Christmas gifts people got you that you liked

Celery Man

Ok but the intention of this thread - I think there's usually some sort of "gift ideas" thread where we're trying to think up stuff for wives and kids, but really surly demo is the hardest to gift shop for. Here are some random things that I think are appropriate here -

https://www.bugasalt.com/

^^ salt shotgun for killing bugs, probably lots of people have this

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Calvin-Hobbes-Box-Set/dp/0740748475/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

the Calvin and Hobbes box set

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelco-OneBlade-QP2520-90/dp/B01D328BG6?th=1

oneblade electric trimmer

I don't know what else. Kitchen/grill stuff? Cook books? Some travel thing? etc?

also i bought her tickets to camila cabello and gift certs to the movies because its one of her favorite activities.  the concert was cancelled because camila got sick, and the movie GC expired because we never had time to go.  so we're pretty bad at this gifting thing.

At some point we stopped the charade and the holidays/birthdays just got so much easier and better. Gifts are for kids, whatever you want and need as an adult, buy it at the appropriate time of the year is my wife and our philosophy with each other.

Edited by BeardIP
  • Hook 'Em 7

8 hours ago, 52-80 said:

i think it was about 6 years ago my fiancee gifted an IOU saying we will take a trip to iceland.  now we're married and still havent gone. 

jokes on her though, ive already been there.

If she gets you this for Christmas it may be that she's not happy with how things are going lately.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Ok but the intention of this thread - I think there's usually some sort of "gift ideas" thread where we're trying to think up stuff for wives and kids, but really surly demo is the hardest to gift shop for. Here are some random things that I think are appropriate here -

https://www.bugasalt.com/

^^ salt shotgun for killing bugs, probably lots of people have this

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Calvin-Hobbes-Box-Set/dp/0740748475/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

the Calvin and Hobbes box set

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelco-OneBlade-QP2520-90/dp/B01D328BG6?th=1

oneblade electric trimmer

I don't know what else. Kitchen/grill stuff? Cook books? Some travel thing? etc?

One Christmas a few years ago I received that Calvin & Hobbes boxed set AND a red Swingline stapler. And then Mom made Prime Rib for dinner.

What a great Christmas.

16 hours ago, tigol said:

This is a great gift for a home cook or a hunter/knife person.

Work Sharp Ken Onion Knife Sharpener Tool - Adjustable Knife Sharpening System - For Knives, Scissors, Serrated Blades, & Tools https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EJ9CQKA?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_JVJKD1C5DM1H0M342ATP&language=en-US

I've seen this on Amazon.  Does it work well?  Can a wife actually operate it?

7 hours ago, BeardIP said:

At some point we stopped the charade and the holidays/birthdays just got so much easier and better. Gifts are for kids, whatever you want and need as an adult, buy it at the appropriate time of the year is my wife and our philosophy with each other.

The quicker you get to this point the better.  And any adult gift exchange with in-laws just either needs to be alcohol or cash.  White elephant can also be acceptable, but fuck waiting around for Christmas to get the shoes or wallet that you would have just bought yourself 3 weeks ago.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah....I don't ask for or want shit anymore.  If I want it, I either already have it or want to shop for it myself (I want to pick out my new rifle scope.  Although I DID pick out some good binoculars a coupla years ago, and told my wife exactly what they were so they were waiting under the tree).

But...I cannot recommend the bugasalt salt shotgun highly enough.  We got it for my son years ago.  It stays upstairs with us, as 1) my wife hates flies with a passion and 2) has gotten to be a damned good shot with it.  Super fun gift for any male in your life, and any female who likes to kill bugs too.

Gifts of a trip or tickets are iffy -- my Xmas present to my wife Christmas of 2019 was “A trip to NYC this spring to see Hamilton.”  COVID hit just a few months later.  We did finally manage to go, and saw both the Killers at MSG and Hamilton, this past fall.  But I don’t really think she gave me credit for coming through on a Xmas present from 3 years before.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Christmas is for kids.  I don’t give or receive gifts from other adults.  In my family everyone has a charity of choice and we all donate to each other’s charities whatever you would have spent on a gift.  Before we came up with that system a few years ago I told them all that if they buy me anything they are going to have to take ownership of some random item from my house to make room for whatever item they gave me that I would never bought for myself.   Give me another bbq thermometer and I’m giving you my old used spatula.  Give me a coffee table book and I’m sending your ass home with that lamp I regret buying a few years ago.

From my own kids I only ask for experiences, even something simple and cheap like movie tickets for us to see something together or a gift card to a nice restaurant for us to all use together.   

• Hook 'Em 2

The knife sharpener and Thermoworks Smoke or Thermopen are appreciated if the recipient doesn't already have them.  I got myself a Bug-a-salt a month ago, and my son and future son-in-law will each receive one for Christmas this year.

With the knife sharpener, be very careful.  It can remove a lot of steel very quickly.  Practice on an old or cheap knife first.  Once you get the hang of it, use it to sharpen your blades once a year and just hone them the rest of the time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have the Bug-A-Salt, Thermapen and Phillips One Blade that have been mentioned on here. All are great gifts if the person doesn't already have one. 

The Bug-A-Salt is great for bugs that have landed. The laser pointer attachment makes it very easy to aim. We also have an electric tennis racket looking thing for knocking them out of the air. The battery is iffy, but it works well. 

I got the Thermapen based off recs here and it is seriously badass. Almost instantaneous read of meat temperature. It's a massive upgrade from what I was using previously. 

So far, the One Blade Body with the guard works well for safely grooming downstairs. I haven't tried it for anything else, but it seems like it would work well for short stubble on the face, or they sell one with an adjustable guard for beard trimming. 

If I was picking one off that list, and it was in the budget, I'd go Thermapen. If you check out the thread on meat thermometers, you find one of the rare moments of complete consensus on this board. Everyone with a Thermapen recommended it highly. 

Edited by Pods

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Christmas is for kids.  I don’t give or receive gifts from other adults.  In my family everyone has a charity of choice and we all donate to each other’s charities whatever you would have spent on a gift.  Before we came up with that system a few years ago I told them all that if they buy me anything they are going to have to take ownership of some random item from my house to make room for whatever item they gave me that I would never bought for myself.   Give me another bbq thermometer and I’m giving you my old used spatula.  Give me a coffee table book and I’m sending your ass home with that lamp I regret buying a few years ago.

From my own kids I only ask for experiences, even something simple and cheap like movie tickets for us to see something together or a gift card to a nice restaurant for us to all use together.   

My wife and I (mostly I) tried to push the charitable gifts between adults thing about a decade ago. It didn’t catch on, so we started making donations to our kids’ (age 24-30) charity of choice in addition to gifts. It still hasn’t replaced regular gifts. We’re about ready to ditch the whole concept and donate the whole amount to the charity of our choice. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor