2021 CFP National Title: Georgia vs Bama

Helobious

7 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Right. One game. He’s not great at any facet of the game.

Vince Young (no Heisman) dominated much of his career, and was completely unstoppable when he got hot. 

And Vince Young remains one of the absolute best QB's the college game has ever seen. So Bryce isn't there. He's still really, really fucking good.

Without watching the game or reading this whole thread--told the wife this is going to be like the LSU Bama series a few years ago where LSU won the regular season game but Bama won the rematch for the championship.  Pretty sure this was beat to death by the telecast.    

8 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Right. One game. He’s not great at any facet of the game.

Vince Young (no Heisman) dominated much of his career, and was completely unstoppable when he got hot. 

You realize the Heisman is given out to the “best player” for that particular season and not chosen between players in the current season plus a pool of guys that missed out during their careers, right?

No one is saying Bryce Young is better than Vince Young.  No one.

22 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

You realize the Heisman is given out to the “best player” for that particular season and not chosen between players in the current season plus a pool of guys that missed out during their careers, right?

No one is saying Bryce Young is better than Vince Young.  No one.

Last night he wasn't even better than Stetson Bennett. 

Can blame receivers and injuries or say Georgia's defense was so much better, but when the pressure was high and the game was on the line and the team put the game in their hands, one QB stepped up and another didn't.

I think it also shows how much his receivers made him look good. Bennett never had the tools Young did.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

And Vince Young remains one of the absolute best QB's the college game has ever seen. So Bryce isn't there. He's still really, really fucking good.

I don't see it. He is not Heisman-worthy by any stretch of the imagination at this stage in his career. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

It is given to the most celebrated player on the best team, not the best player. 

Are we really bitching about Bryce Young's Heisman? JFC, y'all will bitch about ANYTHING to discount Bama.  And I'm a Texas graduate.

It almost always goes to the best player (QB or RB) on a nationally relevant team (i.e., Playoffs).  

4800 yards on 67% completion
50 TD (47 pass, 3 rush) to 7 INT

Prior to the playoffs, it was 46 TD to 4 INT

#2 in passing TDs nationally
#3 in passing yards nationally
#5 in passing efficiency nationally
#16 in completion percentage

• Hook 'Em 2

Are we really bitching about Bryce Young's Heisman? JFC, y'all will bitch about ANYTHING to discount Bama.  And I'm a Texas graduate.
It almost always goes to the best player (QB or RB) on a nationally relevant team (i.e., Playoffs).  

He’s a bum
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

People aren't complaining that his win doesn't make sense given the voters' annual stupidity. They're complaining about the annual stupidity. The award usually does not go to the most outstanding player in college football.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have to admit. I predicted, privately, that Bama was going to win. I didn't think Georgia's schedule this year really proved the hype that they were the best team in the country with an all-time defense.  I also didn't think Stetson Bennett could lead a team to a championship.  I thought Georgia was exposed for who they really were in the SEC championship game.  I still think, position-by-position, on paper, Bama is a better team than Georgia.  If they play at full strength, I think Bama wins the game 8/10 times.  Losing both of their top receivers really hurt them.  Young threw like 57 times; Bennett had 26 attempts, I think.  Tells you a lot about their respective game plans.  Bill O'Brien was a liability for Bama.

All in all, an entertaining season and an entertaining championship game.  I'm happy for Georgia.  Long time coming for them.  We know the feeling.

17 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

It is given to the most celebrated player on the best team, not the best player. 

Agree.  It's currently given to the best QB of the teams with great W-L records.  It used to have RBs mixed in there and every once in a while you get anomalies like last year where a WR wins it.  It has never been an award for "best player."  Hence why only a few different positions have ever won a Heisman. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Bryce Young, while a very good young QB, isn't even the best player on his own team. Will Anderson is better. The fact that he didn't even get invited to NY is a travesty.

But the Heisman has been an irrelevant joke for years now, so these things no longer bother me.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Obvious post is obvious. But watching a little bit last night. We still have a looooonnnggg way to go to get this level. Both in physical development and aggressiveness.  Even the way they hit and tackle is year ahead of us 

Agreed. I lost count of the times I said to myself "wow, that is a well coached player".  They are so sure of what they are doing.  Even late in the game when the Alabama DB bit hard on the double move he knew enough to just tackle the guy, because he had no help, rather than give up a touchdown. He was mad about getting beat but confident enough in what to do.

4 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Bryce Young, while a very young QB, isn't even the best player on his own team. Will Anderson is better. The fact that he didn't even get invited to NY is a travesty.

But the Heisman has been an irrelevant joke for years now, so these things no longer bother me.

Look at all the Heisman winners since inception.  It's always been this way.  I agree it's frustrating seeing it touted as "best player" but equally as frustrating is fans thinking it was ever different.

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

People aren't complaining that his win doesn't make sense given the voters' annual stupidity. They're complaining about the annual stupidity. The award usually does not go to the most outstanding player in college football.

His win is like Manziel’s, there really wasn’t anyone else to give it to.  Maybe in years like this they should vacate the award.

i only watched part of the game i said i would not watch because the wife loves football.

i stand by my assertion that we shouldn't see conference members playing for the national championship.

we already saw this game. bama killed them. now bama was down two players. georgia killed them.

yawn. it's a tie as far as i'm concerned.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about who wins the Heisman anymore? It's a hype award reserved for QBs and RBs on playoff teams.  Occasionally someone outside of that box will get it, but it's not common.  It hasn't been a "best overall player" award in God knows how long.

Bryce was as deserving as anyone based on those metrics alone.  Plus he actually is really good.  Best player in the nation?  Not likely.  But good enough. 

17 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i only watched part of the game i said i would not watch because the wife loves football.

i stand by my assertion that we shouldn't see conference members playing for the national championship.

we already saw this game. bama killed them. now bama was down two players. georgia killed them.

yawn. it's a tie as far as i'm concerned.

Agreed. Bama passed that test and beat the #1 bestest team in America in early December. Bama's reward? Hey, you have to do it again in early January! It was bullshit when it happened to LSU (vs Bama) and it was bullshit when it happened to Florida State (vs Florida). As long as only four teams get in, two shouldn't come from the same conference. The problem is Bama probably steamrolls Cincy, Michigan, Baylor or whoever else you would've put in there. Therefore, the answer is the playoff needs to be expanded yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Agreed. Bama passed that test and beat the #1 bestest team in America in early December. Bama's reward? Hey, you have to do it again in early January! It was bullshit when it happened to LSU (vs Bama) and it was bullshit when it happened to Florida State (vs Florida). As long as only four teams get in, two shouldn't come from the same conference. The problem is Bama probably steamrolls Cincy, Michigan, Baylor or whoever else you would've put in there. Therefore, the answer is the playoff needs to be expanded yesterday.

Yup. When I was a little kid I thought that’s what people meant by “split National Campions” obviously later found out it was just AP vs USAToday, there was no Santa Claus and we are all going to die some day