Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

So, I went down a rabbit hole on the history of gun laws and came across this analysis, based on new research that's been made possible through the digitization of legal archives. In this, they've uncovered plenty of laws that show before and after the revolution a good number of laws that were passed/enforced during the times of the founding fathers and throughout US history.

I know most of you know this, but the absolutist 2nd amendment stance is only a modern construct. At any rate, I thought I'd post a link to it in case anyone was curious enough to go down the same rabbit hole to see historical gun restriction examples.

https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=4825&context=lcp

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I am aware. Are you under the impression there is not a group making a mockery of it?  The $1 bail discussion on this board out front should have shown you. 

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/harris-county-1-dollar-bond/285-83ad89bb-0b37-4bbc-b069-9877af01c46f

He was placed on house arrest and given other bond conditions. Those are quite frequently more effective in preventing recidivsm than simple monetary bond (especially since despite what the mouthbreathers believe you can't just set bond in an amount you know they can't make, and THE REPUBLICAN TEXAS LEGISLATURE has passed Art. 17.15 which requires that the defendant's personal financial situation must be considered). 

You've been crying in this thread about your tax dollars, so a judge did something that in most cases is effective in accomplishing the goal while not making the taxpayers cover this guy's room and board. But you don't care about any of that or your hypocrisy and just want to point out a time when it didn't work and throw shit like a zoo monkey without knowing anything about what you're talking about. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Nope, not at all.  Any response to the following?

I haven't voted since '16.  I cannot find peace voting for options in either party, currently.  Both are welcome to come come back towards the center and work for my vote.  Until then, I'm just along for the ride. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Are you literally this stupid? Can you read the fucking law? 

I mean, do you really need to ask these two questions? There's a very large body of work on this board that gives you the answer to both of these.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

49 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Republican politicians are actively trying to make more school shootings happen.

It makes Democrats talk about gun control, that causes an increase in gun sales, that makes the NRA happy, and they donate more money to get Republicans elected so they can prevent gun control. The lives of little children is a small price to pay. They’re not in the womb anymore so Republicans stopped caring about them. In the case of the Nashville shooting, they stopped caring 9 years ago. What were they doing in school, anyway? They should’ve had jobs. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

He was placed on house arrest and given other bond conditions. Those are quite frequently more effective in preventing recidivsm than simple monetary bond (especially since despite what the mouthbreathers believe you can't just set bond in an amount you know they can't make, and THE REPUBLICAN TEXAS LEGISLATURE has passed Art. 17.15 which requires that the defendant's personal financial situation must be considered). 

You've been crying in this thread about your tax dollars, so a judge did something that in most cases is effective in accomplishing the goal while not making the taxpayers cover this guy's room and board. But you don't care about any of that or your hypocrisy and just want to point out a time when it didn't work and throw shit like a zoo monkey without knowing anything about what you're talking about. 

Shucks, didn't work out for the girl.  Too bad I guess.  Maybe the next guy will stay in the corner when the judge puts him in timeout.   

Lol at the audacity to feign to me about caring for the public and then accusing me of hypocrisy in the same breath.  

• Fuck You 6

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Lockdown at Lamar High School in Houston today. Surrounding schools doing a lock-in. Just another Wednesday in 2023. 

Fuck this shit. 

Where you hearing this? A friend of mine works there and I haven't heard anything.

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Shucks, didn't work out for the girl.  Too bad I guess.  Maybe the next guy will stay in the corner when the judge puts him in timeout.   

Lol at the audacity to feign to me about caring for the public and then accusing me of hypocrisy in the same breath.  

You cry about tax dollars, then cry when something that saves tax dollars (house arrest) is implemented. Do you think bond conditions, protective orders, GPS monitors, etc., are all worthless but somehow some scumbag bail bond company putting up money makes a person safe? Do you think having money means a person isn't a threat?  Robert Durst had a high bond set. Guess what? He posted it then MURDERED HIS FUCKING WIFE SHUCKS SHUCKS SHUCKS DIDN'T WORK OUT FOR THE GIRL.  Bail doesn't prevent crime either, so don't act like it does. Did you cry when Chris Beard bonded out and weep for society, when he was charged with the same offenses this guy was? 

• Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I haven't voted since '16.  I cannot find peace voting for options in either party, currently.  Both are welcome to come come back towards the center and work for my vote.  Until then, I'm just along for the ride. 

Please tell us what a more centrist Democratic Party would look like in order to get your vote. 

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It makes Democrats talk about gun control, that causes an increase in gun sales, that makes the NRA happy, and they donate more money to get Republicans elected so they can prevent gun control. The lives of little children is a small price to pay. They’re not in the womb anymore so Republicans stopped caring about them. In the case of the Nashville shooting, they stopped caring 9 years ago. What were they doing in school, anyway? They should’ve had jobs. 

