at his jokes. For a while. They're still French, so at some point they'd hear him say some more stupid shit and then they'd have to stop, argue, and analyze it all, y'know, for fun. Trump's mind would stand up under the pressure like a Jenga game being played by raccoons.

if he declares himself the successor to Jerry Lewis, I believe they will ignore reality and declare him to be a genius and a national treasure. Every pathology will be seen as satire. 

• Drool 1

13 hours ago, Bookman said:

When HBO does the "Trump" comedy series, how many seasons is it going to be? All these bizarre characters, and we are living it in real time.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

It needs to be a Coen Brothers movie.  A political version of "Raising Arizona" with all of its crime, absurdity and stupidity and the 2020 election being the kidnapped baby.

Except Anton Chigurh makes a cameo at the end to kill everyone.

• Hook 'Em 3

I can't bear to read this thread, because the thought of this jackass potentially assuming the Presidency again makes me ill to my stomach. But, with all of the indictments of the last several months, but him still leading in the polls (which is unfathomable to me), is he really going to win the nomination, and potentially the Presidency?