Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I keep going back to this: UT also released a letter to Beard’s lawyer in which the school’s VP of legal affairs wrote that Beard “does not understand the significance of the behavior he knows he engaged in.”

I don’t know what dealings Beard and his lawyer has had with UT/AD/Legal Dept since the incident/arrest…so it’s difficult for me not to read into that. Was he just not very contrite or willing to work with UT to rehab his image or take recommended steps or did UT not offer him a path for this at all. The wording of it makes me think Beard did something additional to piss them off since the arrest…but who the hell knows? 

Whatever the reason(s) we weren’t willing to see how the charges played out/to see if they were dropped and that’s about all we do know. 

i'm going to guess (SOLELY MY GUESS) that he truly believes he is innocent and was not being contrite, humble or willing to admit his part in what happened. So on top of the mug shot, he was probably being a fucking dick about his innocence.  UT did what UT had to do.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I keep going back to this: UT also released a letter to Beard’s lawyer in which the school’s VP of legal affairs wrote that Beard “does not understand the significance of the behavior he knows he engaged in.”

I don’t know what dealings Beard and his lawyer has had with UT/AD/Legal Dept since the incident/arrest…so it’s difficult for me not to read into that. Was he just not very contrite or willing to work with UT to rehab his image or take recommended steps or did UT not offer him a path for this at all. The wording of it makes me think Beard did something additional to piss them off since the arrest…but who the hell knows? 

Whatever the reason(s) we weren’t willing to see how the charges played out/to see if they were dropped and that’s about all we do know. 

Fair take.  But I would also add that, if the reports are true about charges possibly being dropped as early as today or tomorrow, that the timing of The University's firing was all about getting ahead of those charges being dropped so as to limit the complications of dealing with questions of their actions which in my opinion reduces any public strategy that they were "waiting for their internal investigations to play out", etc.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I get all that.  But if (1) the UT fanbase never finds out what Beard may have done/not done to piss off the University or give them reason to say that he "doesn't understand the significance of the behavior he knows he's engaged in," (2) Beard is never indicted, (3) Texas hires Shaka Smart 2.0, and (4) Beard goes to another school and does well there, then there's going to be a significant number of Texas fans - many of whom bought season tickets at the new Moody arena with high expectations of the Beard era - who will be real fucking unhappy with the University.

I still can't say whether Texas firing Beard is the right call or not, because I believe we're all lacking significant information on what led Texas to make that call at this point in time. 

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

i'm going to guess (SOLELY MY GUESS) that he truly believes he is innocent and was not being contrite, humble or willing to admit his part in what happened. So on top of the mug shot, he was probably being a fucking dick about his innocence.  UT did what UT had to do.  

Unless he truly is innocent and himself a victim domestic violence.  Then that would suck.

now do I think that is likely, probably not.  But it is a possibility.  Hopefully our AD knows more than we do  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't know about the charges being dropped, but it doesn't seem like there'd be much of a case with a victim on the defendant's side.

All we got from the DA’s office is this statement right before Beard was fired:

“The Travis County District Attorney's office confirmed Wednesday that prosecutors are reviewing the case against Texas men's basketball head coach Chris Beard to determine whether it will go forward. 

In its first public comments since Beard's arrest Dec. 12 on domestic violence charges, the office said that it is "evaluating all the evidence, including recent statements and all evidence collected by law enforcement."

"Our office takes all allegations of domestic violence seriously," the statement said. "In each case, we are committed to working through the unique challenges presented."

That’s all we’ve got. I get not waiting around for the FOIA and not waiting around for the DA to make a decision. We’d all agree he was a once in a lifetime hire so we will see what comes out in the coming days and weeks. I’d like to think a lot of thought and such went into the firing as this is a huge loss for the program so I’m trying to give UT the benefit of the doubt.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Revisionist history is what this site does best.

Every game the next coach loses will be a “well if Beard was coaching that game” debate. 

Yeah, they'll be a lot of post-game "what if Beard was on the sidelines."  Perfectly natural, I won't fault anybody for discussing it.  But after March, that shit ends.  

I'm guessing, as most of you are, Beard sits out entirely for 2023-24.  "works on himself", journaling, counseling, etc.  I doubt he even takes on so much as a consulting or broadcast role.  And then storms out in 2024-25 at a mid-tier program for 3 years and is back in the spotlight by the end of the decade and we're just some asterisk in his coaching bio.  