Well, it's a good thing they're whacking away at child labor laws then.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

No, its about voting.  Remember, every single R from suburban housewife to school board to the Supreme Court caused this.  CAUSED THIS.  It's in dozens and dozens of posts.  

Lol.  I've never argued a single one of those, but please project.  Please tell me you aren't yet another substandard attorney on here fabricating views of mine. 

Nope, equality would be fine. 

17 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I think any changes towards progress are good.  You will never get meaningful reforms passed in large chunks.  This will have to be incrementally chipped away at.  Would you rather it not passed?

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Lol, Is it mentally challenging to care so much about something that you are apathetic towards?

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

Please tell us what a more centrist Democratic Party would look like in order to get your vote. 

I have an answer for this, but I'll pass for now.  I'm sure there's an apropos thread for it somewhere that I might play in after a month of hiding in the hobbies forum. 

• Fuck You 1

If Republicans are really serious about increased baby production in the dominant culture, they’re gonna have to do something to stop the slaughter of the children like those at Covenant. Their whole birth push seems counter productive given their love of guns.

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I have an answer for this, but I'll pass for now.  I'm sure there's an apropos thread for it somewhere that I might play in after a month of hiding in the hobbies forum. 

Right, we wouldn’t want you to derail the thread or anything. 

• Haha 6

People who don't vote are worse than the people who show up to vote the pull the lever for the GQP. They're still supporting status quo, but using their lack of voting to absolve themselves of the terrible things the GQP stands for and fights for. You vote to get the people that have demonstrated who they are by their actions out of office. You don't sit on the sidelines and say politicians suck so I'm not going to participate in the democratic process. That just makes you a shitty human being.

Edited by royiv
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Fatty wants a world that caters to his every whim and for which he gets to contribute precisely zero to its upkeep. That's incredibly clear from his entire posting history.

Also he wants a yacht

• Drool 1

There is no reason Joe Q Citizen should be able to get a weapon like this at any local gun store. Hell they are easier to get than a PS5. It serves no purpose for citizens other than playing dress up soldier. Unless of course you are trying to kill as many people as fast as you can. Sign your bitch ass up for the military if you want to use this kind of firepower.

53 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

UPDATE: Precautionary lockdown and everyone is currently safe. Looks like threats were maybe called in? 

UPDATE: Someone called 911 as they saw a suspect on front lawn of Lamar High School that *looked* like he was carrying a "machine gun".  The suspect ran away and police are searching the area. School went on soft lockdown after being alerted about 911 call. 

EDIT: Lockdown is now over. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

5 hours ago, Skipper said:

Yep.  I disagree with Liberals/Democrats on a lot of things. But at this point I'm basically a 2 issue voter.  Gun Control and Anti-Insurrection (i.e., publicly against Trump and everything that 1/6 represented).  Any Republican that does not have those 2 issues front and center on their platform has zero chance of getting my vote.  Which essentially means I'll continue to vote D for the foreseeable future.  The policy disagreements I have with the D's don't inherently put my kids lives in jeopardy or the fundamental democracy of our country in jeopardy so it's really pretty fucking simple.

QFMFT

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Agreed.  I'm down to pay the same % of it as everyone else. 

But back to the thread.  In the last week, we've had a random man amongst the children during PE, and a student bring an unloaded weapon to the middle school.  Don't want to discuss the first event because it will go hurr durr hardening immediately, but the second.  Anyone for prosecution of the parents of that child?  I think if parents were held liable, they would take access more seriously. Thoughts?

Going to have to stay busy in the hobbies forums to make up for all the love.  

If you're talking about the DFW situation from a day or two ago, the mother was arrested, albeit for responding to the school calling her about her son having an unloaded gun at school by making terroristic threats.

17 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I really don't understand why y'all are still responding to that worthless troll. it's a waste of your and our time.

I'm of the mindset that bullshit needs to be called out all the time. Even if he is just a troll (which I don't think he is). 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Harris county had over 500 felonies committed by felons out on little or no bail last year. 

Setting aside your misunderstanding of Texas and constitutional law on bail, do you have a source on this? I'm unable to avoid any corroborating information after a brief internet search. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

If you're talking about the DFW situation from a day or two ago, the mother was arrested, albeit for responding to the school calling her about her son having an unloaded gun at school by making terroristic threats.

Sigh.  I am not.  Houston burbs.  Parents got a brief text, and that was that. 

There is no gun debate. You can't debate a religious zealot with reason.

That's what the gun lobby and the politically charged gun enthusiasts are. They're religious zealots. The AR-15 is their golden calf, and their altar demands a blood sacrifice, which they will gladly supply.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Setting aside your misunderstanding of Texas and constitutional law on bail, do you have a source on this? I'm unable to find any corroborating information after a brief internet search. 

