Speaking of being offended: cmt pulls Jason aldean video

closetohumping

47 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I guess for being offensive.  Heard the name not super familiar with his music.  

Too country? Didn’t use R word

guessing this will actually help sales

Never heard of him.

31 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Morgan Wallen. 

Who?

29 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Luke Bryan 

Who?

Wallen

Who?

FGL

Who?

Sorry, just being a surly asshole.

But, seriously though, I don't know who any of those people are.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Checked the song credits to confirm what I already knew… he didn’t write the song. Just performed it. What is it with modern country singers and not writing at least part of their own music? Can’t think of another genre where that’s so common. 

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I scrolled thru 4 stations yesterday and a Morgan Wallen song was on each. Two country stations, a pop station, and a catch all/mix station. Dude is killing it. 

This is America, their democraphic love people brave enough to say the n-word regularly. At least this new guy didn't say the word, what the problem is, right?

Edited by 'stache

Just now, fattyflattie said:

I scrolled thru 4 stations yesterday and a Morgan Wallen song was on each. Two country stations, a pop station, and a catch all/mix station. Dude is killing it. 

Radio is unlistenable right now because of that guy. He'll be on at least three stations everytime I flip through when I'm in the car. Fuck that guy.

Just now, royiv said:

Radio is unlistenable right now because of that guy. He'll be on at least three stations everytime I flip through when I'm in the car. Fuck that guy.

Agree.  This was the first time I’d heard him on 104.   Had heard him on 96 a few times recently.  Had flipped thru and caught him on 3 at once several times.   Don’t know if there’s a 5th that will pick the songs up, we’ll see.  If 97 or 105 does, fml. 

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Agree.  This was the first time I’d heard him on 104.   Had heard him on 96 a few times recently.  Had flipped thru and caught him on 3 at once several times.   Don’t know if there’s a 5th that will pick the songs up, we’ll see.  If 97 or 105 does, fml. 

If I hear him on the Beat or the Box, I'll know we're nearing the end times.

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I don’t like country music at all but I’ll listen to “Last Night” by Morgan wallen all day long. I get that it’s not “real” country and that it’s soft but it’s an objectively great song.

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

I don’t like country music at all but I’ll listen to “Last Night” by Morgan wallen all day long. I get that it’s not “real” country and that it’s soft but it’s an objectively great song.

Not an expert but I *heard* on one of the stations him and that small group of buddies of his write a shitload of the songs they do. Don’t know if true or not. 

This latest Bryan cover of Fast Car is pretty good. But I’m not sure I’ve heard a bad cover of it. 

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Not an expert but I *heard* on one of the stations him and that small group of buddies of his write a shitload of the songs they do. Don’t know if true or not. 

This latest Bryan cover of Fast Car is pretty good. But I’m not sure I’ve heard a bad cover of it. 

I know he didn’t write Last Night. But I still like it.

Message/political undertones aside, the song should be cancelled because it's objectively terrible, even by modern bro country standards.  I couldn't make it past the middle of the first verse.  

I tied to listen to it after I saw the headline and didn’t make it very far. The irritating, grating sound was definitely offensive. No clue about lynching.

35 minutes ago, 'stache said:

A video juxtaposing scenes from BLM and a courthouse lynching site with the lyrics “Try that in a small town”? The mental gymnastics to call others snowflakes for finding that offensive is why this country is set to fail in a decade or so. Sick, disgusting, pathetic. Don’t be so sensitive about lynching black people for protesting? “That’s not really what he’s sayin?” Fuck you. 

It's a terrible crap country song, but not worse than most of the stuff out there.  The song itself is a political anthem, but maybe you could let that pass.  But the video.  They'll play that video at every Klan rally for the next decade.  I'm sure Mr. Aldean is a good person and naive about what that video will be used for.  CMT is right to pull it.

31 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Checked the song credits to confirm what I already knew… he didn’t write the song. Just performed it. What is it with modern country singers and not writing at least part of their own music? Can’t think of another genre where that’s so common. 

Not defending Jason Aldean, but if you're gonna set the bar there, your gonna loop in a lot of old and current stars.  Including George Strait.

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

17 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

It's Luke Combs, not Luke Bryan, for fuck's sake.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Please tell me your whole surly persona is a bit, because I just googled that song and it is undeniable garbage.

Dying!  Maybe it is.   Gen xer who wears ten dollar chains, drakkar noir to pick up girls from the valley all while putting Morgan wallen on the jukebox

• Haha 4

It got me to listen the song, so I guess the PR worked. I don’t think I’ll be listening much more.

There’s a Michael Jackson Beat It quote in the guitar towards the end, which makes for some interesting imagery.

He’s from Macon though? So not exactly a small town guy. I live in a small town in Georgia and his vision of small town life doesn’t align with my experience in 2023, although the Sons of Confederate Veterans and their giant flags are ubiquitous.

3 minutes ago, Mole said:

He’s from Macon though? So not exactly a small town guy.

Yeah, that was my first takeaway when I heard about the scandal a couple of days ago.  The article mentioned he was from Macon, and I thought "wait. that's more like a small city?"  Looked it up, almost 160K.  At least he's consistent in his posing.