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

also, fwiw, while his team probably would have eventually gotten over it and welcomed him back, his players were not happy with the events of NYC

That must have been one crazy fight in NYC. For their relationship to become that much of a distraction for the program and for him to remain in it, doesn't speak well of his judgment at all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, YGIFS said:

Yeah, they'll be a lot of post-game "what if Beard was on the sidelines."  Perfectly natural, I won't fault anybody for discussing it.  But after March, that shit ends.  

I'm guessing, as most of you are, Beard sits out entirely for 2023-24.  "works on himself", journaling, counseling, etc.  I doubt he even takes on so much as a consulting or broadcast role.  And then storms out in 2024-25 at a mid-tier program for 3 years and is back in the spotlight by the end of the decade and we're just some asterisk in his coaching bio.  

That timeline is conservative.

As long as the charges are dropped, he will be back on the sideline next year and will be at a power 5 program within the next few years.

We (Texas) get the short end of the stick on all of this. Some other school in a year will get to say "We did our due diligence and homework on Chris Beard and are very comfortable with what we found. He was not charged, etc."

It sucks but it is just the way it is. Best way for us to move past it is to make a strong hire, be extremely active in the portal since we are probably about to lose 80% of this team and figure out a way to return to normal asap. The good news is college basketball rebuilds might have the shortest time frame out of any of the 3 major sports. 

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

also, fwiw, while his team probably would have eventually gotten over it and welcomed him back, his players were not happy with the events of NYC, so when the shit continued back at home and even escalated to the point of a DV dispute resulting in a felony charge, the guys on the team were already just about done with any patience they were having for Beard and his insane lover. the guy fucked us. 

I must have missed this but there was an incident in NYC between Beard and the fiance?

I think these players are rightfully pissed that Beard derailed what could have been a special season. Many of them returned to go chase a Big 12 and National Championship and it just got exponentially harder.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

As long as the charges are dropped, he will be back on the sideline next year and will be at a power 5 program within the next few years.

If the charges are dropped he could absolutely be at an aggy/Tech type program next year. 

Has there been a high profile pro or college football or basketball coach arrested for felony domestic assault before or after getting the job?  I could not find much.  Juwan Howard had an allegation but no charge when he was in the NBA.  Lamont Smith at SDSU had a charge and then resigned (and was later hired by Rodney Terry before he resigned that job too for a different charge). 

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If the charges are dropped he could absolutely be at an aggy/Tech type program next year. 

A&M should hire him as soon as the charges are dismissed. He will get another job and will win. After the charges are dropped no one will care.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, CTC2 said:

A&M should hire him as soon as the charges are dismissed. He will get another job and will win. After the charges are dropped no one will care.  

I know he went to school here and everything, but he's probably gonna be pissed enough to take that job. 

4 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Referring to the post above about FOIA requests outstanding, do you know what’s on the tapes or injury photos?  Either or both could make your scenario way more difficult.  People care about images and sound bites.  

Edited by ClubWhatever

19 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

Chris Beard will have a Paul Qui redemption trajectory. Anyone heard from Paul lately other than his two failed re-openings? No?

to be fair, Beard was never as good at anything at Qui was at cooking and cooking competitions.

Qui moved to Denver and opened a new place there? Koko Ni in October 2022

https://www.restaurant-hospitality.com/new-restaurant-concepts/paul-qui-brings-his-passion-project-denver

1 minute ago, TreatyOak said:

To anyone upset that Coach Beard will go on to great success without us, I hope he does. I hope he has a long, successful career.  

And to anyone saying that this will soon be forgotten and we should have kept him, I don't care. 

This photo, along with the police report of bruises and bite marks, makes me agree 100% with this statement issued by the university

Fight me.  

Beard.jpg 

I am 100% in agreement with you.

He will go have success elsewhere, but his termination is entirely his own fault. No one forced him to retaliate against Randi if she started it.  No one forced his lawyer to release that bogus statement.  

If Derka's long winded story is true that the players were tired of his and Randi's drama, then it's a far bigger problem that he was carrying his personal live into the locker room. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I am 100% in agreement with you.

