ztejas sucks

ztejas

According to some, it’s unrealistic to expect to be 3-1 or 4-0 at this point. It’s unrealistic to expect (and there was a certain point in the Tech game) for us to have put the dagger in, taken control and gone all gas no brakes to a victory. It’s unrealistic to expect a Kansas team that’s done fuck all relevant in nearly 20 years to be 4-0 and win two fairly significant road games. Right? A coach comes into a hapless hopeless Kansas team from Buffalo (college not NFL) and before that UW-Whitewater. He’s not expected to get results right away…that’s just ludicrous to expect him to have a winning record in the middle of his second year. Jeez you could make more excuses for OU at this point given all the fuckery that went on with them the last several months. Them losing to a well coached KState team at home is not great and not acceptable from the standpoint of their fans but it’s not unrealistic. For some reason it’s unrealistic to believe we have the right to expect far better from our coaching staff and our players. Because reasons. Coaching matters a lot. And if I go down this list I don’t see a whole bunch of shitty coaches. I see pretty good ones working with the talent at hand. OU gets a bit of a reprieve mainly because of what happened in their offseason. I am out of fucks and excuses to give Texas at this point. Outside of WVU that always plays tough…what HC do we face on our schedule that is a mark. Not one. 

F38E9D71-0012-4376-B349-A43D0E9C078E.jpeg

Edited by Nicole44
Edited to say Leipold’s overall record at Kansas is 6-10. Sark is 7-9 with no signature wins. Fuck it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Personally, I'd prefer it if our coaches and players had zero media availability, no responsibility for providing content to LHN, and just focused on their craft. Have a spokesperson give practice reports and handle the media. Let Saturdays speak for themselves.

Sark has shown time and time again that he is terrible at making adjustments. He is great at putting together a game plan that takes advantage of the other team's weaknesses but once they adjust or something goes sideways he is lost and remains lost. He refuses to play to his strengths for 60 minutes since he is stubborn and tries to will things that are not working to work once he gets the lead. For instance  yesterday it was trying to run up the middle, wildcat and throwing deep while all kinds of other plays were working great. Sark is 48 years old and he has been a head coach for 7+ years now and still is repeatedly doing this things on offense. No amount of extra time is going to fix those short falls in his approach that by now he should have learned to mitigate.

Back to what the Washington Huskies fan said the day we hired Sark. "Texas fans are going to get tired of his WTF loses." Well yesterday qualifies as WTF for me when one is yelling at the TV "WTF are you calling! Go back to the plays that were working." I guess that what that guy meant by WTF.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So how many second half collapses in a season and 1/3 will it take for you to see the red flag. The continual defense of sark by some is more mind blowing than his disappearance act in 4/5 second half collapses that turned into losses.

Let it go some of those defenders may have aggy parents or hung around to much with aggy friends and it is now in their blood.

Screen_Shot_2022_01_07_at_6.59.22_PM.0.p

1 hour ago, scottsins said:

Regarding the “program related” theory…or “it’s systemic”…or “it’s the program’s culture”,

can anyone actually articulate with specificity what this means?  I’ve never had anyone lay out exactly what is causing the losses, if it’s not the coaches/players?  I mean, I GUESS I get that you can fault an AD for making a bad hire, but is that it?

It's a cop out for we keep screwing up the hire.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The Alabama fan base has been sorely sorely tested, wandering in the desert for eighteen years, from 1992 to 2010, but it was oh so well worth the wait. We endured conservative or inept offense philosophies, matador defenses, head coaches fired for shagging admin assistants, five consecutive lossess to Auburn, a head coach who never coached a game but knew how to find two strippers to spend the night with, and two nasty probations. Many jumped ship. Well, fuck them. Stay faithful, Horns fans. It is always darkest just before the dawn.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

For the last four years, after Texas had sh*t the bed yet again, I kept thinking the program was at a critical point where significant positive progress had to occur or else the hole might be too deep.

