2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

It feels like so long since we've seen a good cookie cake in a picture

https://247sports.com/player/marcus-haskins-46097594/

Damn, app state knows how to seal the deal. Skittles+starburst+cookie cake = lock

Nobody is topping Charlie's football cake though.  

Edited by Bevo14

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

We really do need a LB, I was amazed we didn't go after that Clemson LB that portaled early and passed on the UNLV kid. I am sure there will be more in the coming weeks, but it would make me feel much better having another guy in that room for the spring.  

Just like we didn’t pass on brown, some of these guys just aren’t interested in coming to texas for whatever reason. We’ll find one or two who are. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - Trash Out, Treasure In
29 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I feel like there was a better way of saying the dude has a couple kids that sounds a lot less creepy. 

21 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

No shit. It sounds like the guy hangs around the mall arcade with one pocket full of quarters and the other full of rufies.

To these points, the player is like 21 or 22 years old and it is the year 2022. No one gives a shit, just say he's got some kids he wants to stay close to in Michigan. Whoever wrote that probably wears a monocle while typing. 

On 1/6/2022 at 12:09 PM, SimkinsMan said:

The portal combined with NIL is pouring gasoline onto an NCAA house already on fire. I don't think anyone knows where college football is headed, and we probably won't know for a few years.

I’ve thought this very thing. I’d like something like an NIL freshman salary cap combined with the NCAA actually enforcing under-the-table violations (yeah, right…lol). Most programs can’t afford to bid ridiculous amounts for blue chip recruits while simultaneously satisfying the 3 stars who end up playing like blue chips. Those guys will just hit the portal as juniors to get what they could have gotten as freshmen.

It bugs me to see unproven hs kids making more than proven college players, just like it bugged me to see high NFL draft picks getting more than productive veterans who were stuck in their first contract. Injuries kept lots of those guys from ever seeing a big second contract.

As an Old, I will miss a small school being able to compete every now and then with the bigger schools.

Hell, personally, I still miss the SWC.  Glad to get Arky back btw.

I just don't see things going backwards and players do deserve to be compensated.

It's also going to be impossible to regulate everything to be fair to every kid.

Given that, it seems like a roughly free market should do the best job at allocating the $$$ over time.  Sure it will miss on some and over compensate others, but what scheme would legitimately do better??

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

It feels like so long since we've seen a good cookie cake in a picture

https://247sports.com/player/marcus-haskins-46097594/

I can identify that as the Marriott Courtyard in Boone.

I'd need better pix of the cookie to identify which of the three stoner cookies delivered until 3am shops it is from. But with it being decorated it is most likely from a grocery store instead.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

55 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’ve thought this very thing. I’d like something like an NIL freshman salary cap combined with the NCAA actually enforcing under-the-table violations (yeah, right…lol). Most programs can’t afford to bid ridiculous amounts for blue chip recruits while simultaneously satisfying the 3 stars who end up playing like blue chips. Those guys will just hit the portal as juniors to get what they could have gotten as freshmen.

It bugs me to see unproven hs kids making more than proven college players, just like it bugged me to see high NFL draft picks getting more than productive veterans who were stuck in their first contract. Injuries kept lots of those guys from ever seeing a big second contract.

The institutions are not paying the players and it is boosters that are paying through LLCs. I understand trade unions in the past have kept folks out of industries unless they are part of the union. Yet, I do not see how a union would work here to enforce any caps. So those with more knowledge of unions, how would it work or can it work?

I personally think let the market rule with some agreed upon "Portal Period" so that institutions can plan but I would be interested to find out how someone can envision a union working.

4 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

The institutions are not paying the players and it is boosters that are paying through LLCs. I understand trade unions in the past have kept folks out of industries unless they are part of the union. Yet, I do not see how a union would work here to enforce any caps. So those with more knowledge of unions, how would it work or can it work?

I personally think let the market rule with some agreed upon "Portal Period" so that institutions can plan but I would be interested to find out how someone can envision a union working.

I understand what you’re saying, and I don’t literally mean that schools are paying and can therefore be restricted. I don’t know how this could be worked out. I just think it will be a mess until someone does think of something. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

To these points, the player is like 21 or 22 years old and it is the year 2022. No one gives a shit, just say he's got some kids he wants to stay close to in Michigan. Whoever wrote that probably wears a monocle while typing. 

Exactly.   Also, a  LB who obviously doesn't shoot blanks??   We can only image....

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

That room is fucking terrifying.  The red tub probably hides the blood from extracting a kidney or two.

We were getting our Boone house on the market and the wife needed WiFi and pet friendly so she could remote work while I cleared the house to put it on the market.  I checked in and didn't say anything to see how she reacted.  Needless to say there was no angle to Zoom call from that didn't show that.  At the desk changing rooms, 20 year old female clerk, 'So, not that kind of stay, huh?' 

• Haha 5

21 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Drumm on Casey Thompson

*** Spoke with Casey Thompson yesterday and today. Yesterday, he was on a "self-guided" tour -- with it being a dead period and coaches out of town -- he wanted to see Nebraska in person cause he had never seen it before. Said he really liked what he could see. Obviously, didn't get to see the insides of the facilities or anything with no one around and the dead period, but was still impressed with how close all of the facilities laid out in Lincoln.

He didn't talk with Nebraska in the last 24-hours or OU but said they would talk with both today and that OU has "been real. They told me Dillon [Gabriel] knows the system, so he would have a leg up. Still, that we would do 50/50 reps and the best man would win if I chose Oklahoma. I really like OU and they seem to want to take me if I decide that."

I think Nebraska is the leader and have said that for a few weeks now. I think he will do a few closing Zoom's with his final programs and then decide. CT is in a win-win situation with his choices, so either one is good for him.