He will go have success elsewhere, but his termination is entirely his own fault. No one forced him to retaliate against Randi if she started it.  No one forced his lawyer to release that bogus statement.  

If Derka's long winded story is true that the players were tired of his and Randi's drama, then it's a far bigger problem that he was carrying his personal live into the locker room. 

7 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

To anyone upset that Coach Beard will go on to great success without us, I hope he does. I hope he has a long, successful career.  

And to anyone saying that this will soon be forgotten and we should have kept him, I don't care. 

This photo, along with the police report of bruises and bite marks, makes me agree 100% with this statement issued by the university

Fight me.  

Beard.jpg 

Agree with you both. One variable not considered in this: if Randi and Chris stay together and the rumors are true that they have a highly volatile toxic and abusive (be it verbal or physical) going way back to Lubbock days the odds of another incident are extremely high. I never thought that incident a few weeks ago was the first time but I hoped it would be the last as these two would realize that without tons of therapy and counseling their relationship is headed for nothing good. Even with that…they don’t seem (neither does she from her statements) to recognize the gravity of their situation nor the charges nor the fact that this is not a business as usual relationship. Maybe for them it is but at least the next time they decide to go three or so rounds he won’t be on our watch nor on our payroll. Because no matter what if these two stay together and someone gets hurt or killed the media and SM will place some blame on UT. And that’s not something anyone should feel comfortable with at all. And it doesn’t sound like these two fucking get it so goodbye. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Fight me.  

Beard.jpg 

This.

But if I were to hope anything from him - get some help with whatever issues he has that got us to this situation. Because unless it's fixed, he risks getting here again.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Referring to the post above about FOIA requests outstanding, do you know what’s on the tapes or injury photos?  Either or both could make your scenario way more difficult.  People care about images and sound bites.  

Yes

13 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well pepper your angus, because everything from here on out is going to be a PR spin job to get Beard back on the sideline as soon as possible. When the case is dropped in a few weeks you are going to think Beard’s lawyer won the Super Bowl with the type of smoke he is going to blow up people’s asses. Prepare for lots of lawyer statements and image rehab tricks. None of it means he shouldn’t have been fired at Texas.

As a matter of fact, the spin job tactics they are about to deploy are targeted for the type of people just like you who think the exact thing you just posted.

I understand there will be a lot of spin, but there will also be a clearer picture of what happened (photos, maybe even the vaunted audio recording).

24 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Fight me.  

Beard.jpg 

You really hope he has great success at our competition?  

you are a far more generous person than I am.

he needs to fail And fail spectacularly 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The fact that it seems like the relationship that resulted in a phone call to police and a felony domestic violence charge isn't going to be over is more than enough for me to say UT made the right call.

I think we are being a tad judgmental about his personal preference in women.

9 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The fact that it seems like the relationship that resulted in a phone call to police and a felony domestic violence charge isn't going to be over is more than enough for me to say UT made the right call.

This is why Beard was DOA as soon as that call was made regardless of whatever really happened.  The only way he had a chance to keep his job was (i) sufficient recant by Randi + cleared of all charges and (ii) the relationship being completely over (and frankly evidence that he was leaving her which instigated everything).  He obviously needed her to play ball in order to get a statement out of her (i.e., likely some continuation of a relationship) and I don't think the statement provided by Randi was even sufficient to satisfy(i) as it was clearly drafted by her lawyer to protect her against charges she filed a false police report.   I mean his only shot was a retraction so strong Randi risked being charged over it while he was able to simultaneously drag her through the mud while telling his side of the story.  That's what it would have taken absent actual evidence she made it all up.  Was just never going to happen. 

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So what's the over/under on seasons to Beard's next gig?  I say 3.  He's too talented a coach for someone not to give him a shot - particularly if he does some kind of redemptive exercise.

Honestly, he's so talented that I think it's going to be next season unless some small/middling program gets ahead of the game and hires him this year.  Luis Suarez bites Chiellini in the 2014 World Cup...........his club, Liverpool, releases him..........within days he signs with Barcelona and wins The Champions League that season.........that seems to be the way these situations play out and it has never made a lot of sense to me.  I guess it does make sense to the rest of the world.....  

