Celebrity Death Pool -- 2023

Aqua Buddha

Jimmy.....this one hurts. I became a Parrothead my freshman year at UT. I loved his music and enjoyed his novel about some guy named Joe Merchant. He was a great storyteller. I went to his first Margaritaville restaurant in Key West and wished I had been there in the 80s while he was still there. Somewhere along the way, he became less and less important to me. But for quite a while, I was a big fan. 

"If it suddenly ended tomorrow I could somehow adjust to the fall
Good times and riches and son-of-a-bitches I've seen more than I can recall" 

RIP, Jimmy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Well, shit.
My two best friends in high school were big parrot heads, so by extension, I kinda was as well, for a while at least. Come Monday. He Went to Paris. A Pirate Looks at Forty. He had some gems that I appreciate now more than I appreciated back in the day.
Now, I live just over a mile away from the bar that inspired Jimmy to write Margaritaville.
And of course, at a Jimmy show at Southern Star amphitheater in the 80s, fueled by the large canteen of tequila I smuggled in and shared with my fellow travelers on the lawn…I came as close as I ever got to the mother-daughter combo. Cheers, Jimmy. Sorry I let you down that night - I presume that you were pulling for me to close the deal.

• Hook 'Em 2

Went to see him in 76 with my college roommate.  The Great Filling Station Holdup was kind of our theme song that year and A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean is still my favorite album of his.  I'll toast him with  margarita tonight while he's eating his cheeseburger in paradise.  RIP, and thanks for all of the beach sunsets I've seen while listening to your songs.

• Hook 'Em 1

Never a parrot head, but shit his tunes were in the background of more than a few good times. Only time I ever saw the guy was at Jazzfest in early 2000's. It was hot as fuck, a damn good time, and I left with a SWA stewardess. I'll raise a glass this evening!

Raise-a-glass-to-freedom GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1

I grew up on a sailboat listening to all his tapes from A1A on. I could sing every song by heart and still can. When I was a kid I only had one song I didn't know and when I heard it for the first time it pissed me off my parents had been hiding it from me (for good reason). If you are a parrothead, you know which one.

RIP LEGEND.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, shit.
My two best friends in high school were big parrot heads, so by extension, I kinda was as well, for a while at least. Come Monday. He Went to Paris. A Pirate Looks at Forty. He had some gems that I appreciate now more than I appreciated back in the day.

This times a thousand.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

His official site has a nice obituary

https://www.jimmybuffett.com/obituary

And mentions the cause of death: "Buffett, 76, had been fighting Merkel Cell Skin Cancer for four years. He continued to perform during treatment, playing his last show, a surprise appearance in Rhode Island, in early July."

Donations: In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to Jimmy Buffett’s Foundation Singing for Change, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Dana Farber Cancer Institute or MD Anderson Cancer Center.

• Hook 'Em 5

A lot of Buffet songs are what I'd consider "gimmicky", but listened to Come Monday a few times this weekend and that's just a perfect 1970's tune. Watched an interview where he played it on Letterman in the early 1980's and described it as "the song that kept me from killing myself while living in a Howard Johnson in Marin County."

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

A lot of Buffet songs are what I'd consider "gimmicky", but listened to Come Monday a few times this weekend and that's just a perfect 1970's tune. Watched an interview where he played it on Letterman in the early 1980's and described it as "the song that kept me from killing myself while living in a Howard Johnson in Marin County."

He Went to Paris

• Hook 'Em 2

Tin Cup Chalice, Son of a Son of a Sailor, A Pirate Looks at Forty, and Bama Breeze are all great songs.

Yeah, the Buffet songs you hear on the radio can be a bit "gimmicky", but he wrote some great songs that you never hear on radio outside XM's Margaritaville channel.

• Hook 'Em 2

Which is now "High 5" owned by some Texas Exes.  They had a party there, IIRC, for the 40th (maybe) anniversary of the song.  Or something like that.  Or were planning something big but Covid.  In any event, maybe they'll do something to mark his passing. . 

There's more serious fans of his on the music thread, and I was not a serious fan.  I liked him enough in high school and played a few of his songs on my radio show.  Started undergrad in Florida and every weekend at New Smyrna Beach and then Spring Break in Key West, got to like his deeper catalog.  But by the time I moved to Austin, my enthusiasm had waned.  And god rest his soul, but I fucking hate "Cheeseburger in Paradise."  Song makes my fucking teeth itch.  Saw him live at Jazz Fest which was fun because it wasn't exclusively parrotheads but just a great blend of people and musical stylings.  But the guy was an all-around fascinating cat from adventurer, pilot, songwriter, performer, author, businessman, etc.  

But the song that still gets me in the feels is "One Particular Harbour."  I don't know if I am some suppressed memory about the girl that got away in Florida or something, but I absolutely embrace that song.  It blended E-major with Tahitian lyrics and steel drums.  Not an easy trifecta to pull off.  Woefully underrated in his catalogue. 

Anyway, he will be missed by even the most casual of fans.   And apparently a helluva nice guy IRL.

• Hook 'Em 3

Paul McCartney
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cws3dg_s7Ai/

It seems that so many wonderful people are leaving this world, and now Jimmy Buffett is one of them. I’ve known Jimmy for some time and found him to be one of the kindest and most generous people. 

I remember once on holiday when I had forgotten to bring my guitar and was itching to play. He said he would get me one of his, but I said, ‘I’m left-handed’. So, Jimmy had his roadie restring one of his guitars which he loaned me for the duration of the holiday. He then followed this act of generosity by giving me my own beautiful left-handed guitar that had been made by one of his guitar-making pals. It’s a beautiful instrument, and every time I play it now it’ll remind me of what a great man Jimmy was. 

He had a most amazing lust for life and a beautiful sense of humour. When we swapped tales about the past his were so exotic and lush and involved sailing trips and surfing and so many exciting stories that it was hard for me to keep up with him. 

Right up to the last minute his eyes still twinkled with a humour that said, ‘I love this world and I’m going to enjoy every minute of it’. 

So many of us will miss Jimmy and his tremendous personality. His love for us all, and for mankind as a whole. 

Last, but not least, is his songwriting and vocal ability. If someone made an interesting remark he repeated it in his gorgeous Louisiana drawl and said, ‘That’s a good idea for a song’. Most times it didn’t take too long for that song to appear. I was very happy to have played on one of his latest songs called ‘My Gummy Just Kicked In’. We had a real fun session and he played me some of his new songs. One, in particular, I loved was the song, ‘Bubbles Up’. And I told him that not only was the song great but the vocal was probably the best I’ve heard him sing ever. He turned a diving phrase that is used to train people underwater into a metaphor for life when you’re confused and don’t know where you are just follow the bubbles - they’ll take you up to the surface and straighten you out right away. 

So long, Jim. You are a very special man and friend and it was a great privilege to get to know you and love you. Bubbles up, my friend. 

Love, Paul

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

On 9/4/2023 at 4:21 PM, MrBig said:

Guy was a drunk throwing nazi salutes on stage. Good riddance

When was that?  If it was the event that caused him to retire 2 years ago, that might have been the liver failure.  High ammonia level causes confusion. I have no idea what kind of guy he is, but if that was considered unusual for him maybe it was his medical issues.  Or alcohol….

Fuck!  Dude was one of my favorite country singers who not many had heard of.  Never got the notoriety he deserved (other than being married and divorced from a Dixie Chick).  My Hometown is one a great song.  It was the epitome of many boys who grew up in a small town hoping to one day leave....only to return.

Gonna pack his bags a little heavy this time
Gonna head his ass back home

• Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

23 hours ago, Lhorn said:

When was that?  If it was the event that caused him to retire 2 years ago, that might have been the liver failure.  High ammonia level causes confusion. I have no idea what kind of guy he is, but if that was considered unusual for him maybe it was his medical issues.  Or alcohol….

Yeah, he was quite a bit sicker than your average drunk.  Quite out of his gourd.

• Rage+1 1

Fuck!  Dude was one of my favorite country singers who not many had heard of.  Never got the notoriety he deserved (other than being married and divorced from a Dixie Chick).  My Hometown is one a great song.  It was the epitome of many boys who grew up in a small town hoping to one day leave....only to return.
Gonna pack his bags a little heavy this time
Gonna head his ass back home

Always like that song.

Hell, forgot my daughter went to high school with Bruce Robison's oldest kid.  Mentioned Charlie's passing to her, and she answered "oh no, Dodie's uncle?  Dodie's such a nice guy."

Always heard good things about the Robisons here.  Never got to spend any time with Charlie, but I remember a coupla times sitting around with Bruce watching the kids run around, including once at Phil's Icehouse, we drank beer and shot the shit while our kids ran around and scraped their knees.  And of course, I've had a crush on Kelly Willis for 30+ years.  She was always super nice (and quiet) too.  Talented family.  But I'm guessing complicated -- Charlie divorced Emily and lived hard, Bruce and Kelly are now divorced (although I think still on quite good terms).  Sigh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Hell, forgot my daughter went to high school with Bruce Robison's oldest kid.  Mentioned Charlie's passing to her, and she answered "oh no, Dodie's uncle?  Dodie's such a nice guy."

Always heard good things about the Robisons here.  Never got to spend any time with Charlie, but I remember a coupla times sitting around with Bruce watching the kids run around, including once at Phil's Icehouse, we drank beer and shot the shit while our kids ran around and scraped their knees.  And of course, I've had a crush on Kelly Willis for 30+ years.  She was always super nice (and quiet) too.  Talented family.  But I'm guessing complicated -- Charlie divorced Emily and lived hard, Bruce and Kelly are now divorced (although I think still on quite good terms).  Sigh.

I saw him live maybe 6 years ago - someplace near 6th in Austin - maybe Maggie Maes - but probably Antone's.