Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

20 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Last night's BLT. Threw some sauerkraut on it. Because fuck it51eae15af7a0d3c61514da17f839e817.jpg

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

I'm digging this but the kraut / lettuce thing is throwing me off a bit. You usually don't see both on the same sandwich. Texture might be weird. I think a Bacon-Kraut-Tomato w/ mustard would be pretty damn good though. The BKT.

I never cared for sauerkraut for most of my life until the 2012 Alamo Bowl.  It was the start of the fourth quarter, I has hammered as shit and starving, so I grabbed the closest food I could find, a hot dog.  They didn't have much in the way of condiments, but they had sauerkraut, and I was so hungry I piled it on.  It was one of the best hot dogs I've ever had, and I've been a fan of sauerkraut ever since.  And I also love Reubans now as well.

So put that on your BLT.  I ain't even mad.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

My first sauerkraut experience was at 2am on dirty 6th from a hot dog/sausage cart while watching some guy getting his head smacked off the window of the t shirt shop. He went out cold and I was so drunk I decided intervening would land me in a similar fate. I chose to eat and it was delicious.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm digging this but the kraut / lettuce thing is throwing me off a bit. You usually don't see both on the same sandwich. Texture might be weird. I think a Bacon-Kraut-Tomato w/ mustard would be pretty damn good though. The BKT.

I was really trying because the tomatoes weren't that juice. I guess they're just out of season, but the last few times I've been to Market Street or Sprouts. They've been very bland.

I think Sauerkraut is one of the many food that sucked as a kid because it had no flavor. But then I had some about 15 years ago at the Bavarian Grill in Plano and now I go through a jar about once a month. Still trying to find a brand I really like though

26 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

My local Costco stopped providing sauerkraut at the food court during Covid. I'm hoping, but not optimistic, that it comes back. I always piled a bunch of it on their hot dogs.

Season 4 What GIF by The Office
Your Costco offered kraut before Covid? The best I ever saw was some onions and relish. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Season 4 What GIF by The Office
Your Costco offered kraut before Covid? The best I ever saw was some onions and relish. 

north austin location used to have it out on the bar with the onions back when it opened (2002?).  every other one i've had to ask for it, was in little 1 oz cups behind the counter. 

think i posted about it, the onions, and brown mustard in the stuff that disappeared during covid thread. 

24 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Hmmm... I'm wondering if there isn't some kind of opportunity here to concoct a German-Korean fusion type of hot dog. I mean, isn't sauerkraut basically kimchi?

Edited by elfenix
one day i hope to chop carrots the way maangchi does
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah. You had to ask at the counter, it wasn't sitting out, but they had it either in the plastic condiment cups or in a tear-open pouch. It can't be totally uncommon, I've gotten it in 3 states.

I've definitely taken a Costco hot dog home and piled it with kimchi many times. It slams and goes hard, and then a few hours later I need the toilet. No ragerts.

16 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I can't tell what type of beer you have there. Please tell us it's not an IPA

After the basketball season I had, I needed a 9% or 3. Sorry I'm only 90% steel shank.  Yes I like IPA for the high alcohol content. Note to self, no more ipa's in my pictures.  My bad.

• Like 1

I mean, there's nothing wrong with IPA's I guess. I personally think they taste like shit. But I'm sure there are folks on this thead who like an IPA. 

It's just that when you really feel like Totinos is the way to go. And you FEEEL like throwing some japs on that fucker will hit the fucking spot. You also know that a cold Bud Light is the way to top that. And most of us don't have a cold Bud Light handy unless your name is Steelius Shankius Rex. In that case.. if all you have is a dirty IPA, that's cool. You should just keep it to yourself. :D 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I mean, there's nothing wrong with IPA's I guess. I personally think they taste like shit. But I'm sure there are folks on this thead who like an IPA. 

It's just that when you really feel like Totinos is the way to go. And you FEEEL like throwing some japs on that fucker will hit the fucking spot. You also know that a cold Bud Light is the way to top that. And most of us don't have a cold Bud Light handy unless your name is Steelius Shankius Rex. In that case.. if all you have is a dirty IPA, that's cool. You should just keep it to yourself. :D 

If you want a high content non-ipa I recommend Devil’s Backbone by real ale.   It tastes like Bud Lite with a shot poured in it.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The northern european concept of what constitutes mexican food or tex-mex is......profoundly disturbing.

I had a mennonite coworker for a brief period of time. He moved to Texas from Pennsylvania. We took him out for Texas BBQ and he was in awe. He said where he comes from BBQ is typically what lies under Kraft BBQ sauce.