The hiring of a new coach, the move to the SEC, and NIL gave the program some breathing room. However, if Sark delivers another 5-7 or 6-6 year Manning is probably gone, along with a lot of the other top recruits. That’s going to make things extremely difficult.  Sark had better get his sh*t together asap. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That’s why every single publication in Kansas right now is begging the AD to lock Leipold down. They may lose him. They may keep him. But it must be nice to have no doubt that they got their coach. That he’s a good/great coach. That they don’t have to start another coaching search in a year or two because they hired poorly.

They just have the fear now he’ll be poached. Whereas here on the 40 acres…just a bunch of doubt and excuses. My best guy friend used to say about love: if there’s doubt there is no doubt. We know pretty much what we have and it wasn’t exactly hidden from us Sark’s record and background prior to hiring him. IMO, the rest is all smoke and mirrors and denial and excuses. Like I said it must be nice to have no doubt. Sark is 7-9 overall with no signature wins. Leipold is 6-10 overall with one of those wins being over Sark. If there’s doubt there is jo doubt. It’s the truth.

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

That’s why every single publication in Kansas right now is begging the AD to lock Leipold down. They may lose him. They may keep him. But it must be nice to have no doubt that they got their coach. That he’s a good/great coach. That they don’t have to start another coaching search in a year or two because they hired poorly.

They just have the fear now he’ll be poached. Whereas here on the 40 acres…just a bunch of doubt and excuses. My best guy friend used to say about love: if there’s doubt there is no doubt. We know pretty much what we have and it wasn’t exactly hidden from us Sark’s record and background prior to hiring him. IMO, the rest is all smoke and mirrors and denial and excuses. Like I said it must be nice to have no doubt. Sark is 7-9 overall with no signature wins. Leipold is 6-10 overall with one of those wins being over Sark. If there’s doubt there is jo doubt. It’s the truth.

I guess he’s good and all but let’s take a look at the four teams Kansas has beaten:

d654383fabb18c14a851823284c6e2cb.jpg

By all means, the Jayhawks should lock him up. But if I’m a blue blood program with an opening (not you, Nebraska) I need to see more before I pull the trigger.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Amen! The utter lack of imagination in this formation of having RJ take the snap, sit there long enough let the D line get penetration, and then run right into the D line, is appalling.

Also posted on the Fire PK thread but here is the absolutely predictable results of doing that: 🤬

This sample accounts for 71% of RJs carries against Alabama/Tech, some from the Wildcat and some not (and the ones not in this sample are a whopping 4-8 yds) - .8 yds/carry. Assuming RJ is at least 6 ft. tall (No Kyler 🤣), literally falling down facing forward at the LOS will get a better YPC.

• 2nd & 12 at TEX 24
    (7:14 - 2nd) Roschon Johnson run for a loss of 2 yards to the Texas 22
  • 1st & 10 at ALA 47
    (1:35 - 3rd) Roschon Johnson run for 3 yds to the Alab 44
  • 2nd & 10 at TTU 17
    (2:58 - 1st) Roschon Johnson run for 1 yd to the TexTc 16
  • 1st & 10 at TEX 31
    (8:41 - 2nd) Roschon Johnson run for 3 yds to the Texas 34
  • 3rd & 1 at TEX 38
    (1:58 - 2nd) Roschon Johnson run for no gain to the Texas 38
  • 4th & 1 at TEX 38
    (1:45 - 2nd) Roschon Johnson run for 2 yds to the Texas 40 for a 1ST down
  • 4th & 2 at TTU 32
    (12:48 - 3rd) Roschon Johnson run for no gain to the TexTc 32
  • 1st & 10 at TTU 38
    (5:03 - 3rd) Roschon Johnson run for a loss of 2 yards to the TexTc 40
  • 2nd & 10 at TEX 25
    (1:33 - 3rd) Roschon Johnson run for 2 yds to the Texas 27
  • 2nd & 6 at TEX 29
    (7:11 - 4th) Roschon Johnson run for 1 yd to the Texas 30

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I guess he’s good and all but let’s take a look at the four teams Kansas has beaten:

d654383fabb18c14a851823284c6e2cb.jpg

By all means, the Jayhawks should lock him up. But if I’m a blue blood program with an opening (not you, Nebraska) I need to see more before I pull the trigger.

