Dick Butkus RIP

Gil Bang

19 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

That would be Super Bill daring to swat the ball from Butkus’ hand.

Thanks for catching that. After losing the starting QB job to James Street to run the wishbone, "Super Bill" Bradley converted to DB his senior year and instantly became a Badass DB. My dad said Bradley intercepted 4 passes in 1968 Aggy game. Was also awesome punter. One of the great all-around athletes in UT football history. Played starting DB with Eagles for many years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My high school band did the halftime show at the 1967 or 1968 Bears-Falcons game in the flying saucer of old Fulton County Stadium. We were seated on folding chairs on the field behind one of the end zones. I wish I could say Butkus ran over me or I saw him close up but that would be a lie, which is strictly forbidden on Surly, right?

I do vividly recall Gayle Sayers flying straight at us bringing it to the house on a simple sweep for about 60 yards.

Butkus was the Duke Wayne of football. Plus, he was not acting. RIP number 51.

8 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

One of the best. And if he played today he’d be kicked out of the league within the first few games for head hunting. A different game, for good or bad, but he is an icon and a goat.  

I call bullshit on that. HoF worthy?...you bet, but he is not the GOAT...That honor goes to Tommy Nobis'. DB could not carry Nobis' jock as a college LB...check every stat there is. Why on hell the top LB award is named after DB and not Nobis' is a crime.

Larry Czonka said he would have rather played against Butkis every week than against Nobis' once a season.

• Hook 'Em 1