Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

16 hours ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Umm...no. Not BS, so you can love it - surprised the hell out of me, too. The instrument he carried around was the tuba but good ol' aggy can't call it a tuba because it starts with "tu" so he called it the bass horn - in case you need more aggyness. His brother was in the corps/band and 95% sure he could not play either, as I never saw him play an instrument in HS either.

Aside from a skin flute, you mean.

• Haha 1

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I find it deeply disturbing to discover that there is a healthy contingent of posters I view on the spectrum from "being tolerable" to "legitimately liking" who are band dorks. Christ.

In my defense, I did my share of non-nerd stuff too (athletics, hunting, bucking hay, etc.) also. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I find it deeply disturbing to discover that there is a healthy contingent of posters I view on the spectrum from "being tolerable" to "legitimately liking" who are band dorks. Christ.

"They remember that one time at band camp this girl took her flute and"...........

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

Judging by the number of attorneys here, I always assumed a healthy number of posters were band dorks. I know very few attorneys who were the cool kids growing up. 

I thought all we attorney's played telecasters in blues bands.

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

In junior high I was in the marching band at my school.  Our band director had us play the aggy war hymn.  I protested vehemently and he told me he would've had us play something from Tech or UT but those songs were too hard for a bunch of second year band students.  We also marched like aggy, he said it was way easier to march that way than the more advanced designs and patterns the other college bands did.  As I got older and did more difficult songs and marches, I came to understand that he wasn't bullshitting even a little bit.  

We played March Grandioso and Texas Fight when our high school band marched in Dolph Briscoe's governor's inaugural parade.  Those songs stayed in our repertoire for a long time, with the addition of Jalisco and Rancho Grande.

7 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I went twice. The first time they assassinated Marty Akin's knee and disabled the wishbone. The fuckers won. 

The second was Earl's Heisman year. We were in folding chairs on the field. When the big Texas flag was to run on the field, a Corps guy wouldn't get out of the way, so the ATOs just raised it up and the flag passed over him. When the dickhead emerged, he was furious. Naturally he ran to one of the girl ATOs and seemed on the verge of starting some shit.

All around me on the field where we were seated there was a hush. You could almost feel a lean forward and scowl in the seconds the Aggie was harassing the girl. I think I know what the moment before a riot feels like. Someone got the Aggie out of the girl's face (she wasn't backing down), and the moment passed.

Glorious game. The Ags came back a little in the second half, so we had to leave Earl in. He rushed for over 200 which came in handy because it kept him ahead of Herschel Walker (I think). 

You can appreciate the Aggie experience away from Kyle field. Watching them in your own stadium is a solid taste. Whooping that ass in Memorial throughout the 70s was pretty sweet.

That assassin was Pat Thomas, right?  I was there too.   It was also APO, not ATO.  

5 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I was at that 1977 game at aggy too.  That was my Junior year at UT.  aggy scored first and went up 7-0.  Earl then torched them for a 60 yard receiving TD and the horns never looked back.  Earl had over 200 yards on the ground and the 60 yards receiving.  It's the only receiving TD I can recall that Earl had while at Texas.

Didn't Earl block a field goal that game as well?  Seems he and Tim lined up as linebackers and he got his hands on one.

12 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

That assassin was Pat Thomas, right?  I was there too.   It was also APO, not ATO.  

I believe you're right about Thomas. I know it was an Aggie that went pro. Sorry about the ATO mistake, that's an insult I did not mean to cast. The ATOs were the worst assholes on campus and were finally kicked out, I think.

Didn't Earl block a field goal that game as well?  Seems he and Tim lined up as linebackers and he got his hands on one.

I think Earl and Tim blocked a field goal or punt together in the Bluebonnet Bowl against Colorado. I was there and the play happened right in front of us. Earl blocked a punt as a freshman in the Arkansas game at Memorial. 

Edited by RomaVicta

3 minutes ago, TheRealRonWeaver? said:

How fucking old are you people? Is there a Shaggy retirement home?

shut up junior. Class of 2000, when we had other shit to worry about vs. who was in band. Like not having legal weed. Heading to William Canyon to score an ounce was a mission. Oh, and we protested the fuck out of the anything on campus. G-20, Collin Powell, you name it, we had a damn good time. 

Fuck aggy. Can we get this thread back to where it belongs. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

shut up junior. Class of 2000, when we had other shit to worry about vs. who was in band. Like not having legal weed. Heading to William Canyon to score an ounce was a mission. Oh, and we protested the fuck out of the anything on campus. G-20, Collin Powell, you name it, we had a damn good time. 

Where does this Bill Canyon guy live?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Went there around the same time. There’s a good chance I fucked your girlfriend, sister or both.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

William Canyon? Just who the fuck are you?

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If it helps I wasn’t just in the band, I was also in the physics club so not entirely a nerd

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

We played March Grandioso and Texas Fight when our high school band marched in Dolph Briscoe's governor's inaugural parade.  Those songs stayed in our repertoire for a long time, with the addition of Jalisco and Rancho Grande.

How many days did that horse and buggy trip take?

• Haha 1

OU sucks and the Horns have to be in the SEC, by 2024! Enough of the bullshit November patsy that they all do, while the rest of the country is in deep conference play!

I was really holding out hope that the “letter channels” would supersede and get us into the SEC by next Fall, but with next years schedule getting released today, there’s little hope in that.

9 Conference games and no more November patsy games! Let’s get it on!

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Deep brass checking in.

I attempt tolerableness.

• Haha 1