Oh I get what you’re saying absolutely. But typically past success is a marker of future success. Blue bloods will always need a bigger sample size. Sark’s sample size doesn’t necessarily mean big wins at a blue blood. Quite the opposite. I’m not saying we hire Leipold I’m saying Kansas didn’t just play pin the tail on the donkey when they made their pick. They looked at his past results. 

Leipold has been known for turning smaller programs around. Before Kansas, he was the head coach at Buffalo from 2015-2021. Buffalo was 7-17 in his first two seasons, but he turned it around to a 30-16 record through his last four seasons there.

Before that, he was the head coach at UW-Whitewater, where he won six national championships at the Division III level and finished with a 109-6 record during his time with the Warhawks.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Also posted on the Fire PK thread but here is the absolutely predictable results of doing that: 🤬

This sample accounts for 71% of RJs carries against Alabama/Tech, some from the Wildcat and some not (and the ones not in this sample are a whopping 4-8 yds) - .8 yds/carry. Assuming RJ is at least 6 ft. tall (No Kyler 🤣), literally falling down facing forward at the LOS will get a better YPC.

• 2nd & 12 at TEX 24
  • 1st & 10 at ALA 47
  • 2nd & 10 at TTU 17
  • 1st & 10 at TEX 31
  • 3rd & 1 at TEX 38
  • 4th & 1 at TEX 38
  • 4th & 2 at TTU 32
  • 1st & 10 at TTU 38
  • 2nd & 10 at TEX 25
  • 2nd & 6 at TEX 29

RJ gets so many touches and does zero with 90% of them. I’ve never understood the amount of involvement he has in the offense 

Also posted on the Fire PK thread but here is the absolutely predictable results of doing that: 

This sample accounts for 71% of RJs carries against Alabama/Tech, some from the Wildcat and some not (and the ones not in this sample are a whopping 4-8 yds) - .8 yds/carry. Assuming RJ is at least 6 ft. tall (No Kyler ), literally falling down facing forward at the LOS will get a better YPC.

• 2nd & 12 at TEX 24
  • 1st & 10 at ALA 47
  • 2nd & 10 at TTU 17
  • 1st & 10 at TEX 31
  • 3rd & 1 at TEX 38
  • 4th & 1 at TEX 38
  • 4th & 2 at TTU 32
  • 1st & 10 at TTU 38
  • 2nd & 10 at TEX 25
  • 2nd & 6 at TEX 29

If we run the wildcat one more time then Sark deserves to be fired. There is no excuse for doing this. It simply doesn’t work and will never work.

Also, quit doing the whiff play action (where we fake to no one), Card has 3 seconds to throw and wasting a half second on this is bullshit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

If we run the wildcat one more time then Sark deserves to be fired. There is no excuse for doing this. It simply doesn’t work and will never work.

Also, quit doing the whiff play action (where we fake to no one), Card has 3 seconds to throw and wasting a half second on this is bullshit.

The wildcat works and would be really good given what we have at the RB position. The problem is Sark running the same shit out of it without trying to mix it up. Our run game is beginning to look like Herman in terms of predictability. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The wildcat works and would be really good given what we have at the RB position. The problem is Sark running the same shit out of it without trying to mix it up. Our run game is beginning to look like Herman in terms of predictability. 

Examples of it working? It hasn’t worked in 10 years. It’s why no one does it anymore.

Having the QB wide makes it 11 on 9. This is obvious even to a toddler that it is a losing proposition.

Look around the league and find the most overrated HC's and most will be calling their own plays. 

Now Sark is actually good at that. Our offense is averaging like 35+ point a game with him. He's failing miserably though as a HC not spending time fixing what the bigger problems are with this team. Seems like he spends more time figuring out how to make the offense better than trying to figure out how to make the defense better.

The offense needs time, the defense needs change.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Examples of it working? It hasn’t worked in 10 years. It’s why no one does it anymore.

Having the QB wide makes it 11 on 9. This is obvious even to a toddler that it is a losing proposition.

Here’s one. There’s more but it has worked for us. 

Edit: here’s is another just yesterday. 

Edited by DoneWithit

46 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

That’s true. It did work that one time against UTSA and that other time it worked for a yard and a half 

Sorry, would you like me to post the kstate game from last year? In that game there was a play where Rojo actually wanted to throw out of the wildcat. It has worked and can work if we get better blocking up front, and Sark mixing it up a bit. 

To say Sark is limited in what he can run out of the wildcat because of the limitations our interior line has is definitely true. But to say it has never worked with Sark is complete bullshit. 

7 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Sorry, would you like me to post the kstate game from last year? In that game there was a play where Rojo actually wanted to throw out of the wildcat. It has worked and can work if we get better blocking up front, and Sark mixing it up a bit. 

To say Sark is limited in what he can run out of the wildcat because of the limitations our interior line has is definitely true. But to say it has never worked with Sark is complete bullshit. 

It wasn’t working yesterday and he kept fucking running it. That’s what matters today. 

9 hours ago, Thatguy said:

It's Washington man. You act as though they are a blue blood program. They were 1-10, 5-5, 4-9, and 0-11 leading into Sark. 

Don’t be a dipshit, that was coaching.  They were a .700 program with an MNC, multiple 10 win seasons and ONE losing record in the 30 years leading up to the train wreck that was Willingham.  

They had 6 years of terrible coaching with a couple teams that completely gave up, and when they brought Sark in he was extremely average.  

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Had Enough said:

This is bs. Card is vastly different this year. And not sure where you get 1-3. He started two games. But I guess you can tag him with KU, ISU.

He’s converted multiple first downs when needing 15+ yards. I’m not sure we ever did that last year. He’s led multiple drives at the end of halves and games resulting in points. Two drives ended with the ball in our RBs hands yesterday. The QB had no negative impact on either of those drives. One drive failed because our WR couldn’t catch a very catchable ball.

He was solid yesterday. And one of your better offensive players. There are many adjectives to describe you based on this post. None of them positive.

But it is apparent that many here are not willing to let go of preconceived notions based on last year. Here’s a little reminder. Every QB alive misses open receivers, throws some less than great balls, and makes some poor decisions. And quite many improve over time.

With respect to Quinn, he’s got the arm of a “perfect” recruit. If that is what it takes to run Sarks offense, it is a shitty offense. He calls some great plays. But damn if some aren’t just awful.

Yesterday once again was a team loss.

This. Card took the team up the field to get into FG position in under 25 seconds in the 4th Q.

that’s clutch as hell.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Had Enough said:

This is bs. Card is vastly different this year. And not sure where you get 1-3. He started two games. But I guess you can tag him with KU, ISU.

He’s converted multiple first downs when needing 15+ yards. I’m not sure we ever did that last year. He’s led multiple drives at the end of halves and games resulting in points. Two drives ended with the ball in our RBs hands yesterday. The QB had no negative impact on either of those drives. One drive failed because our WR couldn’t catch a very catchable ball.

He was solid yesterday. And one of your better offensive players. There are many adjectives to describe you based on this post. None of them positive.

But it is apparent that many here are not willing to let go of preconceived notions based on last year. Here’s a little reminder. Every QB alive misses open receivers, throws some less than great balls, and makes some poor decisions. And quite many improve over time.

With respect to Quinn, he’s got the arm of a “perfect” recruit. If that is what it takes to run Sarks offense, it is a shitty offense. He calls some great plays. But damn if some aren’t just awful.