I don't know why I wrote avoid originally. Maybe the bankruptcy cases I've been looking at recently. 

Just now, Dahobbs said:

I don't know why I wrote avoid originally. Maybe the bankruptcy cases I've been looking at recently. 

I'll see what I can dig up. Was stat from a guest on morning radio show right around the time of the Hildago/whatever Mack's girls name election.  Cant recall which instances were the big publicized at the that timeframe, the old lady had already been robbed and ran over before that, can't recall which instance had them up in arms.  I want to say the # was 442 or 448 on the year. 

Side note. It's interesting -- well, not really -- that the right seizes on the shooter's apparently being transgender, but not a peep about the reported autism. Not one. The Sandy Hook shooter was autistic as well, maybe others too. Which of course, matters not for shit because the only one single thing consistent in every single school shooting is the fucking guns designed to kill shit tons of people. 

48 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

UPDATE: Someone called 911 as they saw a suspect on front lawn of Lamar High School that *looked* like he was carrying a "machine gun".  The suspect ran away and police are searching the area. School went on soft lockdown after being alerted about 911 call. 

EDIT: Lockdown is now over. 

Probably a St. Johns student with a telescope and TI-83

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I'll see what I can dig up. Was stat from a guest on morning radio show right around the time of the Hildago/whatever Mack's girls name election.  Cant recall which instances were the big publicized at the that timeframe, the old lady had already been robbed and ran over before that, can't recall which instance had them up in arms.  I want to say the # was 442 or 448 on the year. 

We've had some experience with folks relying on information from morning shows and ending up with completely false information. Certainly, folks have committed crimes while out on bail. That isn't an indictment of any specific jurisdiction, but rather is the result of our justice system balancing the rights of the accused to the presumption of innocence and protection of society. We have constitutional and statutory rules and limits in place on bail requirements.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

We've had some experience with folks relying on information from morning shows and ending up with completely false information. Certainly, folks have committed crimes while out on bail. That isn't an indictment of any specific jurisdiction, but rather is the result of our justice system balancing the rights of the accused to the presumption of innocence and protection of society. We have constitutional and statutory rules and limits in place on bail requirements.  

Well of course.  While looking for your info you asked, I came across a Fox 26 vid detailing one of them.  Prosecutor asked for 500k due to record, prison time, etc, guy was given 5k, out for $500, committed 3 more armed robberies, then apprehended again.   The constitutional and statutory rules and limits you are held to, where does one get from 500k to 5k?  Or in the case we were discussing earlier, one single dollar?  A guy that cant afford even $1, would probably benefit from 3 hots and a cot. 

I know the story has been memorialized in gun violence lore, but I’m not sure we’ve actually stopped and thought about the savage destruction visited upon a small child who could only be identified by the color of her tennis shoes. Can you imagine how utterly destroyed her body must have been? And we allow these weapons on the streets without dilemma.

1 minute ago, DalTxHornFan said:

But carry on with your magical stories about how the bullets explode in the bodies of innocent victims

Shit back in the rittenhouse thread, fatty and sack were gleefully talking about how he "spaghettified" his targets with his AR. If you really want to get macabre we can start getting quotes of people from Uvalde talking about the absolute gore of the scene, or even some pictures of you'd like. 

Whatever would make you happiest, really. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well of course.  While looking for your info you asked, I came across a Fox 26 vid detailing one of them.  Prosecutor asked for 500k due to record, prison time, etc, guy was given 5k, out for $500, committed 3 more armed robberies, then apprehended again.   The constitutional and statutory rules and limits you are held to, where does one get from 500k to 5k?  Or in the case we were discussing earlier, one single dollar?  A guy that cant afford even $1, would probably benefit from 3 hots and a cot. 

You have continued to fail to 1) understand bail; 2) provide a reason why a defendant putting up $$ makes the community safer as opposed to actual restrictions such as restraining orders, house arrest, etc. You are just a puppet for the grifting ass cash bail industry as well as the lunatic right who screech bullshit about criminal law while simultaneously wanting criminals who are conservatives to never face a single consequence. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Is this mother fucker really in here minimizing the damage done by AR-15s to children?!?! What the ever loving fuck is wrong with you?

See below

1 hour ago, Hawndoh said:

There is no gun debate. You can't debate a religious zealot with reason.

That's what the gun lobby and the politically charged gun enthusiasts are. They're religious zealots. The AR-15 is their golden calf, and their altar demands a blood sacrifice, which they will gladly supply.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

This AR-15 myth is so stupid and wrong.  Most folks won't even use a .223 as a deer rifle because it doesn't have enough knock down power.

But carry on with your magical stories about how the bullets explode in the bodies of innocent victims.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2023/ar-15-damage-to-human-body/

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1