45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

20 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

If he appeals, he has to put the cash in escrow, or post a bond. 

So yeah, unless he prevails on appeal, she will collect. 

I’m not familiar with NY law but most states do not require a bond or deposit  to appeal. That just prevents post judgment collection efforts on appeal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

What about NYS running his businesses once his licenses are forfeited. I would imagine the monitor / trustee would have an obligation to pay the judgment.

If the judgment is against him personally then a receiver wouldn’t have authority to use company assets to pay the judgment (unless I guess if Trump were the sole owner of that company). 

38 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I’m not familiar with NY law but most states do not require a bond or deposit  to appeal. That just prevents post judgment collection efforts on appeal. 

He's already posted a $5M bond for the appeal in this case.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

If he appeals, he has to put the cash in escrow, or post a bond. 

So yeah, unless he prevails on appeal, she will collect. 

Let's be clear, the bond is not required to appeal, but it stays execution of the judgment during appeal. If no bond, Carroll can attempt to execute the judgment. 

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Let's be clear, the bond is not required to appeal, but it stays execution of the judgment during appeal. If no bond, Carroll can attempt to execute the judgment. 

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not this case, the other one. They're independent judgments. 

Thank you, Counselor.  

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not this case, the other one. They're independent judgments. 

Just when I think I have it figured out.  I thought they were independent awards with one liability judgment, which sounds messed up to begin with.  But I've never underestimated how screwed up procedurally a civil case can get the longer it goes on.  Live and learn.

Edited by dcbc

27 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah and since none of his “wealth” is actually his I doubt it matters if he posts the bond. There will be so many gymnastics to avoid collection it really won’t matter in the long run. If he can post with Saudi money or whatnot it just save some attorneys fees that he’ll never pay from racking up.

This could be great. I imagine the bankruptcy trustee does have an obligation to Rudy’s  creditors to pursue any potentially collectible assets of the bankruptcy estate, which in this case would include legal fees owed Rudy.    

It would be a lovely thing if the trustee hires attorneys to sue Trump for Rudy’s attorneys fees - so that Ruby and Shaye get something. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Yeah and since none of his “wealth” is actually his I doubt it matters if he posts the bond. There will be so many gymnastics to avoid collection it really won’t matter in the long run. If he can post with Saudi money or whatnot it just save some attorneys fees that he’ll never pay from racking up.

Yeah, I'd guess most of it is tied up in entities, like LLCs.  Supposedly, he has a real quagmire of them, partly or mostly to avoid this.**

But, as someone pointed out earlier, potential liquidation of his New York entities may put a bunch of cash in his personal name and ripe for collection by those whom he owes in his personal capacity.

** Probably worth noting that anyone that creates a legal entity contemplates separating their personal and business affairs, including liabilities.  Usually, that's intended to keep entity liabilities "off the personal books," but in Trump's case, it will have the opposite effect of making him personally potentially judgment proof.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

If you think Trump has respected his corporate structures and government and not co-mingled funds I don't know what to tell you. I would bet good money piercing the corporate veil would be about as easy as trump eating a big Mac.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Goredho said:

tl;dr Trump thought she was a Habba Dabba Do, but she's a Habba Dabba Don't.

More nuanced. She’s a Habba Dabba Do blow jobs - but she's a Habba Dabba Don't let her cross examine a witness or try to get exhibits into evidence. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

😂😂😂😂😂 per the R’s, state rights !!!!!

From the article:

Erickson’s recommendation was that the courts should decide whether the 14th Amendment bars Trump’s candidacy. But he also delivered a scathing assessment of Trump’s involvement in the insurrection, writing the former president “fanned the flames” that led to the breach of the Capitol and attempts to fraudulently undo the 2020 presidential election.

“[Trump] does not dispute that he knew violence was occurring at the capitol.. He understood that people were there to support him,” Erickson wrote. “Which makes one single piece of evidence, in this context, absolutely damning to his denial of his participation: the tweet regarding [Vice President] Mike Pence’s lack of courage while [Trump] knew the attacks were going on is inexplicable,” Erickson continued.

“[Trump] knew the attacks were occurring because the attackers believed the election was stolen, and this tweet could not possibly have had any other intended purpose besides to fan the flames,” Erickson wrote.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Gosh, those dots are so hard to connect, too.  Finally, someone did it.

Oddly, he still soft pedals it by saying "inexplicable."  Inexplicable other than his desire that the violence continue.

And, people have been connecting those dots for quite a while now.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.threads.net/@gtconway3/post/C2pysnOpnvp/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

This excellent piece by my old friend Ben Weiser notes that it could take years to collect the $88.3 million in judgments against Trump. That is true, except in the following sense:  Carroll could sell the right to collect the judgments to someone else, who would acquire the rights to the proceeds and assume the obligation of managing both the appellate proceedings and the efforts to attach Trump’s property. ...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

😂😂😂😂😂 per the R’s, state rights !!!!!

At last, the obvious counts for something!

Whoever started this campaign found a brilliant move.

Trump is arguably still mounting an insurrection through his authoritarian/totalitarian utterances about misuse of the justice department and military should he gain power. The next obvious thing would be for people to describe Trump as he describes himself: an authoritarian dictator.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Every Trump social post that ppl don’t bother to check is not real 

it’s infuriating that people don’t take 10 seconds to check

No fucking way I'm signing up for a Truth Social (or whatever the fuck it's called) account.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Every Trump social post that ppl don’t bother to check is not real 

it’s infuriating that people don’t take 10 seconds to check

Infuriating? Get over yourself.

When I posted the tweet, it had only just begun to circulate, and hadn't yet been debunked in any posts or replies that I could find at the time. As I don't have an account on Truth to verify the source, I went with it.  

Infuriating... What the fuck ever.

1 hour ago, TexasHooch said:

Infuriating? Get over yourself.

When I posted the tweet, it had only just begun to circulate, and hadn't yet been debunked in any posts or replies that I could find at the time. As I don't have an account on Truth to verify the source, I went with it.  

Infuriating... What the fuck ever.

I Hate You Ugh GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

10 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

what the fuck??!?

I'm not trying to speak on his behalf, however, I think I may get his general idea.  You'd have to believe that from Trump's perspective, he was well aware he was likely lose the case (I'm not sure I agree, but ok).  By making it a grandstanding thing, look at me I'm being persecuted/witch hunt/whatever, he's able to circle the wagons (I'm not sure this was necessary, in my mind, the people that supported him prior are still the same people and vice versa).   If his thought was to gain sympathy from independent voters, I'd argue that this didn't work at all.  However, if his plan all along was to attempt to gain sympathy from independent voters by making it a show of grandstanding I suppose he got the attention (didn't work in my opinion, but he certainly did get attention).  

At certain point, we have to all concede that we are attempting to understand the thoughts a diseased mind.  In the past, my opinion only, it was easier to perhaps attempt to guess the narcissistic logic; however now we have to mix that (which is fundamental to who he is and everything he does) along with rapid onset dementia and all that comes with it.  To people with ordinary functioning brains, just him at a narcissistic level was difficult to comprehend.  Now it's like we've graduated to boss level crazy.  

The funny thing is, no where else on earth will you ever hear someone lose an $80 million plus judgment and in their own mind be of the opinion that somehow they won by doing so.  The narcissistic side of who he is manifest in this thought process.  The dementia side to me is manifest in his baffling belief that somehow this was going to gain him some level of sympathy beyond the usual maga circle.  Basically, he spiked the football on E. Jean Carroll's behalf multiple times for seemingly no apparent reason, and in turn racked up higher damages.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I'm not trying to speak on his behalf, however, I think I may get his general idea.  You'd have to believe that from Trump's perspective, he was well aware he was likely lose the case (I'm not sure I agree, but ok).  By making it a grandstanding thing, look at me I'm being persecuted/witch hunt/whatever, he's able to circle the wagons (I'm not sure this was necessary, in my mind, the people that supported him prior are still the same people and vice versa).   If his thought was to gain sympathy from independent voters, I'd argue that this didn't work at all.  However, if his plan all along was to attempt to gain sympathy from independent voters by making it a show of grandstanding I suppose he got the attention (didn't work in my opinion, but he certainly did get attention).  

At certain point, we have to all concede that we are attempting to understand the thoughts a diseased mind.  In the past, my opinion only, it was easier to perhaps attempt to guess the narcissistic logic; however now we have to mix that (which is fundamental to who he is and everything he does) along with rapid onset dementia and all that comes with it.  To people with ordinary functioning brains, just him at a narcissistic level was difficult to comprehend.  Now it's like we've graduated to boss level crazy.  

The funny thing is, no where else on earth will you ever hear someone lose an $80 million plus judgment and in their own mind be of the opinion that somehow they won by doing so.  The narcissistic side of who he is manifest in this thought process.  The dementia side to me is manifest in his baffling belief that somehow this was going to gain him some level of sympathy beyond the usual maga circle.  Basically, he spiked the football on E. Jean Carroll's behalf multiple times for seemingly no apparent reason, and in turn racked up higher damages.  

He only listens to his echo chamber and those people tell him that it’s a brilliant strategy.