the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

4 minutes ago, bernorange said:

C-SPAN covered an impromptu press conference on the steps of the Capitol.  Gaetz et al seem to really believe that they can win support for Jordan.  Delusional.

Yeah, they offered themselves as martyrs if Jordan gets the speaker but they know no-one would take it so it was a hollow offer.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

It would be helpful if CNN would have on senior Dem House leadership to reiterate that it’s not their job to bail out the GOP or elect a speaker for a body where they don’t have the majority. And that the GOP didn’t vote for Pelosi in 2019 or 2021. 

"I'm sorry, you're asking me why democrats aren't voting for republicans?" 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

What age? Like 65+? I would bet young millennials and Gen Z have no fucking clue about that song 

Fuck I'm not that old, I'm young Gen X. But I certainly would not think it's in many Gen Z playlists, hence why I said of a certain age.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bernorange said:

C-SPAN covered an impromptu press conference on the steps of the Capitol.  Gaetz et al seem to really believe that they can win support for Jordan.  Delusional.

I dunno. Betting on "moderate" Republicans to lose their spines has been a winner more often than not in the last few years.

• Hook 'Em 1

Seriously, the CNN reporters are killing it right now.

Eight GOP members that ousted McCarthy are offering to "accept some consequence" in exchange for colleagues to support Jordan

From CNN's Melanie Zanona and Haley Talbot

Rep. Matt Gaetz speaks to reporters on Capitol Hill on October 11. Kevin Lamarque/Reuters

GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz said the eight Republicans that voted to oust former Speaker Kevin McCarthy sent a letter to their colleagues encouraging them to vote for Jim Jordan for speaker and that they are willing to “accept some consequence” in order to get them to do so. 

“If what these holdouts need is a pound of our flesh, we're willing to give it to them in order to see the election of Jordan for Speaker,” Gaetz said standing alongside GOP Reps. Crane, Good and Tim Burchett just after the failed vote. 

“If what people need is to see the eight of us rapped on the knuckles in order to get onto the business of governing, what we're saying is we're open minded,” Gaetz added. 

In terms of specific consequences, Gaetz said they “are willing to accept censure, sanction, suspension, removal from the Republican conference, we of course will remain Republicans, we will continue to vote with Republicans on Republican principles.”  

Many holdouts have expressed that their hesitation lies with the strong arm tactics used. Gaetz insisted that was the work of outside groups and not Jordan.

“We know Jim Jordan, I've worked with Jim Jordan on the House Judiciary Committee. He's not a person who leads to strong arm tactics. I think Jim Jordan has been unfairly blamed by some for the tactics of outside groups that Jim Jordan has no control over,” Gaetz said. 

The eight that voted to remove McCarthy said they don’t support removing Patrick McHenry as Pro Tem. “Speaker McHenry Pro Tem deserves credit for resisting calls to expand the pro tem role beyond how it is contemplated in the Constitution. Patrick McHenry has earned our respect for having abided by the limitations on the power of the pro tem position and for that you should be commended.”  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

“We know Jim Jordan, I've worked with Jim Jordan on the House Judiciary Committee. He's not a person who leads to strong arm tactics. I think Jim Jordan has been unfairly blamed by some for the tactics of outside groups that Jim Jordan has no control over,” Gaetz said. 

No control over those outside groups? Mother fucker, you and your ilk are why the rest of us have to deal with those shit bags in the first place!

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Lockstep with his own comments on the matter. He just said this:

"You guys said we're gonna lose 15 to 30," he told CNN. "We only lost a couple, we had a couple of absents who would have been for us." 

Just ran out of time.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

No control over those outside groups? Mother fucker, you and your ilk are why the rest of us have to deal with those shit bags in the first place!

This is a fast moving thread today, so I'll post this again.  Jordan is cauliflower-ears deep in the campaign to terrorize the No votes.

Group aligned with Freedom Caucus is behind pro-Jordan pressure campaign

From CNN's Melanie Zanona

The Conservative Partnership Institute — a group headed up by former Freedom Caucus Chair Mark Meadows, who is Jim Jordan’s close ally — has been an active player in the intense, outside pressure campaign aimed at boosting Jordan’s speakership candidacy, sources tell CNN. 

CPI has been coordinating calls and helping strategize with right-wing activists about ways to apply pressure on holdouts and whip up support for Jordan, sources say.

Jordan has denounced the threats and harassment some of his detractors are facing, and has denied any involvement in the right-wing intimidation tactics. But CPI is very closely tied to the Freedom Caucus, which even holds their weekly meetings at CPI’s headquarters. 

There’s growing anger among the holdouts over the bullying they are facing from some of Jordan’s allies on the right, and they say they are disappointed with Jordan’s response — which is only hardening their opposition. 

Rep. Don Bacon tells CNN: “Jordan and his team are in denial over the threats and harassment his supporters are doing. Jordan’s response has been tepid.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Seriously, the CNN reporters are killing it right now.
Eight GOP members that ousted McCarthy are offering to "accept some consequence" in exchange for colleagues to support Jordan
From CNN's Melanie Zanona and Haley Talbot
Rep. Matt Gaetz speaks to reporters on Capitol Hill on October 11. Kevin Lamarque/Reuters
GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz said the eight Republicans that voted to oust former Speaker Kevin McCarthy sent a letter to their colleagues encouraging them to vote for Jim Jordan for speaker and that they are willing to “accept some consequence” in order to get them to do so. 
“If what these holdouts need is a pound of our flesh, we're willing to give it to them in order to see the election of Jordan for Speaker,” Gaetz said standing alongside GOP Reps. Crane, Good and Tim Burchett just after the failed vote. 
“If what people need is to see the eight of us rapped on the knuckles in order to get onto the business of governing, what we're saying is we're open minded,” Gaetz added. 
In terms of specific consequences, Gaetz said they “are willing to accept censure, sanction, suspension, removal from the Republican conference, we of course will remain Republicans, we will continue to vote with Republicans on Republican principles.”  
Many holdouts have expressed that their hesitation lies with the strong arm tactics used. Gaetz insisted that was the work of outside groups and not Jordan.
The eight that voted to remove McCarthy said they don’t support removing Patrick McHenry as Pro Tem. “Speaker McHenry Pro Tem deserves credit for resisting calls to expand the pro tem role beyond how it is contemplated in the Constitution. Patrick McHenry has earned our respect for having abided by the limitations on the power of the pro tem position and for that you should be commended.”  

In other words, there really isn’t any Republican consequence that actually matters.
  • Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It would be helpful if CNN would have on senior Dem House leadership to reiterate that it’s not their job to bail out the GOP or elect a speaker for a body where they don’t have the majority. And that the GOP didn’t vote for Pelosi in 2019 or 2021.

But no, let’s put on a bunch of GOP members to blame the Dems 

My CNN take in May seems to be holding up:

CNN under Jeff Zucker arguably did more to normalize Trump to moderate Americans than anyone else. Now under Chris Licht they're even worse, as they're pretty clearly going for Fox News during the Bush era levels of conservatism as their whole vibe and they're trying to help Trump get re-elected.

Fuck CNN.

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Lockstep with his own comments on the matter. He just said this:

"You guys said we're gonna lose 15 to 30," he told CNN. "We only lost a couple, we had a couple of absents who would have been for us." 

Here is your Texas A&M gift cake for notching a quality loss by exceeding expectations of how bad you would lose.

spacer.png

17 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Jim Jordan lost again?  As if we need a reminder that God hates Marjorie Taylor Greene.

image.thumb.jpeg.81ecc7ed8dacc76e3a78ebe72259a097.jpeg

How Marge prays.

spacer.png

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, TexasHooch said:

He keeps arguing that it's the Dem's fault because they represented 96% of the "No" votes.  I wish she would have asked him what would have happened if they had represented 100% of the "No" votes.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I wish she'd ask him "Why should a Dem vote for a GOP speaker? Did you vote for Pelosi in 2019 and 2021?"

58 minutes ago, texasdago said:

At least McCarthy finally said it out loud that Gaetz and his team are responsible but I fully expect him to go on Fox News and blame the Democrats once again.

55 minutes ago, Js1 said:

But no, let’s put on a bunch of GOP members to blame the Dems 

54 minutes ago, Red Five said:

"I'm sorry, you're asking me why democrats aren't voting for republicans?" 

I posted this before but I will post it again.  When you run into a MAGA voter who has bought into this line that it is the Dems fault, please open to this link showing every Speaker of House election dating back to 1789 by party and ask them to point out where the minority party provided the decisive votes to elect a Speaker from the opposition party.   Then tell them to get fucked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Speaker_of_the_United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

This is the result of zero sum politics. GOP won’t abide ANY compromise with Dems so there’s been zero effort to offer them anything of substance in exchange for being able to function. And since they can’t get their own conference in line - they’d rather just embarrass themselves over and over and over

I mean... yeah, this is basically it.

They can't even get their own party in line, once they let the inmates run the asylum. Someone said earlier that we saw some of this dysfunction with the Squad and the Democrats, where they couldn't leverage having a majority into very much. This is like that, but much worse.

They've flat out said, in public, on the record and unprompted that they see any compromise with the Democrats -- a basic function of democratic government -- as the worst-case scenario, a sign of collusion with The Enemy. As if the Democrats were the Enemy. And that just proves how far down the treason/sedition road they've gone. They're past the point of no return.

This ends with either the end of democracy or the end of the GOP. There's no middle road left, because the GOP refuses to choose it. 骑虎难下, which is Chinese for "fuck around and find out."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, TexasHooch said:

CNN is doing a goo job with the live updates.  Here's the latest:

image.png.7f6f7e3e3da6ffef70ee07c5975ff6a4.png

Wait....so the Democrats DIDN'T do this?  Gosh...why is it so hard for the GQP to even keep their story straight?

Oh yeah, because they're fucking psychopaths completely unmoored from objective reality.  Man.  I keep forgetting that.

• Haha 1