The Undercard: Fiesta Bowl: Michigan Vs TCU

Juicy

2 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That should be an illegal forward pass. The OL picked up the fumble and pitched it back to 7 who then threw is forward. The fumble would negate any ability to forward pass,right?

I am pretty sure college has the rule that a fumble on 4th down can only be advanced by the player who fumbled.    but i have no idea how the rule would be applied there because they didnt advance the ball.... they lateralled..... it was the next guy who advanced the by throwing.

I believe the pass itself was legal.    

but IF the ball is dead the moment the player who didnt fumble recovered... then by definition the play would have been dead at that point, and as 4th down, the  change of possion completed,    and thus the targeting review was irrelivant because a 15 yard penalty would only have resulted in TCU going back 15 yards with the ball.

other than #2 being out the first half against GA

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Juicy said:

Two replays that they got flat out wrong.

Michigan played like shit and didn’t deserve to win. But they got 7 points taken off the board by a review that both announcers and the rules guy said it was a TDs.

And I have seen way less get called for targeting. Still a lot to do if they call it. But that is tough.

What a Jekyll and Hyde game for Michigan. Looked great at times and looked like absolute shit at others

The no TD was bullshit. The targeting was also probably the wrong call but I'm not sure JJ pulls out a TD there with 25 secs left.

Also felt like Michigan got some generous calls during the game. 

It's all noise anyway. They were the better team and they won. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Juicy said:

Two replays that they got flat out wrong.

Michigan played like shit and didn’t deserve to win. But they got 7 points taken off the board by a review that both announcers and the rules guy said it was a TDs.

And I have seen way less get called for targeting. Still a lot to do if they call it. But that is tough.

What a Jekyll and Hyde game for Michigan. Looked great at times and looked like absolute shit at others

Yep. Fucked on both reviews, one that was obviously inconclusive and shouldn't have been overturned, and one with obvious Targeting. Unreal. We'll be hearing about this one for a long time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Some of y'all are crazy. That is 100% targeting and game situation should absolutely not matter for that call. It is a safety situation and he could have paralyzed himself for a pointless hit when the guy was already going down.

Exactly. 100% targeting and calling it is no different than putting time back on the clock Texas vs Nebraska for Big 12 title.

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

The football gods nodded towards sensibility.

If you call the targeting and ignore the illegal forward pass, well...  it'd be so typical for what has happened to college football.

The pass wasn't illegal...it hadn't been thrown forward yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hate that it ended on a bad ref call it what an incredible season for TCU, Duggan, Dykes and Riley.

We took their AD so maybe it’s a curse?

Duggan went from having open heart surgery to being told by Dykes he’d only be the backup to stepping it up. Not his best performance today but happy for TCU.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is the dumbest opinion in sports. There's not a different set of rules at the end of a game.

You’re 100% correct that it was targeting and should have been called. I’m glad it wasn’t. 

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Hook 'Em 1

I am pretty sure college has the rule that a fumble on 4th down can only be advanced by the player who fumbled.    but i have no idea how the rule would be applied there because they didnt advance the ball.... they lateralled..... it was the next guy who advanced the by throwing.

I believe the pass itself was legal.    

but IF the ball is dead the moment the player who didnt fumble recovered... then by definition the play would have been dead at that point, and as 4th down, the  change of possion completed,    and thus the targeting review was irrelivant because a 15 yard penalty would only have resulted in TCU going back 15 yards with the ball.

other than #2 being out the first half against GA

I know that there used to be a rule that it could only be advanced by the player that fumbled on 4th.

Anyone got a vid of the play? Or pics of the gf?

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

That doesn't fucking matter when you lead with the crown of the helmet. There are two types of targeting. Only one requires contact to the head of neck area. 

And hit to the head/neck also requires a hit on a defenseless player, which he wasn't

Edited by WBT

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Um. No. If you throw an incomplete pass then they have a timeout to use on their final drive. 

It literally doesn't matter. 

It does matter lol, dont let your ego get in the way. Think about it.

Scenario A: The other team calls all their timeouts and its 3rd and 4 with 1:25 left. You are the coach, you are almost certainly gonna run it and not risk an incompletion because your chances of winning go way up if you bleed the clock. The defense is far more prepared to stop a 3rd and 4 when they are certain it will be a run. 

Scenario B: On the other hand, the other team has one timeout left and there is 45 seconds remaining, it is 3rd and 4. You are far more likely to throw it because the clock is already pretty low and the risk of the clock stopping is gone because they will stop it no matter what. The clock is not your focus, you are now entirely focused on a first down to end the game. The defense now has to defend the pass and the run. Yes the other team has an extra timeout if they throw and fail. But this isnt the NFL, the clock stops on first downs. 

I would much rather be the team in scenario A needing a 3rd and 4 stop.