A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

So now he’ll sue against this under a different legal point and get it delayed another year while it goes through appeals.

No, Trump is out of bullets on this issue.

It still leaves some wiggle room for his minions to claim executive privilege, but less than if the decision had been more arguably based on the PRA.

Also, it kind of sets them up for criminal contempt.  SCOTUS endorsed what the DC Circuit said that Trump, and anyone else, is going to need to make a specific, document-by-document (or question-by-question) assertion of executive privilege, like everyone else does when they assert a privilege.  Actually, pretty bad lawyering by team trump.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

No, Trump is out of bullets on this issue.

It still leaves some wiggle room for his minions to claim executive privilege, but less than if the decision had been more arguably based on the PRA.

Also, it kind of sets them up for criminal contempt.  SCOTUS endorsed what the DC Circuit said that Trump, and anyone else, is going to need to make a specific, document-by-document (or question-by-question) assertion of executive privilege, like everyone else does when they assert a privilege.  Actually, pretty bad lawyering by team trump.

Thanks for your ongoing insight into the legal aspects...it is very much appreciated for a non-lawyer.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Actually, pretty bad lawyering by team trump.

So, is this because his lawyers are just plain bad, or is it because they have no case and are just throwing shit at the walls because their client is screaming at them to "do something"?

you mention criminal contempt-- does the answer to my question matter in regards to criminal contempt, and is it the lawyers or the clients, or both, who are subject to it?

I appreciate your responses.

4 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

So, is this because his lawyers are just plain bad, or is it because they have no case and are just throwing shit at the walls because their client is screaming at them to "do something"?

you mention criminal contempt-- does the answer to my question matter in regards to criminal contempt, and is it the lawyers or the clients, or both, who are subject to it?

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

30 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

He has shitty lawyers who have no case. It’s a bad combo. It’s only purpose is to delay and hope for a fraud like Clarence Thomas to assist with that delay. Didn’t work. 

The lawyers wont be held in criminal contempt. They could face monetary sanctions for filling a frivolous lawsuit but don’t see it happening here. Trumps criminal behavior as president is unprecedented so the lawyers can always argue that since it’s not well settled law it’s not subject to them being sanctioned.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

“You see the mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” - Donald Trump, Sep 28, 2016

"you're taking that statement out of context" and/or "fake news, Trump never said that"

-100% of Republicans 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The secret meetings were apparently known by only a small number of aides, the sources said. Grisham recounted that they were mostly scheduled by Trump’s chief of staff, Mark Meadows

Mark Meadows is such a shady character. I haven’t seen this posted already, if it has been then I missed it. But I was watching Nicolle Wallace last week and she had audio of an interview Mark Meadows gave to a radio station in his district a week after the insurrection where he said Trump admitted he bore some responsibility for the attack. Meadows also said he discussed censure with Steny Hoyer. I grabbed a couple of the quotes and had a link to audio of the one about censure from Nicolle’s show but apparently I didn’t save it and can’t find it now.

C49E3714-383F-499D-93FA-14B130F7134F.thumb.png.e90c77bff0e879eff7a8443b30b8e4a7.png

815C1037-7C3A-4690-AA59-C71C1B84876F.thumb.png.b010f34196c47da66e52396f209f5a92.png

I did find this which has audio of the first quote, and if you follow the link to the CNN website you can listen to the full interview:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/14/politics/kfile-kevin-mccarthy-donald-trump-january-6/index.html

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

In other news, I think Osama bin Laden bears some responsibility for 9/11. 

Fify. He was the ideological leader and it was his dream that the attackers were trying to fulfill. But many in the organization itself weren’t involved and didn’t know about it. Some of them didn’t even approve. But if they wanted to stay in the organization then they had to remain dedicated to their leader. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Probably a bit of both.  When you assert attorney-client privilege over documents, you have to create a "privilege log," which is a listing of each document by date, general subject and to/from/cc sufficient that an opponent or the court can make a reasonable evaluation of the claim of privilege.  Apparently, the Biden DOJ did such a detailed evaluation of each document requested, Trump did not counter with anything other than general assertions.  Probably because they didn't have much else, but they also probably should have taken a stab at it.

For criminal contempt, they are going to rely on "advice of counsel."  But, in almost all circumstances, when you invoke a privilege, you must show up to court or the deposition, or whatever it is, and invoke it on a question-by-question basis.  You just cannot say "everything you want is privileged, fuck off."  A party that tries that in a lawsuit is going to get sanctioned, even if it's bad advice from the lawyers that gets them there.  I'm not quite sure how that goes down in a criminal prosecution, but it surely can't bode well for them. For criminal contempt, its the witness on the hook, not the lawyers, but at some point, the bad advice of the lawyers is going to get imputed to the client/witness.  Plus, it may come out that the lawyers advised against wholly telling the Committee to fuck off.  When you invoke advice of counsel as a defense, you pretty much waive attorney-client privilege as to the contents of that advice.

So this is fun.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2022/01/20/meshawn-maddock-donald-trump-fake-electors-cnn-audio/6599607001/

Michigan Republican Party Co-Chair Meshawn Maddock said that the Trump presidential campaign directed Republicans in Michigan to seat fake GOP Electoral College delegates, according to audio obtained by CNN.

"We fought to seat the electors. The Trump campaign asked us to do that. I'm under a lot of scrutiny for that today," Maddock is heard saying in the audio reportedly recorded at a conservative gathering last week, according to CNN. In the audio, Maddock does not say whether she personally communicated with officials from the Trump campaign. 

Maddock did not immediately provide a comment to the Free Press. The Michigan Republican Party also did not immediately respond to emails. 

The plan was part of a quixotic effort to overturn the election in Michigan to hand the state to Trump. Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel and her team investigated the acts for possible election fraud charges, recently referring the matter to federal prosecutors.

On the day in 2020 that Michigan's presidential electors met to award the state's 16 Electoral College votes to Joe Biden — who won the state by more than 154,000 votes — Republicans, including Maddock tried to enter the state Capitol to convene a false slate of GOP electors. Maddock's husband, state Rep. Matt Maddock, R-Milford, also was present. 

Law enforcement blocked the group from entering. But that did not stop the overall effort. Meshawn Maddock and 15 other Republicans signed a document falsely claiming Trump's victory in the state.

That document was sent to the the office of Vice President Mike Pence, the Michigan Secretary of State, the National Archivist and the chief judge of the western district of Michigan, Nessel said earlier this week.

The document indicates that all but two Republicans nominated to cast Michigan’s Electoral College votes had Trump won the state, signed their names. Terri Lynn Land and Gerald Wall — two Republican nominees — did not sign. Instead the document includes the signatures of James Renner and Ken Thompson.

The archivist rejected the document, notifying Nessel and others in the process. The documents also are part of the U.S. House's broad January 6 commission inquiry. 

Nessel's office said her office has been investigating the signatories' actions and that she "absolutely" had enough evidence to bring state charges, but referred the matter to federal prosecutors because she said the effort in Michigan appears to have been part of a multistate conspiracy to overturn the election. 

"...Our hope is that the federal authorities and the Department of Justice and United States Attorney General Merrick Garland will take this in coordination with all the other information they’ve received and make an evaluation as to what charges these individuals might (face)," Nessel said. 

Recently, the congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol broadly cited efforts by Trump campaign attorney Rudy Giuliani to influence legislators in Michigan and elsewhere. The committee references his attempts in Michigan and other states; he appeared in Lansing in 2020 during a lengthy hearing where he and others presented a litany of false statements about the election. 

In the Maddock audio recording, she references her husband and says he "fought for a team of people to come and testify in front of the committee." She doesn't reference which committee, but is likely referring to the hearing with Giuliani and others. 

The Maddocks' efforts to meddle in the election didn't end in Michigan.

Rep. Maddock was among the 15 Republican state lawmakers in the House who sought to join the U.S. Supreme Court lawsuit to overturn the election in Michigan and other battleground states. And Meshawn Maddock helped organize buses from the state to head to Washington, D.C. on Jan. 6 when Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol to stop Congress from certifying the 2020 presidential election.

A video from the Right Side Broadcasting network shows the Maddocks speaking at a rally in the nation’s capital the day before the deadly insurrection. "We never stop fighting," Meshawn Maddock said. She did not expressly advocate entering the Capitol by force.

Clara Hendrickson fact-checks Michigan issues and politics as a corps member with Report for America, an initiative of The GroundTruth Project. Make a tax-deductible contribution to support her work at bit.ly/freepRFA. Contact her at chendrickson@freepress.com or 313-296-5743. Follow her on Twitter @clarajanehen.

Michigan GOP co-chair Meshawn Maddock claps as members of the Kalamazoo County Republicans meet at Traveler's Cafe and Pub in Portage during a luncheon on June 10, 2021. The keynote speaker of the event was Maddock.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is yet another instance of blatant anti-democratic, anti-american, SEDITION that will just be shrugged off by the vast majority of Americans.  The Republican Party are traitors to this nation and its ideals.  It is that simple.

ETA: Trump and the others who were the high up planners of this should be hung.  Not fined, not imprisoned, hung.

It is way beyond time to treat the Republican Party as the traitors that they are. The nazi party is illegal in Germany. The Republican Party should be illegal here. After the leaders are tried and hung, the rest can beak off and form some other form of Conservative party that does not intend to overthrow American democracy.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Mark Meadows is such a shady character. I haven’t seen this posted already, if it has been then I missed it. But I was watching Nicolle Wallace last week and she had audio of an interview Mark Meadows gave to a radio station in his district a week after the insurrection where he said Trump admitted he bore some responsibility for the attack. Meadows also said he discussed censure with Steny Hoyer. I grabbed a couple of the quotes and had a link to audio of the one about censure from Nicolle’s show but apparently I didn’t save it and can’t find it now.

C49E3714-383F-499D-93FA-14B130F7134F.thumb.png.e90c77bff0e879eff7a8443b30b8e4a7.png

815C1037-7C3A-4690-AA59-C71C1B84876F.thumb.png.b010f34196c47da66e52396f209f5a92.png

I did find this which has audio of the first quote, and if you follow the link to the CNN website you can listen to the full interview:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/14/politics/kfile-kevin-mccarthy-donald-trump-january-6/index.html

meadows, mccarthy, potato, tomato. 

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is yet another instance of blatant anti-democratic, anti-american, SEDITION that will just be shrugged off by the vast majority of Americans.  The Republican Party are traitors to this nation and its ideals.  It is that simple.

ETA: Trump and the others who were the high up planners of this should be hung.  Not fined, not imprisoned, hung.

hanged. 

separately, after hearing the news about the scotus ruling re: the archives, i cannot fucking wait to hear about all the outtakes from his rose garden video message on 1/6.

can-not-fuck-ing-bart-scott-wait. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement