Kansas V. Texas - Game Thread

Wally Pryor

10 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Funny story from tonight.  My brother and I were at the game and were standing at appropriate moments (not like we were standing 100% of the time).  Texas is going on a run in the 1st half and we're standing and cheering.  The guy behind me yells, "Hey can you sit down."  I turn around and look at him like he's regarded and say no.  He then begins to heckle us for about 5 minutes and we remain standing.  They then leave I guess to find different seats.  These were Kansas fans so fuck 'em, but I wouldn't have sat down for UT fans either.

Fuck those idiots. Can you imagine if some of our fans pulled that at Allen Fieldhouse?

9 hours ago, Burt said:

Quan forgetting we're not a basketball school (yet).

Absolutely storm the court last night. 

Edited by jw4381
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

we rushed the court after the aforementioned Wake Forest game, but it is a very rare thing around here. can't recall it happening too many other times.

I actually recall Chris Mihm and a lot of the team rushing the stands after we beat KU one year. We kinda spilled out onto the court under the basket. I remember looking up at Chris and marveling at his height. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you still don't get it. Ced and DJ returned and prevented Rodgers from going to the Rose Bowl. no time travel involved. 

But they actually said they were coming back for their senior year to make sure Aaron Rogers wouldn’t go to the Rose Bowl, according to you. Why would they say that in January 2004 when Aaron Rogers wasn’t even on their radar?

Maybe instead of coffee I need beer, because I’m still it getting it.

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Storming the court should tell you how much closer they have moved the students.

It was always difficult to storm the court from the Upper Deck.

PS- Tell Quan that he doesn’t want need to storm the court for us to still like him. We won’t hold it against him if he stays in the stands. 

Beard has been inviting the students onto the court after games all season to make it more fun.

I'm old, and I get how much fun this was for the students -- Great for Texas Basketball!!!

Get over yourself Quan 

• Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Fans stormed the field in 1995 when we beat aggy…..and fans stormed the field when we beat Houston in 1990…..FWIW.

Two favorite Texas football memories. The latter was probably my proudest moment as a fan until the Vince Era. Plus, it gave us the timeless, "Get that idiot off the goalpost!"

(@Wally Pryor remembers.)

• Hook 'Em 2

That was just one epic college basketball game. Two teams laying it all on the line. Allen was a total monster. 

But what's up with this KU-apologist game recap? After reading it, I had to check to make sure I wasn't on the Lawrence newspaper site. Is this what the once-noble SI has melted into? 

https://www.si.com/college/kansas/basketball/longhorns-outlast-jayhawks-79-76-20220208

Edited by Gut Wagon

9 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

That was just one epic college basketball game. Two teams laying it all on the line. Allen was a total monster.

But what's up with this KU-apologist game recap? After reading it, I had to check to make sure I wasn't on the Lawrence newspaper site. Is this what the once-noble SI has melted into?

https://www.si.com/college/kansas/basketball/longhorns-outlast-jayhawks-79-76-20220208

The article is for a KU subforum (Blue Wings Rising) at FanNation, so it's natural and understandable that it favors the Jayhawks' perspective.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Im looking at the fouls called (21 a piece) and FT taken (23 a piece). Our version of homecookin is an evenly called game. Fuck big 12 refs. 

It's already been said 87 garillion times on this board already, but there are no conference specific refs in college basketball. They all work multiple conferences.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Calling my shot -

KU will not shoot that well in Lawrence.  That is not sustainable (60-something % in the 2nd half),  We will not shoot that poorly from deep again.  

We may win in Lawrence, we may not.  But last year, we destroyed them in Lawrence (84-59) and barely won at home (75-72). 

We got our 3 point home win last night, so we are going to destroy them in Lawrence. 

that-makes-sense-hubie-dubois.gif

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's already been said 87 garillion times on this board already, but there are no conference specific refs in college basketball. They all work multiple conferences.

I know.  We all know.

But it does feel (maybe to us, bc we watch a lot of Big 12 games) that the same issues persist every season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Js1 said:

I know.  We all know.

But it does feel (maybe to us, bc we watch a lot of Big 12 games) that the same issues persist every season. 

Yeah I feel ya...it does feel like a fairly called game against KU is against the norm. There's probably a number of factors there. I thought they missed a few calls that should have gone in our favor toward the end of regulation in Lawrence, but it was mostly pretty good compared to how it usually is.

11 hours ago, dcar00 said:

If I'm Beard I tell Timmy if you get in the lane, take the shot.  also, he draws bigs so we have a better chance for a put back if he misses.

That's what the kids need to realize when they hold the ball and pass up open shots where the defense is scrambling to recover, they are allowing the defense the time to start blocking out. When you take open shots, the defense is out of position and you get more OR opportunities.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

we rushed the court after the aforementioned Wake Forest game, but it is a very rare thing around here. can't recall it happening too many other times.

It takes an engaged fanbase to rush the court.  As far as I'm concerned, they can rush the court any damn time they want.  When competing for national championships and winning conference titles becomes the expectation, then maybe I'll change my tune, but who cares?  This wasn't our baseball team beating Texas Southern to win our 50th game of the season.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Yeah I feel ya...it does feel like a fairly called game against KU is against the norm. There's probably a number of factors there. I thought they missed a few calls that should have gone in our favor toward the end of regulation in Lawrence, but it was mostly pretty good compared to how it usually is.

There is also a Big 12 coordinator of basketball officials.  I assume how the conference prefers games to be "called" and who is making those calls comes from the top.

I'm not saying Curtis Shaw is calling up the officials and saying "Favor KU/Baylor/whatever."  I'm implying Curtis Shaw and his office are emphasizing and de-emphasizing certain calls.  He said A LOT about officiating changes for basketball back in November to the media.  Very much "no this is how I prefer the rule be interpreted" 

But also Curtis Shaw "hired" Amy Bonner to call Big 12 games, per an article in the Oklahoman (about her being the first woman official for Big 12 MBB games).  So clearly the conference has a say in who gets to call conference games. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

we almost never storm the court. i truly only remember it happening once or twice in the last two decades. let the kids storm the court if they want to. at least they showed up and got crunk. that's a more than fair trade off. 

I did it as a student once when Fredie Williams made Jamaal Tinsley his bitch.  That was in the Ozone days.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

That was just one epic college basketball game. Two teams laying it all on the line. Allen was a total monster.   But what's up with this KU-apologist game recap? After reading it, I had to check to make sure I wasn't on the Lawrence newspaper site. Is this what the once-noble SI has melted into? 

Yeah, this was in the article...  

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

That's what the kids need to realize when they hold the ball and pass up open shots where the defense is scrambling to recover, they are allowing the defense the time to start blocking out. When you take open shots, the defense is out of position and you get more OR opportunities.

More aggressive early offense during possessions really helped their rhythm improve !!!  🤘

Glad to see Texas reducing their terrible, really frustrating possessions where they get stuck with a last second throw it up jumper while the shot clock is expiring..

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, this was in the article...  

Yeah, I actually only read the opening paragraph before questioning that it came from a "real" SI reporter. I just hadn't been on their site in so long I didn't realize they'd started to incorporate assorted "fanbase" content instead of what made them SI to begin with.

2 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

To be fair Jay Bilas was the same in the broadcast.  I can't remember a Texas game he has called where it didn't feel like he was openly rooting against us

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Also I like that even though we missed 17 3's it didn't feel like they were all back to back.  We were getting the ball in the paint in between.  There have been a few games this year where we forced up 4 or 5 straight 3's missed them all and found ourselves down double digits. Mixing the 3's in as a part of a more balanced offensive strategy works so much better than jacking up 5 straight.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

There is also a Big 12 coordinator of basketball officials.  I assume how the conference prefers games to be "called" and who is making those calls comes from the top.

