What can I do with a bunch of ghost peppers?

Buzzrock

Neighbor grew them on a lark and left me a bag of about 20 of them yesterday. My hate tolerance is more in the jalapeno, maybe habanero range. I'm going to take one and rub it on the siding where I've had a squirrel chewing, but have no idea what to do with the rest of them.

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Neighbor grew them on a lark and left me a bag of about 20 of them yesterday. My hate tolerance is more in the jalapeno, maybe habanero range. I'm going to take one and rub it on the siding where I've had a squirrel chewing, but have no idea what to do with the rest of them.

Give them to someone who likes hot peppers. 

• Like 1

I hav a buddy in Memphis that in his old age grows all kinds of hot chilies. Ghost. Reapers, scorpions. He eats them. I used to eat really hot peppers but I had extensive sinus surgery in 02 and have t been able to go much beyond a jalapeño since. So he offers to send me some and I decline.

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Trying to cook with stuff like that is basically like starting a meth lab in your kitchen. 

There was an episode of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives where Guy Fieri was in some midwestern burger joint known for a hot pepper sauce that was a combination of the hottest shit like ghost peppers, Carolina reapers, habaneros, etc.  The guy who had been making that sauce for years roasts the peppers outside of the restaurant about 20 yards from the building.  He had developed a tolerance for it over time, but when Guy got to within about 10 feet of the grill he started coughing and tearing up like he had just been gassed by a SWAT team. 

Edited by South Austin
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I'm out beyond habanero.  That's as far as I can go and still discern some sort of flavor.  After that your body goes into survival mode reacting to a poison.

That’s never been my experience. I don’t know how people say they can’t taste something because it’s too hot. The hottest sauce I’ve ever had was blistering hot but tasted fantastic. I’d break out into a sweat and have to get a bunch of extra napkins because my nose wouldn’t stop running. And while it was exceedingly hot, the burn didn’t really seriously set in until I stopped eating. But it never lost its flavor. I just kept on eating. And man, it was good. It was a deeply religious experience.

Then after I was done I would just relax and experience the pain. That was the only food that ever caused enough pain to stimulate an endorphin rush. That got me high for about 20 minutes or so. And it was a sauce served at a rib joint during the annual Jazz & Rib Fest downtown so it was always on a sunny summer day and I enjoyed my buzz relaxing on the grass listening to live jazz in the park. Also, I developed a tolerance pretty fast and the same ribs on Sunday weren’t as much of a challenge as they were on Friday. They still got me off but it wasn’t as much of a shock to the system. 

You could make a fermented table sauce. You dilute the heat of the peppers with other ingredients, allowing to flavors of the peppers to still shine through, but not blow your asshole open. I made a hot sauce with like 10 habaneros, two large sweet Mediterranean peppers, a half a pineapple, some ginger and some garlic and it turned out fantastic. It's a great way to bring out the flavors of a pepper that's practically too hot. I did make a version with two ghost peppers and a bunch of red jalapenos but, to be honest, it came out a little too hot for me (and everyone else I've given some to). I still use it, but sparingly. Instead you could make a version with a handful of ghost peppers, some milder red peppers, oranges or pineapple, and whatever other shit you want to throw in there. Making table sauce is about the only thing I've been able to do with peppers that are spicier than serranos. 

• Hook 'Em 1

When cooked right with the right amount, key point, ghost pepper is one of the best culinary peppers for heat fans. It’s a great building heat and doesn’t need to be “knock you socks off.” All in moderation. But great smoky features that work well with a lot of recipes/proteins/etc.

Just try some Popeyes ghost wings. :)

I think I'd need to make about 10 gallons of sauce to use one ghost pepper.  Not my thing.  I love the flavor of habaneros or scotch bonnets, but that's my max on heat.  I do think they taste better than more common peppers like jalapeno and serrano peppers, but damn, they're hot.  More fruity than grassy, if that makes sense -- it's how I interpret it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/06/us/paqui-one-chip-challenge.html

A kid just died after eating a Reaper chip:

One of the last things Harris Wolobah, 14, of Worcester, Mass., ate before he died was a single tortilla chip in a coffin-shaped box that bore an image of a skull with a snake coiled around it, his mother said.

Lois Wolobah said her son’s school called last Friday to tell her he was sick and that she needed to come and get him.

When she arrived, Harris was clutching his stomach in the nurse’s office, she said in an interview on Tuesday.

He showed her a picture of what he had just consumed: a single Paqui chip, dusted with two of the hottest peppers in the world, the Carolina Reaper and the Naga Viper. The label on the box said “One Chip Challenge” and carried a warning — “Inside: One Extremely Hot Chip.” Paqui tortilla chips are made by Amplify Snack Brands, a subsidiary of the Hershey Company.

Ms. Wolobah said she took her son home, but after about two hours he passed out and was rushed to a hospital, where he died. He had faced no underlying health conditions, she said.

33 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Those Paqui chips have been around for some time now.  Be interesting if they actually link it as a cause of death.  