Edited by Steelers Roll Left

49 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

One caveat- for any decent program, he’s going to have to break with his girlfriend. Maybe he has already. Maybe she has. Maybe it’s not announced. Maybe they’re negotiating. Maybe he really loves her. But, it’ll have to happen. Part of Texas’ hands being tied is because the relationship is still a loose end. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This is why Beard was DOA as soon as that call was made regardless of whatever really happened.  The only way he had a chance to keep his job was (i) sufficient recant by Randi + cleared of all charges and (ii) the relationship being completely over (and frankly evidence that he was leaving her which instigated everything).  He obviously needed her to play ball in order to get a statement out of her (i.e., likely some continuation of a relationship) and I don't think the statement provided by Randi was even sufficient to satisfy(i) as it was clearly drafted by her lawyer to protect her against charges she filed a false police report.   I mean his only shot was a retraction so strong Randi risked being charged over it while he was able to simultaneously drag her through the mud while telling his side of the story.  That's what it would have taken absent actual evidence she made it all up.  Was just never going to happen. 

Said better than I could. UT can’t wait around for him to work things out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You know, if I am head basketball coach at UT, pulling in about $5M annually, I am with someone a hell of a lot more attractive, intelligent and established than Randi Flippin' Trew. If the crazy runs deep in her, you allow her to fuck you a few times and then move on.  You don't get engaged to the crazy.

And ... I don't want to say that she has a body to die for and a face to protect it  .... but ...

image.thumb.png.803905872c7f640e79f9d0d0f3bf4dc1.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, statsman said:

Said better than I could. UT can’t wait around for him to work things out. 

More than that say they stay together or get back together or maybe the have broken up and it’s over between them. Maybe a few months later (saying no marriage will be happening) she decides to say that Chris pressured her to recant so he could keep his job at UT and he’s still hired here…this was done from the moment it happened and 911 was then called. I was only really surprised by the timing of it yesterday which felt out of the blue. I thought a slim chance we keep him but all the variables told me from the beginning there was no way we could. 

And it will probably escalate from here. The next time one of them might end up in the hospital or worse. Not even a NC would be enough to wash that stench away.

Some dudes just never learn. It took a knife then a gun but I figured that shit out 20 years ago.
  • Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Honestly, he's so talented that I think it's going to be next season unless some small/middling program gets ahead of the game and hires him this year.  Luis Suarez bites Chiellini in the 2014 World Cup...........his club, Liverpool, releases him..........within days he signs with Barcelona and wins The Champions League that season.........that seems to be the way these situations play out and it has never made a lot of sense to me.  I guess it does make sense to the rest of the world.....  

I would argue that pros vs college isn't much of a comparison. Pros are in a single business of sports. While colleges are so much more, education, etc. Even college sports team are a lot more that just wins/losses and the University's letter to Minton outline it, namely helping young men develop (character, education, "success in lives after graduation").

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You act like there's only one crazy person in the relationship. I'm guessing that they're probably two peas in a pod.

A wise man once said, on a different message board, “Most people’s lives are a lot more screwed up than you think they are”.

• Hook 'Em 2

1.) Yes, I think Beard will be out to “get revenge” in a sense by doing anything necessary to land a P5 job and win a NC.

2.) How does UT not know the difference between Acting and Interim? Since Beard has now been fired, Terry is now the Interim HC, not the Acting HC.

14 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Idk if this is just a defense attorney thing, but his lawyer sounds like an ambulance chaser and he can't even be bothered to fucking spell shit right. I would be beside myself if I was paying an attorney that much and he sent out a letter that wasn't at least spell checked. Rudy vibes.

Maybe he picks lawyers like he picks girlfriends

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Skipper said:

That's probably only part of it.  My guess is that he would also have had to express remorse and contrition for the incident, and agreed to undergo anger management and/or substance abuse counseling while on suspension.  The fact that he, through his lawyer, continued to contend that he did absolutely nothing wrong, and would be found completely innocent indicates that none of this was going to happen, and the fact that there are now photos of him in a prison jump suit standing before the man indicate that he did, in fact, do something wrong.  And one more thing...why the fuck was she in NYC with the team?  Since when did people start taking their significant others on business trips?

Edited by 83Horn

• immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi
  • immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi