Woman shot and killed after car she was in pulled into the wrong driveway

elfenix

Some people like using guns and they look for reasons to use them.

Also, I don't know about New York, but in my experience an awful lot of Texans think that you can legally kill someone who is "trespassing" on your land.

Edited by Bookman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

This shit has had me worried for awhile now.  We have a roaming band of 10-12 kids that are all grades 1-4 that play together, mine included.  There’s a text chain where we communicate, they know not to run into yards of people they don’t know, and my 3rd grader has a watch we can keep in touch with.  At this age they’re not out after dark, but it’s coming.  

However NextDoor is full of stories on package thieves, homeless people and general concern/anger about anything that isn’t white bread perfect.  Last winter a gang of teens were walking down the street tipping over trash bins and generally being assholes…imagine how NextDoor was then.  So I’m sure a certain group are constantly huddled around the tv sitting on a pile of guns  

On the other hand it’s cedar park, predominantly Indian and Asian families…so I doubt most are packing heat, but my Cajun neighbor has pistols all over his house and the rest of their street was covered in One Family crap last election…and leading killer of young kids ya know. 

None of the group had exited the vehicle or attempted to enter Mr Monahan's house before he allegedly opened fire, Mr Murphy said.

"There's clearly no threat from anyone in the vehicle," Sheriff Murphy said. "There's no reason for Mr Monahan to feel threatened."

• Rage+1 1

If cancer hadn't taken him first 2 years ago there's no doubt whatsoever by my wife and I that her father would have eventually shot someone--a family member, delivery driver, neighbor--who made the mistake of driving onto the ranch property unannounced. He wanted to kill someone while "defending his property" before he died.

This douchebag murderer in NY looks like he fulfilled a similar fantasy.

I think everyone on this board has had some run-ins. I don't know if these run-ins are more likely to lead to violence these days, if it is just the increase in centralized populations that lead to increased violence, or if it is simply just reported more because of social media. My guess is that all three things are happening simultaneously.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think everyone on this board has had some run-ins. I don't know if these run-ins are more likely to lead to violence these days, if it is just the increase in centralized populations that lead to increased violence, or if it is simply just reported more because of social media. My guess is that all three things are happening simultaneously.

I think twice about flipping off Ram drivers that tailgate the fuck out of me when I'm going 85 down the 2-lane highway to work. Never know when one of those snowflakes is gonna get his feefees hurt and pull out a pistol.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I think twice about flipping off Ram drivers that tailgate the fuck out of me when I'm going 85 down the 2-lane highway to work. Never know when one of those snowflakes is gonna get his feefees hurt and pull out a pistol.

Shoot them first. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

Not that it justifies what happened in any way, but I'm curious just how rural this was, how long the driveway was, and how far they pulled up it. There are enough crazy folks out there that I'm not pulling up some random person in the sticks' driveway unless I know for sure where I am. Pulling in to turn around? Maybe, but on a county road I prefer to find a pasture with a gated entrance to pull in to turn around versus a residence. There be crazy people out there and I don't need any extra holes in my body or vehicle.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "had some run-ins". If you mean had a gun pulled on you, then I suspect the majority of this board has NOT had this happen. In the context if this thread (and the similar one on the kid who got shot going to the wrong door) I also don't think the majority of this board has had a confrontation after pulling into the wrong driveway / knocking on wrong door.

I agree that the large majority have had some level of general confrontation with someone but that is incredibly vague. The reason these cases are drawing increased attention is because these are situations that shouldn't have had any run-in / confrontation at all.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Can’t count the number of driveways I’ve turned into to turnaround.  Will think twice about that now

I haven't done this in years. Not that I'm worried about getting shot, but everyone is so eager to take things personally these days. Just looking for an excuse to be aggrieved. Between pulling into driveways (only during the day, mind you) and having the audacity to let my dog use your yard (bag in hand), people are fucking itching to come lecture you.

Bitch, if you want total privacy, don't move to a fucking cul-de-sac with a sidewalk 4 feet from your front door.

• Hook 'Em 5

Shooting someone for using your driveway is insanity.

Whatever happened to visibly scowling and letting the person who is using your driveway know you don't much appreciate it, but will allow it if they are quick and don't get on the grass and don't do it again?

What's next, shooting the construction workers who park their truck outside my house for the guy building a pool two doors down? 

Shooting, running over kids heads for a prank, etc. People have lost their minds and their humanity. The driveway guy had the convenience of a gun. It woukd be interesting to know how long he had been festering his hatred of people and if anyone in his inner circle may have thought it wasn’t a good idea for him to have access to convenient people killers.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "had some run-ins". If you mean had a gun pulled on you, then I suspect the majority of this board has NOT had this happen. In the context if this thread (and the similar one on the kid who got shot going to the wrong door) I also don't think the majority of this board has had a confrontation after pulling into the wrong driveway / knocking on wrong door.

I agree that the large majority have had some level of general confrontation with someone but that is incredibly vague. The reason these cases are drawing increased attention is because these are situations that shouldn't have had any run-in / confrontation at all.

I grew up in a wealthy area and we shot bottle rockets at each other, tp'd houses, etc. And yes, I remember a gun being pulled from an upstairs window when we weren't up to any mischief, my brother was involved a car chase after someone got upset by him and his friend peeing in their yard, guy pulled a gun at a party because he wanted everyone to leave so he could be with his girlfriend, worked out with Elvin Bethea's brother (although it has been so long it could have been Robert Brazile's brother) and some guys started to play with pistols at his apartment. I've had people come after me in road rage incidents - shit happened but guns weren't fired. No one was killed...

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

On the other hand it’s cedar park, predominantly Indian and Asian families…so I doubt most are packing heat, 

fresh off the boat?  they won't be.  born and raised here?  they're more likely than you think.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I grew up in a wealthy area and we shot bottle rockets at each other, tp'd houses, etc. And yes, I remember a gun being pulled from an upstairs window when we weren't up to any mischief, my brother was involved a car chase after someone got upset by him and his friend peeing in their yard, guy pulled a gun at a party because he wanted everyone to leave so he could be with his girlfriend, worked out with Elvin Bethea's brother (although it has been so long it could have been Robert Brazile's brother) and some guys started to play with pistols at his apartment. I've had people come after me in road rage incidents - shit happened but guns weren't fired. No one was killed...

392245D7-A66D-4C97-94CD-BB63E9C05538.png.72651eda5252c7492e60ef91ad278abf.png

Shooting someone for using your driveway is insanity.
Whatever happened to visibly scowling and letting the person who is using your driveway know you don't much appreciate it, but will allow it if they are quick and don't get on the grass and don't do it again?
What's next, shooting the construction workers who park their truck outside my house for the guy building a pool two doors down?
I don’t see the problem here /the poster formerly known as Dillo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

fresh off the boat?  they won't be.  born and raised here?  they're more likely than you think.

Although off-topic, I have my doubts that it is all second and third generation. Enough Chinese have been buying property in Canada that they have temporarily put a halt to it. In the US, Chinese companies have been buying farmland and laws are being proposed banning foreign ownership by certain countries. I've been told that a lot of the housing market increase in Coastal California has been caused by foreign nationals. It could all be xenophobia and Austin could be an exception but I think it warrants more than a wave of the hand. I've worked at a Bay Area company that was Chinese owned (first generation) who did a lot of VISA assistance to get Chinese nationals here for biotech work, so I know that it happens.

58 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Not that it justifies what happened in any way, but I'm curious just how rural this was, how long the driveway was, and how far they pulled up it. There are enough crazy folks out there that I'm not pulling up some random person in the sticks' driveway unless I know for sure where I am. Pulling in to turn around? Maybe, but on a county road I prefer to find a pasture with a gated entrance to pull in to turn around versus a residence. There be crazy people out there and I don't need any extra holes in my body or vehicle.

Well, when you put it that way, you make a compelling case that perhaps those people shouldn't have such ready access guns. You know, if it's not even safe to turn your car around. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Kaylin Gillis was with three other people in New York state on Saturday.

They accidentally drove into the driveway of Kevin Monahan in the town of Hebron, police say.

As the driver was leaving, Mr Monahan, 65, allegedly opened fire on the vehicle, hitting Ms Gillis.

"This is a very sad case of some young adults who were looking for a friend's house and ended up at this man's house who decided to come out with a firearm and discharge it," Washington Country Sheriff Jeffrey Murphy told a news conference. 

The area is rural, and the driveways are poorly lit at night. None of the group had exited the vehicle or attempted to enter Mr Monahan's house before he allegedly opened fire, Mr Murphy said.

"There's clearly no threat from anyone in the vehicle," Sheriff Murphy said. "There's no reason for Mr Monahan to feel threatened."

The friends drove away from the house and attempted to call for help in a nearby town, but Ms Gillis was pronounced dead by paramedics. 

Mr Monahan was "uncooperative with the investigation and refused to exit his residence to speak with police", the sheriff's office said in a news release.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65307556.amp

0FCAD7C6-CCE2-4DDE-B958-EDDA8856FD72.jpeg

Edited by Nicole44

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

This shit has had me worried for awhile now.  We have a roaming band of 10-12 kids that are all grades 1-4 that play together, mine included.  There’s a text chain where we communicate, they know not to run into yards of people they don’t know, and my 3rd grader has a watch we can keep in touch with.  At this age they’re not out after dark, but it’s coming.  

However NextDoor is full of stories on package thieves, homeless people and general concern/anger about anything that isn’t white bread perfect.  Last winter a gang of teens were walking down the street tipping over trash bins and generally being assholes…imagine how NextDoor was then.  So I’m sure a certain group are constantly huddled around the tv sitting on a pile of guns  

On the other hand it’s cedar park, predominantly Indian and Asian families…so I doubt most are packing heat, but my Cajun neighbor has pistols all over his house and the rest of their street was covered in One Family crap last election…and leading killer of young kids ya know. 

Nextdoor is a blight, its all people bitching about shit and stirring the pot of fear

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TornACL said:

Whole lot of gray hairs out there who have turned their homes to prisons of their own fears. 

8 hours ago, Chooky said:

Beyond everyone's political ideology, maybe it's getting a little too shooty out there.  

8 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

When did everyone become a pussy with a gun scared of everything?

All of these.

The guns are absolutely a problem.  But our collective psychology AROUND guns is also a big fucking problem.

As I've mentioned before, in the late 80s, I often had a gun in my car, on my high school campus.  And administration knew about it, one of them even helped us transfer (cased) shotguns between cars on a Friday afternoon before we headed off on a hunting trip.  It never occurred to us to use our guns in anger.  It just wasn't part of our collective mental toolkit.  Now, we have a whole cult that 1) has been programmed to be constantly terrified, and 2) is actually looking for a reason to use their gun "to protect myself and my castle!"

We've created a fucked up culture, and it really is a creature of the past 30 years or so.  AND, we've armed the shit out of that cult.  The poisonous tree we planted is now bearing a bumper crop of deadly fruit.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Watch, we'll find out that the driver and/or some of the other passengers were black/brown and that's why the owner started firing. 

Car’s registration was expired by a month. Straight to execution