I'm not saying Curtis Shaw is calling up the officials and saying "Favor KU/Baylor/whatever."  I'm implying Curtis Shaw and his office are emphasizing and de-emphasizing certain calls.  He said A LOT about officiating changes for basketball back in November to the media.  Very much "no this is how I prefer the rule be interpreted" 

But also Curtis Shaw "hired" Amy Bonner to call Big 12 games, per an article in the Oklahoman (about her being the first woman official for Big 12 MBB games).  So clearly the conference has a say in who gets to call conference games. 

Yes and no. 

Each coordinator is different, so yes, depending on where you are officiating and which coordinator you work can determine what you emphasize/let go/not let go.

No, the conference doesn't have a say so in who gets to call conference games.  That's just the say so of the coordinator.  If a coach as a problem with a ref or a certain call, they don't send it in to the Big 12 office--they send it to the conference coordinator. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

what Quan doesn't understand is that this team needed that.  These guys for the most part are mercenaries from other schools(many far away) and a lot of them are gone in a year.  Its great that they can enjoy that with fellow students and feel being part of the student body.  I think it helps everyone.

Do I want to get to the point that storming the court against Kansas in basketball is stupid? yes but we aren't there yet.

Allen and Carr are likely the only 2 of the portals leaving, and Carr probably isn't 100%, especially if he gets a generous NIL deal. Hell, Allen still has a Covid season if he wants it. I don't expect it, but you could see this entire team come back.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

I did it as a student once when Fredie Williams made Jamaal Tinsley his bitch.  That was in the Ozone days.

That was epic, I stormed the court that day as well. Iowa State was #2 in the nation I think. 

The only other time I remember storming the court was when we finally beat OU after like 10 straight losses.

There was a half assed attempt after beating a Chris Paul led Wake team but most of us didn't partake.

5 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

We were in College Station in 1995...and those fans got assaulted by Corps turds. Good times.

That game was the only time I have ever been to College Station and I will never go back. 

Those fascist bootsteppers had the look in their eyes of the gomer loser who long ago pulled his saber on an SMU (guy) cheerleader.

There is no university that I think less of in the world than that indoctrination factory in College Station.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

We were in College Station in 1995...and those fans got assaulted by Corps turds. Good times.

One of my favorite memories as a dumb ass 15 year old.  One good juke move and was right past some corp douchebag and in the center of the field with the players. The key was to be in the first wave before the corp reinforcements made it out of the stands to "protect the field".   My dad watched the mayhem from the stands and was convinced I was knocked out or arrested when I didn't show back up for 30 minutes.   Good times indeed.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

That game was the only time I have ever been to College Station and I will never go back. 

Those fascist bootsteppers had the look in their eyes of the gomer loser who long ago pulled his saber on an SMU (guy) cheerleader.

There is no university that I think less of in the world than that indoctrination factory in College Station.

9D9FB4E0-D9B3-429E-8431-09378EB34B1F.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

The fact that we frown upon spontaneous fan reactions like storming the court as if those emotions are beneath us is the reason we have less fan engagement during games than our peers. We have to let go of our inhibitions - both fans and players alike - if we want to be good at major sports again. Chris Beard gets it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The MOB was surrounded by the Corps (in full Charge of the Light Brigade mode) during the '80's (?) one year at Kyle, after their halftime show involved a formation of a dog pissing on a fire hydrant.

1 minute ago, cafe society said:

The MOB was surrounded by the Corps (in full Charge of the Light Brigade mode) during the '80's (?) one year at Kyle, after their halftime show involved a formation of a dog pissing on a fire hydrant.

Jonestown had nothing on College Station. 

A state-funded cult indoctrination facility with a very strong Mississippi Burning vibe. An Austrian-born failed artist from the late-1800s to mid-1900s would be proud of the Corps. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, dcar00 said:

what Quan doesn't understand is that this team needed that.  These guys for the most part are mercenaries from other schools(many far away) and a lot of them are gone in a year.  Its great that they can enjoy that with fellow students and feel being part of the student body.  I think it helps everyone.

Do I want to get to the point that storming the court against Kansas in basketball is stupid? yes but we aren't there yet.

Absolutely this.