He also said a decision will happen "soon."

So, now we wait.

I mean, picturing him walking around a cold ass campus and looking in the windows of locked buildings is fucking sad.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-Belmont thinks the Sanders smoke bomb from Bama to Austin is done. 

I guess that's why IT actually named him. That'd be a great get at imo our biggest position of need.

Actually makes some sense for him too - he's behind Dallas Turner (Fr) and Will Anderson (So) on the depth chart so likely won't be starting next year either at Bama.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I guess that's why IT actually named him. That'd be a great get at imo our biggest position of need.

Actually makes some sense for him too - he's behind Dallas Turner (Fr) and Will Anderson (So) on the depth chart so likely won't be starting next year either at Bama.

That would be manna from heaven.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Lol Drew Sanders would instantly become the best player on our Defense. Bama folks are salty that he hasn’t been able to play much this year, he’s a beast, he’s super versatile, and he’s a legit pass rusher. 

He played a ton early in the year, with mixed results. I thought his playing time dropped due to nursing an injury? Or, Did he straight lose his spot? I could see him losing time for poor tackling.

Edited by pacman

Big 5th year kid, pretty highly rated coming out of Aledo.  Played in 39 games.  11 starts, including 4 last year.

Listed at 6-6, 370.  Doesn't seem to have played tackle at UM.  His UM roster bio:

At Michigan
• Three-year letterman (2018-19-20)
• Appeared in 39 career games, with eight starts at left guard and three at right guard

Fifth-year Senior (2021)
• Started at right guard against Western Michigan (Sept. 4), Northwestern (Oct. 23), at Nebraska (Oct. 9)
• Played snaps at right guard against Washington (Sept.11), Rutgers (Sept. 25)
• Earned snaps at left guard against Northern Illinois (Sept. 18), at Wisconsin (Oct. 2)
• Special teams contributor against Indiana (Nov. 6), Ohio State (Nov. 27), at Michigan State (Oct. 30), at Penn State (Nov. 13)
• Started at left guard and played on special teams at Maryland (Nov. 20)
• Played snaps at right guard against Iowa in the Big Ten Championship Game (Dec. 4)

Senior (2020)
• Started all six games at left guard and also played on special teams to earn his third varsity letter
• Started at left guard against Michigan State (Oct. 31), Wisconsin (Nov. 14), Penn State (Nov. 28), at Minnesota (Oct. 24), at Indiana (Nov. 7), at Rutgers (Nov. 21)
• Played both guard spots against Penn State (Nov. 28)

Junior (2019)
• Appeared in 12 games, playing along the offensive line in four and contributing on special teams in 12 to earn his second varsity letter
• Played left guard and also contributed on special teams against Middle Tennessee State (Aug. 31), Notre Dame (Oct. 26), and against Alabama in the Vrbo Citrus Bowl (Jan. 1)
• Contributed on special teams against Army (Sept. 7), Iowa (Oct. 5), Michigan State (Nov. 16), Ohio State (Nov. 30), at Illinois (Oct. 12), at Penn State (Oct. 19) at Maryland (Nov. 2), and at Indiana (Nov. 23)
• Played right guard and contributed on special teams against Rutgers (Sept. 28)

Sophomore (2018)
• Appeared in nine games, played left guard in four and special teams in six to earn his first varsity letter
• Academic All-Big Ten honoree
• Played left guard in his debut along the offensive line against Western Michigan (Sept. 😎
• Played snaps at left guard and on special teams against Nebraska (Sept. 22), Maryland (Oct. 6), and Penn State (Nov. 3)
• Contributed on special teams against Notre Dame (Sept. 1), Western Michigan (Sept. 8), SMU (Sept. 15), Northwestern (Sept. 29), Wisconsin (Oct. 13), at Michigan State (Oct. 20) 

Freshman (2017)
• Did not see game action 

Prep
• Attended Aledo High School (2017) coached by Steve Wood
• Led Aledo to the 2016 Texas Division II Class 5A State Championship
• As a senior, led an offensive line that helped the offense produce 3,851 yards through the air and 4,656 yards on the ground, blocking for two 1,000-yard rushers, in 16 games
• In six playoff games, Aledo rushed for 1,698 yards, averaging 7.5 yards per carry, as well as throwing for 1165 yards

Honors and Rankings
• ESPN four-star prospect, ranked as the No. 137 prospect nationally and No. 14 at offensive tackle
• Rivals four-star recruit, rated as the No. 118 overall player and the No. 14 prospect in Texas
• 247.com four-star prospect, rated as the No. 98 player nationally and the No. 14 prospect at offensive tackle
• PrepStar four-star recruit and rated as the No. 124 player nationally
• Played in the 2017 U.S. Army All-American Bowl
• Played in the inaugural Polynesian Bowl on Jan. 22, 2017
• 2015 and 2016 Texas Class 5A Second-Team All-State
• Member of the PrepStar Top 150 Dream Team
• Named USA Today All-USA Texas first-team as a senior
• Selected to the Class 5A All-State second-team in 2016
• Named to the All-Inland first team as a junior in California

Personal
• Enrolled in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts, majoring in American Culture

Edited by Getafix
Happy now, Gil Bang?? :-)

Agree that if we could get Drew Sanders, that'd be huge. 

Then we just need someone to step up with a big NIL deal for Billy Bowman's softball playing girlfriend.  I'd like to see what he could do at WR here, given that was supposedly part of the allure (along with the girlfriend) to going with OU.   I saw those 2 and Ja'Tavion play together for Denton Ryan in a game against a friend's kid.  They demolished them like 80 to negative 12.  It was insane.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)