I had an employee take the "one chip challenge" with the Paqui chip a few years back. He did it as a stunt after lunch in front of the rest of the office and the bet was that he couldn't drink a glass of milk for 10 minutes. He made it, but he paid the price. He sweated through his clothes, had to lay down for more than an hour, and then apparently experienced something unholy in the bathroom that could be heard from the hallway.

We sent his ass home. He showed up the next day and said he hadn't eaten anything since, had been sprinting to the bathroom for the better part of the evening, and then it effected his sleep. This was a decently in-shape dude in his 20's. 

One other stupid bet story involving such things. I was working at a corporate shop when ghost peppers became the rage. The IT department had some sort of contest involving ghost pepper oil. They had a dropper and were putting certain amounts on chips to see who could handle it.

One of the older Indian ladies, who claimed to eat super hot curries all the time, decided to one-up the group. She took the dripper, loaded it up, and then squeezed it into her mouth and swallowed. It caused her to faint. They wheeled her out in a gurney and an ambulance took her to the hospital. She missed work for a week and allegedly filed some sort of grievance or complaint against the corporate entity that led to a settlement.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

The first time I ever cooked with habaneros, I made the mistake of mincing them without gloves.  I washed my hands thoroughly.  About 30 minutes later I took a piss.  Bad mistake.  For the next several hours I felt like I just got back from a Texas Tech sorority party. 

Yeah even habaneros you have to be careful working with. Me and a buddy were making a salsa one time and threw in maybe a pepper or two into the blender. He took the top off the blender after we ran it and got a blast to the face of the aerosoled pepper mix. It wasn't incapacitating or anything but safe to say it'll wake your ass up in the morning. 

Ghost peppers are a whole 'nother level. Which is why my initial advice was just to throw that shit away. It's not worth fucking your evening up or pissing your wife or kids off or whatever because you wanted to try and find a way to cook with it. Yes, you can cook with them. Yes, they have a nice flavor. But I'm going to let someone else do the dirty work and glove and goggle up. I'll try whatever the end result is - I have a high spice tolerance - for me the juice just isn't worth the squeeze when it comes to preparing ridiculously hot peppers. (I think most Ghost peppers are 6x or more hotter than habañeros).

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, South Austin said:

The first time I ever cooked with habaneros, I made the mistake of mincing them without gloves.  I washed my hands thoroughly.  About 30 minutes later I took a piss.  Bad mistake.  For the next several hours I felt like I just got back from a Texas Tech sorority party. 

I once cored like 50 jalapenos without gloves. I didn't know better and didn't realize that that was a big no-no. I also washed my hands so as to avoid burning my eyes later when I removed my contacts. About an hour after coring, I felt like my hands were on fire. That did not go away until the following morning.

When I started looking up stories on that kind of thing, I read some wild shit. Some woman in a catering business cored over 1000 jalapenos for an event without gloves. She had to be physically restrained at the hospital to keep from harming herself and they gave her morphine for some time period to get her through the experience. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Yeah even habaneros you have to be careful working with. Me and a buddy were making a salsa one time and threw in maybe a pepper or two into the blender. He took the top off the blender after we ran it and got a blast to the face of the aerosoled pepper mix. It wasn't incapacitating or anything but safe to say it'll wake your ass up in the morning. 

Ghost peppers are a whole 'nother level. Which is why my initial advice was just to throw that shit away. It's not worth fucking your evening up or pissing your wife or kids off or whatever because you wanted to try and find a way to cook with it. Yes, you can cook with them. Yes, they have a nice flavor. But I'm going to let someone else do the dirty work and glove and goggle up. I'll try whatever the end result is - I have a high spice tolerance - for me the juice just isn't worth the squeeze when it comes to preparing ridiculously hot peppers. (I think most Ghost peppers are 6x or more hotter than habañeros).

All the new hybrid peppers were created with the purpose of setting Scoville records.  Before then something like a habanero was probably about as hot as you could find in nature.  Now these new hybrid peppers make a habanero seem like child's play, and habaneros will fuck up the average joe.  The sadist that eat shit like reapers and ghost peppers would give the cenobites a run for their money. 

Yeah, the handwashing with normal hand soap doesn't work too well, because the oils typically aren't water soluble and the soap isn't all that effective.  I learned the hard way by blending a habanero in some homemade salsa and then rubbing my eye long after I had "washed" my hands.

I've heard dish soap is much better.  For me, if it's habanero, it's gloves.  I can deal with jalapenos and serranos.

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Same, except I removed my contacts that night.  It was not good

I am pretty sure that ghost peppers are actually used and grown in northern India. I still wouldn’t touch them in my own kitchen or house. If you’re inclined you might find someone near you who would do the work to turn them into a hot sauce. 

Reapers and others like that are just grown to set world records for measured heat. Actually eating them is dumb. It’s sort of like getting one of those Bonneville Salt Flat rocket cars and taking it to the store. 

5280 Burger Bar on Far West has a burger called the Ring of Fire, which is topped with sauteed serranos and habaneros along with their Ring of Fire sauce. I'm not sure exactly what's in the sauce, but I think it's a puree of the same peppers.  Whatever it is, it's at the outer end of my heat limit.  Tasty, but any more heat and the heat sensation overpowers the food.  If you order that burger you get your second beer half off.