Game Week- TCU

Wulaw Horn

2 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Always interesting to me how fanbases that haven't won a damn thing in the modern era (yes, I'm looking at you too aggy and Baylor) develop Bama level cockiness with a few years of modest success.

🙄 Because there aren't any similar posts on every other college football message board. 

2 hours ago, royiv said:

🙄 Because there aren't any similar posts on every other college football message board. 

Find me one person on this site that has referred to any game this season as being our "super bowl". Not including us referring to how other fans feel about playing Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't think after our offensive struggles in the 2nd half the entire season you magically play 4 quarters of football, but I do give us a decent chance to put 2.5 to 3 quarters together of quality offensive football.  3 quarters might lead to 42+ points, which is still not enough considering we literally struggle to guard the green turf in the secondary, especially in the 2nd halves.  4th quarter lead for us has to be at least two touchdowns.  

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

QE before kickoff: “hey guys this is our Super Bowl. This is what we have been dreaming about since we were in diapers. Beating TCU! Now isn’t the time to be nervous. This is our time!”

These fucking idiots are somehow looking down their noses at the fact that we are creating a big recruiting weekend out of gameday and a nationally televised night game on one of the last home weekends of the season, and less than 6 weeks to NSD? As if almost every team we play every year on the road doesn't make us their homecoming game and big recruiting weekend. The hubris sets in quickly when you are having a good season. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, JGrayDBU said:

I don't think after our offensive struggles in the 2nd half the entire season you magically play 4 quarters of football, but I do give us a decent chance to put 2.5 to 3 quarters together of quality offensive football.  3 quarters might lead to 42+ points, which is still not enough considering we literally struggle to guard the green turf in the secondary, especially in the 2nd halves.  4th quarter lead for us has to be at least two touchdowns.  

Just need to run the ball. That will bring consistency. That and stop the ridiculous pre-snap penalties. 

Thanks to all of the Veterans !!!

Requarding the picture/tweet. WTF...one that's not a jacket it's an old BDU top. Plus there have been 3 uniform upgrades since this and this is the one they select. Lastly, ask any old vet (retired AF here) nobody wants to wear their old uniform ever again DCU, BDU, ABU, or OCP.
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

Find me one person on this site that has referred to any game this season as being our "super bowl". Not including us referring to how other fans feel about playing Texas.

Hey Peruna, there's a lot of delusional posts on the football board. If you don't recognize that, you're out of your mind. Every sports board has lots of dumb takes. Including this one. Surly has had its fair share of appearances on Message Board Geniuses.

Edited by royiv

We should have won that game. Made Duggan look a fucking All-American and then fucking Keontay Ingram costed us the game by fumbling at the 2 yard line. 

Well, good thing Texas hasn’t let any opposing QB’s over achieve or fumbled away a game this year.
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Because there aren't any similar posts on every other college football message board. 

It’s normal for there to be more excitement when a highly ranked team comes to town than when, say, UTEP does.

It’s not normal to confuse that with a game’s being the Super Bowl for Texas, Alabama, or whatever blue blood that has attendance at any given game that’s twice your stadium’s capacity.

If Texas has a Super Bowl in the regular season, it’s in Dallas. There’s an argument that could be made for Bama, LSU, or ND-type games. TCU is an important game with some external hype.

A few team notes from IT

Spoiler

This Saturday’s game versus TCU is too exciting to wait until Thursday night talk to sourcing so Inside Texas made some calls last night to see how preparation for the big game is going. At stake for Texas, the chance to continue its Big 12 Championship hopes. At stake for TCU, its lofty No. 4 playoff ranking.

A night game in a highly charged DKR in perfect fall football weather is quite the stage for such a game. ESPN GameDay knows, and so does *checks notes* Third Eye Blind who will play a concert at Longhorn City Limits before the game. Apparently they, too, can’t wait to see How’s it Going to Be.

As you’d expect with this game in front of them and the hard-fought win in Manhattan behind them, this is an excited squad. That has been reflected in their preparation this week. Practices have been highly energized. “They’re dialed in. They know how big the game is, and they tend to show up for big games.” Sark is going to have to find a way to temper their excitement come kick off so they can play with focus.

In checking on injuries, senior Anthony Cook has essentially returned to his normal workload after barely practicing last week. Ryan Watts is getting better, too. IT was told of no other injuries. Quinn Ewers took a couple hard hits last Saturday but he’s throwing the ball like normal in practice. 

Team periods have been spirited and fast-paced and featured a lot of work on 3rd downs for both offense and defense. Practice has gone well in that regard but there are still plenty of teachable moments that need to be addressed before Saturday.

Special teams was excellent in coverage last week and will need to be again with the formidable Derius Davis returning punts. “Special teams plays hard, lots of team leaders out there. They love Coach Banks and trust him fully to have them ready.”

Perhaps the greatest concern coming into the game is TCU’s wide receiver corps versus the Texas secondary. Sources believe similarly to many here in that TCU has the best receivers in the league, and the best receivers Texas will see this year to include Alabama. Without saying too much, Texas will mix coverages but more likely err on the side of simplicity this week. Nobody is paying attention to any possibility Quentin Johnston will be less than 100% healthy. “Seems like everybody plays against Texas, but we know none of the Texas guys would want to miss this one, either.”

Inside Texas asked about freshman linebacker Morice Blackwell‘s usage. He played early against KSU but had some struggles. The source acknowledged his inexperience but mentioned “he’s fast, physical, gets his hands on the football and practices well.” 

We’ll endeavor to get more team info for tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

I mean, I know its full name is DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium, but does anyone call it anything besides DKR when they're just talking?

The Stadium. Same as when someone asks where you went to college, the answer is either "Texas" or "The University".

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

We should have won that game. Made Duggan look a fucking All-American and then fucking Keontay Ingram costed us the game by fumbling at the 2 yard line. 

thanks, i somehow blocked that out of my memory until now 

he didn't as much fumble as reach out with the ball and hand it to them