It's not a preconceived notion. It's what I see when I watch the kid play. 

4 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Not trying to be too funny but I swear you had this same argument during the Herman reign(or maybe it was late in the Strong regime). Either way, we're back to the same crap. New incompetent boss same as the old incompetent boss. 

Maybe I'm just too old understand it anymore but I thought part of coaching(as in life) is to make due with what you got. Not pout because you don't have what you want. 

I hated Herman before we ever hired him and pretty much didn't post through his entire tenure here. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Had Enough said:

You have to look at context. We had some wrinkles that worked and got us out and going. Teams make adjustments, then players need to make plays. Look at our drive chart in the second half and then tell me again how Card played a nice clean game. We couldn't move the football in the second half. Sure he made a solid throw to force overtime, but we don't even need that if we didn't have only 138 yards all the second half on six total drives. We needed to make plays and we didn't. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, chemHORN said:

I feel like the gameplan was built around Worthy.  Once he went out it was deer in the headlights play calls the rest of the game.  Seems like Sark comes up with good offensive game plans but if the game dictates a need to move away from it, it's just deer in headlights.  

I doubt any game plan is built around a 160 lb. WR who is probably at 75% to begin with. Maybe.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

It's not a preconceived notion. It's what I see when I watch the kid play. 

I hated Herman before we ever hired him and pretty much didn't post through his entire tenure here. 

Then I guess it was when Charlie changed OC's and we were having the same issue.

It's not that I don't understand your point and recognize that a diverse offense is much better than a one dimensional system. But if something consistently doesn't work and the coach just wants to run it because it's his system, you have to find something that works. And not make it easy  your for opponent.

So. Next day thoughts.

1. The offense did fine considering the circumstances. 3 of our starting OL are freshmen. X was out with injury, and Card can't really get it to him anyway. Card actually vastly exceeded my expectations, but that just means he was a JAG instead of absolute garbage. We scored 34 points. Which should be enough.

2. The defense was absolute trash. And by defense, I mean the back 7 in particular. It's painful to watch offenses with 5A high school levels of talent methodically work their ways downfield against us, exploiting soft coverage underneath on every damn play. Bo Davis is the only defensive coach I'd retain. And the secondary defends the pass like they're checking their phones at the snap. They suck ass and don't care that they suck ass.

The problems on offense already have the fixes in place, and as I said before the season, they aren't going to solve our problems this year. They're actually doing a lot better than I expected so far, given the youth and injuries. 

The defense is bad and I don't see anything in place to fix it.

Should we fire Sark? Not yet. But everyone on defense, coaches to players, needs to get their bags packed.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Should we fire Sark? Not yet. But everyone on defense, coaches to players, needs to get their bags packed.

I've seen this movie before. 

There will be a staff overhaul for a lame duck coach in year 3. Texas tried the same thing prior to Strong's year 3 and Herman's year 4. 

• Rage+1 1

A head coach can correct mistakes with bad hires but Sark has already had to fire the wide receivers coach and now most of the defensive staff needs to be replaced.

When a head coach misses this badly on initial hires it's not a good sign. It's why I didn't expect anything different with Herman or Strong after all the staff changes. The problem starts at the top.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Wait, the attitude, preparation, mindset and all that was so much different than last season. The bad apples were gone, discarded from the program. 

I swear you can rinse and repeat these nauseating lines every year in early September. Especially in Austin. 

The season may change. But the results haven't. 13 fucking years and running...

A head coach can correct mistakes with bad hires but Sark has already had to fire the wide receivers coach and now most of the defensive staff needs to be replaced.
When a head coach misses this badly on initial hires it's not a good sign. It's why I didn't expect anything different with Herman or Strong after all the staff changes. The problem starts at the top.  

I like that Sark preaches continuity but then keeps on a trash coordinator with half the staff not even selected by said coordinator. He’s clueless on D. Contrarily, Aranda saw a problem and fired his O coordinator after one year even though he’s a Defensive guy. That’s the difference between a good and mediocre to poor HC. Sark would drive with a flat tire knowing that it’ll eventually blow out instead of going to Discount tire before it’s too late. Just like his 2 predecessors.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Wait, the attitude, preparation, mindset and all that was so much different than last season. The bad apples were gone, discarded from the program. 

I swear you can rinse and repeat these nauseating lines every year in early September. Especially in Austin

The season may change. But the results haven't. 13 fucking years and running...

That's why I never listen to that bullshit any more.

What I'm looking for this year is: Which positions and platoons improve over the course of the season, and which stay the same or regress?

Our kicking game has improved in just a few games. Game over game. Vastly.

Card has exceeded my expectations; I never thought he'd even be serviceable, and yet he was JAG-quality. That's an improvement for him. He actually had a TD drive yesterday where he threw the ball out of bounds to avoid a sack and dumped the ball off to keep the chains moving a couple of times. That's actual, verifiable improvement. And not the sort of thing we've seen from previous "struggling to adjust from the Lake Travis single read offense" QBs we've had under other coaches.

Our DL has also, like Card, gone from a complete liability to serviceable. We've actually gotten pressure on QBs.

So those have gotten better already. Better since last year, and better since the ULM game. Some have improved week over week!

Now, for staying the same: LB is bad, and we knew that going into the season. We need to recruit or get transfers to fix that position.

And for getting worse: I have no idea what's going on with our DBs, and neither do they. And they don't seem to even care that they're getting worse. I know that the secondary has never been PK's focus, but this is neglect. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You have to look at context. We had some wrinkles that worked and got us out and going. Teams make adjustments, then players need to make plays. Look at our drive chart in the second half and then tell me again how Card played a nice clean game. We couldn't move the football in the second half. Sure he made a solid throw to force overtime, but we don't even need that if we didn't have only 138 yards all the second half on six total drives. We needed to make plays and we didn't. 

Doesn’t losing Worthy have something to do with that second half performance? Not that Card has a great deep arm, but he did hit Worthy on a long ball in the first half. After Worthy went out we had no downfield threat for them to worry about and they could compress the defense vertically to take away the shorter stuff and the run (the very things we should have been doing on defense ourselves)

The problem many of us have with what's been going on with this team for far too long is that we grew up in Texas, rooting for the best coaches and best talent around at both the university (UT) and professional (Cowboys) level. Landry and Royal teams were always prepared. Those two coaches almost never made technical mistakes such as when to stop the clock, when to punt, etc, and they always had a great play up their sleeve when the chips were down.

The fucking Tech coach was begging for us to put him away in the third quarter when he gave us the ball at midfield in his first possession of the half. The offensive game plan looked like it was put together by a losing high school coach - for mediocre high school players.

Where was the play action? Where was the deception? Pump fakes, anyone? You've got speed, you've got power. You've got a very solid QB, and you go to the fucking Wildcard in desperation? Even though in 2 previous attempts it fell flat on its face? I didn't see Tech pulling their QB on the critical downs. 

I thought we had a coach who was in control - who knew what he was doing. He got his ass kicked by an under-manned coach, yesterday. Seems to me the Tech coach made some great adjustments. Why couldn't we counter those? It's called "knowing football."

If that shit is going to continue, then just give us Patterson. You think Manning is going to stick around if this shit show continues?

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't give a shit. Permaban me. 

That's the most unacceptable fucking loss I've ever fucking seen from this football team.

Find the right guy. I don't know who it is but it isn't this chode. Losing the fanbase 4 fucking games into your 2nd season has to be some sort of record. 

That's the most embarrassing fucking loss I've ever seen in my God damn life. 

That's the most embarrassing loss you've seen? You obviously weren't alive for the McWilliams or Mackovic eras. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

• ztejas changed the title to ztejas sucks