Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire

BurntOrange&White

Obviously Bama is, and always has been, a blue blood.  But it was the bluest of bloods the last decade and a half for one reason and that reason just walked out the door.  Will be interesting to see if top coaching candidates still view Bama as one of the top 3 or 4 college jobs in the country or if they view “Bama after Saban” as a lateral move or less.  Not really sure how this is going to go

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I don't know who you can hire that isn't money whipping someone to take the job. Following Saban is one of the most impossible tasks you can be given. It has to be someone that's either coached there before and will be instantly excitable to the fanbase or the next big thing who's willing to take the job. I think Dan Lanning fits that completely. 

As far as what's next for Saban...Corse replacement on Gameday?

Agree on both.  

1.  No one will want to take the job because the Bama fan base is deranged and they'll want to fire him because of not winning literally every single game.  Maybe Lanning but that's all I can think of.  Also, can Bama come up with the money for some of these buyouts plus the new salary plus the NIL money?  They're not a wealthy school/fan base.

2.  Saban has always had a TV deal waiting and he'd be great at that.  He's 72 but looks 52.

• Like 1

The obvious candidate. He's already on campus and knows the program. No doubt Nick has been grooming him to take over. 

resize.jpeg.a20023468483ba8a933f89b4c419e7e7.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The obvious choice is already in the building.
7b25e9bebc2dc6f7d1738fc01963a7e3.jpg

Beat me by 2 minutes. 

14 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I think that a lot of sites not giving Sark odds for potential replacement suggests that our program is getting up there with Georgia (and Kirby Smart who no one is mentioning either even though he’s from the Saban coaching tree too). Sark has worked too hard to get us (and himself) where we are to bail now.

I agree with that. Don’t see an upside for him to leave Texas for Alabama.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I don't know who you can hire that isn't money whipping someone to take the job. Following Saban is one of the most impossible tasks you can be given. It has to be someone that's either coached there before and will be instantly excitable to the fanbase or the next big thing who's willing to take the job. I think Dan Lanning fits the latter completely. Sark isn't leaving Texas. He's building something special here. You don't walk away from that to follow a legend. You make your own legend here. 

As far as what's next for Saban...Corse replacement on Gameday?

Give me odds on Urban. Dude is "only" 59. He got fired for being an ass-fingering loser at his NFL gig, but has won at all 4 cfb stops. If he  could pull  it off  at Bama, he'd remove the losing stench from his  last  gig. Plus he's gotta be sick of listening to his cunt wife nag all day long. That broadcasting gig only provides cover during the fall. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Upon reflection, I really want it to be Lane Kiffin. I would be entertained.

I'm torn on who I want

• I hate Oregon, so Lanning is intriguing
  • Watching the meltdown here if Sark left would be epic.  Even moreso if he took Arch with him.
  • Fuck You 23
  • Prepare your anus 1

The ripple effect might be wild. Bama's portal opened up for 30 more days. The HC they poach, their team's portal will open for 30 days and on down the line we go. Not sure how many players are going to start bailing, especially those who came to Bama to play for the legend in Saban. I'd imagine some won't really care either way, as long as they are getting paid and starting. 

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

Who knew that a state economy based on cousin fuckin and mobile homes wouldn’t finance #1 recruiting classes in perpetuity 

Some lips gonna get busted tonight. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

• Pancho locked this topic
19 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Give me odds on Urban. Dude is "only" 59. He got fired for being an ass-fingering loser at his NFL gig, but has won at all 4 cfb stops. If he  could pull  it off  at Bama, he'd remove the losing stench from his  last  gig. Plus he's gotta be sick of listening to his cunt wife nag all day long. That broadcasting gig only provides cover during the fall. 

You mean spinnershells or whatever tf?

Regarding Sark:  while he's clearly a hyper-competitive guy, there is no inherent advantage at Alabama (sans Saban) over Texas.  The needle points the other way  -- environment, recruiting, etc.

While I'm sure Sark is grateful that Saban gave him a chance, Texas did the same.  He moved from a high-D1 program (UDub) to a blueblood (USC) to the bluest of bloods (Texas) AFTER an historic crash and burn.  That was Saban who tabbed him OC . . . it was Texas who tabbed him head coach.

I would be very surprised if he considered the 'bama job for any other reason than to create a bidding war, and I wouldn't fault him for doing that.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think I'll post her face everytime someone post that image just to remind people how ugly she is.

Yeah, okay. I'm not that into face-fucking. Gimme a girl who looks good walking away.

• Prepare your anus 1

13 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Yea, don’t see Sark really seriously considering it, but his agent would be a dumbass to not consider that in a contract renegotiation this offseason and get the man paid bigly.

dude, the Bama hire is gonna happen  probably before the end of MLK day.  its not an offseason negotiation, its literally a RIGHT FUCKING NOW negotiation

If his agent has half a fucking brain, he should have already called CDC and said Bama just offered $10M plus the buyout ammount to come coach them, but since the buyout would count as taxable income for Sark, he would settle for $8.25M this coming year and a guaranteed +250K more every additional year he coaches here. 

Edited by AUS-97HORN

I would call up Pete and give him a two year contract. Dude is 72 but acts like early 60’s. Just my stupid opinion but recruiting would be wild. Also he knows the pro side of it. And the whole coincidence thing with Saban and Carroll. That gives you a chance to really watch the up and comers and then pounce.

I will miss Saban. Beating Bama was a barometer for your team in some ways (not all teams.) he was the standard to beat. It’s weird he didn’t set up his team for a successor I guess or have a farewell tour year. I guess that’s how he wanted it to go. I think he had a bad taste in his mouth from all the fans wanting his ass gone early this year and was like have fun with me gone you ingrate fans. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire