Don't jump of a ship into the Caribbean

Dennis Taylor

Saw this on Reddit…it was a pirate ship themed booze cruise kinda thing, which is why it’s so slow underway.  A real cruise ship would have left him in the dust quickly.

You’d think that would buy time for someone to alert the crew, and the dumbass could hang on the donut until he could be ‘rescued’.  Naturally everyone is yelling expletives and filming.  

FAFO indeed.  

16 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

If you look closely to the far left at about the 16 second mark there's what looks like a shark, which would be at or near the top of the list of reasons why not to do that

I can't tell what was splashing on the surface. Could've been a small shark. When I first saw it I thought it was maybe the rope on the throw ring. 

Like I said when it was mentioned in another thread, a guy I work with has a son that was on that trip. It’s been pretty traumatic for this kids as one would expect. I did some pretty stupid shit when I was a teenager, but jumping off of a cruise ship at night wouldn’t have even registered as something to do for me. I feel badly for his family.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

Like I said when it was mentioned in another thread, a guy I work with has a son that was on that trip. It’s been pretty traumatic for this kids as one would expect. I did some pretty stupid shit when I was a teenager, but jumping off of a cruise ship at night wouldn’t have even registered as something to do for me. I feel badly for his family.

I searched the kid's name before posting but it didn't bring up any matches

27 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Saw this on Reddit…it was a pirate ship themed booze cruise kinda thing, which is why it’s so slow underway.  A real cruise ship would have left him in the dust quickly.

You’d think that would buy time for someone to alert the crew, and the dumbass could hang on the donut until he could be ‘rescued’.  Naturally everyone is yelling expletives and filming.  

FAFO indeed.  

I don't think that's a ship at all.  That's some kind of catamaran or excursion boat.   Not enough freeboard to be a cruise ship.

Yep, it's a redone supply boat.  https://www.blackbeardsrevenge.com/

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

If you look closely to the far left at about the 16 second mark there's what looks like a shark, which would be at or near the top of the list of reasons why not to do that

The shark can be seen at the 3 second mark in the clip. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

It's sad that we joke about this kid's death and that we'd sink to that level as a group.

I may be jumping to conclusions, but this can't be the first time this kid made a rash decision buoyed by the idea of 'clicks' or followers.

I didn't see any shark there and think it's just folks making waves and going a little overboard with their conjecture.

He was likely dead in the water the minute he jumped and gondola bottom after he tired himself out.

By and large, U-boat to find a lot of kids in the doldrums who couldn't fathom this happing to someone they knew.

Best we give them a wide berth to seek help from a grief counselor who know the ropes when it comes to traumatic events like this.

beautiful happy endings GIF

7 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

It's sad that we joke about this kid's death and that we'd sink to that level as a group.

I may be jumping to conclusions, but this can't be the first time this kid made a rash decision buoyed by the idea of 'clicks' or followers.

I didn't see any shark there and think it's just folks making waves and going a little overboard with their conjecture.

He was likely dead in the water the minute he jumped and gondola bottom after he tired himself out.

By and large, U-boat to find a lot of kids in the doldrums who couldn't fathom this happing to someone they knew.

Best we give them a wide berth to seek help from a grief counselor who know the ropes when it comes to traumatic events like this.

I sea what you did there

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Regular fucking Mark Twain right here.

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Was it really a dare? or Suicide?

3 hours ago, Chooky said:

Nightmare. Imagine watching the lights on that ship disappear as you get dragged by a current. And the sounds getting more faint until you're all alone, treading, in pitch black darkness. It looked really dark. Treading water in the dark sucks. Even small waves lap into your face because you can't anticipate anything. What a horrible death, no matter how the end arrived. 

As someone who has made some really dumb decisions and through nothing I did managed to live through them without deserving to, I can tell you his last thoughts as he blub blub blubbed were, "that was a really dumb thing I did."

oh look  - there is another one

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/30/us/florida-carnival-overboard-search/index.html

oast Guard crews are searching for a 35-year-old man who went overboard from a cruise ship in the Atlantic Ocean on Monday, officials said.

Ronnie Peale Jr., of Crimora, Virginia, went overboard, his partner and his mother told CNN. He fell from the Carnival Magic early Monday, according to the cruise line, and a search was taking place about 185 miles east of Jacksonville, Florida, US Coast Guard Southeast said Tuesday.

Peale and his partner, Jennilyn Blosser, went on the cruise to celebrate her birthday, and it was his first time on a cruise, Blosser said. She went to bed Sunday night, and when she woke up on Monday around 11:30 a.m., she was unable to find her partner, she told CNN.

8 hours ago, Chooky said:

Nightmare. Imagine watching the lights on that ship disappear as you get dragged by a current. And the sounds getting more faint until you're all alone, treading, in pitch black darkness. It looked really dark. Treading water in the dark sucks. Even small waves lap into your face because you can't anticipate anything. What a horrible death, no matter how the end arrived. 

image.gif.272c2588d05970eff69c79725ef2b372.gif

31 minutes ago, Bevo said:

How about a prop?

Just an FYI but being cut up by a prop is pretty rare. There isn't much of a vector on most ships to pull water from the surface. A dropped piece of bread off of a ship usually gets pushed out from the hull water displacement than down into the prop. It can happen though depending on the placement of the prop.

Exhaustion or hypothermia are the main causes of death.

• Hook 'Em 2

Jesus this causes serious anxiety. I’ve nearly died once in the ocean on a pacific beach in a Baja undercurrent and FML that was not fun - mostly not fun remembering it tbqh as in the moment biology took over. It was 100% a near death experience.  Once you really think you are a goner in that kind of sudden way your brain shuts down and goes into dying mode which is peaceful and it blocks a lot of outside stimuli including physical sensations from vision to physical feelings. Anxiety was no where to be found just “oh well, this is it.” I imagine drowning in the open ocean or being attacked by a shark (not saying it’s a shark I didn’t watch) would be the same the body and brain just shut it down early and say “well, that was dumb” in a matter of fact mode and “it was a nice ride.”

in fact I remember my last thoughts were “my ex is gonna kill me my life insurance lapsed” and “what are my employees going to do?” And then on both accounts, “well it’s too late for me to do anything about it, I guess this is it.” The second I was about to breathe in salt water my girlfriend at the time / now wife screamed swim !! I was woken out of what was basically a trance and body surfed to shore. It was a low wave cycle and I made it back but I had to dig into the shore for another round of crashing waves. I was able to stay on the beach as the surf tried to pull me in. Next low round of waves I crawled up the beach to safety.  Spent the rest of the day non stop shaking and alternating between uncontrollable sobbing and uncontrollable laughing. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

oh look  - there is another one

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/30/us/florida-carnival-overboard-search/index.html

oast Guard crews are searching for a 35-year-old man who went overboard from a cruise ship in the Atlantic Ocean on Monday, officials said.

Ronnie Peale Jr., of Crimora, Virginia, went overboard, his partner and his mother told CNN. He fell from the Carnival Magic early Monday, according to the cruise line, and a search was taking place about 185 miles east of Jacksonville, Florida, US Coast Guard Southeast said Tuesday.

Peale and his partner, Jennilyn Blosser, went on the cruise to celebrate her birthday, and it was his first time on a cruise, Blosser said. She went to bed Sunday night, and when she woke up on Monday around 11:30 a.m., she was unable to find her partner, she told CNN.

Falling 70 or 100 feet into the water, when drunk or unprepared seems like a recipe for getting knocked unconscious or at least having the wind knocked out of you, which would also seem to be a very bad start to being stranded in the open ocean.

• Hook 'Em 3